Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Cormac McCarthy General Discussion

Rabid Billybumbler Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Kraken View Post
    I’m looking forward to these books it’s been a long time coming.
    Though I’m having some trouble finding a site to pre order the US editions.
    My usual is book depository but they don’t seem to be listed. Maybe I’m too impatient.
    If anyone knows of a site who can deliver to the UK with adequate packaging I’d appreciate it.
    I’m sure someone here would help you out although shipping cost would probably be higher.

Gunslinger Apprentice Kraken has a spectacular aura about Kraken has a spectacular aura about

Country
    Country Flag

Yes I imagine shipping costs would be pretty high. I’ll wait a bit and hope book depository lists the US edition soon.
    Thanks

Rabid Billybumbler Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of

Country
    Country Flag

I’ll help out if you go that direction. I have boxes and bubble wrap so the books will make it safe (outside of the post office messing with it).

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

What book are you guys talking about here?
    Do you have a link?
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ur2ndbiggestfan View Post
    What book are you guys talking about here?
    Do you have a link?
    https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/08/b...ew-novels.html

Gunslinger Apprentice Kraken has a spectacular aura about Kraken has a spectacular aura about

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Joe315 View Post
    I’ll help out if you go that direction. I have boxes and bubble wrap so the books will make it safe (outside of the post office messing with it).
    Thanks very much very kind of you

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

Okay, I see the books, 1st I heard of them, any limited editions announced? I hope not!
    The boxed set seems nice, $41 pre-order from Amazon.
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ur2ndbiggestfan View Post
    Okay, I see the books, 1st I heard of them, any limited editions announced? I hope not!
    The boxed set seems nice, $41 pre-order from Amazon.
    I would love someone to do a limited edition but McCarthy is not a fan of signing anything.
    However saying that there are a couple of limited editions of his books and some publishers signed editions.

I ordered the UK paperback editions from The Book Depository, just because.
    I had to hunt for THE PASSENGER, which is listed as an unabridged edition, with no mention of whether it's a HC or PB, but it was the same price as the paperback of the other book, so I guess it's a paperback. Very mysterious!

Country
    Country Flag

I ordered the UK hardcovers of both books.
    I now wait patiently for them to add the US edition....

Country
    Country Flag

Goldsboro has both new books up for preorder. Unsigned of course.

- https://www.goldsborobooks.com/produ...maris-unsigned
    - https://www.goldsborobooks.com/produ...enger-unsigned

Country
    Country Flag

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Folio Society is publishing an edition of Blood Meridian ($70):

Multi-layered, violent and beautiful, Cormac McCarthy’s Blood Meridian is a modern classic justly celebrated in this Folio Society edition, illustrated by award-winning artist Gérard DuBois.

Brutal and bleak; unique and compelling, Blood Meridian is widely regarded as Cormac McCarthy’s magnum opus, and one of the greatest American novels of all time. An epic western, it explores the spiralling violence suffered by Americans and Indians along the Texas-Mexican border in the mid-19th century. The disregard for life and law on both sides is a reflection on humanity’s destiny, and who among us might control its fate. Having illustrated our best-selling edition of McCarthy’s The Road, artist Gérard DuBois confronts the relentless savagery with surprising grace in his emotive illustrations, while his binding design leaves no doubt as to the hard-hitting nature of the book.

Bound in printed and blocked paper

Set in Maxime

320 pages

Black & white illustrated title-page spread plus 6 colour illustrations

Plain slipcase

9˝ x 5¾˝

French artist Gérard DuBois’s heart-wrenching illustrations in The Road define our stunning edition and his work will undoubtedly do the same for Blood Meridian. This, the only illustrated edition in print, includes six colour illustrations, which are shockingly violent yet beautiful in their composition and memorable for the meaning they convey. A striking black-and-white title-page illustration is a fitting visual introduction to the narrative, with the horror of death belied by the calm countenance of the young soldier who could almost be mistaken for sleeping.

A modern masterpiece that defies categorisation, Cormac McCarthy’s Blood Meridian is essential reading. At heart a western, it also draws on far older literary traditions, namely The Odyssey and The Iliad, in which man’s place in the universe is questioned and his fate determined. The violence is immediate and appalling, the detail graphic and, at times, difficult to read. And yet in the context of the era and the settings, it is not gratuitous. Rather, McCarthy’s fully formed characters and lyrical prose convey poignancy and prompt contemplation. Based on historical events surrounding the notorious scalp-hunting Glanton Gang, the novel focuses on the endless cycle of attack and retribution, as white Americans try to decimate the indigenous population, both sides indiscriminate in their bloodletting.
    https://www.foliosociety.com/usa/blood-meridian.html
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Citizen of Gilead RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Working my way through "The Passenger." Not an easy read. It has some typical McCarthy gems but a lot of material that is dense. And not in the good way. Not unlike Dan Simmons when he goes off the rails.
    Last edited by RichardX; 06-26-2023 at 07:20 AM.

Rabid Billybumbler Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Default SOLD

If anybody has any interest in the latest Cormac McCarthy “The Passenger/Stella Maris” (Signed Limited set)
    Please let me know.
    I’m planning on listing it on eBay tomorrow for a considerable amount less than what everybody’s asking.
    Probably around 750 ish.
    Both books are flat-signed.
    Both are stated First Edition, no numberline
    Last edited by Cook; 12-11-2022 at 05:45 PM. Reason: SOLD

“The battle between good and evil is endlessly fascinating because we are participants every day.” - Stephen King

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5