Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Which King book should I read next?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Stand

15 57.69%
  • 'Salem's Lot

8 30.77%
  • It

3 11.54%
  • Under the Dome

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Well, What Next?

Citizen of Gilead stone, rose, unfound door is on a distinguished road stone, rose, unfound door's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Give Salem's Lot a try. It's one of the best vampire novels I've ever read. Once you're over with this one, try and read the Long Walk, just because it's one of my all-time favourite books.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I know it wasn't on your list, but I'd definately second The Long Walk if you haven't read it yet. It's at the top of my list as well, (second only to It). It's also a fairly short read so you should be able to breeze thru it and then move onto something else rather quickly.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Ink Heart Jackie is on a distinguished road Jackie's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

IT is a good read. Long but worth it. Even if you have seen the movie already [which you probably have cause its just that type of movie that everyone knows and has seen] because there are so many interesting parts that were left out in the movie [hard to believe i know since like a majority of Sai movies its about 6 hours long (correct me if im wrong) ] It's definitly on my favorites list.

Another one i have just recently finshed that is also one of my favorite books is The Eyes of the Dragon. A pretty amazing book. [And shorter if you were looking for a faster read] This is just another book that Flagg plays a huge part in.

The words written upon this paper, are none compared to the words written upon my heart

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Eyes of the Dragon or The Long Walk. Both are excellent.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Gunslinger Apprentice BeDaN is on a distinguished road BeDaN's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Ok I'll go with EotD 1st - Then Talisman because I had bought Black House not realizing it was the sequel. And I actually was planning on reading Salem's Lot after those 3. Not familiar with The Long Walk but I trust your judgements so I'll take that one up after. Gawd what a list. And yes I have seen the movie It and I love it, that's why I bought the book when I was a kid. It was my first King book actually, it was just so long it really intimidated me back then but now that I'm a very avid reader I'm loving it and wish I would have read it a long time ago.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

So I'm going on a trip in a few days, and I wanted to bring a King book with me but I wasn't sure which one to choose, and I'm not sure I'll even get a chance to start it because I'm bringing some other books but just in case I wanted one handy.

So my choices are Misery, The Dead Zone, or Dolores Claiborne. Which one would you guys suggest.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Dolores!

It's one of those ones that people are utterly divided on, I loved it! But if you're taking it on a trip, chances are you'd be more inclined to finish it even if you didn't like it so much.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I'd suggest Dead Zone, but only because it's divided into chapters, while Dolores is one long continuous narrative. When travelling, I think the chapter breaks would be better. As far as the stories themselves, I'm also a BIG fan of Dolores Claiborne. To me, Dead Zone seems just a bit outdated now.

John

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

MISERY!!! It's a total page-turner.

I like your other choices too, however - all good!

I do agree with jhanic on the chapter thing, though. Dolores Claiborne is hard to find a stopping-spot on.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Traveler zemegauser is on a distinguished road

Default Can anyone suggest some books?

I just recently got into reading some Stephen King books, and I am at the moment reading the Dark Tower series lightning fast because they are amazing. But I was wondering when I get done with this series, if anybody could recommend some books that are very similar to this series. I have been looking at SK's other books, but they all seem *too* much focused on the horror aspect, unlike Dark Tower books.

So yeah, if anybody could help me out with this, I would greatly appreciate it!

P.S: Gunslinger Rocks!

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

The Talisman
    Black House
    The Stand
    It

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

welcome zemegauser

this thread is going to be merged with Well, What Next very soon

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Traveler Ben is on a distinguished road

I strongly agree with The Stand & It (my personal favorite). Although It is definitely more of a "horror title", both that book and The Stand are about groups of people (or Ka-Tet's if you will) that for some reason gravitate towards eachother and have to overcome evil.

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

I would like to second and third, and fourth, I guess - the suggestion for The Stand.

It is actually the first SK that I read and it is, quite honestly, simply wonderful.

It is not horror, per se, but does have some aspects of scary!

And welcome!
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Yep, another vote for The Stand. You won't be sorry!

With A Fist Full Of Steel Arthur Heath is on a distinguished road Arthur Heath's Avatar

3rd Planet on the left in the Milky Way galaxy
    Country
    Country Flag

Zemegauser, Jean speaks true. I received some excellent suggestions from the fine people of DT Dot Com. And welcome!

"As for gunslingers, Roland," Cuthbert says, "I am here. And we are the last."

When two fit, it makes you think
    I got the cute one, my woman
    She says, "Lovin's all I bring"
    And it's her loving that's a wonderful thing.
    Lovin' yes we are, it's such a wonderful thing
    When two fit it makes you think
    See us both in the black
    She lays on me so relaxed.
    -Big D and The Kids Table

Silverloch John_and_Yoko will become famous soon enough John_and_Yoko's Avatar

My Mood
    Angelic

Shame on you all for forgetting Insomnia!

Insomnia is the keystone novel for understanding The Dark Tower!

Shame, shame, shame!

Seriously, you want to read Insomnia. It goes even deeper into Dark Tower mythology than The Dark Tower itself.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

merging... merging...

...merged

Gunslinger Apprentice BeDaN is on a distinguished road BeDaN's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

"Insomnia" was the first non DT book I read of Sai King's, ( Because it's referenced in DT ) and I loved it. I know a lot of people don't like it but I really did, and maybe it's because I was fiending for something along the lines of DT, with the mythology and such. I am towards the end of "The Talisman" and it is awesome, but "Insomnia" came first so it has a special place in my heart. But I cannot wait to finish "The Talisman" and "Black House", maybe after I am done with them I will have changed my mind.

Traveler guitargal81 is on a distinguished road

i liked hearts in atlantis but my two absolute non-tower books are insomnia and the stand...im restarting insomnia for the 19th time (tis true ive counted!) tonight!

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I've always considered Insomnia to be a Dark Tower book except that Roland and his Ka-Tet don't REALLY make an appearance.

John

John F. Kennedy Guy Incognito is on a distinguished road Guy Incognito's Avatar

Default Which should i read....??

Firestarter or Cell?

AAAAAAND GO!

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Firestarter, no comparison.

Country
    Country Flag

this thread is going to be merged with Well, What Next? very soon

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

Thanks Jean,
    I personally think Firestarter is a better book, but I've only read these two books once each, so that's based on first impressions. I actually wouldnt place either of them on a I have to read this book fast just the books awesome list tho. But yeah, I would say that
    out of the 2 Firestarter was a better read for me.

The answer is within

all matter is energy, all energy is GOD

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast