Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: Dr. Sleep - The Shining Sequel

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost Rose View Post
    I'm really having trouble with this one...think he should have skipped a sequel of the Shining and done one on the Cell...I'm not sure I'll ever finish it...
    I don't feel it's really a sequel to The Shining, but more of its own book with references to The Shining incorporated. I think you could easily read Dr. Sleep without having read The Shining.

John
    I agree. It is a story weaved in that fashion. However, I just loved returning to an old friend, so to speak.

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    ... or you could easily skip it and go read something else
    Bears, have been really down on Mr. King for sometime now. Despite your troubles maybe you should lighten up a bit and learn to enjoy the good things a little more and not focus on the bad. That will not help in the least. I mean no ill will, my friend, just trying to offer a helping hand. You rock, post as such!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

I finally read Doctor Sleep. First of 2015, and better late than never I guess. Since some time last year, I decided to read a whole lot more. Had been too focused on collecting. I ended up reading 18 SK books in 2014, and my first of this year was Doctor Sleep.

I really enjoyed the book. I scanned some of the posts in this thread, and I guess where flaws are mentioned, they make sense, but I tend not to over analyze books and find things that are wrong with them. I guess I either just enjoy the book or not, and leave it at that.

For some reason I can't really explain, it felt Buffy The Vampire Slayerish... The gang working together to take out the big bad...or maybe that's only because I'm in the middle of re-watching Buffy for like, I don't know... the 5th time or so...I tend to re-watch all the seasons every few years...

But back to DS. If I had one criticism, it would be the final showdown. Maybe it's just me but the victory over Rose the Hat seemed to be too easy. I was expecting her to put up more of a fight. But don't get me wrong, I was delighted when she was finally vanquished.

Anyway, book reviews are not my strong point as I'm sure you figured out by now... but I liked this one a lot!

Onto the next...

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Just finished reading this one as well. I enjoyed it, although I will say it is far from his best work. Also I feel it didn't really work as a sequel to The Shining. I wish he had written it as a stand alone story. As I read it, I kinda put that in my head so that it wouldn't bother me comparing it to The Shining, which I think is in a completely different league.

Traveler Daburts will become famous soon enough

I thought for all Rose's blustering Abra was never really in danger from her

I actually could see Abra in the future becoming a misguided but dangerous negative force in the world

Millionth Post Club racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Has anyone else seen this?

Perhaps I am simply a madman who dreamt of being sane for a little while.
    — Roland Deschain

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The Losers Club podcast episode on the novel:

https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/con...t/e/65470618#/

Gunslinger Apprentice ratchet41 has a spectacular aura about ratchet41 has a spectacular aura about ratchet41 has a spectacular aura about

Country
    Country Flag

holy shit this hasn't been touched up on 4 and a half years! i started this book this week i'm only 71 pages into it and it's way to early for me to say i like or hate it to be fair. i don't hate it so far though so that's a good start i suppose

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6