Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Dr. Sleep - The Shining Sequel

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

No, I thought as much. I wish he had, too.

I agree with most of the points you've made concerning Doctor Sleep. I'll be back with a review when I am ready to be torn to pieces. The thing is, I didn't like it. At all. Nothing about it.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Traveler bmcmolo is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

I look forward to reading your thoughts. I was really underwhelmed by it - didn't hate it, but I was disappointed, and kinda bored; he's been on such a roll lately, too - so I've been puzzled by some of the gushing reviews I've read. (Though I know how that goes - everything hits everyone differently, after all.)

Hannibal CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by bmcmolo View Post
    "I'm amending my rating to 4 stars. It would have been 4.5 had King been a little meaner and the book a little scarier. "

Absolutely. I mean, I get that he was forsaking the horror for a different kind of story (and I liked the AA stuff, particularly as thematic counterpoint to the alcoholism of The Shining) but the True Knot are just so toothless.

I don't know, still thinking it over... I kind of enjoy it? Maybe the real danger/ power is the alcoholism and the True Knot's lack of menace/ consistent weakness is a metaphor of some kind. Or maybe he just wanted to make REALLY sure that we understood how bad-ass Abra is/was. Meh.

I did think the last few wrap-up chapters were the strongest in the book. Great ending. Everything after the True Knot/ the horrendous Jack-fathered-Lucy reveal.
    Yeah... I mean I didn't *want* something bad to happen but I was a little underwhelmed that after Abra was kidnapped nothing bad happened. I mean look at Black House and the casualties/ramifications there...
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Traveler kingsnake is on a distinguished road

Come to think of it, there was another stand-out flaw (at least to me) that might have been intended as a last-minute correction but resulted in an plot detail that didn't "jive."

Prior to Dan, DJ, and Dave arriving at the Cloud Gap where they planned to ambush the kidnapping party, there is some discussion regarding guns; Billy claims to know where to get "some bigger stuff...some of it much bigger" (referring to more powerful firearms).

So what does Dan wind up arming himself with (besides the deer rifle)?

A Glock .22 pistol.

Hmm...

A .22 features a bullet the size of a pencil eraser and not much gunpowder pushing it. Yes, at close range it can kill, but of all the things to bring to a life-or-death fight with a powerful and mysterious enemy...a .22[/I][/I]?

I have some knowledge in this area, not a whole bunch, but enough to know that what King intended to convey and what was actually depicted didn't work for this scene.

And yes, this is nitpicking, petty, and not really a story -ruining issue, but I just had to mention this. To me, when an author includes details in a story that are out of whack with "how things really are," and yet expects his reading audience to just accept them as legitimate, it kinda throws the story off...

Citizen of Gilead RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I might have missed something, but why was Danny sick toward the end of book? He becomes ill on the way to the final showdown and sees the flies which indicate he may die, but then he turns out to be fine.

President-Matt Fisher Fan Club Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Asleep

Quote Originally Posted by RichardX View Post
    I might have missed something, but why was Danny sick toward the end of book? He becomes ill on the way to the final showdown and sees the flies which indicate he may die, but then he turns out to be fine.
    He sucked all the grannys cancer into himself and then carried it with him until he could release it on the tribe, i mean true knot.

Gunslinger Apprentice Steve will become famous soon enough Steve's Avatar

I finished the book Monday. I thought it was quite good, a real crackling tale of addiction and recovery. I did, however, feel that the True Knot was a bit underwhelming; they reminded me of the Tommyknockers at the end of the book, when they're being mowed down by Shop soldiers and waiting for the air to clear and for them to die out. There was no real threat to any of them, especially in light of Abra's immense talent.

Still, I thought it was a very good book. It was good to see our old friend Dan again.

Also, they made this big deal of Rocky Wood being hired to ferret out errors, but he neglected to check something I realized almost immediately (and it had been years since I'd read "The Shining"): Jack's father was Mark Torrance, not Don. If Mr. Wood is a member of this forum, I apologize if he feels I insulted him; I do, however, think it's funny that I caught that immediately.

"I aim to misbehave."
    -- Malcolm Reynolds

"I am a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar."
    -- Hoban Washburne

"What does that make us?"
    "Big damn heroes, sir."
    "Ain't we just."
    -- Malcolm Reynolds and Zoe Washburne

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    I finished the book Monday. I thought it was quite good, a real crackling tale of addiction and recovery. I did, however, feel that the True Knot was a bit underwhelming; they reminded me of the Tommyknockers at the end of the book, when they're being mowed down by Shop soldiers and waiting for the air to clear and for them to die out. There was no real threat to any of them, especially in light of Abra's immense talent.

I could be wrong, but it seems that you are confusing a few books there.

Still, I thought it was a very good book. It was good to see our old friend Dan again.

Also, they made this big deal of Rocky Wood being hired to ferret out errors, but he neglected to check something I realized almost immediately (and it had been years since I'd read "The Shining"): Jack's father was Mark Torrance, not Don. If Mr. Wood is a member of this forum, I apologize if he feels I insulted him; I do, however, think it's funny that I caught that immediately.

Really? I would have swore it was "Don".

On a side note: The "Big Deal" may have been in sympathy to Mr. Wood' current serious health issues, without mentioning them specifically.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

How so?

"I aim to misbehave."
    -- Malcolm Reynolds

-- Hoban Washburne

"Big damn heroes, sir."
    "Ain't we just."

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

How so?
    "Tommyknockers" refers to "The Tommyknockers" and "The Shop" guys refers to "Firestarter" and niether seem to jive with your previous statement or, am I missing something? Like I said, maybe I read it wrong? No offense intended.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

"Tommyknockers" refers to "The Tommyknockers" and "The Shop" guys refers to "Firestarter" and niether seem to jive with your previous statement or, am I missing something? Like I said, maybe I read it wrong? No offense intended.
    The Shop is mentioned in Book 3 of "The Tommyknockers." The Shop is a unit that appears in several of King's works, including "The Stand" and "The Tommyknockers" and (arguably) "The Mist."

"I aim to misbehave."
    -- Malcolm Reynolds

-- Hoban Washburne

"Big damn heroes, sir."
    "Ain't we just."

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

The Shop is mentioned in Book 3 of "The Tommyknockers." The Shop is a unit that appears in several of King's works, including "The Stand" and "The Tommyknockers" and (arguably) "The Mist."
    W/E. OK, my bad. My apologies. Carry on.

I suppose I just did not see it. Nice catch.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Traveler kingsnake is on a distinguished road

...and "Firestarter" I believe.

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    Jack's father was Mark Torrance, not Don. If Mr. Wood is a member of this forum, I apologize if he feels I insulted him; I do, however, think it's funny that I caught that immediately.
    Really? I would have swore it was "Don".
    "The stone read Mark Anthony Torrance, Loving Father."

With Horrorking.com and Stephen King's own website listing book characters, not sure how that could slip by.

"I aim to misbehave."
    -- Malcolm Reynolds

-- Hoban Washburne

"Big damn heroes, sir."
    "Ain't we just."

Traveler Lady Santos will become famous soon enough Lady Santos's Avatar

My Mood
    Sleepy
    Country
    Country Flag

I LOVED this book. I thought it was a down to the nitty gritty action of the Dark Tower, and I loved it. It enveloped me and transported me. The True Knot may be this world's version of Type 1 vamps--at least in my mind they are, especially since Dan quoted the "there are other worlds than these" line. In this world, T 1's go after steam, not flesh. And Abra reminded me very much of Jake. And the train in teenytown a much more benevolent and silent Blaine. I am still caught up in this world, cant write much more. just--pure and awesome, IMHO
    "I was thinking about Isis, and how she thought I was so reckless."-Isis, Bob Dylan

"Versifying Robin Hoods, stealing from the wealth of our poverty to feed our spirits"-Alan Kaufman, on modern Outlaw poets

Quote Originally Posted by RichardX View Post
    3) The measles. So these bad guys have been up to this for centuries and they never encountered a sick kid before? Even in the days before inoculations? A minor point but it comes off as ridiculous.
    I believe there's an exchange along the lines of:

“We don’t catch rube diseases!”
    “Well... we never used to.”

It's been a while since I read the manuscript, and that might have changed before the final draft, but I took this point to mean they were weaker than they had been in the past, so they were now vulnerable to human diseases that they used to just brush off.

But someone who has read it more recently can probably clarify better than I can!
    Founder and publisher of Lividian Publications. My other website is BrianJamesFreeman.com. Please always feel free to email me or send me a PM if you have any questions about either!

Maerlyn's Imp sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

IMO one of Kings best. This is the good stuff. I love the shotgun take off. I read it late at night with just my Kindle light on. Talk about weird dreams after. It slows down eventually but im sure for good reason. I also think its a good on King to make AA important to Dan as many readers will no doubt be able to connect with him and appreciate what he is going through.
    Im less than half way through but im loving it so far. Definitely some nods to Joe Hill but i kind of like that, since Joe has done the same in his latest novel. I just take it for what it is.
    Really well thought out and driven. I love it!

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

Listened to the audiobook version this week and it was painful. Will Patton has a decent voice but his over dramatization of nearly every sentence in the book was excruciating. Very similar to Steven Webber's reading of It. He was so annoying that I gave up a 1/4 of the way through. I don't know if being an actor has anything to do with it but listening to those guys was the equivalent of reading a book printed in all caps with exclamation points at the end of every sentence.

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

A good King book. By no stretch of the imagination a great King book.

Color me disappointed.
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

so, not only bears are disappointed...

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Aye...profoundly disappointed. But not quite as disappointed as I was with Under the Dome.
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Country
    Country Flag

ooooopppppsssssss

bears loved UtD...

Gunslinger Apprentice mtdman has a spectacular aura about mtdman has a spectacular aura about mtdman's Avatar

My Mood
    Angry
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Aye...profoundly disappointed. But not quite as disappointed as I was with Under the Dome.
    I like this cat.

Hannibal CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Mears View Post
    Listened to the audiobook version this week and it was painful. Will Patton has a decent voice but his over dramatization of nearly every sentence in the book was excruciating. Very similar to Steven Webber's reading of It. He was so annoying that I gave up a 1/4 of the way through. I don't know if being an actor has anything to do with it but listening to those guys was the equivalent of reading a book printed in all caps with exclamation points at the end of every sentence.
    I don't listen to audiobooks much but I thought Weber's rendition was pretty good IMO.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast