Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Dark Tower Chess Set...Who would be....

Along the Path of the Beam Bad Karma will become famous soon enough Bad Karma's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default The Dark Tower Chess Set...Who would be....

Please just post one piece per member, and put it in the format.

Side:

Piece:

Who:

Why:

Along the Path of the Beam Bad Karma will become famous soon enough Bad Karma's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Side: White
    Piece: Knight
    Who: Eddie
    Why: He's a knight for the white.

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Side: White
    Piece: Pawn
    Who: Oy
    Why: Seems the best choice
    Sloth Love Chunk

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Side: white
    Piece: Pawn
    Who: Roland

He is a pawn of the forces he has no control over, and he is a true samurai - you know how much depends on pawns in chess. He is one of the chosen few (gunslingers). He is dead set on getting to that last row, where everything will change for him and he will make all the difference to the current game.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Interesting take, Jean. Who then would be your white King?
    Sloth Love Chunk

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Haha....duh.....that would have to be Stephen KING!!!
    Sloth Love Chunk

Country
    Country Flag

Hmm...Roland as a pawn, nice take on that one Jean..never thought of that perspective. No one has posted any suggestions for the Black side, many are obvious..but many are not.

taking into account Jean's take on Roland above...then is TMIB also a pawn of the Crimson King? Where would Dandelo fit in?..Sylvia Pittison? Who would be equivalent for the black?

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Side: Black
    Piece: Bishop
    Name: Randall Flagg/TMIB
    Why: He's the high priest of chaos!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

On that note,
    Side White
    Name: Father Callahan
    Why? Duh
    Sloth Love Chunk

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by BROWNINGS CHILDE View Post
    On that note,
    Side White
    Name: Father Callahan
    Why? Duh
    Hey, someone had to do the "Black" side sooner or later!!! LOL

And I want some Motherf*cking popsicles, Bitch!!!

LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Country
    Country Flag

Still trying to figure out where ole bad boy Eldred Jonas would fit in...especially since

Spoiler:
    In Wizard and Glass, where we are first introduced to him, sitting at the table in the Traveller's Rest,..Clay Reynolds is thinking (about Eldred) "He often didn't understand Jonas, but he had been riding with him since the age of fifteen....you were apt to end up listening to a cult-manni lecture about the other worlds the old buzzard had visited through what he called "the special doors".."

so I ask, if you'd put TMIB as a black bishop, then what about Eldred..Clay...and Roy...all pawns? hmm..I'd say Eldred maybe as a bishop or rook, the other two as pawns,,,what do y'all think about dem Big Coffin Hunters?

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

I see them as Knights, mainly because of the horses.
    Sloth Love Chunk

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Karma View Post
    Still trying to figure out where ole bad boy Eldred Jonas would fit in...especially since

Spoiler:
    In Wizard and Glass, where we are first introduced to him, sitting at the table in the Traveller's Rest,..Clay Reynolds is thinking (about Eldred) "He often didn't understand Jonas, but he had been riding with him since the age of fifteen....you were apt to end up listening to a cult-manni lecture about the other worlds the old buzzard had visited through what he called "the special doors".."

so I ask, if you'd put TMIB as a black bishop, then what about Eldred..Clay...and Roy...all pawns? hmm..I'd say Eldred maybe as a bishop or rook, the other two as pawns,,,what do y'all think about dem Big Coffin Hunters?
    Yeah, Rooks?
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Karma View Post

Spoiler:

Yeah, Rooks?
    Round (my) these here parts, Rooks are Castles...Towers....so many names for them...

Along the Path of the Beam costanza will become famous soon enough

WaG spolers
    Spoiler:
    I don't know if I'd put the big coffin hunters on the board at all. Reynolds and Depape are barely above country bumpkin status and Jonas is a failed Gunslinger. I don't have any statistics as far as how many of each class make it but I would think it would pretty high. I don't remember the exact ages but I think it was most guys make their try for the teachers stick between 18-21 with 25 as a cutoff. I know Cort and Fardo before him were bad asses but 18-21 you're in the best physical shape you're gonna be for the most part. Roland won when he was 14. I don't know when his schooling started but if these guys who are waiting for another 7, 8, 10 years longer than Roland did and still training in the schools over those years, they must have some pretty good moves by then.

Jonas got bested by Fardo and has the limp to prove it. So at least he didn't chicken out and get sent west because he was afraid to try but he still lost. The bch were a couple of idiots with guns led by a failure. Not to mention when it came down to the final battle between them and three 15 year olds, there was no battle. The kids mowed them down with little to no resistance.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I was so hoping when I saw this thread that someone was going to make a chess set.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    I was so hoping when I saw this thread that someone was going to make a chess set.
    That would be pretty neat!!! We should put Jerome on it!!! He'd find a route to getting it done if anyone can!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

I would sooooo buy one.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by costanza View Post
    Spoiler:
    I don't know if I'd put the big coffin hunters on the board at all. Reynolds and Depape are barely above country bumpkin status and Jonas is a failed Gunslinger. I don't have any statistics as far as how many of each class make it but I would think it would pretty high. I don't remember the exact ages but I think it was most guys make their try for the teachers stick between 18-21 with 25 as a cutoff. I know Cort and Fardo before him were bad asses but 18-21 you're in the best physical shape you're gonna be for the most part. Roland won when he was 14. I don't know when his schooling started but if these guys who are waiting for another 7, 8, 10 years longer than Roland did and still training in the schools over those years, they must have some pretty good moves by then.

Jonas got bested by Fardo and has the limp to prove it. So at least he didn't chicken out and get sent west because he was afraid to try but he still lost. The bch were a couple of idiots with guns led by a failure. Not to mention when it came down to the final battle between them and three 15 year olds, there was no battle. The kids mowed them down with little to no resistance.
    Thanks for your input! I think, though, you should edit your quote and put some SPOILER tabs around it, as a courtesy to anyone who hasn't already read WAG...

I just thought since Jonas is one of the "primary" characters of WAG...he should be included in the set...when you think about it, filling each black piece with a different character can be a challenge...there's quite a few spots to fill.

I would agree with you that Depape and Reynolds may not deserve a place on the board, but Jonas does, if for no other reason than how often he appears in WAG. Without Jonas and the BCH in WAG, the story would be missing quite a bit...quaiff?
    Last edited by Bad Karma; 09-27-2011 at 09:00 AM. Reason: ADDED SPOILER ALERT

Country
    Country Flag

I was thinking Shardik belongs in there too, somewhere.... hmm... how to incorporate the guardians? Gonna have to draw something up now... hehehe

One of The Few The Proud CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    Brice, also my thought!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    DT Spoiler - Enter at your own risk!

Spoiler:
    I can’t remember if I cried
    When I read about Eddie’s widowed bride,
    And something touched me deep inside
    The day the bumbler died.”

Click CAN' Ka No Rey for the entire poem, published in Lighthouse VI!

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

How about Rhea for the other one, then? And I think that it should be the White side and the Red side, no?

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    How about Rhea for the other one, then? And I think that it should be the White side and the Red side, no?
    Yeah, now that I think about it, yes...RED for sure. So many other characters out there! Here's a tough one...Does Roland's mother deserve a spot on the board? Personally, I think she and Steven influenced Roland so much (mayhap more than "typical" parents) that each deserve a spot...

But, does Gabrielle end up on the Red side or the White?

In the DT Chess set, maybe there should be a "Grey" set as well...hmm..

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Or a "Pink" set? Doubly appropriate!

Traveler SalSolomon is on a distinguished road

I know it's a lot of work, but I think you really have to propose an entire set. One piece per member is easy. I can justify why 4 different characters should be the white king, or the white bishop, etc. Making the actual decisions to leave some out and keep some in is the tough part. 16 characters on each side. Who's in, who's out? 8 major white pieces, the 5 of the ka-tet almost have to be in there right? The King is what gets protected in chess, that could be: the rose, the tower, SKing, the beam (bear/turtle) or the beams generally. The queen is the most powerful piece, could be the beam or beams, could be Roland or King.
    For the Black, Crimson King, Walter, Mordred, need to be key pieces. Farson is a big deal, I guess. I would go with Stephen King and Crimson King as the 2 kings. Walter and Roland could be the queens.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast