• To live well

8 80.00%
  • To die well

1 10.00%
  • I can't vote because...

1 10.00%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: To live well or to die well

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Default To live well or to die well

Somewhere quite long time ago we talked about this topic and I loved it a lot.
    Which do you think is harder?
    To live well?
    Or to die well?

Roland would have understood.

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I voted live well, because in comparison to the span of your life, in most cases, dying takes up very little of your time.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

so did I, for much the same reasons.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Anyway I think if we live well we can die well.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I don't know. We can hope to die well, and pray for that - the novena to St.Joseph goes, "I ask particularly for the grace of a happy death", and there's a Russian orthodox prayer especially emphasizing the desire to die a death free of disgrace. It's something to aspire to, but not to be taken for granted.

Country
    Country Flag

And what does 'dying well' mean for you, Jean?

Country
    Country Flag

first, it's that old slogan, Death Before Dishonor. I know it's teenagerly... samurai-ish... but very important to me nevertheless.

next, I would like to die without becoming a burden to anyone.

Country
    Country Flag

I see, it's absolutely understandable, thank you for your answer, Jean.

Vagrant Dead Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking

I've only done the living part..so that's my answer
    Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think.

Breaker Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

How you lived will most likely be what you are remembered for, so thats what I chose. But, I find it very important to not die in a meaningless death

Country
    Country Flag

What's a meaningless death like, Brian?

Breaker Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Becoming something near the end, when you are totally forgotten and dismissed

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Thats the fate of too many senior citizens I think. But its not fault on their part, more that of those who should be near and dear to them

Country
    Country Flag

Oh I see. I thought you meant to die as saving someone else or something like that.

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Yes, and thank you for understanding what I ment Dark, I thought I may have written that a little unclear

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    Oh I see. I thought you meant to die as saving someone else or something like that.
    No, I think if you die to save someone else, very honorable

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Dude, I'm going out kicking and screaming. No joke.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Hmmm, I'm not really sure how to answer the question.

You see I'd consider dying with honor, simply for honor's sake (or to save face to put it another way) is slightly insane. I'm thinking of samurai committing seppuku as an example.

On the other hand, dying with honor to defend a life changing cause or protest a life threatening regime (suffragettes or buddhist monks for this example) is still extreme, but it commands respect.

However, not being in either of those positions, I would say to live well should be the aim. To lead by living example rather than to compensate with a sacrifice.

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Daghain View Post
    HA HA! That was exactly what I was thinking!!!
    Buddy, you think you look strong? You’re wearing a cape.

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

I don't know. Just last Sunday (not this one but the one before) my mother my brother (Raron) and I all went to a mass held in honor of the deceased members of the Knights of Columbus who passed away this year (my father was one) and the priest went on and on and on that it doesn't matter how good a person we are, we're not going to go straight to heaven, we're just going to suffer in purgatory a long time. So, if that's true - which I can't imagine because I believe that God is a Loving God - then I hope I live a looooooong time so that way I'll shorten my suffering more.
    I just don't understand that. I'm not trying to start a philosophical debate, but he said that we should all live to die well and that we will only be home once we have died.
    I think they are both hard; one just takes less time if we're lucky

Country
    Country Flag

Some priests are very good at scaring the hell out of the people.

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

True. But if that was true for all priests, I wouldn't bother ever going to church. I worry enough as it is!

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quite simply...I don't believe you can die well unless you live well first.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, there you go.

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Daghain View Post
    Me also, they'll remember me

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast