Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: HOW TO: Identify First Editions and First Printings

Along the Path of the Beam Gris will become famous soon enough Gris's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Hutch, that link way back at the beginning is dead. Do you have a new one by any chance?
    -Craig

Wanted!!
    Bachman Books HC 1st/1st
    Red Leather Dreamcatcher
    Red Leather Everything's Eventual

Shoot me a PM if you have any of the above!

My Collection

If you are considering a DropBox account, please also consider using me as a reference...
    http://db.tt/Msd4eKO

Gunslinger Apprentice Hutch will become famous soon enough Hutch's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Thank you.
    I killed that page. I just modified the link in my original post to a new page a that's in my store. Here's the new page :
    http://www.marketworks.com/storefron...=30007&type=e2

Quote Originally Posted by Gris View Post
    Hutch, that link way back at the beginning is dead. Do you have a new one by any chance?

Citizen of Gilead pixiedark76 will become famous soon enough pixiedark76 will become famous soon enough pixiedark76's Avatar

My Mood
    Bored
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Price clipped dust jackets

I have a question about dust jackets and first editions. I have some dust jackets that are price clipped, but the ISBN numbers match for the first edition printing. (I looked them up in Stephen King a primary bibliography, by Justin Brooks.) I heard that first editions can have book club edition dust jackets. If the dust jacket is price clipped, does that decrease the value of the book.

Can you get first editions from a book club? I got a lot of books from Double Day book club.

Citizen of Gilead pixiedark76 will become famous soon enough pixiedark76 will become famous soon enough pixiedark76's Avatar

My Mood
    Bored
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Printings and first editions

I have a question about number of printings and first editions. I have a fourth printing of the Talisman, is it still a first edition? Is a fourth printing worth less than a first printing?

Goldmember Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pixiedark76 View Post
    I have a question about number of printings and first editions. I have a fourth printing of the Talisman, is it still a first edition? Is a fourth printing worth less than a first printing?
    This is one of those opinion type conversations and you will get many different answers on this.

I for one hate the First Edition First Print, First Edition Second Print and so on.

It's either a first edition or not. A first edition is the first print run. Final.

Anything after that I could care less about.

Now keep this in mind. A 1st edition jacket can carry over onto later prints sometimes. This is where you see an auction that says 1st edition 4th print. The jacket is the real value in this case.

Just my view on the question.

Mulleins
    Cumberland VA
    Last edited by Room 217 Caretaker; 04-14-2009 at 02:27 PM. Reason: Added more

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I agree. Also, a price-clipped dust jacket drastically lowers the value, first edition or not. The ONLY exception to this is the second-state jacket for Salem's Lot, which was price-clipped by the publisher and printed with a different price.

John

Hankerin' for poundcake gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I agree with you both. First/first period the end!

This collecting stuff is a sickness! ~Patrick

Along the Path of the Beam Spaceman Spiff is on a distinguished road Spaceman Spiff's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

There's a lot of great information in here!

Thanks, everyone!
    John
    My Stephen King collection
    Last edited by Spaceman Spiff; 10-15-2009 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Added manual Signature

Demon of the Prim ChristineB is a jewel in the rough ChristineB is a jewel in the rough ChristineB is a jewel in the rough ChristineB's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

For me I agree with the others here.

The First Edition is the first printing of the book, period. Anything after that I really don't care about.

As to whether the subsiquent printings have worth? Well that depends on the book. The Gunslinger 2nd print is worth a bit of money, not that I would pay anything for it. Buying a later printing of one of the Doubledays to get a better DJ is a good idea (assuming the DJ in question is identical to the original), but I would not pay much for it myself.

Demon of the Prim ChristineB is a jewel in the rough ChristineB is a jewel in the rough ChristineB is a jewel in the rough ChristineB's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pixiedark76 View Post
    Can you get first editions from a book club? I got a lot of books from Double Day book club.
    No. A book club edition is just that not a first edition. However there is one case this is not true with SK, Secret Windows was only printed by a book club therefore it is the only edtion of the book. It will not be worth much since it is impossible to tell what printing you are dealing with.

Many BCE will have different dimensions, colors on the cover, and end paper colors.

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm going to add an addendum to this Christine. There are also people who collect the old red leather bound Stephen King Library editions as well which were only available through the Stephen King Library, a book club in itself. Additionally, as my wife is a SK Library member we received Under The Dome last week. The edition we received IS a First Edition from S&S from everything I can tell. The cover is identical in every way to the cover of the book I purchased at the Atlanta B&N signing except it is the white letters cover instead of the grey letters. The actual book itself is also identical to the edition from B&N. Perhaps because of the size of the book it was cheaper to just get books from S&S than to print them themselves. Either way, I received an actual First Edition from a book club. This is the only King book to be done so, as all the others I got from the SK Library have been obvious Book Club Editions.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

Country
    Country Flag

Oh, and Christine, don't forget to throw out your dust jackets so your library can look like a "proper" library.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

Hankerin' for poundcake gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Oh, and Christine, don't forget to throw out your dust jackets so your library can look like a "proper" library.
    NOOOOOOO!!!!

This collecting stuff is a sickness! ~Patrick

Country
    Country Flag

That was from a woman that was in line with us in Atlanta Gretchen, hence the .

Anyway, this lady told us that she throws away the dust jacket whenever she buys a book. I can't remember if she or someone behind her was the one who told us their interior decorator had told them if you want a "proper" library you had to remove all the dust jackets. My wife's a librarian, and I've been in many, many libraries, and we both agree that in every ACTUAL library we've seen the books had dust jackets on them.

I will never understand why someone would throw out their dust jackets, but damn she did. Every last one. I hope she never buys a copy of Salem's Lot.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

The edition we received IS a First Edition from S&S from everything I can tell. The cover is identical in every way to the cover of the book I purchased at the Atlanta B&N signing except it is the white letters cover instead of the grey letters. The actual book itself is also identical to the edition from B&N. Perhaps because of the size of the book it was cheaper to just get books from S&S than to print them themselves. Either way, I received an actual First Edition from a book club. This is the only King book to be done so, as all the others I got from the SK Library have been obvious Book Club Editions.
    What if any price is listed inside the dustjacket?
    If a bookclub sends out actual first editions, unless one discloses that the book was from a bookclub, it is a first edition-no difference.. Rarely does a bookclub edition meet the points of a first trade edition book, and also have the original Dj that indicates the proper Issue price, ISBN etc.

Edit:
    Measurements? I measure an off the shelf 1st UTD as ~9 7/16"x 6 7/16" x 2 3/8"

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    The edition we received IS a First Edition from S&S from everything I can tell. The cover is identical in every way to the cover of the book I purchased at the Atlanta B&N signing except it is the white letters cover instead of the grey letters. The actual book itself is also identical to the edition from B&N. Perhaps because of the size of the book it was cheaper to just get books from S&S than to print them themselves. Either way, I received an actual First Edition from a book club. This is the only King book to be done so, as all the others I got from the SK Library have been obvious Book Club Editions.
    What if any price is listed inside the dustjacket?
    If a bookclub sends out actual first editions, unless one discloses that the book was from a bookclub, it is a first edition-no difference.. Rarely does a bookclub edition meet the points of a first trade edition book, and also have the original Dj that indicates the proper Issue price, ISBN etc.

Edit:
    Measurements? I measure an off the shelf 1st UTD as ~9 7/16"x 6 7/16" x 2 3/8"
    The price listed on the inside of the dust jacket is the same as the one from B&N... $35.00. Even the ISBN is the same on the back of the jacket. The paper quality feels the same, and the two books together are the same size (I didn't bother with a tape measurement).

Honestly, if the two dust jackets were the same color (one is grey and the other is white after all) I couldn't tell the two apart.
    Remove the dust jackets, and the only way to tell the two apart is the signature in the copy from the signing.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Sam, you mention the SKL BCE has a white-lettered dustjacket. Is it the same one that has been a topic of discussion in the UTD thread?

Country
    Country Flag

Not knowing which thread you mean, I can't say. There's something like four or five UTD threads right now.

The DJ on the book club edition is the same as the white lettered edition that can be found in stores right now.

The first picture here is the jacket I'm talking about.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Yep, that's the dust jacket I was asking about.

Looks like you're right, the SKL simply sent out the standard S&S First Edition and called it a day.

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Anyway, this lady told us that she throws away the dust jacket whenever she buys a book.
    I will never understand why someone would throw out their dust jackets, but damn she did. Every last one. I hope she never buys a copy of Salem's Lot.
    It's a "Class" thing. In Europe, only the "Lower" classes have dust jackets on their books.

Just thank God you don't live in a Monarchy.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

If having the dustjackets on my first editions makes me lower class I'm cool with that and will cheerfully remain firmly ensconced in my station in life.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Country
    Country Flag

Yeh Sam, I'll get right on that, just after I read all his books again, and finish off my collection of all the 1st appearances of his short stories, and get all the comics, and get all the non-fiction and get all the S/L's and....

God that lady still makes me shudder. I did include that in my write up in the UTD signing thread in my story there. Don't forget the guy's mom whose interior decorator told her the DJ didn't fit with his design and had her dispose of all her DJ in her SK collection. That would be one dead or very poor interior designer after I got through with him.

Country
    Country Flag

The price listed on the inside of the dust jacket is the same as the one from B&N... $35.00. Even the ISBN is the same on the back of the jacket. The paper quality feels the same, and the two books together are the same size (I didn't bother with a tape measurement).

Honestly, if the two dust jackets were the same color (one is grey and the other is white after all) I couldn't tell the two apart.
    Remove the dust jackets, and the only way to tell the two apart is the signature in the copy from the signing.
    Wow, that is interesting, I wonder if BMOC did the same.

All the BCE I have from SKL are regular BCE, they have no price on the DJ. I got out of the club back in 96, but the last book I got from them was interesting. It is a copy of Insomnia, the book block seems to be exactly the same as the 1st print of the book including the copywrite page complete with number line. However the binding is different, different color end pages, different cover color. The DJ is a regular BCE with no price. I wonder if book clubs are going to just start using the trade printings in the future.

Along the Path of the Beam Gris will become famous soon enough Gris's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

To get Sams' back...

The Stephen King book club has often sent real 1st/1st's instead of BCE editions. I'd say that in the time frame between From a Buick 8 and now, about have have been trues 1sts and half have been BCEs.

I'm not sure why some are and some aren't. Maybe preorder status or something.

As far as the book covers being removed for a "proper library"...

It's not uncommon to hear, but I find it silly. Point is sposed to be that you have a much more uniform appearance if you have matte cloth bindings being displayed rather than dust jackets.
    -Craig

Wanted!!
    Bachman Books HC 1st/1st
    Red Leather Dreamcatcher
    Red Leather Everything's Eventual

Shoot me a PM if you have any of the above!

My Collection

If you are considering a DropBox account, please also consider using me as a reference...
    http://db.tt/Msd4eKO

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Gris View Post
    As far as the book covers being removed for a "proper library"...

It's not uncommon to hear, but I find it silly. Point is sposed to be that you have a much more uniform appearance if you have matte cloth bindings being displayed rather than dust jackets.
    But there's still is a big difference between simply removing the dustjackets (and storing them) vs. destroying them altogether.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast