Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: tommyknockers discussion

Gunslinger Apprentice subie09lega will become famous soon enough subie09lega will become famous soon enough subie09lega's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Currently reading this for the second time. The first time was when it was released when I was in high school. I have fond memories of it but I don't remember a lot from the first read so there's a lot of surprises. Just got past the part when Hilly made David disappeared. Kind of heartbreaking. Looking forward to getting to the end again.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

hope you'll love it the second time at least as much as the first

we need more Tommyknockers lovers here

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gunslinger Apprentice subie09lega will become famous soon enough subie09lega will become famous soon enough subie09lega's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

....knocking at my door...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    hope you'll love it the second time at least as much as the first

we need more Tommyknockers lovers here

Demon of the Prim Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I loved Tommyknockers!!

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

: bearhugs :

Country
    Country Flag

I finished this last Friday (and have since finished Joyland). It's amazing how much I forgot about it since I read this back when it was released.

Citizen of Gilead Roland of Gilead 33 will become famous soon enough Roland of Gilead 33's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

oh i love the book. the puppets coming to life scares the shit out of me if i'm reading it late at night. he he. it's really scary shit. he he. anyways, i also love when Gard is driving the spaceship and we learn what's going outside of the spaceship as well. the only complaint for me about the book i have is that it's far to slow at first. and it takes Gard fucking FOREVER to get to bobby's house. when he comes to her house that's when shit hits the fan.

and the book picks up. other than that great book. some hate it but i love it. hell i even enjoy the Tv film. and i saw it long before i even read the book. i remember when it 1st came out as well back than. but i wasn't reading SK at the time. my brother who's older was. and i think he even enjoyed it. when i watch the film i take it for what it is. a fun little film. kinda like the film "IT i love it to death. even though i know they cut far to much out of the book. i do have a question on that though. on IMDB boards not to long ago someone mentioned originally there was a 6 hr. cut is this true? sorry for going off topic but this is just bugging me that's all

Along the Path of the Beam rico567 is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by Bryant Burnette View Post
    The Tommyknockers represent unchecked and irresponsible technological progress. Specifically, nuclear power. So when King was talking about the Tommyknockers being, real, I assume he was referring to the proliferation of nuclear power plants specifically, and technological progress in general.

For the record, I agree that it's a very underrated novel. The love story is one of King's best, although what works about it is the degree to which it demonstrates the fact that sometimes, love is nowhere near enough.
    Nuclear power wasn't the problem in the book, just as it is not in the real world. The problem lies in people.

Tommyknockers is a good book....although it encapsulates (in King's only real foray into science fiction) the author's complete rejection of a future made benevolent by technology or alien contact. The possibility of evil always lies buried in human nature, just as in that buried ship. We can believe that we are to be enslaved and controlled by outside forces, or exercise our free will. Which is the first choice.

I'm not complaing about the writing, i'ts well done. King's not grinding his political ax visibly- as, unfortunately, he has resorted to in the November of his writing years in, e.g, Under the Dome.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by rico567 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryant Burnette View Post
    The Tommyknockers represent unchecked and irresponsible technological progress. Specifically, nuclear power. So when King was talking about the Tommyknockers being, real, I assume he was referring to the proliferation of nuclear power plants specifically, and technological progress in general.

For the record, I agree that it's a very underrated novel. The love story is one of King's best, although what works about it is the degree to which it demonstrates the fact that sometimes, love is nowhere near enough.
    Nuclear power wasn't the problem in the book, just as it is not in the real world. The problem lies in people.

Tommyknockers is a good book....although it encapsulates (in King's only real foray into science fiction) the author's complete rejection of a future made benevolent by technology or alien contact. The possibility of evil always lies buried in human nature, just as in that buried ship. We can believe that we are to be enslaved and controlled by outside forces, or exercise our free will. Which is the first choice.

I'm not complaing about the writing, i'ts well done. King's not grinding his political ax visibly- as, unfortunately, he has resorted to in the November of his writing years in, e.g, Under the Dome.
    I have to give this a re-read, but I always remember it being a good King story. I'll be back after I finish it again. Good points!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Gunslinger Apprentice mtdman has a spectacular aura about mtdman has a spectacular aura about mtdman's Avatar

My Mood
    Angry
    Country
    Country Flag

I could not get past the discussion of the main female character's periods and pads, and the fact that the poet character was a huge liberal douche. I gave up on it.

Gunslinger Apprentice Bryant Burnette will become famous soon enough Bryant Burnette's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mtdman View Post
    I could not get past the discussion of the main female character's periods and pads, and the fact that the poet character was a huge liberal douche.
    Sounds about right that those two sentiments would go together.

Citizen of Gilead RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I haven't read Tommyknockers since it was released. I don't recall it among my favorites. Perhaps my recollection is clouded by the terrible TV movie. I have to give Traci Lords credit, though, for promoting a renewed interest in the postal service. She did wonders for their image. I actually got her to sign my copy of the book. A bit of trivia, but she signs her name Traci Lord sans the "s". At this event, she was using some type of glitter pen and somehow got it all over her chest. My wife and a friend are standing there taking my picture and I'm thinking whatever you do don't be photographed "staring at the glitter on Traci Lord's (sans the s) bosum." Imagine the will power. It was like some weird nightmare. That probably does not promote much insight into the book, but has the merit of being a true story.

Gunslinger Apprentice Bryant Burnette will become famous soon enough Bryant Burnette's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I reread the book a few years ago, and found that my memory of it had definitely been clouded by the movie. The novel has some structure issues, but for the most part, it's great.

Traveler bmcmolo is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Love The Tommyknockers. That's in my top 10.

Country
    Country Flag

Along the Path of the Beam rico567 is on a distinguished road

I have lived seventy summers, and would only counsel: If you happen to see a movie first, never, ever let it prevent you from at least starting the book with an open mind. Book ≠ move, and vice-versa.*

*Unless that book is The DaVinci Code (or anything else by Dan Brown), then run away quickly.

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

I'm currently reading this for the first time. I just reached the part last night where Hilly did the magic trick and made David disappear.
    I'm really enjoying this, especially now that the story is spreading out into what's going on with other people in Haven.

Citizen of Gilead Roland of Gilead 33 will become famous soon enough Roland of Gilead 33's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

what's also interesting is the outer limits episode centered around Becca i believe her character is named? it's been a long time since i last read the book and saw the film. but i believe Amanda Plummer played Becca

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

Amanda Plummer was in NEEDFULTHINGS...Allyce Beasley was in The TOMYKNOCKERS.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

i looked it up, i was wrong about who played becca here's the page on wikipedia
    Code:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Revelations_of_Becka_Paulson
    great episode too

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Here is The Losers Club podcast episode on the book:

https://consequenceofsound.net/2019/...tommyknockers/

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Definitely in my top 5 Kings books. The inventions (their possibilities and possible consequences) captured my imagination like no other book since The Stand. Tommyknockers is probably #3 on my list. It lit a fire in my imagination and I was stoked to see the movie and all the directions the writers could take the inventions. Yeah well...the move might have been worse than The Dark Tower movie. But I am able to separate the book and the movie.

...all last night and the night before...
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Country
    Country Flag

never watched the movie, inventions are things bears are the least interested in; and the book is definitely in my top 10. Because of the people, of course, as usual with King, the people and what happens to them. And the concept of "new and improved" is one of the scariest ever, on many levels.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

So this is a book that I've really been wanting to revisit lately. I read it back, probably in the late 90s, so my memory of it is very cloudy. However I do remember really enjoying it, but it seems as if it's a universally hated book now. So I'm curious if I will enjoy it as much on a reread. Is this just a new trend, because reading through some of these comments, it seems as if a bunch of you also really enjoyed it.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

IDK Heather, I enjoyed it from day 1 and page 1 when i read it back in '87 maybe...you know... the olden days...by candlelight.. from a candle I made from the tallow of a beloved pet. Of course this was before paper. It was a BITCH lugging around 550 stone tablets. But then, that was before gravity so it wasn't as hard as it seems.
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast