Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Under the Dome series on CBS

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

I saw the first episode last night -- they're using a lot of material out of the book, though not necessarily in the same order as it occurs in the book. A lot of things are different, though, too. Barbie is up to something much different in the opening scene than what happens in the novel. Julia is a lot different than I pictured her in the book (not a bad change -- she's a cutie!) and she's a relative newcomer to town. The stuff that goes on between Junior and his "girl" has a different outcome, too. It isn't a woodchuck that gets cut in half when the dome comes down but rather a cow! I'll review for FEARnet closer to June 24.

Demon of the Prim ChristineB is a jewel in the rough ChristineB is a jewel in the rough ChristineB is a jewel in the rough ChristineB's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

So it sounds like we need to go into watching this series as a situation where they just use the back drop of the book to kick off a series, not an adaptation of the actual events in the book itself.

I can do that. As long as the premise works, if it's like the first few episodes of Revolution they will lose me quick.
    Christine

Maerlyn's Imp sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

I know I will probably take a beating for this but... I really couldn't get into the book. I hope the series is faster paced. The book had some good moments as well as some heart stopping ones but it was just too bloated with boring filler for me. I was speed reading through most of it. I do think its a cool concept for a series though. I'm looking forward to it.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by sgc1999 View Post
    I know I will probably take a beating for this but... I really couldn't get into the book. I hope the series is faster paced. The book had some good moments as well as some heart stopping ones but it was just too bloated with boring filler for me. I was speed reading through most of it. I do think its a cool concept for a series though. I'm looking forward to it.
    Hey, to each his own,right? I usually enjoy King, even when he gets a little bloated. The single issue to me was the ending. He kinda screwed the pooch on that imho. He's done that a few times where it almost feels like he wrote himself into a hole and had no way out. The Stand, comes to mind as one example. JMHO is all.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Can Toi Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck's Avatar

New Zealand (pronounced Noo Zeeland if you want to get the accent right...)
    My Mood
    Angelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I can understand people's feelings re the end of the book (although I enjoyed it), and so think that's probably why the tv series is going to differ. I'm actually quite excited to see where they choose to take the storyline...

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jimimck View Post
    I can understand people's feelings re the end of the book (although I enjoyed it), and so think that's probably why the tv series is going to differ. I'm actually quite excited to see where they choose to take the storyline...
    And I as well!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

http://io9.com/spoiler-free-preview-...unde-512632458
    We've seen the pilot episode of the much-anticipated new series, Under the Dome, based on the Stephen King novel where a small town finds itself trapped under an invisible, impenetrable dome with no explanation. Yes, it's freakin' scary. Here are our spoiler-free first impressions.

In some ways Under the Dome is the perfect King tale, because it's basically a scenario where a single, incomprehensible event occurs that prevents everybody from escaping the psychological pressure cooker known as a small town in Maine. Nothing is more scary than your neighbors, especially when all roads away from them are blocked by a force field.

The pilot episode introduces us to our gang of heroes and villains: Barbie is a man with a tough past who nevertheless knows right from wrong; Julia is the rattled but headstrong town journalist; Junior is a psychopathic college student; and Big Jim (Breaking Bad's Dean Norris) is Junior's power-hungry father. We get the sense that in this town, the balance has always been wobbling dangerously between the forces of clear-eyed rationality and those of authoritarian madness.

We're given time to get to know our characters briefly before the truly chilling scene where the dome comes down. Slowly, people inside and outside begin to realize that something creepy is happening, and the tension is fantastic. There's the human drama of who is trapped in the town and who is trapped outside — families and marriages are broken apart — but then there's also just the incredible weirdness of this . . . invisible thing. It blocks sound, electricity, and radio waves. The townspeople can only communicate by writing things down and pressing them against the dome for people on the outside to read.

There are also some outsiders who are stuck in the town, as well as a strange affliction that seems to be striking a few teenagers. Is the affliction related to the dome? What is the dome made of? And who is going to take over the town now that nobody from outside can intervene? Already, we've got some major hints that things are going to get very ugly, very fast.

Overall, it's a promising pilot episode. The dome itself is properly bizarre and scary, and I'm already dying to know what's going to happen next with these messed up characters.

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

Lilja has posted video interviews with many of the cast members: http://www.liljas-library.com/

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Country
    Country Flag

http://news.radio.com/2013/06/13/ins...nder-the-dome/
    Stephen King is a big fan of music, and musicians seem to reciprocate. In 1986, AC/DC’s Who Made Who, featuring some of the band’s biggest hits and a few brand new songs (including the title track), served as the soundtrack to Maximum Overdrive, a film directed by King and based on his short story “Trucks.” The Ramones wrote the theme song to the 1989 film adaptation of his book Pet Sematary, while the 1994 TV miniseries adaptation of his novel The Stand used Blue Oyster Cult’s “Don’t Fear The Reaper” while showing the effects of a deadly disease that wiped out 99 percent of the world’s population.

So, almost needless to say, the upcoming CBS miniseries adaptation of his 2009 novel, Under The Dome, will have some great music moments as well. Radio.com spoke to Dome Music Supervisor Ann Kline, who has worked on The West Wing, Third Watch and ER, about how music will be used on the 13-part series, which premieres June 24 and follows the story of a small Maine town that has mysteriously been cut off from the rest of the world by a impenetrable but invisible dome.

King’s tastes generally fall within punk rock, heavy rock and Americana (see the “Ultimate Playlist” he wrote for his now-retired Entertainment Weekly column, The Pop Of King). However, the first song to be mentioned in the novel itself is LCD Soundsystem’s “North American Scum,” an electronic anthem from Brooklyn’s most tried and true trendsetters.

“We really did want to use that,” Kline said of “North American Scum.” “We just couldn’t afford it! We put it in the scene, it worked great! Hopefully you’ll like what we put in instead. It would have been cool to use.”

She says that, for a number of reasons be it cost or otherwise, the music mentioned in the novel won’t always make it to the miniseries.

“We can’t always use exactly what’s in the book, but the producers, directors and writers are totally cool and open-minded about using new and independent bands. It’s great to hear music that you know, but it’s also exciting to discover something new. But the story comes first.”

She’s hesitant to reveal specific songs, but one she will say that makes the series is Skeeter Davis’ 1962 hit “End Of The World,” which has been covered by Loretta Lynn, Best Coast and John Mellencamp, among others). “[Executive Producer] Neal Baer brought up the song in a music meeting and everyone in the room thought it would be a cool song for the show,” she said, referencing the shared theme of the apocalypse.

The miniseries is set in present time, and Kline points out that it features newly released music from the likes of Portugal. The Man and Fitz & The Tantrums.

“Some of the more fun music we use is for the kids who live in the town,” Kline said. “Some of them are left with no parents, or one parent, there’s no school, so they have this new freedom.”

After the initial meetings about the show, Kline says her job really starts when a script is delivered to her. “If there’s a song that they need on camera, that they need to shoot to, I work on that immediately,” she explains. But more frequently, a song is used as background music, or to enhance a scene in some way, so more of her work entails figuring out what songs to put into a scene after it has been shot.

As previously mentioned, much of Kline’s background is in TV dramas; she cites her time spent working with writer/director Aaron Sorkin on The West Wing as one highlight due to his specific process.

“The way Aaron would write music into shows was so thoughtful and cool,” she explained. “There were episodes that were about a song, I loved that. Plus I got to work with so many cool artists, from Yo-Yo Ma to the Foo Fighters.”

Her work hasn’t been limited to television, though, working on films such as Quentin Tarantino’s Jackie Brown.

“It was such a different experience,” Kline said of working with Tarantino. “He wrote every song into the script and every single song worked beautifully. Usually you get a script, and some songs are written in and some work, and some don’t, some are placeholders. In the Jackie Brown script, we didn’t change anything. I still listen to the soundtrack all the time, and I love all the dialogue clips in it!”

Under The Dome premieres June 24 at 10 p.m. ET/PT on CBS and runs for 13 weeks.

Guardian of the Beam ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I don't know if it has been posted yet, but King wrote an article about Under the Dome in EW's latest issue...

Country
    Country Flag

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Many thanks to "TDT.Org Senior Correspondent"!!!!! Pablo, you rock!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Country
    Country Flag

https://www.facebook.com/events/396031193849498/

Join us for a LIVE video chat with Stephen King from Under The Dome on Thursday, June 20th at 3:30pm ET, 12:30pm PT.

RSVP now and leave your questions in the comments below.
    Don't forget to use #AskStephen when tweeting your questions on Twitter.

You will be able to view the LIVE video here:
    http://www.cbs.com/connect/events/224275/

The Reddit Ask Me Anything event follows at 4:15.

My review should be up at FEARnet tomorrow.

That was pretty cool--I received a phone call this evening from the president of FEARnet thanking me for my review!

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks for the (pre)view, Bev. I hadn't planned on watching the show--I've been disappointed too many times--but I think I'll give this a try.

John

Country
    Country Flag

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/23/ar...pagewanted=all
    Rosie’s General Store serves breakfast all day, and it’s the type of place where residents of this town of 1,140 will stop in to buy lottery tickets, a loaf of bread or the special jumbo lobster roll. It’s also the inspiration for the Sweetbriar Rose, a diner in Stephen King’s 2009 opus about a small town cut off from the outside world by a mysterious and impenetrable dome.

A television adaptation of that novel, “Under the Dome,” will have its premiere on Monday night on CBS, which was why Mr. King found himself talking one day recently with the real-life Rose about the TV version of her character, one of nearly 70 in his 1,074-page doorstop of a novel. “I told you I want to be taller and thinner,” Rose McKenzie told Mr. King heartily as he ate blueberry pancakes with maple syrup.

“And through the power of narration, you are,” he assured her.

After nearly 100 television and film adaptations of his novels and short stories, Mr. King is used to the Hollywood version of his characters ending up younger and more glamorous than their often-haggard literary counterparts. It’s one of those things he doesn’t try to fight. He has developed a rule about collaborating on adaptations of his work: “Usually my attitude is go all the way in or all the way out, but don’t be a noodge,” Mr. King said.

But he’s being something of a noodge about “Under the Dome.” After reading the script for a coming episode, Mr. King was concerned that in it, Jim Rennie Jr., the degenerate son of the town’s alpha male, says that he scraped his hand while cutting wood with an ax. “I said, ‘Ax and hand, really?’ ” Mr. King said. “I had them change it to hatchet.” A hatchet’s blade is closer to the user’s hand, he explained.

Rather than turn the series over entirely to the producers, as he has with other adaptations to varying degrees of success, Mr. King has stayed involved, and it seems fitting. “Under the Dome” encapsulates the arc of his writing career: Started before he became a published novelist, the book was released 37 years later, when he was so renowned that the e-book version contributed to a price war.

The television series won’t have much effect one way or the other on Mr. King’s reputation as a master storyteller. CBS, by comparison, has more at stake with “Under the Dome,” as it risks shaking up the reliable models for summer television and online streaming.

Not only is it unusual for a broadcast network to introduce a dramatic series in late June, but CBS has broken with network tradition by selling the exclusive digital rights to Amazon. Under the deal struck with the online retailer, Amazon Prime subscribers will be able to stream episodes of “Under the Dome” just four days after they are broadcast on CBS. The deal is the first of its kind for a broadcast network and a Web streaming service and will be a closely watched test.

Beyond reading the scripts, Mr. King has visited the set and occasionally offers advice. He mostly leaves casting, character arcs, plot development and story lines to the executive producers, who include the comic book writer Brian K. Vaughan and Neal Baer, a longtime writer on “Law & Order: SVU” and “E.R.”

The television adaptation inevitably ups the visual ante. In the book, a woodchuck is split in half (“blood squirted and pumped; guts tumbled into the dirt”) as the giant dome violently descends on the fictional town of Chester’s Mill, Me.; in the TV version, a cow is severed through computer-generated effects. The Iraq war veteran and short-order cook who assumes the hero’s role in the book disposes of a dead body in the first episode, hinting at a potential murder plot, not found in the novel, that could muddy his image.

After Mr. King downed Ms. McKenzie’s pancakes and a side of sausage, we headed to Bridgton, a nearby town that inspired the fictional Chester’s Mill. In a gray T-shirt, jeans and black sneakers, he is tall but slight at 65, as if the strong breeze that passed through the quiet town square could knock him over. The weather on this late spring day felt oddly like the sunny fall one he describes as the backdrop of “Dome Day,” which is how residents of Chester’s Mill refer to the day the dome arrived. As he drove, it was hard not to get the feeling that an alien structure could descend at any moment.

Mr. King started “Under the Dome” in 1972, when he was working as a high school English teacher in Hampden, Me. He wrote the first chapter about the woodchuck then shelved the idea for more than three decades until he finally felt confident he could tackle the logistics of an entire town trapped, as if in a snow globe. He wrote the original draft, more than 1,500 pages, in just 15 months, completing it in March 2009.

“I was on fire,” he said of the writing process. “It was great. I loved it.”

He said he had always envisioned the dome as an allegory for an environmentally threatened earth and had therefore emphasized to the creators of the TV series that no matter how many departures they take from the novel — and fans of the book will notice many of them — the writers had to retain the important themes.

“I sat down with Brian and Neal and said, ‘Don’t ever lose sight of the major idea behind ‘Under the Dome,’ which is we all live under a dome,” Mr. King said. “That’s it: earth and resources are finite.”

Amblin Television, the production company owned by Steven Spielberg, initially pitched “Under the Dome” to Showtime. But executives at the pay cable channel didn’t feel that the show quite fit into its lineup of dramas like “Homeland” and “Shameless,” and passed.

But Showtime’s broadcast sibling CBS had been looking for a splashy series that could break out during the less-cluttered summer months. “We wanted to get our hands on something with all the bells and whistles to launch something very big in the summer,” said Nina Tassler, president of CBS Entertainment.

But all those bells and whistles — an extensive cast, elaborate effects and sets depicting a bucolic town in crisis — cost more than CBS wanted to spend on a 13-episode summer series. That prompted the CBS Corporation (which also owns Simon & Schuster, which published “Under the Dome” under its Scribner imprint) to explore other ways to finance the series. Enter Amazon.

Leslie Moonves, president and chief executive of CBS, noted that the syndication of series like “NCIS” and “The Big Bang Theory” on basic cable had attracted new viewers to the broadcast network. CBS is hoping that online syndication, especially the ability to watch episodes one after another within days of the original broadcast, will have a similar effect.

“This certainly is an experiment,” Mr. Moonves said. “Will binge viewing help this show? Will it help any show on broadcast? We’ll see.”

Executives at Amazon aren’t entirely sure how online customers will stream “Dome” — whether they will save up several episodes for binge viewing, or use it to catch up on a single episode they missed on TV. “I’d describe this as something we’re going to try for customers and see how they react,” said Brad Beale, head of content acquisition on Amazon’s digital video team.

Mr. King helped Amazon promote the Kindle 2 e-book reader and has an assortment of other e-readers, but on this day he was reading a chunky hardback edition of “Silken Prey,” a thriller by John Sandford. He mused on consumption habits as he drove his S.U.V. along a two-lane road surrounded by forest. “The interesting thing to me about this whole ‘Dome’ business is that they’re taking a model that changed the face of TV and how people watch TV, and they’re trying to adapt it to network TV,” he said.

The publication of “Under the Dome” helped transform the book industry, CBS has noted, so why not TV? When the novel came out, the hardcover version cost $35; Amazon priced the e-book at just $9.99, which prompted Walmart to lower its prices on a handful of popular titles and set off an all-out price war. “It was the e-book version of World War II,” Mr. King said. Soon we passed a curve in the road near where Mr. King was struck by a car in 1999 while on one of his afternoon walks. The accident and his long, painful recovery from a collapsed lung, a broken hip and leg fractures had a deep impact on his writing. Over the last several years, much of his work, while fantastical and at times scary, has had firm roots in the real world but also social and political undertones, from “Under the Dome” (praised in The New York Times for offering “the scope and flavor of literary Americana”) to “11/23/63,” in which the main character travels back in time to the days before the Kennedy assassination.

“The last thing I want now is to be pretentious or try and be something I’m not,” Mr. King said. “But it did make me aware that time is short,” he said of the accident.

Pretentious Mr. King is not. Later he picked up a book off the $1 cart outside Bridgton Books and poked fun at the author’s photo — a grave pose with a pen in hand. “Now, that’s a serious writer,” he joked. “That guy is not messing around.”

He has a self-deprecating sense of humor about being known as the master of horror. “I’m like the girl from the wrong side of the tracks who gets a certain reputation,” he said. Once, at a grocery store near Sarasota, Fla., where Mr. King and his wife, Tabitha, spend winters, an old woman told him that she doesn’t read his gory books and prefers more wholesome fare like “The Shawshank Redemption.” Mr. King told her he wrote that one, too.

“She said, ‘No you didn’t,’ ” he recalled, laughing. “That was the whole exchange.”

Part of what makes “Under the Dome” terrifying, Stephen King-style, is that the reader feels as trapped as the two Dorphans (short for dome orphans) who were cut off from their parents when the structure touched down. And then there are the assorted characters who morph from small-town normalcy to all-out lunacy after Dome Day.

When Mr. Vaughan and Mr. Baer were interviewing writers to work on the show, they asked them what they would do if they were trapped under a dome in their hometowns. “Some people said right away, ‘I’d go for the guns’ or ‘I’d hole up in my house’; others were more community-driven,” Mr. Vaughan said. He declined to go into specifics about the most interesting replies, saying that they had been worked into forthcoming plot lines.

Mr. Vaughan said that Mr. King’s help (and his cachet) had been invaluable but that he knew it would be up to him and the other writers to make the series work. He recalled some advice that he said Mr. King had given him early on: “To quote Elvis, ‘It’s your baby, you rock it now.’ ”

While Mr. King’s work has had varying degrees of success on TV — “The Dead Zone” lasted six seasons on USA, “Kingdom Hospital” lasted only a single season on ABC — he said he prefers TV adaptations to films based on his books. He likened the movies, especially the long ones, to sitting on a suitcase. “You try to get everything in there and you know what, it doesn’t work most of the time,” he said.

“Misery,” the 1990 thriller starring James Caan and Kathy Bates, and “Stand By Me,” the 1986 coming-of-age drama directed by Rob Reiner, are exceptions, he suggests, because they are based, respectively, on a short novel and a short story.

He does not devote much ink in his novel to explaining the supernatural origins of the bullet- and missile-proof dome, but the overarching mystery is eventually solved. He wants the television series to do the same, even if it is canceled prematurely.

And if “Under the Dome” is a hit, it could run for multiple seasons, giving Mr. King and the writers tantalizing opportunities to explore dark story lines that didn’t make it into the book. For example, Mr. King left a separate attempt at a story about a community isolated from the outside world unfinished in 1982, when he was living in a depressing apartment complex in suburban Pittsburgh. In that telling, it is an apartment building that is cut off; residents grow desperate, and cannibalism ensues.

“I never did get to cannibalism in ‘Dome,’ ” Mr. King said with a grin. “But maybe after three or four seasons. ...”

Country
    Country Flag

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/23/ar...pagewanted=all
    Rosie’s General Store serves breakfast all day, and it’s the type of place where residents of this town of 1,140 will stop in to buy lottery tickets, a loaf of bread or the special jumbo lobster roll. It’s also the inspiration for the Sweetbriar Rose, a diner in Stephen King’s 2009 opus about a small town cut off from the outside world by a mysterious and impenetrable dome.

A television adaptation of that novel, “Under the Dome,” will have its premiere on Monday night on CBS, which was why Mr. King found himself talking one day recently with the real-life Rose about the TV version of her character, one of nearly 70 in his 1,074-page doorstop of a novel. “I told you I want to be taller and thinner,” Rose McKenzie told Mr. King heartily as he ate blueberry pancakes with maple syrup.

“And through the power of narration, you are,” he assured her.

After nearly 100 television and film adaptations of his novels and short stories, Mr. King is used to the Hollywood version of his characters ending up younger and more glamorous than their often-haggard literary counterparts. It’s one of those things he doesn’t try to fight. He has developed a rule about collaborating on adaptations of his work: “Usually my attitude is go all the way in or all the way out, but don’t be a noodge,” Mr. King said.

But he’s being something of a noodge about “Under the Dome.” After reading the script for a coming episode, Mr. King was concerned that in it, Jim Rennie Jr., the degenerate son of the town’s alpha male, says that he scraped his hand while cutting wood with an ax. “I said, ‘Ax and hand, really?’ ” Mr. King said. “I had them change it to hatchet.” A hatchet’s blade is closer to the user’s hand, he explained.

Rather than turn the series over entirely to the producers, as he has with other adaptations to varying degrees of success, Mr. King has stayed involved, and it seems fitting. “Under the Dome” encapsulates the arc of his writing career: Started before he became a published novelist, the book was released 37 years later, when he was so renowned that the e-book version contributed to a price war.

The television series won’t have much effect one way or the other on Mr. King’s reputation as a master storyteller. CBS, by comparison, has more at stake with “Under the Dome,” as it risks shaking up the reliable models for summer television and online streaming.

Not only is it unusual for a broadcast network to introduce a dramatic series in late June, but CBS has broken with network tradition by selling the exclusive digital rights to Amazon. Under the deal struck with the online retailer, Amazon Prime subscribers will be able to stream episodes of “Under the Dome” just four days after they are broadcast on CBS. The deal is the first of its kind for a broadcast network and a Web streaming service and will be a closely watched test.

Beyond reading the scripts, Mr. King has visited the set and occasionally offers advice. He mostly leaves casting, character arcs, plot development and story lines to the executive producers, who include the comic book writer Brian K. Vaughan and Neal Baer, a longtime writer on “Law & Order: SVU” and “E.R.”

The television adaptation inevitably ups the visual ante. In the book, a woodchuck is split in half (“blood squirted and pumped; guts tumbled into the dirt”) as the giant dome violently descends on the fictional town of Chester’s Mill, Me.; in the TV version, a cow is severed through computer-generated effects. The Iraq war veteran and short-order cook who assumes the hero’s role in the book disposes of a dead body in the first episode, hinting at a potential murder plot, not found in the novel, that could muddy his image.

After Mr. King downed Ms. McKenzie’s pancakes and a side of sausage, we headed to Bridgton, a nearby town that inspired the fictional Chester’s Mill. In a gray T-shirt, jeans and black sneakers, he is tall but slight at 65, as if the strong breeze that passed through the quiet town square could knock him over. The weather on this late spring day felt oddly like the sunny fall one he describes as the backdrop of “Dome Day,” which is how residents of Chester’s Mill refer to the day the dome arrived. As he drove, it was hard not to get the feeling that an alien structure could descend at any moment.

Mr. King started “Under the Dome” in 1972, when he was working as a high school English teacher in Hampden, Me. He wrote the first chapter about the woodchuck then shelved the idea for more than three decades until he finally felt confident he could tackle the logistics of an entire town trapped, as if in a snow globe. He wrote the original draft, more than 1,500 pages, in just 15 months, completing it in March 2009.

“I was on fire,” he said of the writing process. “It was great. I loved it.”

He said he had always envisioned the dome as an allegory for an environmentally threatened earth and had therefore emphasized to the creators of the TV series that no matter how many departures they take from the novel — and fans of the book will notice many of them — the writers had to retain the important themes.

“I sat down with Brian and Neal and said, ‘Don’t ever lose sight of the major idea behind ‘Under the Dome,’ which is we all live under a dome,” Mr. King said. “That’s it: earth and resources are finite.”

Amblin Television, the production company owned by Steven Spielberg, initially pitched “Under the Dome” to Showtime. But executives at the pay cable channel didn’t feel that the show quite fit into its lineup of dramas like “Homeland” and “Shameless,” and passed.

But Showtime’s broadcast sibling CBS had been looking for a splashy series that could break out during the less-cluttered summer months. “We wanted to get our hands on something with all the bells and whistles to launch something very big in the summer,” said Nina Tassler, president of CBS Entertainment.

But all those bells and whistles — an extensive cast, elaborate effects and sets depicting a bucolic town in crisis — cost more than CBS wanted to spend on a 13-episode summer series. That prompted the CBS Corporation (which also owns Simon & Schuster, which published “Under the Dome” under its Scribner imprint) to explore other ways to finance the series. Enter Amazon.

Leslie Moonves, president and chief executive of CBS, noted that the syndication of series like “NCIS” and “The Big Bang Theory” on basic cable had attracted new viewers to the broadcast network. CBS is hoping that online syndication, especially the ability to watch episodes one after another within days of the original broadcast, will have a similar effect.

“This certainly is an experiment,” Mr. Moonves said. “Will binge viewing help this show? Will it help any show on broadcast? We’ll see.”

Executives at Amazon aren’t entirely sure how online customers will stream “Dome” — whether they will save up several episodes for binge viewing, or use it to catch up on a single episode they missed on TV. “I’d describe this as something we’re going to try for customers and see how they react,” said Brad Beale, head of content acquisition on Amazon’s digital video team.

Mr. King helped Amazon promote the Kindle 2 e-book reader and has an assortment of other e-readers, but on this day he was reading a chunky hardback edition of “Silken Prey,” a thriller by John Sandford. He mused on consumption habits as he drove his S.U.V. along a two-lane road surrounded by forest. “The interesting thing to me about this whole ‘Dome’ business is that they’re taking a model that changed the face of TV and how people watch TV, and they’re trying to adapt it to network TV,” he said.

The publication of “Under the Dome” helped transform the book industry, CBS has noted, so why not TV? When the novel came out, the hardcover version cost $35; Amazon priced the e-book at just $9.99, which prompted Walmart to lower its prices on a handful of popular titles and set off an all-out price war. “It was the e-book version of World War II,” Mr. King said. Soon we passed a curve in the road near where Mr. King was struck by a car in 1999 while on one of his afternoon walks. The accident and his long, painful recovery from a collapsed lung, a broken hip and leg fractures had a deep impact on his writing. Over the last several years, much of his work, while fantastical and at times scary, has had firm roots in the real world but also social and political undertones, from “Under the Dome” (praised in The New York Times for offering “the scope and flavor of literary Americana”) to “11/23/63,” in which the main character travels back in time to the days before the Kennedy assassination.

“The last thing I want now is to be pretentious or try and be something I’m not,” Mr. King said. “But it did make me aware that time is short,” he said of the accident.

Pretentious Mr. King is not. Later he picked up a book off the $1 cart outside Bridgton Books and poked fun at the author’s photo — a grave pose with a pen in hand. “Now, that’s a serious writer,” he joked. “That guy is not messing around.”

He has a self-deprecating sense of humor about being known as the master of horror. “I’m like the girl from the wrong side of the tracks who gets a certain reputation,” he said. Once, at a grocery store near Sarasota, Fla., where Mr. King and his wife, Tabitha, spend winters, an old woman told him that she doesn’t read his gory books and prefers more wholesome fare like “The Shawshank Redemption.” Mr. King told her he wrote that one, too.

“She said, ‘No you didn’t,’ ” he recalled, laughing. “That was the whole exchange.”

Part of what makes “Under the Dome” terrifying, Stephen King-style, is that the reader feels as trapped as the two Dorphans (short for dome orphans) who were cut off from their parents when the structure touched down. And then there are the assorted characters who morph from small-town normalcy to all-out lunacy after Dome Day.

When Mr. Vaughan and Mr. Baer were interviewing writers to work on the show, they asked them what they would do if they were trapped under a dome in their hometowns. “Some people said right away, ‘I’d go for the guns’ or ‘I’d hole up in my house’; others were more community-driven,” Mr. Vaughan said. He declined to go into specifics about the most interesting replies, saying that they had been worked into forthcoming plot lines.

Mr. Vaughan said that Mr. King’s help (and his cachet) had been invaluable but that he knew it would be up to him and the other writers to make the series work. He recalled some advice that he said Mr. King had given him early on: “To quote Elvis, ‘It’s your baby, you rock it now.’ ”

While Mr. King’s work has had varying degrees of success on TV — “The Dead Zone” lasted six seasons on USA, “Kingdom Hospital” lasted only a single season on ABC — he said he prefers TV adaptations to films based on his books. He likened the movies, especially the long ones, to sitting on a suitcase. “You try to get everything in there and you know what, it doesn’t work most of the time,” he said.

“Misery,” the 1990 thriller starring James Caan and Kathy Bates, and “Stand By Me,” the 1986 coming-of-age drama directed by Rob Reiner, are exceptions, he suggests, because they are based, respectively, on a short novel and a short story.

He does not devote much ink in his novel to explaining the supernatural origins of the bullet- and missile-proof dome, but the overarching mystery is eventually solved. He wants the television series to do the same, even if it is canceled prematurely.

And if “Under the Dome” is a hit, it could run for multiple seasons, giving Mr. King and the writers tantalizing opportunities to explore dark story lines that didn’t make it into the book. For example, Mr. King left a separate attempt at a story about a community isolated from the outside world unfinished in 1982, when he was living in a depressing apartment complex in suburban Pittsburgh. In that telling, it is an apartment building that is cut off; residents grow desperate, and cannibalism ensues.

“I never did get to cannibalism in ‘Dome,’ ” Mr. King said with a grin. “But maybe after three or four seasons. ...”

Country
    Country Flag

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post
    That was pretty cool--I received a phone call this evening from the president of FEARnet thanking me for my review!

Very nice!
    Would you mind resharing the link to your review wednesday, after some people were able to watch the pilot?
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
    ------------------------------------------------

Gunslinger Apprentice johnsmith87 will become famous soon enough johnsmith87's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

That's a great New York Times article. I really hope the show's a hit.

Here's a great picture from the article:

Gunslinger Stebbins is a jewel in the rough Stebbins is a jewel in the rough Stebbins is a jewel in the rough Stebbins's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by sgc1999 View Post
    It's funny how people's opinions can vary so greatly, even among people who can agree on an author. I thought Under The Dome was lean. I mean sure it's a tome, but I didn't think there was any filler in it. IMO it was fast paced; I flew through it.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

The Cleveland Plain Dealer:

http://www.cleveland.com/tv/index.ss...incart_m-rpt-2

Stephen King's novel "Under the Dome" is the basis for a 13-part miniseries beginning Monday, June 24.

Stephen King had Brian K. Vaughan by the throat. And the planet’s reigning horror king wasn’t letting go.

That's how Vaughan felt as he read "Under the Dome," King's suspenseful 2009 novel about a small town suddenly and inexplicably sealed off from the rest of the world by a massive and transparent dome. It was a gripping story, all right, and Vaughan, who grew up in Rocky River and Westlake, couldn't wait to see what would happen next.
    'Under the Dome'
    What: Premiere of a 13-episode adaptation of the Stephen King novel.

When: 10 p.m. Monday, June 24.

TV: CBS (WOIO Channel 19).

What happened next stunned and delighted the writer with a long list of comic-book credits. One of the characters in "Under the Dome" mentions one of Vaughan's comic books, "Y: The Last Man."

Turns out King is a big fan of Vaughan's work. And Vaughan describes himself as "a lifelong fan of Stephen King."

So there's something altogether fitting about Vaughan being one of the executive producers overseeing "Under the Dome," the CBS version of King's novel. The 13-episode summer series premieres at 10 p.m. Monday, June 24, on WOIO Channel 19.

"I wrote the pilot, and it was a tremendous honor," said Vaughan, a 1994 St. Ignatius High School graduate. "It's the same Chester's Mill from that book and these are the same characters, but we definitely do take them to some new and unexpected places. You know, I love the 'Walking Dead' comic book, and I'm so grateful that the TV show isn't an exact adaptation."

He's confident fans of the book "will love it and enjoy the changes as much as Stephen King has."

In many ways, Vaughan has the ideal resume for this job.

"I've been obsessed with Stephen King since I was young," he said.

After high school, Vaughan headed for New York University to study film. He got sidetracked by comic books. While an undergraduate at NYU, he signed up for Marvel Comics' Stan-hattan Project. Named for Marvel master Stan Lee, it was a class for aspiring comic-book writers.

Notching his first comic-book credit in 1997, Vaughan soon became one of the busiest writers in the business. He wrote scripts for some of the highest-profile characters at Marvel (X-Men, Spider-Man, Captain America), DC (Batman, Green Lantern) and Dark Horse (Buffy the Vampire Slayer). He gained even greater satisfaction from the comic-book series he created, including "Y: The Last Man" and "Ex Machina."

Then Vaughan had to get "Lost."

Damon Lindelof, co-creator and executive producer of ABC's "Lost," also was a major fan of "Y: The Last Man," a 60-issue series about a young escape artist who is the only man to survive a plague that wipes out every male mammal on Earth. About six years ago, he recruited Vaughan to work for television and "Lost."

Vaughan penned several episodes for that magical mystery tour, then heard that Steven Spielberg and DreamWorks Television had purchased the rights to "Under the Dome."

"It was a book that I loved, but I was really excited when I heard that DreamWorks said that they didn't want to do it as necessarily a straight adaptation -- that they wanted to use the book as maybe a launching pad for something that could potentially be an ongoing series," he said.

"Dome" originally was developed for Showtime. But the cable channel's executives passed, suggesting CBS as a possible home.

"I was really worried that with the change from cable to network that we might have to soften the show or change it, but that hasn't been [the case] at all," Vaughan said. "It's definitely our intention that this will continue after this summer. It will have a satisfying conclusion, and we'll answer a lot of the mysteries presented in the pilot, but it is our hope we will get to come back to the 'Dome' next summer."

Starring Mike Vogel, Rachelle Lefevre, Dean Norris ("Breaking Bad"), Natalie Martinez and Colin Ford, "Under the Dome" follows the town's inhabitants as they search for answers to what the barrier might be, where it came from and if it will go away.

"This is a metaphor for the human condition," Vaughan said. "We are all trapped under a dome together. We are all on this planet, in it together with a limited amount of resources. I think Stephen King's novel is a really angry novel. I think Stephen was angry about the state of the country and the state of the environment and maybe about how we're treating each other."

The show runner for "Under the Dome" is executive producer Neal Baer, whose many prime-time credits include several seasons of "ER."

"In 'Under the Dome,' yes, we have this big dome that is over us," Baer said. "But what we're really dealing with is how these characters are going to get along and make a life together under extreme circumstances, when they're running out of gasoline, food and water. How are they going make things work? In a way it's like the perfect ER."

Vaughan agrees: "I was a huge 'ER' fan. And I think, in lot of ways, our show has more in common with something like 'ER' than maybe even something like 'Lost.' It's really a character-driven drama . . . Being on 'Lost,' I learned that it's not about the smoke monster or what the island is. Those things are all in service of revealing character, and if you don't have characters that the audience loves, everything else is kind of meaningless."
    John

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast