Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Talisman Series Discussion Thread

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Oh, I don't know about that - I enjoyed Treachery quite a bit. Fall of Gilead hasn't been so great, but mostly because I don't like where they're going with Aileen's character... but that's a whole other thread.
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Let the Right One In CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I was just disappointed with how Treachery really dropped the ball with the Gabrielle/Marten plot, which should have been the focus of the arc, and instead devoted more time to Furth's Mary Sue. I also found the handling of Gabrielle's death to be both over the top and anticlimatic at the same time.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Demon of the Prim mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about

The cover needs more words and a bigger title treatment!
    It's a shame they can't put out a classy cover.
    The Talisman font itself is garbage.
    So far epic fail on this adaptation.

Citizen of Gilead pixiedark76 will become famous soon enough pixiedark76 will become famous soon enough pixiedark76's Avatar

My Mood
    Bored
    Country
    Country Flag

Default The Talisman: issue 0 Spoilers

Did anyone read The Talisman issue 0 yet? (I just got it today, the black and white issue.) I was reading it and I thought that it was great. It gave a little bit of back story on the characters of Lilly, Phillip, Morgan and Jack.

I was hoping that it would have given more of Phillip Sawyer's back story. For instance: How did he discover the territories? How old was he when he first discovered and "flipped" to the territories? It almost seems like there needs to be a prequel written to The Talisman. Maybe Peter Straub and Stephen King will make Talisman 3 a prequel?

Citizen of Gilead pixiedark76 will become famous soon enough pixiedark76 will become famous soon enough pixiedark76's Avatar

My Mood
    Bored
    Country
    Country Flag

I think that both covers are cool! The second one looks very scary! Those glowing eyes freak me out! On the second cover the Morgans look extremely evil!

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm fine with the "Talisman" font.

I think the covers have all the words they need: Authors, Title, Story arc title.

I agree with our man from Ireland, the second cover ("Cover B") looks like something I'd find on the rack for my 6- and 8-year olds. To be honest, I'm not very keen on "Cover A" either. However I'll still buy both if they are reasonably priced.

Pixie, I bought Issue 0 today from someone on eBay. I'm glad you liked it, I look forward to reading it too!

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by turtlex View Post

Cover B ( variant ) by Mike "Gabe" Krahulik
    so please tell me this is not the style of the artwork in this adaptation or my interest in reading it ends immediately.

the talisman deserves a lot better treatment than that. just because it's about a 12 year old boy doesn't mean it has to look like 90% of the crap on cartoon network. i am quite disappointed.

and i agree with patrick, the first cover really only looks "good" in contrast with the second. taken on its own, it's pretty lacking.

not a fan of the font at all. it's more suited for the album art of some lame pseudo-metal band.

while i have not enjoyed the story elements of the dt comics, i have enjoyed most of the artwork (except the portrayals of the crimson king as the equivalent of "the devil") but this, this i cannot accept.

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm pretty sure the artwork inside is of the more realistic type. I haven't read issue 0 but I've seen some of the 'ideas artwork' (I forget the correct term, but I'm sure you get what I mean) and it's very different.

That being said Jack looks wrong to me in that artwork too but that's probably due to my own mental image of him. He is depicted as a blond ickle lad, and I always saw him as dark haired and a bit taller if still young.

I don't actually dislike the cartoon artwork of the second cover though. Cartoon stuff is fun and has it's place but I agree this story isn't it.

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by Brainslinger View Post
    I don't actually dislike the cartoon artwork of the second cover though. Cartoon stuff is fun and has it's place but I agree this story isn't it.
    precisely.

i have no objection to cartoonish artwork in a cartoon, but not in a graphic adaptation of a novel.

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Jayson, I'm right there with you. Hate them both, really, but that second one...NO.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Demon of the Prim mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about

The cartoony coverB is a variant cover which give artists the oppurtunity to use his/her style to create their own version of the comic.
    I was joking about the fonts and works, there's way too much stuff on there.

My Mood
    Gay

I think that variant was just done because they were able to get a "name" artist and wanted something different... that style is his trademark, really.

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Gunslinger Apprentice Glass is on a distinguished road Glass's Avatar

I've read Issue #0. The artwork is absolutely realistic. It's not cartoony at all.
    Order The Talisman: The Road of Trials comic book set signed by Robin Furth and Tony Shasteen at The Signed Page!

My Mood
    Gay

Hey All - I just got a note from my CGC guy that he has an "extra" copy of this issue CGC graded 9.8 up for sale on eBay. ( He sent in a couple of them to ensure he got my copy ... so this is his 'extra' ).

His name is Jerry and his store is 3294 Auctions at eBay.

Here's the linkage if you want to get one. $59.99 plus $9.99 shipping. This is exactly what I pay for special variants. It's a fair price, I think.

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

So you've got you a copy in the chute Pam?
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

My Mood
    Gay

Sam - Oh, you bet. As soon as I saw that there was a Comic Con exclusive, I asked Jerry to see if he could get me one for my CGC collection. I don't think I'll get the whole series CGC'd, but I wanted the exclusive. He is great about getting issues and is wonderful about always picking out an issue that will come back 9.8 - my favorite thing though, is that if the issue doesn't come back at 9.8 - then I don't have to buy it. He takes all the responsibility and cost on himself. He can't always find a 9.8 of the more difficult issues, but mostly he does. I subscribe to the Dark Tower comics and the Batwoman run of Detective Comics through him.

When I get my 9.8 of this issue in the mail - I'll post a pic.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I ordered a (non-CGC-graded) copy of the SDCC edition from eBay at a good price and it arrived today!
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jayson View Post
    not a fan of the font at all. it's more suited for the album art of some lame pseudo-metal band.
    You nailed it!

I'm glad to hear about the variant covers being simply that and not indicative of the artwork inside. In fact my copy arrived today, why aren't I reading it??
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

妖怪 ola is on a distinguished road ola's Avatar

That first cover looks like a jumbly mess. Bad metal font, no kidding.

I like the 2nd cover better - I think I'd want to take it even further though and have it 100% manga-style, so it's more 'stylized' and less 'cartoony.' A full book of manga King adaptation would be pretty entertaining.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I really don't think I'd like manga style Stephen King. It just seems odd to me, but then I'm not very fond of most manga I've seen either.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Let the Right One In CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

It would depend on the manga style, IMO. Death Note, for example, has some really good art that I wouldn't mind seeing applied to something fantasy-oriented like Dark Tower or Eyes of the Dragon.

Spoiler:
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

My Mood
    Gay

I am pretty sure this was just a deal where the artist who does Penny Arcade was available, so they jumped on it. I tend to enjoy variant covers that differ a lot from the "regular" cover.

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

After admiring the comic book all bagged and boarded, I finally took it out and read it.

I have a feeling I'm really going to like this production.

My Mood
    Gay

As an avid collector, I'm all about getting things to save and put away - but comics are made to be read and enjoyed!

妖怪 ola is on a distinguished road ola's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CyberGhostface View Post
    It would depend on the manga style, IMO. Death Note, for example, has some really good art that I wouldn't mind seeing applied to something fantasy-oriented like Dark Tower or Eyes of the Dragon.

Spoiler:
    Yes, yes. This kind for sure.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast