Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Talisman Series Discussion Thread

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

Default The Talisman Comic - with official Press Release

Del Ray to Publish Comic Series Adapted from The Talisman in 2009

Del Rey, an imprint of Ballantine Books at the Random House Publishing Group, announced today the acquisition of the comic book and graphic novel rights to The Talisman by Stephen King and Peter Straub. The creative team on the project will be announced soon, and the first issue of the monthly comic is planned for late summer/early fall 2009.

Originally published in 1984, The Talisman is the story of a young teen named Jack Sawyer, who can save his dying mother only by retrieving a magical talisman. To find it he must cross back and forth between our world and the frightening and dangerous landscape of its “twinner” counterpart. The hardcover edition, published by Viking, spent 12 weeks in the #1 slot on the New York Times list. Both The Talisman and its sequel, Black House, are in print with Ballantine Books. Television rights to The Talisman are under development by Steven Spielberg and Kathleen Kennedy.

“Illustrating The Talisman in the depth that it deserves will involve at least 24 issues of comics, probably more,” said Del Rey Editor in Chief, Betsy Mitchell, who acquired the project from agent Ralph Vicinanza. “It’s a tremendously visual story, filled with images that burn in memory long after the book has been closed.”

King’s Dark Tower comics consistently inhabit the top of the comic book sales charts, and his recent series, The Dark Tower: The Long Road Home was the top-selling comic book in North America in March 2008.

Read the article on www.newsarama.com

Click Here to Join the Discussion

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Oooh, interesting!

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Vagrant Dead Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking

what is going on with this?!?! How many more books are they going to make into Comics???
    Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

All of them.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

It's starting to look that way, isn't it? Of course, since the sales of the Dark Tower comics are that good, I can see why they'd want to.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

a ghost? a ghost. Rjeso will become famous soon enough Rjeso will become famous soon enough Rjeso's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead

Awesome! I The Talisman so much. I'm way excited for this.
    you're solid gold // i'll see you in hell

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

I am very f*cking excited over this one!!

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I think my basic problem with these "reprints" of King's material is the same that I have with the movies--I have a definite picture in my mind of the events of the book while I'm reading it, and almost never is that picture the same as the one in the movies or graphic novels. The only real exception that comes to mind is The Green Mile--that was a GREAT movie. Of course, I don't have that problem with the current Dark Towers comics series because those are NEW stories, not reprints of the existing works.

John

Servant of Gan Aaron is on a distinguished road Aaron's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I edited the first post to format it for the comics news page. Thanks for posting it Bev!
    Heng Dai

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

For once, it's not Marvel at the helm...
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
    ------------------------------------------------

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Best part of that announcement:

“Illustrating The Talisman in the depth that it deserves will involve at least 24 issues of comics, probably more,” said Del Rey Editor in Chief...

"...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by herbertwest View Post
    Good point. It will be interesting to see how Del Rey does with this.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Daghain View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by herbertwest View Post
    Good point. It will be interesting to see how Del Rey does with this.
    Given the attitude in that quote above, I have faith that they'll do it right. If they don't, they know they'll hear about it!
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, you can be *I'll* be a vocal complainer if they can't manage to do it right.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I have to agree with John's take on this.

One of The Few The Proud CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, I too have expectations built in from reading the stories first but I always disassociate the written word from the word presented on screen and try to enjoy each on their own merit! Sometimes I do not mind having two disticnt "versions" of a story - that in inteslf can be fun.

Have you ever read a story and wondered why it went in a specific direction when you thought a better direction would be ..... something else. To me that's the same. There is no way that the story will be the same in three different types of media and I will judge each on its own merits.

I will say that all of these comics are breaking the bank - slowly but surely! Damn Variants!!!!!!

One last thing - the comics is a nice way to "re-visit" a story for me. Will I ever have the time (or make the time) to re-read the Unedited version of The Stand? It may be some time as there are always other books to read for the first time and there simply are not enough hours inthe day. Reading The Stand in comic form allows me to "re-vist' that story in a manner that fits will my allotted reading time! Just my humble opinion of course! :-)
    DT Spoiler - Enter at your own risk!

Spoiler:
    I can’t remember if I cried
    When I read about Eddie’s widowed bride,
    And something touched me deep inside
    The day the bumbler died.”

Click CAN' Ka No Rey for the entire poem, published in Lighthouse VI!

Traveler Dedereadssk1 is on a distinguished road Dedereadssk1's Avatar

Western NC, 75 miles mw of charlotte near hickory,nc

I really enjoyed THE TALISMAN and i think Del Rey will do an excellent job.

Hannibal CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Del Rey to Publish a Talisman Comic?

From Liljas-library...

Del Rey, an imprint of Random House US’ Ballantine Books, has acquired the comic book and graphic novel rights to The Talisman by Stephen King and Peter Straub. A monthly comic, with “at least 24 issues”, is planned for late summer/early fall 2009.

“Illustrating The Talisman in the depth that it deserves will involve at least 24 issues of comics, probably more,” said Del Rey editor in chief, Betsy Mitchell, who acquired the project from agent Ralph Vicinanza. “It’s a tremendously visual story, filled with images that burn in memory long after the book has been closed.”

Would have liked to see Marvel do this and have authorization from King...but I guess "strike while the iron is hot" and all that.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Yep, we should probably merge these.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Country
    Country Flag

I agree with CRinVA. I like the different takes on a story that become available. A good example is The Stand series. For me, the mini-series adaptation was just horrible. Specifically, there were certain characters that just didnt do it for me--I dont feel they did the written characters justice. But now that the comics are out I have a much more pleasant portrayal of the characters to go from. But, regardless, the original stories will always be there, and movies or comics will never change that.

I'm also very excited about this, since I am about 3/4 of the way through The Talisman right now, and loving it.
    Heng Dai

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Yes, we should.

One of The Few The Proud CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

The talisman has always been in my SK Top Ten - its just a teriffic story! So goodin fact that when I attended The Shining Masquerade Ball held at the Stanley Hotel in Colorado every year on Halloween....well I went as Wolf, one of my favorite King characters!

Right Here, Right Now
    DT Spoiler - Enter at your own risk!

Spoiler:
    I can’t remember if I cried
    When I read about Eddie’s widowed bride,
    And something touched me deep inside
    The day the bumbler died.”

Click CAN' Ka No Rey for the entire poem, published in Lighthouse VI!

Country
    Country Flag

Do you have pictures???

Heng Dai

Gunslinger Apprentice nt07077 is on a distinguished road nt07077's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Im just 100 pages into it right now and it's a very good story....hopefully they do as good of a job that SK did.......

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast