Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Kas-Ka Gan

Gunslinger Apprentice arrawyn is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Default Corny or Cool? *spoilers*

( A thread for discussing Stephen King as a character within the DT series - Edit by Darkthoughts)

So, i'm just about finished SoS (well still 200 pages but)... i just wanted to ask this question
    read only if you've finished the book

I still don't know what I think about it...
    Last edited by Darkthoughts; 08-28-2011 at 04:02 AM.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I liked it. I think quite a few people didn't though.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Citizen of Gilead Empath of the White is on a distinguished road Empath of the White's Avatar

I was very wary of it at first--I was afraid King would just give his characters whatever they needed right on the spot. As it turned out, he was a pain in the ass to the ka-tet. In retrospect, it adds some degree of realism to contrast with the fantastic elements of the novels. I think it was well done. Right off the top of my head, I can't recall any reason being given as to WHY the ka-tet needed to save King, or why the CK wanted King as his own scribe...this is something I feel needed to be addressed further.

Or maybe its just time for another stroll through All-World.

(It was complaints about this very thing, and Mordred, that drew me into the series. I thought to myself "there's no way the books can be THAT bad." Turns out they're in my top 3 listing of fantasy series now.)

Public enemy number 1 Sickrose is on a distinguished road Sickrose's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I liked it but I like meta stuff. It removed a layer between me and The world of tghe Dark tower and made it seem that much more real.

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

First it terrified me. Then I realised it was as cool as possible. But I needed some time for that.

Roland would have understood.

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I thought it fitted well. It blended the realism and the fantasy just right, which really shows how good a writer Stephen King is: if he hadn't written it so well, it would've been as jarring to the series as Letti's signature!
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by arrawyn View Post
    corny/stupid?
    Yes. Very.
    ...or cool. ...
    Yes. In a way.
    ... or just too weird?
    Yes. Basically.
    ...I still don't know what I think about it...
    Yes. *sigh* Tell me about it.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    I liked it. I think quite a few people didn't though.
    I'm one of them. I thought it was very corny, and a little distracting ... but I rolled my eyes and kept on reading, for the sake of the story,

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

I liked it. SK has talked about what a big impact DT had on his own life, especially the break he took from finishing the sory. I thought it was cool how he brought the "real world" into the story. Afterall, it's been a part of my world since I read the series.
    Hell, there have been plenty of days when I wished to find a door like Jake did.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    First it terrified me. Then I realised it was as cool as possible. But I needed some time for that.
    Right. It took me some time too to realize it was necessary given the development of the story and the structure of the multiverse it offers.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gunslinger Apprentice Savvy is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

cheesy beans

Gunslinger Apprentice disel24 is on a distinguished road disel24's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The first time I read through the last three books I hated it. However I will say this, I waited I don't know how many years between IV and V to be released (I got it as a first edition Grant when IV came out and waited and waited...) and the series grew into something HUGE in my mind, nothing short of Roland reaching through the book and pulling me into would have satisfied that mindset.

Now, years later I'm reading through again and 1/3 of the way through 7... it makes sense. More importantly as already stated it adds realism to the book. Meta is very hit or miss and the way that King did it, in my estimation, was good. Interesting, but even the explination made sense to me. Well at least NOW it does.

Country
    Country Flag

now that i've recently finished all the books, I think I like it more than not. I do think he did it well integrating himself into the story line for the sake of the plot because of the nature of the story and the plot itself. Interesting to say the least. and as many have stated, it brings Roland's world closer to our 'real word' (IF our world is the real world! LOL

Gunslinger Apprentice Delacroix is on a distinguished road Delacroix's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I just hate it. I really dislike authors integrating themselves in their own books.

Plus I dont' really like how the story is going so far (I've jsut started VII)...

The only good thing is he draws a fair protrait of himself...
    -What do we usually do about bad things that aren't of our concern?
    -Well...we laught about it.
    -Then, my friend, once you're in the grave death might be a lot more fun than what we expect.

Country
    Country Flag

i personally found VII a lot weirder than the other stories (but i know SK writes weird stuff anyways) which i kinda didn't like too much but i still LOVE the whole series so I can forgive the things that i thought a bit too weird....

In the book 7 i have at the end (i'm sure it's the same in all of them) he talks about why he put himself in the books and also that the portrait of himself is similar to how he is (or was at the age he was in the story), but not totally)

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Default SK > Gan or Gan > SK?

Who created Roland's world? Gan or Stephen King, the character in the book? If Gan created Roland's world, how does SK the character get to send his own Deux Ex Machina against Dandelo? SK the character sends characters from his other books to Roland's world on a whim. Did he create a paralel reality and wrote its history? If Gan really did create everything, why does SK get to manipulate it?
    Last edited by Darkthoughts; 08-27-2011 at 03:40 PM.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

All people have different abilities for manipulating reality, but I don't think that proves that there is no God. Indeed, the human capacity for artistic creation tends to imply to me that something supernatural did precede our existence. Isn't the question that you should be asking, "If SK created Roland's world, then where did he get the power to do that?"

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I'd say the answer is (real) SK's ego and pressure to finish all of the books.

I'm not saying there is or isn't God in our and Roland's world. I'm wondering if this was an oversight of (real) SK? Maybe he created the entire parallel reality and than it took on its own life somehow?

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

It is an interesting question. He (the character) says plainly that he's not Gan, that he's an instrument. He's getting information about what to write from the beam, from the song of the turtle. Yet I've wondered, if what he does is basically recording things which are happening already before he writes them, then why exactly is it so important for the ultimate success of Roland's quest that SK be in fact able to write about it?

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

For me SK is "just" a very powerful protector of the Beams and the Dark Tower. He can make things happen when he writes about them just like Patrick can do the same with his drawings.

(I have changed the title of the thread so that it can get more attention.)

Roland would have understood.

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

I think , you'r all right. Letti, your mind is a wonder.

The answer is within

all matter is energy, all energy is GOD

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Yes. It is.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Stephen King created (by story at least) Gan who King endowed with the capacity to create the rest. Then Gan chose (not really) to create King so he could create Gan (and thus everything else...including King) ...ad infinitum.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Country
    Country Flag

I just find the whole inclusion of SK in the books a cop out... and a major ego trip. Seriously.. it's his 'magnus opus', was it necessary to write about yourself in the book?

Goldmember mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I guess you could say that you saw it coming when the book collector sent his collection through the "door" to Roland's world. Almost all the books were SK books. That is just how I see it...take care

tip toes out of thread.

Does whatever a spiderman does.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast