Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: How Has the Series Affected Your Life?

Traveler Geomon is on a distinguished road Geomon's Avatar

My Mood
    Brooding
    Country
    Country Flag

I spent many endless nights reading the books when they first came out and during some pretty rough times in my life, they managed to put a smile on my face and still do.

Oh constantly, LadyKatherine! I have been known to sit in class and daydream about the Dark Tower rather than take notes. And I found this site sitting in my booooring lecture class this semester by googling Dark Tower just to see what I'd get. Obsessed? Moi? Nah.

Gunslinger Apprentice JQ The Gunslinger is on a distinguished road JQ The Gunslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I find myself at this very moment tryin to memorize Sheemies dream

"Why must you hurt me when i love you so."

ha i got about half of it down

Gunslinger Apprentice ladykatherine is on a distinguished road ladykatherine's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Haha nice you guys.
    I know exactly what you mean HDDaughter! I found this place in an attempt to find a good site with interesting subjects on the Dark Tower. I remember how excited my friend and I got when we found others who shared our interest in the Dark Tower. Im still trying to find someone at school who's interested so I don't get weird looks, haha! It's like no one here reads, which is strange....hmmm

Katie

Gunslinger Apprentice ladykatherine is on a distinguished road ladykatherine's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

This question is just...amazing.
    I found something frightening and comforting in the series. It's going to sound strange, but I think it helped me get over the panic I get once in a while when I realize I don't know what's going to happen in my life. And I won't lie, I've always had this strange fear of dying. It's sort of horrible actually, considering it's one of the few things you can't escape in life. But, I think I realized that not even Roland knew exactly what would happen in his complex world, and yet he still continued on. That gave me something to ponder over. And to see a world full of such intrigue and possibilities, that nothing is ever abolute. It's good not to feel so alone, and like I'm the only one that doesn't have any idea what I'm getting into.

I think the way I found the Dark Tower was a little strange, too. It was during a bad time with our family, and we were at my uncle's in Indiana. I was busy being a worried and nosey girl in the guest bedroom (his office) and was looking through papers and things. My uncle had started falling downhill back into his alcohol and depression. My dad was going back there too. And in such a time, I couldn't even lean on my boyfriend of three years who had decided a few days prior that he was in love with my best friend. Soo yeah. Not the best setup. Come to think of it, I didn't even admit to myself how depressed I was over the summer until it had passed....

But, sitting in my uncle's office, I just glanced at the bookshelf stuffed with books before getting up to leave. When I came back, I found the first Dark Tower on the floor, bent funny from falling. I know it was probably because it was on the edge of a shelf...but I like to think it was meant for me. Like I was suppose to find it and take in whatever it had to offer. And I am.

I remember getting yelled at for still being up at 6:30am when my mom went to the bathroom and saw the lights still on...oops!

Thanks for reading. I know that was terribly long.
    Katie

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

But, sitting in my uncle's office, I just glanced at the bookshelf stuffed with books before getting up to leave. When I came back, I found the first Dark Tower on the floor, bent funny from falling. I know it was probably because it was on the edge of a shelf...but I like to think it was meant for me. Like I was suppose to find it and take in whatever it had to offer. And I am
    That is an amazing story LadyK--I think that book was there just for you.

I really felt a connection reading how you felt about the story, I'm kind of the same way and knowing that others felt that way is very cool.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

LadyK, it was so good to read your words. And the way the Dark Tower found its way to you.. is truely amazing.

Roland would have understood.

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Thank you Matt and Letti!!
    I suppose I should feel a little less crazy, hehehe.
    It's good to know someone actually knows where I'm coming from. My friend laughed and said i thought to much....so i had to throw a towel at her. But in a loving way, of course.

Katie

The White! MonteGss is on a distinguished road MonteGss's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

ladyk,
    I'm glad you found love for The Dark Tower in your life. It is a story that will be with you forever. Welcome to the site. I look forward to reading your future posts in Mid-World forums.

Traveler sasquatch012 is on a distinguished road

it was weird....when i decided i was gonna do the series i had a feeling that i was going on an actual journey.....and roland's obsession became mine...every spare moment i had was used reading the books....inching closer to the tower....all signs of good writing if you ask me....unfortunately i think being so driven to get to the tower caused me to skim over the last three books *books 1-4 i had already read so i feel between my first and second readings i feel like i had a good understanding of those books*

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

That's a good excuse for a reread.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Traveler tjglos is on a distinguished road tjglos's Avatar

i still havent finished the last book, i started reading gunslinger in june of this year and now im about halfway through the dark tower. i have always had a book on the go for as long as i can remember but the dark tower series is the only one which has made me look at things in a different way. and i know this sounds stupid but i know everyone has thought it at least once. so here goes.... after reading the last two books you kind of hope the events might just have really happened. and as the world is currently fubar and as i see jesus and allah in the same vein as batman, the easter bunny and cher. (all make belive characters. yes cher cannot be real) its nice to think that there might something going on that we dont know about and a bit magical. yeah i said it so what!!! you all thought it as well lol

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by tjglos View Post
    i still havent finished the last book, i started reading gunslinger in june of this year and now im about halfway through the dark tower. i have always had a book on the go for as long as i can remember but the dark tower series is the only one which has made me look at things in a different way. and i know this sounds stupid but i know everyone has thought it at least once. so here goes.... after reading the last two books you kind of hope the events might just have really happened. and as the world is currently fubar and as i see jesus and allah in the same vein as batman, the easter bunny and cher. (all make belive characters. yes cher cannot be real) its nice to think that there might something going on that we dont know about and a bit magical. yeah i said it so what!!! you all thought it as well lol
    Still it's good to share.

The White Guy Chap is on a distinguished road Chap's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

it hasn't changed my life in a great way (yet), but it has opened my eyes to the authorship of Stephen King and thus widened my horizon alot.
    I now have around 15 King books, and so far have loved every one of them.

oh, and I think it sort of influences me to try being more social. I'm a "lone wolf" at heart, but reading about the ka-tet(s), I for the first time feel like I am missing out on something

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Originally Posted by tjglos

I really did, King has always made me feel that way.

Kind of like our reality is thin in places.

I totally get it.

Welcome to the site.

That's really cool what you said about Katet's Chap
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Gunslinger Apprentice what is on a distinguished road what's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

After finishing the set, I felt like I had really accomplished something. It gave me a hunger to read. Before I started The Gunslinger I had probably read 4 books for pleasure (and whatever was assigned reading for school). Since finishing The Dark Tower, I have been constantly reading. I never understood how my mom was always able to sit with her nose in book at all times of the day, and now wish I didn't have to work so that I can spend every hour reading.... I guess its come from my OCD tendencies, but I couldn't think of a better OCD to have!

Traveler tjglos is on a distinguished road tjglos's Avatar

finished the dark tower last night and immediatly began re-reading the gunslinger. after about 2 chapters i was totally engrossed again. i have a different perspective reading it this time as i tend to notice different things i.e when they mention the taheen trying to find blue haven and sheb the piano player and as a bonus i now get to read hearts in atlantis, it, insomnia etc and try and find dt references (bit sad but who cares) and i also have now a seen a lorry with "discordia" written down the side twice very creepy lol

Banned Diggity Of The Eld is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

I'm really happy to read about all the positivity on this forum, stemming from the series.

You know people have used words like "bleak" to describe the Dark Tower, and I don't think it's bleak at all. Roland's situation if he chose to accept it is far from bleak. He is the bleak one. It looks like though, on the iteration of his journey that we all joined him on that he did improve on some level. He has the horn, which as we all know is a sign of hope.

Roland's problem as I see it, and maybe the problem of some of the fans (not any of you fine people) is that he is so hell-bent on finding the Tower that he doesn't realize that the Tower is with him always. The Tower figuratively represents happiness to him and literally is Gan. It's God.

Roland is so bold as to feel he can on some level usurp God, usurp the universe itself. Even if his quest is noble in it's nature, it's wrong.

He didn't need to go to Gan for Gan to be in his life. All he had to do was just STOP. Just stop. Mr. Holmes asked him to stop, everyone asked him to stop. He had all these oppurtunites. He could have stayed on Keystone Earth, and just retired a very happy man. Roland's problem is what Cort and everyone is said from the beginning.... he just cannot stop.

The song of the Tower is everywhere. That beautiful song is everywhere if he'd just take the time to sniff and smell the ....

That brings me to this thread. Life. This is something I just discovered recently in my own life prior to reading The Dark Tower. We all have the opportunity to make each and every day a great day. Sometimes it feels hard, but it is not. It's a matter of deciding "Today is MY day".

If you were at a particularly dark place in your life prior to reading The Dark Tower, and that message of hope rang through to you and helped you reach out and make a new friend, kudos to you. I'm happy to hear it.

Life is beautiful, and take the time to enjoy it while you can because unlike Roland we do not all go on forever.

If there's a girl you like, buy her some roses.
    If there's an apology you haven't made, make it.

Whatever it is that's just left unfinished... go out and do it and you'll be surprised at the doors life opens when you decide to simply be happy and enjoy each day.

boo-yaaaaaa

/post

Along the Path of the Beam BoogerSnax is on a distinguished road

Having read the first 1 1/2 books in the early 90's and not liking them that much, I decided to delve into them again this past summer, and am now half way through book 7.
    I have devoured them these past few months, and part of what has driven me on are the bad reviews of the later books! Ha!
    You can see the changes in the man as the books progress. Changes in life philosiphies and changes in the realm of a man and his responsibilities, as it seems he partly feels the series to be for him.
    A man's responsibilities are all things to him. Fufilling, driving, tiring, enraging, and ultimately, always there. You can see this in the story progression, and the author notes in some of the later reprints of the earlier works.
    From the fear of having your fantasy end, to a dying woman wondering if she will get to see the end of the saga before she goes on to the great clearing. Fear of closure to a fantasy world, to letting down the people who are counting on you, these are two great defining aspects to a grown man's life, and you can only see this progression <at least in my case>, from having traveled that type of road yourself.
    The reading of this series has come at a point in my life where almost every plot turn, or book completion, can almost be seen as a metaphore for the events in one's own life.
    For me, it was simply time to read this series.

Rabid Billybumbler Ruthful is on a distinguished road Ruthful's Avatar

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

Wonderful stories.

It's great to know that this series has had such a powerful impact upon its readers. I just found out the other day that not only have several friends on a message board I belong to begun reading TDT, but they've started an entire thread devoted to it in the book discussion forum.

Gunslinger Apprentice Lord_Vertigo has a spectacular aura about Lord_Vertigo has a spectacular aura about

Stephen Lawhead's "Song of Albion" books opened my eyes to the idea of a parallel world. Philosophy, theology, and science began convincing me it was possible. Stephen King's "Dark Tower" still has me seeing the signs of it everywhere: 19, roses, keys, black skyscrapers on Tower Road, etc. I give more "reality credibility" to Dark Tower than the Da Vinci Code.

Traveler Fitz is on a distinguished road Fitz's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Ive just finished the final book last night, and to say the books have taken a hold of me these last few months is an understatement. I have told everyone within vocal range about the Dark Tower stories and Roland. Family and friends will be so relieved ive finished. But thats were the books have affected me. Now that ive finished Im not going to be able to move on and forget like i do with other books. Im now searching out all information I can and all opinions that i can on TDT. Ive just ordered Hearts in Atlantis, Rose Madder, Insomnia and The Talisman just to read them and gather the references just because they will add to my new DT addiction. My admiration for these books is unparalled and I know for fact I will take these books with me now, reading them again at various stages. If i have a kid when Im old enough (21's way to young haha) I will proudly give them the Dark Tower series to read. It may be sad but I really loved these books and the characters and I always will.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
    Ive just finished the final book last night, and to say the books have taken a hold of me these last few months is an understatement. I have told everyone within vocal range about the Dark Tower stories and Roland. Family and friends will be so relieved ive finished. But thats were the books have affected me. Now that ive finished Im not going to be able to move on and forget like i do with other books. Im now searching out all information I can and all opinions that i can on TDT. Ive just ordered Hearts in Atlantis, Rose Madder, Insomnia and The Talisman just to read them and gather the references just because they will add to my new DT addiction. My admiration for these books is unparalled and I know for fact I will take these books with me now, reading them again at various stages. If i have a kid when Im old enough (21's way to young haha) I will proudly give them the Dark Tower series to read. It may be sad but I really loved these books and the characters and I always will.
    Great to have you here. It would be good to see many posts from you.
    And when you feel you are a DT junkie... don't forget that's just the beginning.

Traveler Fitz is on a distinguished road Fitz's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    Great to have you here. It would be good to see many posts from you.
    And when you feel you are a DT junkie... don't forget that's just the beginning.
    Thanks. Ive really enjoyed looking round this place so far. Definitely be trying hard to visit often and post often to.

Haha I guess it is...

Gunslinger Apprentice lead dealer is on a distinguished road lead dealer's Avatar

How has Si Kings "lord of the rings" affected my life....

Wow,
    It all started when my at the time girlfreind, handed me the gunslinger on my way out the door to shift with the Sheriffs office. Started reading it that night, was hooked! I read the entire sereis back to back...
    I married that women, on December 19, 2007..........

On the cake was a single rose with "our journey begins 12, 19, 2007"

The reception, due to finantial restraints was held in april of 2008, can you geuss what day? Yes, dear constant reader, the 19th!

On the big wedding cake was, again a single rose and the "found" symbol on the cake.

When I had finished reading the sereis, I just had to get one, Rolands gun. The closest I could find to it at least. The gunslinger creed, slightly modified is tought to my students before departing to qualify on the range. Those wonderfull words do seem to help.
    I have since than read, with a few exceptions of tec. manuals and trade publications, read nothing but Si Kings works. Love them! It is a shame I wated so long in my life to start reading them!

"go my freinds, there are other worlds than these"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast