Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: How Has the Series Affected Your Life?

Mother of Dragons Erin will become famous soon enough Erin will become famous soon enough Erin's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Default How Has the Series Affected Your Life?

For many people, including myself, the series has had a significant impact on their lives. The Dark Tower is means more to me than just being a good book series.

Several years ago when I first read the series, I had just ended a 3 year long verbally and emotionally abusive relationship. I was down and depressed, doing badly in school and just had pretty much just gone off track with my life. As I progressed in the series and read more, I began to draw strength from the characters in the ka-tet. Roland's determination, Susannah's confidence, and Eddie's humor helped motivate me to get my life back on track.

Also right around the time I first started reading the series, I decided to research it online. I found a couple messageboards and joined them. I had never even heard of a messageboard before, but I quickly became immersed with reading and posting about the series. Joining these messageboards (and now joining thedarktower.org!) helped me come out of my shell and helped my suffering social skills. I also met many wonderful people (and still continue to!) that are still very near and dear to my heart.

So you can see how the books have had such a profound effect on my life.

What about you guys? How has the series affected your life? Has it at all?
    I am Daenerys Stormborn and I will take what is mine. With fire and blood.

Salvation Comes w/ a Cost OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO's Avatar

I noticed a few days ago that my old phone still says "Ka like a wind" when it boots up, which I still think pretty well sums up my last relationship.
    There's one hole in every revolution, large or small. And it's one word long.. people. No matter how big the idea they all stand under, people are small and weak and cheap and frightened. It's people that kill every revolution.

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Great topic Erin. For me its effected my life strongly because I've been with the series since I was 14 and the journey and cosmic mysteries wrapped up in it has left a permanent and very deep mark on my soul.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm in on the 30 year journey, too.

I became a fan of King through his other works, but there is just something about The Dark Tower that speaks to me. And, because of it, I ended up here, doing something I love. (Now, if I could just get paid in real money..)

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Daghain View Post
    And, because of it, I ended up here, doing something I love. (Now, if I could just get paid in real money..)
    Stalking me?
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, that would be more of a bonus, actually.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

How has the series affected my little life?

Just look around... it gave my friends and mates and showed me the gate to an amazing world. From that lonely kid who spent her whole day without eating in her silent room just reading reading and reading to... to here. It was a long walk.
    I could write for hours how it affected my life. I might give it a try later.

Amazing thread, Erin.

Roland would have understood.

a ghost? a ghost. Rjeso will become famous soon enough Rjeso will become famous soon enough Rjeso's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead

DT was an awesome story that completely took over my mind while I was going along with Roland for the first time. I had only read three of the books when I first joined dt.net, and I met a bunch of awesome people who were very welcoming, easy to talk to, and a blast to palaver with. However, the biggest impact would be the one I least expected, which was finding Jimmy. So yeah, this series has had a huuuuuge effect on life as I know it. Viva DT!
    you're solid gold // i'll see you in hell

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I wear cowboy boots to work.

a ghost? a ghost. Rjeso will become famous soon enough Rjeso will become famous soon enough Rjeso's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead

Don't lie, you always did that.
    you're solid gold // i'll see you in hell

Breaker Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

I think the series really helped open up my mind to endless possibilities and also was a big stepping stone on my way to starting writing. Knig just finds a way to touch the hidden place inside us all.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

The series has had a major impact on my life. We'll put this site aside for the moment but its a big part.

King somehow helped me figure out some amazing things about myself and about the nature of reality around me. It seems like he may be some kind of teacher because the things he has taught me through his characters has been staggering.

There there is this place and you guys. I am not sure I have ever felt more fulfilled by what could be considered a "hobby". Its so much more than that. Through the course of this place, I am saved from my natural hermetness and actually interact with people outside my small bubble of reality. I like it a lot.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I like the later part of your post Matt.

<3

John F. Kennedy gunslinger19 is on a distinguished road gunslinger19's Avatar

The biggest effect it has had on my life is simply that The Gunslinger was the first Stephen King book I read, almost twenty years ago now. From that point on King was my favorite author and I have eagerly awaited each and every book. Other than that the biggest affect has been that I think about the series all the time. Sometimes when I am concentrating on something else something from The Dark Tower will seep into my mind and I find myself chasing these thoughts for most of the rest of the day

Along the Path of the Beam Rolands_Father is on a distinguished road Rolands_Father's Avatar

The Dark Tower has a very special place in my heart. What I found is that the Dark Tower series has stuck with me long after I finished the last book. Longer than any other book or series I ever read. Most other books gradulaly fade over time, but not the Dark Tower. Enyone else feel this way?
    The Dark Tower...
    Simply The Best

Roland Rocks Mid-World!!!
    And all other Worlds!!!

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

The Dark Tower is timeless. I hope someday it's famous enough kids have to read it in school.... *le sigh&

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I have no doubt.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by LadyHitchhiker View Post
    The Dark Tower is timeless. I hope someday it's famous enough kids have to read it in school.... *le sigh&
    You speak from my heart. Thank you.

Roland would have understood.

John F. Kennedy susie is on a distinguished road susie's Avatar

the books are very bleak but... humanistic? hm, i don't think that's the word i'm looking for... i mean: all the allusions to other writers and singers in this work, it really proves the importance of art -- that when you make something, it doesn't just exist in a void by itself, it connects you to your audience, and it is like a seed in a field of roses, creating new inspiration and new life. all these references came together in one man's mind, but that mind created and peopled a full world.
    and stephen king brilliantly inserted himself in the story, it was such an amazing statement on the power of human imagination.
    so when i finished the series i just had a wonderful feeling despite the sad events in the plot.
    "where the road is dark and the seed is sowed
    where the gun is cocked and the bullets cold
    where the miles are marked in the blood and gold
    i'll meet you further on up the road"
    -themaninblack

Goldmember Kevin will become famous soon enough Kevin will become famous soon enough Kevin's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by susie View Post
    the books are very bleak but... humanistic? hm, i don't think that's the word i'm looking for... i mean: all the allusions to other writers and singers in this work, it really proves the importance of art -- that when you make something, it doesn't just exist in a void by itself, it connects you to your audience, and it is like a seed in a field of roses, creating new inspiration and new life. all these references came together in one man's mind, but that mind created and peopled a full world.
    and stephen king brilliantly inserted himself in the story, it was such an amazing statement on the power of human imagination.
    so when i finished the series i just had a wonderful feeling despite the sad events in the plot.
    Oh wow.

You are most welcome to the site Susie, that was brilliantly put.

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Seconded - excellent post, I dug that

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Want to know how the series has affected my life the most? I have made so many more friends than I ever had before. I have met smart intelligent funny whimsical people I couldn't see my life without. I have grown as a person because of the series.

Mother of Dragons Erin will become famous soon enough Erin will become famous soon enough Erin's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Bumpity bump.

This is a topic i'm quite interested in. We have a lot of newer members signing up and i'm interested in hearing some of their stories.
    I am Daenerys Stormborn and I will take what is mine. With fire and blood.

My Mood
    Worried

Me too! This is a great thread!

The White! MonteGss is on a distinguished road MonteGss's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

This is a difficult question Erin, thanks for the great thread.

I, like so many others, grew up with Roland. I read The Gunslinger right around age 13 and when I was able to read DT2 (13 again), I was wholly hooked and I thought about the series a lot. I waited anxiously over the years for another chapter to come out and like many others, felt like the wait was forever. By the time the last three books came out, I was an adult and the books hit me even more. I had, up to that point, never cried while reading a book before. The tet were my friends and it was hard to read those last books.

I've been doing the message board thing for a year now and has caused me to have the books on my mind almost everyday. I talk about it a lot (which makes my wife think I'm only a little weird) and I know I will read the series at least once a year (or more) for the rest of my life, I imagine.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast