Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: How Has the Series Affected Your Life?

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Too sweet!
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Traveler BabyBlue is on a distinguished road BabyBlue's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

When I was 12 I left a home which was no home at all. From that point on I was raised by my grandparents and Roland of Gilead. The DT series means to me almost as much as I would imagine the bible means to other people. Whenever I am lost and lonley, haunted and hurting I reread some old dog eared SK book and find my way back onto the path. Ok this reads crazy... I feel like I should be handing out pamphlets on a street corner and shouting GAN LOVES YOU!

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by BabyBlue View Post
    When I was 12 I left a home which was no home at all. From that point on I was raised by my grandparents and Roland of Gilead. The DT series means to me almost as much as I would imagine the bible means to other people. Whenever I am lost and lonley, haunted and hurting I reread some old dog eared SK book and find my way back onto the path. Ok this reads crazy... I feel like I should be handing out pamphlets on a street corner and shouting GAN LOVES YOU!
    *big DT junkie hugs* And who could you share your DT fandom with? You should have joined this site much much earlier to meet people who feel the same way you do.

Roland would have understood.

Citizen of Gilead thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

GAN loves us all!!! The dark tower series...where to start.... The beam draws us to it in different ways. For me it was bordom and a desperate need for something new. Growing up sans television I burned ants for entertainment. Nothing like seeing the "commala" under 15x magnification!
    "Absorb the genius of the moment." -Michael Stipe
    "Victory is sweet even deep in the cheap seats." -Connor Oberst
    NEED:

One For Road Signed Artist Edition, PS Publishing
    The Gunslinger Viking proof
    Carrie $7.95 Doubleday later printing

Traveler BabyBlue is on a distinguished road BabyBlue's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

*Junkie hugs back* Its true Lettie, I'm so glad I found this site!

John F. Kennedy unclelouie will become famous soon enough

The Dark Tower has affected my life greatly thus far (Im just finishing up Wolves...).

I am in my 30s, and I remember being in Jr High when "IT" first came on television (the mini series). I can tell you SO many people my age who will tell you that "IT" was their introduction to the world of Stephen King (albeit... I had seen Children of the Corn as a kid, but at the time had no idea it was a SK movie). So after the movie came on tv, I convinced my grandmother.. yes, my dear grandmother to buy me the novel version of "IT".. told her it was about clowns. She bought it.

I was then hooked for life, but not until this year did I pick up the Dark Tower...

but why?

Dunno... but I can tell you, it came along at the perfect time. I would not have appreciated the Tower series as much as a teen or 20 something, but it came along at the perfect time..

Life right now has slowed down a bit. Most of my friends are married with families. I spend most of my time working. Im at the age where the world seems so small, and life seems so mundane. The world seems to lack wonder. Get up. Go to work. Come home. Do it all again the next day..

It's been a couple years since I withdrew from the dating pool. I figure if god wills it, there will be water.... I find the "dating scene" a waste of time, and wasnt having much fun with it. So I spend most of my time alone.. and Im ok with that, but like I said.. life was becoming so mundane.

On a whim, I picked up the Gunslinger one day... it has since opened up a world to me full of wonder, excitement, human drama, and just about every other emotion you can muster up. It gives mundane terms like "existence", "time", "space", and "world" very deep meaning.... its even changed how I view my own mundane world. I often think of the world we live in as just a speck in something greater.. and far less mundane out there..

Demon of the Prim Yaksha has a spectacular aura about Yaksha has a spectacular aura about Yaksha has a spectacular aura about Yaksha's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

You know, I just got my brother-in-law into The Dark Tower. He had never really read a book before but he was told The Dark Tower was a really great story. So, I lent him my copies. I don't know how he is enjoying his first journey to the Tower, but I can't help but remember mine. I really was obsessed with finishing the books. I stayed up for days when I got the last two books. (Yes I waited for VII to come out before I read VI. Longest hardest waiting I have ever done.) My diet consisted of coffee, mountain dew, and junk food. But, at the end, I was satisfied and relieved. I got to experience an amazing epic, and it still remains my favorite series of all time. I catch myself using phrases from the story all the time. I am genuinely glad I also found a place with amazing people who love the series as much as I do. This place has become one of the reasons I always try to have internet wherever I go.
    If you love me then love me..

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

That's cool, Yaksha. Nice to hear! TDT will always have a special place in our hearts.

Traveler BlackViper is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Well, how to start. In my 14, I read only King's books, so it was matter of time when I find DT. At first, I readed fourth book, realized this is part of bigger saga and I had to read it all. I borrowed and readed one book after another so quickly, but I was lucky, because all books were already translated to my language at this time. I remember I managed to read last book in one shot. It was amazing, after some refreshment and a few day of break, I started to read saga again. Because at that times my parents began to divorce and my first great love betrayed me, DT saga was something like secret hideout to my mind, a brand new world, full of terrors, dangers, but full of heroes too. I cannot imagine what man I would be if I had not read the saga. For times of puberty and teenage years, idea of my Dark Tower somewhere out there, waiting for me and justyfying everything what went wrong in my life, this idea was only thing I look up to, it was only reason to survive. It did well. Now I'm reading mostly scifi and fantasy books, but after I read this thread, I need to dust off my DT books and remind myself that spinning idea of heroism and motivation.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by BlackViper View Post
    Well, how to start. In my 14, I read only King's books, so it was matter of time when I find DT. At first, I readed fourth book, realized this is part of bigger saga and I had to read it all. I borrowed and readed one book after another so quickly, but I was lucky, because all books were already translated to my language at this time. I remember I managed to read last book in one shot. It was amazing, after some refreshment and a few day of break, I started to read saga again. Because at that times my parents began to divorce and my first great love betrayed me, DT saga was something like secret hideout to my mind, a brand new world, full of terrors, dangers, but full of heroes too. I cannot imagine what man I would be if I had not read the saga. For times of puberty and teenage years, idea of my Dark Tower somewhere out there, waiting for me and justyfying everything what went wrong in my life, this idea was only thing I look up to, it was only reason to survive. It did well. Now I'm reading mostly scifi and fantasy books, but after I read this thread, I need to dust off my DT books and remind myself that spinning idea of heroism and motivation.
    Hey!! Welcome to the site!!!! Browse around and join in the debates!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Traveler NickP will become famous soon enough

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Well I used to despise reading, but after everyone started raving about 11/22/63, I decided to read some of King's stuff. I randomly grabbed the first book of the series, and now I absolutely love reading. It's also a massive part of my childhood. I'm almost 17 now and started reading these in January of 2012, so years from now if I see these books again they'll bring up a lot of memories.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by NickP View Post
    Well I used to despise reading, but after everyone started raving about 11/22/63, I decided to read some of King's stuff. I randomly grabbed the first book of the series, and now I absolutely love reading. It's also a massive part of my childhood. I'm almost 17 now and started reading these in January of 2012, so years from now if I see these books again they'll bring up a lot of memories.
    Anything that promotes "reading" is a good thing in my book!!! Welcome!! Read on, there is a wealth of tome's out there!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Amen.

NickP, look around, maybe you will post your ideas on the other (not King's) books too - there are a lot of forums and threads.

Also, if you ever happen write something yourself, you are very welcome to post it here. The more people read - and write - the better our universe.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Traveler dennis1979 will become famous soon enough dennis1979 will become famous soon enough

Country
    Country Flag

First of all allow me to introduce myself; my name is Dennis. I'm from the Netherlands. On forehand I would like to apologize for my pore English.

I fell in love with Roland, Mid-World and all the other characters from the moment I laid my eyes on them. I read the series every view years from beginning to end, and to be honest Roland and his quest and all his sacrifices are always on my mind.
    It has changed my life extremely! It changed the way I look at things and how I approach everything on my path.

Especially Wizard & Glass has made an deep impact on me. Young Roland and his unconditional love for Susan Delgado. I must admit that I felt in love with Susan as well and I still am. She holds a special place in my heart as well as Jake Chambers does, I see him as my younger brother.

This sounds silly to a lot of people here in Holland, but I couldn't care less, it is just the way I feel about the Dark Tower.

I truly believe we are all on our quest to find our own Dark Tower and we want to protect our rose.

Clown on the Bus Dano has a spectacular aura about Dano has a spectacular aura about Dano's Avatar

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

Hello! I am new to the forums and must admit (much to my wife's chagrin - she shoved two different copies of The Gunslinger on my desk just now) that the only work of Mr. King's I've not read are the Dark Tower books! I am beginning tonight and look forward to the change in my life!

Dan

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Dano, can you hear the gnashing of teeth? It's everyone here envying you! Everyone wants to read TDT for the first time once again.

Read - and post - and read - and post...

There are many threads with interesting duscussions that don't seem active at the moment - don't hesitate to post in them! Any ideas you have will be precious!

Gunslinger Stebbins is a jewel in the rough Stebbins is a jewel in the rough Stebbins is a jewel in the rough Stebbins's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The series has affected me more than any other book(s). My next door neighbor and best friend at the time (I was twelve) turned me on to the Dark Tower. This was my first exposure to Stephen King-- he's been my favorite author ever since. It, along with the Harry Potter books, also got me into reading for fun, and consequently writing. I hope with all my heart I get to have a discussion with Mr. King while we're still both on this earth.

Traveler dennis1979 will become famous soon enough dennis1979 will become famous soon enough

Country
    Country Flag

Stebbins, if you don't get the chance to have an discussion with SK on this earth, don’t be alarmed and just remember there are other worlds than these.

Country
    Country Flag

Amen.

Gunslinger Stebbins is a jewel in the rough Stebbins is a jewel in the rough Stebbins is a jewel in the rough Stebbins's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by dennis1979 View Post
    Stebbins, if you don't get the chance to have an discussion with SK on this earth, don’t be alarmed and just remember there are other worlds than these.
    Sound advice, my friend.

John F. Kennedy KatetOfNineteen will become famous soon enough KatetOfNineteen's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The Dark Tower books were not the first Stephen King novels I have read(or attempted to read). I've always been an active reader, but when I was younger and tried reading The Shining, It and Pet Semetary I was too young and naïve to appreciate them for what they are. I never finished any of those books, but read the majority of them. As any younger person I read the Harry Potter series multiple times, I've read the Resident Evil novels more times than I can count. The RE novels really opened my eyes to the art and complexity of the imagination. I am a huge gamer and the novels really caught me because I was so connected to the games. I read the Lord of the Rings and some other series that were harder to understand but really helped my imagination grow. I picked up the Gunslinger last year and it took me the better part of six months to read. It wasn't very interesting to me and I really had to push my self to read it. Once I met Jake at the Way Station I didn't put it down. I finished the book and was impressed. The second I started The Drawing of the Three I didn't put it down and read it start to finish in twelve consecutive hours. I was in love! I read The Waste Lands in 3 days time. Wizard and Glass took me almost a whole semester of College to finish. Wolves was rough at first because of the Calla folken but I blew through it and since have almost finished the series. Never had I been so into books.

Back onto Topic. I am excited to talk to people about it, and being a very sociable person growing up I am constantly talking about it. I have changed my speech and my thought processes. It is something that I have absorbed. I created a pair of shoes that are Dark Tower themed. I have designed a full sleeve tattoo of the Dark Tower series and over the past few weeks been studying the language and vocabulary. I great coworkers by saying "Hile so and so". I've used "Long days and pleasant nights" numerous times. The fact that King connected his other books and himself into his Magnum Opus, and the impact it had on me when I made the connections. It's become a part of me. I'm excited to read his other novels starting with Salem's Lot and Insomnia. I'm super sad to finish the 7th book because I know that when I reread it I will be just as emotionally involved and the pictures in my head will be as wonderful as ever, but the element of surprise and the emotional toll will be lessened. That being said I am excited to be a part of this site as a new member and being able to really get in depth with others about the books.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Welcome first off all...... this site is great! It changed mine for the big reason that I found a love for books... and adventure. kris
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

John F. Kennedy KatetOfNineteen will become famous soon enough KatetOfNineteen's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I've always loved books, but The Dark Tower took me from an avid reader to a Calvin Tower of reading haha. I'm an obsessive reader now. I read anything I can get my hands on. I just bought The Legend of Zelda and Philosophy.

Gunslinger Apprentice BountyHunter is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

I read The Gunslinger years ago, but for some reason never read the rest of the books (that were out at the time). A couple of weeks ago, in the midst of making preparations for a Weird Western anthology I'm putting together, I saw a copy of The Gunslinger on the shelf. "Well, that's kind of a Weird Western," I thought to myself, so I bought it and read it. Yeah, I was hooked. So I bought the second one, then the third, which I just finished. Now I'm just getting ready to crack open the fourth. I'm pretty much obsessed with the series at the moment. Can't wait to read more.

Oh and at my local comic store yesterday, I decided to look for the comics, but they didn't have the individual issues. I asked the store owner about it and he said while they didn't have any of the individual issues left, he did have a sale going on for the hardcover collections. The first 5, for 40 dollars, marked down form 140!! Couldn't say no to that!! So now I have those to look forward to, as well, but I'm gonna hold off on it until after I've read the fourth novel, as I'm pretty sure there are spoilers in the comics concerning Susan etc.

Gunslinger Apprentice Amber is on a distinguished road Amber's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

When I was reading the series I talked to everyone esp. my husband in DT language.... he didn't get it.... I do it every time I read the series.... I do call him My Gunslinger as he is in Law enforcement and has a love for the guns, That part he gets
    Last edited by Amber; 02-16-2014 at 07:53 AM. Reason: P.S

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 LastLast