Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: King's Role in SoS

M.I.A. Unfound One is on a distinguished road Unfound One's Avatar

Aww helllll naw.
    Don't even go there.

PS - Ves' ka is talked about in DTVII a lot too.

Banned obscurejude is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by Unfound One View Post
    PS - Ves' ka is talked about in DTVII a lot too.
    Not if you rip out certain passages with a box cutter.

Oh Jesus.

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by obscurejude View Post
    As Marcion did with the Old Testament during the pre-Nicene period, I have opted to take Song of Susannah out of my personal Dark Tower cannon. I will no longer refer to it, because it doesn't exist.
    This is a very interesting strategy for dealing with something that you don't understand and/or dislike. The "ostrich-head-in-the-sand" strategy..in honor of our dear Obscurejude I present you all this picture of Obscurejude just after he read the "no-longer existant" Song of Susannah -

"It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

much as I respect obscure... I can't help feeling Mattqhew has really, truly hit the nail on the head here...

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously Jean? I thought you of all people would understand the Marcion reference as being completely ridiculous and over the top hyperbole. Athanasius is one of my heroes and I regard his Easter letter of 347 as the first mention of the present-day New Testament cannon, although my present day agnosticism challenges cannonicity generally at times. Point being, it was a joke.

I'm pretty turned off that neither of you could tell it was a joke. I'm not going to say anything else, because it pisses me off.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm pretty sure they knew it was a joke and were joking back with you Ryan.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

well, yes - I'm sorry if it was clumsy Ryan! it's not always easy to play on subtleties, especially not in a foreign language and where you can't really be seen

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Its a text thing too.

On topic:

Sometimes I think King truly believes he met Roland and Jake that day. Not a bad thing because I know he believes in infinite possibilities.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    On topic:

Sometimes I think King truly believes he met Roland and Jake that day. Not a bad thing because I know he believes in infinite possibilities.
    Oh yes, I think so.

Roland would have understood.

Country
    Country Flag

why not?

Otter of the Prim cozener will become famous soon enough cozener will become famous soon enough cozener's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Hey why can't obscure just act like SoS didn't happen? I wish I could compartmentalize my memories like that. It would save me a lot of unpleasantness...like the last 8 years

agnosticism challenges cannonicity
    I'll bet you can't say that 5 times fast.

I still don't like his presence in the book for the aforementioned reasons, but now I have a new one: why does Gan need a ves ka gan? CK, Monte, and I are wrestling with this and it seems to me that King's presence is what brings this tension within the text to the surface. Sometimes I can't help but think his role in SOS is self aggrandizing.

I still love Steven King and the Dark Tower series, or I wouldn't be here. Please don't hate me. I feel this way, in part, because I'm just frustrated.
    You're not alone in this. I didn't like it either. Not because it broke any "rules of fantasy" or whatever. There are no rules in fiction...certainly not in fantasy. I just felt that it was distracting from the story. I also felt that it was fed more corn than an Iowa hog too. But it wasn't self aggrandizing, it was arrogant. Like I've said before, Roland is King's fantasy self and he wrote himself into the story because, deep down, he wanted to share that fact with the Constant Reader. He knew it was risky. He knew not everyone would like it. But he also knew that he could get away with it and that folks would, in the end, still buy his books. But I can forgive him his arrogance. He's entitled to at least a little. Even with, what I consider, this huge mistake, the ending of this story was just about the best ending to any series of books I've read, bar none. It made up for everything I didn't like about any of it.

agnosticism challenges connonicity
    agngokthcism challencges conagg... you're right Cozener.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cozener View Post
    But it wasn't self aggrandizing, it was arrogant. Like I've said before, Roland is King's fantasy self and he wrote himself into the story because, deep down, he wanted to share that fact with the Constant Reader. He knew it was risky. He knew not everyone would like it. But he also knew that he could get away with it and that folks would, in the end, still buy his books. But I can forgive him his arrogance. He's entitled to at least a little. Even with, what I consider, this huge mistake, the ending of this story was just about the best ending to any series of books I've read, bar none. It made up for everything I didn't like about any of it.

I don't see his portrayl as arrogant in the slightest. In fact he portrays himself in some pretty negative ways. Originally Eddie and Roland think he is their creator but it turns out that he is not Gan but Gan's Prophet or Singer. And doesn't like being it much at all, to boot. I really can't see any arrogance in there.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Otter of the Prim cozener will become famous soon enough cozener will become famous soon enough cozener's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

I wasn't referring to the character of Stephen King in the DT. I was referring to the author himself. When I said he was being arrogant I meant that he was very confident in that the folks that followed DT would follow it to the end even if he indulged himself in something that he knew might not come off so well. He figured that because we think he's so great (or at least because we've come this far) he could get away with showing us that Roland had always been Stephen King seen through the filter of his fantasies even at what many might see as the expense of the story.

In a way, I appreciate that he did share this with us but I would have preferred he just state as much in the afterward of DT7.

It just sounds to me like you didn't like how the story went, with him including himself and so view it as arrogance on the part of King. I don't see any evidence that King was being arrogant in any way. He has always written what comes to him and not been overly concerned about what his fans think.
    I don't see his inclusion as a character as an indulgence, but something he's been wanting to do for awhile but it finally came to him how to do it.

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

I don't think King put himself into the story consciously. He wrote down that he felt he had to write down. Like usual. His character in the books can't be arrogant because he described himself as a very weak, lost person. And if accept and believe him when he says he doesn't write consciously how can he be arrogant at all?

Roland would have understood.

The White! MonteGss is on a distinguished road MonteGss's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I agree with CK and Letti. King doesn't give seem to give a shit what his readers want. He writes what he wants and doesn't seem to "plan" much of it out. I saw no arrogance on writing himself in the story. After all, his presence in the story was building up from Book 2 and to me, it was natural.

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by All_Hail_The_Crimson_King View Post
    It just sounds to me like you didn't like how the story went, with him including himself and so view it as arrogance on the part of King. I don't see any evidence that King was being arrogant in any way. He has always written what comes to him and not been overly concerned about what his fans think.
    I don't see his inclusion as a character as an indulgence, but something he's been wanting to do for awhile but it finally came to him how to do it.
    Then perhaps you, as someone that liked what he did, would rather I used the word "bold"?

Bold is good. Better than being a wimp.

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

The reason I ask is that as soon as I realized what King was about to do I said to myself, "Wow...now thats a bold move. Hope he doesn't fuck it up..."

Silverloch John_and_Yoko will become famous soon enough John_and_Yoko's Avatar

My Mood
    Angelic

Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    Today I was thinking generally about King's role in Song of Susannah.

Did you like his appearance in the novel?

Do you think King created Roland by writing about him or did Roland already exist and King just wrote about him?
    I enjoyed it--lately I've come to love learning about "the story behind the story," and I don't mind fictionalizations of those at all. Something about those makes them more "real," in a way, to me....

As for your last question, I think the "or" is deceptive. Why does it have to be one or the other?

I'm so with ya on that JY. King having himself as character brought a whole nother level of intensity and reality to the Dark Tower Saga for me. I was NOT expecting it when I read SOS for the first time, I managed to stay good and clear of all spoilers on .Net.
    So it REALLY blew me away. Especially the part involving his trance when he was telling about Los' sending the spiders after him to turn him into a vampire that would tell Los's story instead.
    I remember having to put the book down and just step away and take a breather at that point, it was just that overwhelming.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast