+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: King's Role in SoS

Gunslinger Apprentice Tony_A is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by theyspunaweb View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    He appears in his movies??? Where? How? I might have missed something...
    here I may be a little off because I haven't seen the entirety of S.K.'s movies, but he's appeared in the ones I have, and I was quoting my mother. He always makes a small (and shall I say..."dorky"?) appearance in his movies. Like a delivery man, who says one line or something like that. You have to look out for his role in the movie but it is something special. I watched Graveyard Shift the other night however, and didn't see him (I may have missed it though because I was reading in between commercials) and I could have missed him or he could have started appearing in his movies later on too?
    According to IMDB, King has appeared in the following movies/shows for which he has written:

Kingdom Hospital
    Rose Red
    Storm of the Century
    The Shining (1997 mini)
    Thinner
    The Langoliers
    The Stand
    Sleepwalkers
    Golden Years
    Pet Sematary
    Both Creepshows
    Maximum Overdrive

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

I have no eyes...

Roland would have understood.

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

I have no eyes...
    That must make your movie watching experience very interesting.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

- razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by Tony_A View Post
    According to IMDB, King has appeared in the following movies/shows for which he has written:

Kingdom Hospital
    Rose Red
    Storm of the Century
    The Shining (1997 mini)
    Thinner
    The Langoliers
    The Stand
    Sleepwalkers
    Golden Years
    Pet Sematary
    Both Creepshows
    Maximum Overdrive
    "Come over here, sugar buns! This machine just called me an asshole!"

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by All_Hail_The_Crimson_King View Post
    I have no eyes...
    That must make your movie watching experience very interesting.
    I'd rather use the word hard.

Traveler droland is on a distinguished road

Default king in the third person (spoilers)

is it just me or is it a little weird to here Stephen King talk about himself in the third person in this book? discuss.

Country
    Country Flag

For me it's not weird, at all. It was... strange for some pages but after that it was great.

For me it's not weird, at all. It was... strange for some pages but after that it was great.
    hmm... so you didn't think king putting himself into the story was a bad idea?

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Making the DT series into meta-fiction was an interesting concept, I just don't know how much I care for the way King did it.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by droland View Post
    I wasn't sure at all that he would manage and first I didn't like the idea at all. But page by page I felt it was good as it was and now after 2 more rereadings it's absolutely good and natural.

Goldmember Melike will become famous soon enough Melike's Avatar

It was like a present to me, never thought it is weird. King's including himself in the Dark Tower story, made it deeper;
    Dark Tower ending

And it represents how strong King is connected to the story.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Melike View Post
    It was like a present to me, never thought it is weird. King's including himself in the Dark Tower story made it deeper.
    Agree.

shrewd and knavish sprite flaggwalkstheline will become famous soon enough flaggwalkstheline's Avatar

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

that was where the Dark tower officially blew my mind
    Up to that point it was a great fantasy story
    but when He made himself a character and made his writing a part of the story was where I felt that it really went off the deep end (in a totally awesome way)
    It turned it into something more than "just fiction"
    if the worlds gonna end then let's get it over with, i got shit to do

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Hey droland

Glad you're getting stuck in and discussing the books with us all...but! Be sure to check the existing threads first, we already have a thread discussing this topic, which I shall merge yours with

Quote Originally Posted by Darkthoughts View Post
    Hey droland

Glad you're getting stuck in and discussing the books with us all...but! Be sure to check the existing threads first, we already have a thread discussing this topic, which I shall merge yours with
    oops, sorry about that. i skimmed through and didn't find it. should have done a quick search. i cry your pardon sai.

i don't know. maybe king being in the story will grow on me. it's just so very different for me, i guess. i've never read a story where the author puts himself in it (other than autobiographies of course). i'm reading the last book for the second time now. i usually wait long periods of time between readings of my favorite books so i always forget what happens by the time i re-read it.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

It used to freak me out when Clive Cussler did it too.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by flaggwalkstheline View Post
    It turned it into something more than "just fiction"
    I think there are plenty of elements in the series that are. King bringing himself into the series brings that home for a lot of folk.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Matthew is no longer affiliated with the Crimson King?

Banned obscurejude is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by droland View Post
    Scroll back my friend. I hated the idea and have been vocal about it. A few others weren't so keen on it either.

Welcome to the site.

Blaine the Terror Train Mad Man is on a distinguished road Mad Man's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

to be honest i hated it, i really really hated it.... it like stabbed me
    It was perfect till he wrapped himself into the story .... and i wouldn't mind it so much if he'd be a small character there but no... the hint at famous and great writer in 1999 to Jake was the worst part... huge ego

Gunslinger Apprentice The King of Kings is on a distinguished road

The only part I didn't like about Stephen King's role in the novel was how the characters handled the situation. You'd think if you just met the dictator of your universe, you'd ask better questions then what they did.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Man View Post
    to be honest i hated it, i really really hated it.... it like stabbed me
    It was perfect till he wrapped himself into the story .... and i wouldn't mind it so much if he'd be a small character there but no... the hint at famous and great writer in 1999 to Jake was the worst part... huge ego
    I have written it before as well but I am sure he didn't write himself into the story because of his ego. In fact he seemed weak and ordinary in the story. I didn't feel anything special about him. He didn't paint a good picture of himself.

Quote Originally Posted by The King of Kings View Post
    The only part I didn't like about Stephen King's role in the novel was how the characters handled the situation. You'd think if you just met the dictator of your universe, you'd ask better questions then what they did.
    Because they did know all the time that they had very important business to do. They couldn't waste their time with monkey business. I am sure they were confused and it was very hard to speak with him. I can understand them... for my part I couldn't have handled the situation at all but I am not a gunslinger.
    DT7
    Maybe Roland and Eddie had some idea -deep inside- about it and they didn't really believe that they were just characters in a book.

Just my two cents.

Blaine the Terror Train Mad Man is on a distinguished road Mad Man's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I have written it before as well but I am sure he didn't write himself into the story because of his ego. In fact he seemed weak and ordinary in the story. I didn't feel anything special about him. He didn't paint a good picture of himself.
    Weak and ordinary doesn't change the fact that he was there... why would one talk about himself in such epic fiction book? Even the minor mentioning of authors name in the story would be silly and sad in my opinion - of course it would ruin quite a lot for me.... but to give "yourself" an important character in the story, one who's "important" in the story, "key" to the Tower - just killing me.

Gunslinger Apprentice Whitey Appleseed is on a distinguished road Whitey Appleseed's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Today [Erin/Manager, 11-08-2007, nineteen, may it do ya] I was thinking generally about King's role in Song of Susannah.
    Did you like his appearance in the novel?

Yeah, thought it was a real hoot. Previous book, TWOTC, Eddie heard King's voice and spoke to him, interrupted the narration and said, "Nope," not lungs--when Andy was signaling (messenger robot, many other functions) in the crossmock, singing Vivaldi backwards). Callahan appeared in a tale about him...maybe there's another instance of something like this happening in 1-6 books.

Do you think King created Roland by writing about him or did Roland already exist and King just wrote about him?

I know Roland already existed cause in came into Lindell's Coffee Shop the other day and told me so. Surprised to see him, truth be told. What say? Roland, I said, Whitey, he nodded, then he said he had issues with me, something me making him look like a bad man, what with some of my posts. He tapped a sandalwood revolver on his hip, wagged his eyebrows up and down. Think about dude, big-big, he said. I've been pondering the thought.
    Last edited by Whitey Appleseed; 01-14-2009 at 04:06 AM. Reason: type on signally/signaling

Goldmember Melike will become famous soon enough Melike's Avatar

If it is his egoism that made King to put himself into the story, I would wish his ego to grow more.
    Creation is the greatest egoist.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast