Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 93 of 188 FirstFirst ... 43 83 91 92 93 94 95 103 143 ... LastLast
Results 2,301 to 2,325 of 4697

Thread: General Television Discussion

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Default General Television Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Staad View Post
    I will also put this out there...We are not big fans of gratuitous violence and sex. One show we love, Game of Thrones, has both but the story line and acting is strong enough for us to see past what we consider unneeded elements to good story telling. We cannot take a ton of that mess.
    That's where GOT lost me. I loved the first season but as it went on I saw no need for all those sex scenes and was turned off by it. I didn't feel the same with Banshee though, which had a lot of violence and sex scenes. I kept saying, well this is just not necessary, but the rest of the show always won out.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

You are certainly right about drama. The drama on television now is much better. But the lighter, satirical stuff, is just not that good. (I forgot to mention we loved season 1 of True Detective and The Killing). Again, we just can't watch much of that intense violence, sex, and gore. We would like to see more things that are satirical and can be watched in a family environment.
    There are tons of great recent (21st century) comedies such as How I Met Your Mother, The Big Bang Theory, Arrested Development, Modern Family, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Parks and Recreation, Archer, BoJack Horseman, Silicon Valley, Younger, Curb Your Enthusiasm, The Goldbergs, The Mindy Project, New Girl, 30 Rock... I can go on.

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

It's funny but I have seen a number of those that you listed and we didn't care for them. The one exception may be Modern Family which we did watch the first 2 or 3 seasons of. One more modern sitcom that we did love was the American version of The Office.

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    You are certainly right about drama. The drama on television now is much better. But the lighter, satirical stuff, is just not that good. (I forgot to mention we loved season 1 of True Detective and The Killing). Again, we just can't watch much of that intense violence, sex, and gore. We would like to see more things that are satirical and can be watched in a family environment.
    There are tons of great recent (21st century) comedies such as How I Met Your Mother, The Big Bang Theory, Arrested Development, Modern Family, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Parks and Recreation, Archer, BoJack Horseman, Silicon Valley, Younger, Curb Your Enthusiasm, The Goldbergs, The Mindy Project, New Girl, 30 Rock... I can go on.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia is the best sitcom airing today.

That is all.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    I will also put this out there...We are not big fans of gratuitous violence and sex. One show we love, Game of Thrones, has both but the story line and acting is strong enough for us to see past what we consider unneeded elements to good story telling. We cannot take a ton of that mess.
    That's where GOT lost me. I loved the first season but as it went on I saw no need for all those sex scenes and was turned off by it. I didn't feel the same with Banshee though, which had a lot of violence and sex scenes. I kept saying, well this is just not necessary, but the rest of the show always won out.
    I hear a lot of people say that and it's a real shame because that's such a small aspect of the show. It shocks me how uncomfortable people are with sex. I'm surprised we haven't gone extinct yet. Your loss.

I'm willing to bet Ben doesn't like single camera, no laugh track shows. I'm just judging that by the sitcoms he listed as some of his favorites. I know he listed a few exceptions, but I bet that's rare. My dad is the same way. He will only watch 3 camera setup sitcoms with a laugh track. I know what's funny. I don't need a track to tell me when to laugh anymore.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I only watch shows with a laugh track and would prefer to have someone with a better sense of humor than me tell me when to laugh. I will also give up my healthy sex life with my partner of 20 years so we can all enjoy a good orgy together, tape it, and re-watch it as long as it's part of a good story. I can't really believe your comments...

It's not my loss at all. We have differing opinions on what is good and why...end of story. That is okay.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I only watch shows with a laugh track and would prefer to have someone with a better sense of humor than me tell me when to laugh. I will also give up my healthy sex life with my partner of 20 years so we can all enjoy a good orgy together, tape it, and re-watch it as long as it's part of a good story. I can't really believe your comments...

It's not my loss at all. We have differing opinions on what is good and why...end of story. That is okay.
    Not watching a show because it shows boobs every once in a while doesn't make sense. Besides, I wasn't referring to you because I'm pretty sure you mentioned that you watch and enjoy Game of Thrones.

As for the laugh track assessment, I wasn't trying to be offensive. I was just stating that your taste in sitcoms might be more traditional in nature. I'm not sure that warranted such a hostile response, but like you said, we all have differing opinions.

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    Besides, I wasn't referring to you because I'm pretty sure you mentioned that you watch and enjoy Game of Thrones.
    Ben, if I have this straight I think it's me he was referring to as the prude who is uncomfortable with sex, and also that it was my loss for not watching the show. I'm not offended by the comment... we all have opinions. I'm good with how I am toward sex, and in terms of my loss, maybe it is, but I don't feel that way. I tried to like that show and just couldn't get into it.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    Besides, I wasn't referring to you because I'm pretty sure you mentioned that you watch and enjoy Game of Thrones.
    Ben, if I have this straight I think it's me he was referring to as the prude who is uncomfortable with sex, and also that it was my loss for not watching the show. I'm not offended by the comment... we all have opinions. I'm good with how I am toward sex, and in terms of my loss, maybe it is, but I don't feel that way. I tried to like that show and just couldn't get into it.
    I never called you a prude. You said yourself that you enjoyed the first season, that's why I said it's your loss. You clearly enjoyed the show and you probably would have continued to enjoy it if you stuck with it.

I'm honestly not trying to offend anybody. I'm just trying to understand where you, and a few other people I've talked to, are coming from. You could always just fast forward through those scenes. There's really only 1 or 2. I actually think they've toned it down as the seasons have gone on.

Lastly, we aren't seeing anything too crazy here, guys. It's not like we are seeing hardcore sex scenes with
    Spoiler:
    anal
    and
    Spoiler:
    bodily fluids
    everywhere. It's literally just boobs.

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

True, the prude word is from me. It's just a good word to describe being uncomfortable with sex. At least I think it is.

So, GoT. From what I can remember, I watched season 1 and loved it, like I said. Then I think I binged watched 2, 3 and 4. Maybe just 2 and 3. Can't recall now. And through it all, I tried to like it but it just didn't hit that spot for me. Every time there was a sex scene, it felt to me that it was thrown in there for shock value, or simply because it's an HBO show so it needs to make its quota of sex scenes.

They kept feeling out of place and did nothing to enhance the story for me. Then after some time, I realized I am not enjoying this and gave up. Perhaps some day I will revisit it again. Binge all 6 seasons. Kapow.

I don't know why Banshee was different. At first, I though... here goes, another show with the crazy sex scenes all over the place, but as I got into it, it felt so much a part of the DNA of the show, that I wasn't even noticing them anymore. Well, I was noticing them of course, but it all felt right in relation to the rest of the show.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Every time there was a sex scene, it felt to me that it was thrown in there for shock value, or simply because it's an HBO show so it needs to make its quota of sex scenes.

They kept feeling out of place and did nothing to enhance the story for me.
    Black Sails (on Starz) is like that too. A lot of sex scenes that serve no real purpose. I guess it shows how rough and desperate the characters are (they're pirates, after all), but I can't think of any way that the sex and prostitution scenes advanced the plot of the show. It doesn't make me too uncomfortable; I think I'm more upset with the time that could've been used to move the story forward.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Speaking of Curb Your Enthusiasm (which is one of favorite shows) it was announced earlier this summer that it'll be returning for a new season Can't wait. Although I do hope it's much, much better than the last season.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Country
    Country Flag

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Discussing sex scenes and no one's mentioned Spartacus yet? Blasphemy!

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

No question.. another win for Netflix. They just know how to do shows!
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Anyone watching Timeless? I think it's a lot of fun. I do hope that, as the season progresses, they start to focus on the villain and the overall "mythology" of the show. Then again, it's on NBC, where drama episodes=90% case-of-the-week stuff and 10% mythology (The Blacklist, Blindspot), so...
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    Anyone watching Timeless? I think it's a lot of fun. I do hope that, as the season progresses, they start to focus on the villain and the overall "mythology" of the show. Then again, it's on NBC, where drama episodes=90% case-of-the-week stuff and 10% mythology (The Blacklist, Blindspot), so...
    I'm enjoying Timeless as well. It's light and fluffy. I could use a little more mythology, but like you said, I kind of knew what I was getting into with a network drama. As you guys know by now, I love time travel stuff. I just love seeing the set and costume design. That alone will keep me coming back every week.

That and Abigail Spencer.

Country
    Country Flag

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Has anyone watched Goliath? There's one season with 8 episodes. Watched it all yesterday. I really enjoyed it. Great show.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I caught that teaser before Westworld and it literally told me nothing about the show, which isn't a bad thing. It has a great cast.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm not sure how many people watch The Goldbergs, but the episode on the 26th is Stephen King themed.

Country
    Country Flag

Can't wait!
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Country
    Country Flag

SNL really hit it big last night, this is an instant classic, one of their best sketches, maybe ever:

Country
    Country Flag

I watched it last night and didn't think it was memorable at all. A couple chuckles, sure, but one of the best ever?
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

+ Reply to Thread
Page 93 of 188 FirstFirst ... 43 83 91 92 93 94 95 103 143 ... LastLast