Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 137 of 188 FirstFirst ... 37 87 127 135 136 137 138 139 147 187 ... LastLast
Results 3,401 to 3,425 of 4697

Thread: General Television Discussion

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Mads Mikkelsen was compelling, frightening, and overall extraordinary.
    Eastasia has always provided Drag Queen Story Hour to young children.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by St. Troy View Post
    Agreee... but no Hopkins.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    The performances were pretty different; I'm not sure I put MM above AH, but I definitely don't put AH above MM. I think they're both that great.

Gunslinger Apprentice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    The performances were pretty different; I'm not sure I put MM above AH, but I definitely don't put AH above MM. I think they're both that great.
    They were both insanely awesome, but two totally different characters. AH was initially captured and despised; MH was initially revered and hiding in plain sight

Always thought it was wild that AH claimed it was his easiest character to play. Stay still, don’t blink, and speak with as few breaths as possible. That was his entire “getting into character” process

Country
    Country Flag

Maerlyn's Imp allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte's Avatar

My Mood
    Confused

Stranger Things
    Season 1 was absolutely outstanding
    Season 2 surprised me as it wasn't that good until the final episodes.
    Season 3 was absolutely outstanding. It did not disappoint. Curious if we will have a season 4.
    Words have no power to impress the mind without the exquisite horror of their reality. Edgar Allan Poe

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by allasorte View Post
    Stranger Things
    Season 1 was absolutely outstanding
    Season 2 surprised me as it wasn't that good until the final episodes.
    Season 3 was absolutely outstanding. It did not disappoint. Curious if we will have a season 4.
    The Duffer Brothers were quoted a while back saying it was only going to be 4 seasons. Then they said it would go past that, but not by much. Whatever that means. The show is incredibly popular and has done wonders for Netflix I'm sure.

That being said, once shows go into their 3rd or 4th seasons, they have to start signing the talent to new (read larger) contracts. That's where things could get tricky. It could get particularly interesting with Millie Bobbie Brown, who is clearly the breakout star of the show. Hollywood is chomping at the bit to start throwing roles her way. We already saw her in the new Godzilla movie, where she was completely wasted in my opinion.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Country
    Country Flag

https://deadline.com/2019/06/punky-b...cp-1202626648/
    Another classic sitcom is eying a return with its original star. UCP is developing Punky Brewster, a sequel to the 1984 NBC sitcom, with Soleil Moon Frye set to reprise her role as the titular character that became a pop culture icon of the 1980s.

The original multi-camera series, created by David W. Duclon, centered on Punky (Frye), a bright young girl raised by a foster dad (George Gaynes). In the multi-camera/hybrid reboot, Punky (Frye) is now a single mother of three trying to get her life back on track when she meets a young girl who reminds her a lot of her younger self.

The follow-up series is written and executive produced by Steve and Jim Armogida (School of Rock, Grounded For Life). Frye will also serve as executive producer along with Duclon and Emmy-winning producer Jimmy Fox (The Arrangement) of Main Event Media, an All3Media America company.

Punky Brewster, which catapulted its young star Frye to fame, ran for four seasons, two on NBC, the rest in syndication. It nabbed three Primetime Emmy nominations including two for Outstanding Children’s Program. Frye also voiced the Punky character in It’s Punky Brewster, an animated spinoff series that ran two season and earned a Daytime Emmy nomination for Outstanding Animated Program.

While UCP has produced hourlong and half-hour comedy series with Difficult People, Psych, Playing House and Happy!, Punky Brewster marks a the studio’s first foray into multi-camera/family sitcoms.

Other popular sitcoms of the 1980s and 1990s that have made a return with the original stars over the past few years include Boy Meets World, Full House, Will & Grace and Roseanne.

Following her breakout role on Punky Brewster, Frye guest starred on such series as Friends, Saved by the Bell and The Wonder Years and recurred on Sabrina, the Teenage Witch opposite Melissa Joan Hart. Frye has done extensive voice work on numerous animated series and films including The Ren & Stimpy Show, The Proud Family, Robot Chicken, and Bratz. She also hosted three seasons of the Daytime Emmy-winning series Home Made Simple for Oprah Winfrey’s OWN network and was an ongoing contributor for Today. Additionally, she has written two books, Happy Chaos and Let’s Get This Party Started. Frye recently wrapped production of Heirlooms, a crime comedy co-starring Shelley Long and Luke Wilson.

Headed by Dawn Olmstead, NBCUniversal-owned UCP is behind Amazon’s Homecoming, Netflix’s The Umbrella Academy, Hulu’s The Act, USA’s Mr. Robot, Dirty John, The Purge & The Sinner, Syfy’s The Magicians, and YouTube Originals’ Impulse, among others. The studio’s development slate also include Chucky for Syfy, Public Figures for Quibi, and an adaptation of the popular podcast Dr. Death.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    YUUUUUUUUSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!

https://www.comingsoon.net/tv/news/1...op-tv-season-4
    Pop TV, now fully owned by CBS Corporation, has announced that the critically-acclaimed series One Day At a Time will continue with a new 13-episode fourth season premiering in 2020...the fourth season of One Day At a Time will air exclusively on Pop.
    I'm a bit late in catching up on this, but I'm interested in the overall issue: does this mean that Netflix is loosening the leash on its policy of preventing its cancelled series from similarly migrating to other networks or providers? While I don't watch ODAAT (looks like a pretty strong cast, so probably a strong show), I think it's a great thing when content that is appreciated is able to extend its life.

Country
    Country Flag

Do you folks like Stranger Things? I bet you do! While not exactly the same, I think Amazon will definitely be going for the same feel with Paper Girls which is an awesome comic:

https://deadline.com/2019/07/paper-g...om-1202644995/
    In a competitive situation, Amazon Studios has landed Paper Girls, a drama based on Brian K. Vaughan’s best-selling graphic novel. The project, which has received a series commitment, hails from Legendary Television and Plan B (12 Years A Slave, Moonlight).

Toy Story 4 co-writer Stephany Folsom will pen the adaptation of the graphic novel, created by Vaughan and co-created by Cliff Chiang. She will executive produce with Vaughan and Plan B.

Paper Girls marks the first project under Vaughan’s multi-year overall deal with Legendary Entertainment. It also expands Folsom’s relationship with Amazon Studios where she currently serves as a Consulting Producer on the anticipated The Lord of the Rings series.

The series follows four young girls who, while out delivering papers on the morning after Halloween in 1988, become unwittingly caught in a conflict between warring factions of time-travelers, sending them on an adventure through time that will save the world. As they travel between our present, the past, and the future — they encounter future versions of themselves and now must choose to embrace or reject their fate. An emotional adventure in which the girls and the women they eventually become are tough, their friendships are authentic, and their journey through time is epic.

Vaughan is a bestselling writer and co-creator of several acclaimed, award-winning comics and graphic novels, including the Hugo Award-winning Saga, with artist Fiona Staples, as well as Ex Machina, with artist Tony Harris, Barrier, with artist Marcos Martin, and We Stand on Guard with artist Steve Skroce.

In TV, Vaughan serves as an executive producer of the adaptation of FX drama series Y: The Last Man starring Diane Lane, and as an executive consultant of Hulu’s Runaways, currently in its second season, which also is based on a comic by him. Vaughan is repped by Verve and Ziffren Brittenham.

Folsom most recently wrote the screenplay for Pixar’s newly released Toy Story 4. She is repped by Verve, Kaplan/Perrone and Gregg Gellman at Morris Yorn.

Legendary TV’s series slate includes Lost In Space for Netflix; the upcoming Carnival Row for Amazon; and the recently announced Dune: The Sisterhood for WarnerMedia’s new streaming service HBO Max.

Country
    Country Flag

Oh this is exciting! HBO will finally begin streaming From the Earth to the Moon (1998), one of the best miniseries ever made! I remember I had a presentation in high school on the Moon landing episode. It's been restored in HD and is coming out on Blu-ray too:

http://www.collectspace.com/news/new...-remaster.html
    HBO is once again launching its viewers "From the Earth to the Moon."

To celebrate the 50th anniversary of the first lunar landing in July, the network is presenting an encore of its Emmy-winning 1998 miniseries that chronicled NASA's Apollo moon missions. All 12 hour-long episodes have been digitally remastered to be in high definition.

"To celebrate the [Apollo 11] anniversary, the standard definition visual effects have been replaced with brand-new CG [computer graphic] effects that are based on reference models from NASA," HBO announced on Tuesday (June 25).

On July 15, all 12 digitally-remastered episodes will be available to watch on HBO Go, HBO Now and HBO On Demand. Then, on July 20 — the 50th anniversary of the first moon landing — HBO2 will air a marathon of the complete series, starting at 8:45 a.m. (ET/PT).

HBO is also releasing "From the Earth to the Moon" on Blu-ray on July 16, with remixed audio in Dolby ATMOS and an "Inside the Remastering" featurette, which provides a behind-the-scenes look at the "decision-making process and work put into updating and replacing the previous CG effects."

Co-produced by Tom Hanks, Brian Grazer, Ron Howard and Michael Bostick, the same team behind the 1995 feature film "Apollo 13," HBO's "From the Earth to the Moon" follows the early years of the U.S. space program through the six missions that landed 12 Americans on the moon.

With a budget of $65 million, "From the Earth to the Moon" took over two sound stages at Disney-MGM Studios (today, Disney's Hollywood Studios) in Orlando, Florida and was filmed at NASA's Kennedy Space Center at Cape Canaveral and Edwards Air Force Base in California, among more than 100 other locations.

"NASA allowed production access to many areas and buildings at the Kennedy Space Center that were actually used during the space program, including the launch pads, the vehicle assembly building, astronaut corridors, NASA medical offices and Mercury Command Center (Mercury Mission Control)," said HBO.

Each episode begins with an introduction by Hanks and features a crew of well-known actors, including Adam Baldwin, Bryan Cranston, Tim Daly, Cary Elwes, Sally Field, Dave Foley, Al Franken, Tony Goldwyn, Mark Harmon, Elizabeth Perkins, Kevin Pollak, Stephen Root, Alan Ruck, Peter Scolari and Rita Wilson.

The miniseries' directors and writers included David Frankel, Graham Yost, Frank Marshall and the late Al Reinert.

"From the Earth to the Moon" was based on Andrew Chaikin's 1994 book, "A Man on the Moon: The Voyages of the Apollo Astronauts." Apollo 15 moonwalker David Scott served as consultant.
    https://www.vox.com/culture/2019/7/5...llo-miniseries
    It’s easy to forget now that it’s a titan of entertainment, but HBO’s ascent was as disruptive in its day to broadcast television as Netflix’s has been now.

What had started out as a network devoted simply to giving subscribers a chance to watch Hollywood movies slowly began offering its own programming. At first, those programs were junk, like the 1984-91 comedy 1st & 10, notable now for featuring O.J. Simpson as a football player for the fictional California Bulls.

But in the ’90s, HBO started to turn a corner. Its showbiz satire The Larry Sanders Show (1992-98) garnered considerable Emmy attention, and its made-for-TV movies regularly became awards magnets, with even a few film critics praising them as good enough for the multiplexes. (This was a much bigger deal in the ’90s.)

It wasn’t until 1998, however, when HBO broke out in a huge way. Its summer programming that year included the first season of Sex and the City and the second season of Oz (which more critics embraced in that second year). And just before that, in the spring, the network aired its then-biggest show ever: the Tom Hanks and Ron Howard-produced miniseries From the Earth to the Moon.

And now, in honor of the 50th anniversary of Apollo 11 landing on the Moon, HBO has made a newly remastered edition of all 12 hours of the series available to watch again, as a reminder of why these half-century old events inspire us and create wonder to this day.

From the Earth to the Moon arose out of Hanks and Howard’s desire to examine the Apollo program in greater detail, after the mega-success of their 1995 movie Apollo 13 (starring Hanks and directed by Howard). The miniseries format, they thought, would give Hanks a chance to also flex his directing and writing muscles. (He would direct the premiere and co-write three separate episodes.)

What’s interesting about From the Earth to the Moon is how different it is from almost any miniseries that would be made today. Yes, certain actors recur as certain characters. But the series is, by and large, defined by how every episode focuses on the story of Apollo from a completely new perspective.

Take, for instance, the second hour (probably the best installment of the series), which is scripted by the wonderful TV writer Graham Yost and directed by longtime TV hand David Frankel. Its subject is putatively the Apollo 1 disaster, in which three astronauts burned to death in their capsule before the rocket had even launched.

But rather than portray this tragedy as a visceral, gory horror, Yost and Frankel look away from it, choosing to instead depict the government inquiry into what happened. It’s not a disaster movie; it’s a mystery. And by making that shift, events we might have already known about become fresh and new to us.

The notion of changing a story we already know by shifting perspective comes up again and again throughout the miniseries. One episode is told from the point of view of the astronauts’ wives (and directed by Sally Field!). Another retells the events of the near disaster of Apollo 13, but entirely from the point of view of ground control, as the scientists there try frantically to solve the problem.

The finale intersperses the story of Apollo 17 — to date the most recent mission to the moon — with the production of French director Georges Melies’s groundbreaking 1903 short film, A Trip to the Moon (a breakthrough in cinematic special effects and partially inspired by the Jules Verne novel From the Earth to the Moon, which also gave the HBO miniseries its title).

Some of these ideas work better than others — the stuff set in 1903 is a little precious — but the scope of From the Earth to the Moon is what I always come away with from the program once I’m done watching. Most miniseries would have focused entirely on the astronauts, on the missions, on the ground crew. This miniseries tries to be about all of that and as many other things as it can possibly think of. It could feel scattered, but it, instead, feels powerful and nuanced.

History is often presented to us in fictional narratives as one account of what happened. One of the great things about television is how it can complicate that narrative, branching out from the official story to tell others lurking around that story’s edges. From the Earth to the Moon doesn’t just bring Apollo to life; it brings a whole complicated world around the program to life, too. It’s a pity more miniseries haven’t tried to do the same for other major historical events.

From the Earth to the Moon will once again be available to stream on HBO Go and HBO Now on July 15. You could also buy a DVD or Blu Ray of it if you really wanted to. Physical media! It won’t be randomly stripped from your favorite streaming site at a moment’s notice!

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Who remembers Dream On?

Country
    Country Flag

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

We're enjoying THE SOCIETY on Netflix. It's like teenaged Under the Dome (novel, not TV series) crossed with Lord of the Flies and the Boulder Free Zone Committee from the stand with a murder mystery tossed in. The first episode didn't convince me, but it definitely improves.

Country
    Country Flag

Country
    Country Flag

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Looks promising!

Country
    Country Flag

Country
    Country Flag

Servant of Gan Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

They are putting the Orville on Hulu? I am getting fed up with stuff I watch going to this streaming crap. I am about ready to just go to an antenna. I could probably get MLB on the computer...
    Looking for FAB8 CD Number 439

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by Lurker View Post
    They are putting the Orville on Hulu? I am getting fed up with stuff I watch going to this streaming crap...
    I really like The Orville...but not enough to subscribe to Hulu.

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post
    We're enjoying THE SOCIETY on Netflix. It's like teenaged Under the Dome (novel, not TV series) crossed with Lord of the Flies and the Boulder Free Zone Committee from the stand with a murder mystery tossed in. The first episode didn't convince me, but it definitely improves.

Yes. I recommend!
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Along the Path of the Beam LizzyDeschain will become famous soon enough LizzyDeschain will become famous soon enough LizzyDeschain's Avatar

My Mood
    Crappy
    Country
    Country Flag

Anyone get around to watching Good Omens?
    I personally thought it was brilliant. Easily confusing if you aren't paying attention and a little cheesy at times, but well written and very cool.
    "Booker, are you afraid of God?"
    "No, but I'm afraid of you."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 137 of 188 FirstFirst ... 37 87 127 135 136 137 138 139 147 187 ... LastLast