Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 188 FirstFirst ... 15 23 24 25 26 27 35 75 125 ... LastLast

Thread: General Television Discussion

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Just finished season 4.

A really great season, imo. What started out as interesting just got better and better as time went on. I definitely loved the Constant, I always love time travel stories (not my favourite time travel ep of anything ever of course, it didn't have a line as awesome as "wibbly wobbly timey wimey",) and I also liked that this season seemed a lot more thought out than the previous three. Which it had to be:
    Spoiler:
    with the 6 of them getting off the island, that could've been a good enough ending for a lot of other series, but the fact that it was established since the ending of season 3 that their lives would get worse and they'd have to go back was definitely a good clear way that the writers weren't jumping the shark just yet.

So yeah. Bit of a slow start, imo, but in the end much faster paced and much more important questions were answered/asked this season, so it's probably one of my favourites so far.
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorDodge View Post
    So yeah. Bit of a slow start, imo, but in the end much faster paced and much more important questions were answered/asked this season, so it's probably one of my favourites so far.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Just to be clear, that doesn't mean that Lost is my favourite show ever! Tbh it's probably not quite in my top 5 yet, either. I think it will really depend on how I find the ending, really. The one thing that put me off watching Lost for years is that it's one of those shows where a lot of things about the show depend way too much on how it ends. But it's been pretty bloody brill so far, i will say that!

- Melike

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Who are you trying to convince, me or you? Because I could care less if it's your favorite show or not.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Pretty much everyone who does think Lost is the greatest show ever. I think the only problem I have with the show is that it's been a bit overhyped. Remember, you're talking to someone who's watched Doctor Who, Life on Mars and Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex! How the hell can they be topped?!

- Melike

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I'm glad you enjoyed it DD! I can't wait to hear your thoughts on the last two seasons.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Country
    Country Flag

Pretty much everyone who does think Lost is the greatest show ever. I think the only problem I have with the show is that it's been a bit overhyped. Remember, you're talking to someone who's watched Doctor Who, Life on Mars and Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex! How the hell can they be topped?!
    Of course, LOST has been over-hyped, much like just about any show out there now; it's a huge marketing ploy. If it brings in viewers due to curiosity, they're doing their job. Hopefully it doesn't impair your enjoyment of the show though. I've had experiences where over-hype certainly does do just that.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Oh, I know that under hyping a show is even more likely for it get no viewers at all than over hyping it. And with networks needing constant good ratings for a show to continue, then hype is completely necessary, especially for a story based focussed series like Lost! It's one of a few things I hate about US tv: too many shows either get cancelled before their story gets a chance to be fully told because it doesn't get enough viewers, or it gets told for too long because the show becomes too successful and the original writers lose all control of it!

I think the best thing about season 4 is that, at the considerably shortened length, I think Lost was allowed to flow much better than the first 3 seasons. Take season 1, for example: began brilliantly, with a lot of mystery, great character stories and hints of a bigger story arc going on. However, and this is the reason why it's not my favourite show, was that over half the entire season was
    Spoiler:
    spent trying to open that sodding hatch!
    That wouldn't have been so bad, if "half" didn't count as 12 episodes! That's almost a full season of Doctor Who! I'm glad I didn't watch it when it was on, or I would've been really pissed off at the cliffhanger: not with it being shocking or awesome like the other end of season cliffhangers, but more because it left a reaction of, "That's it?!?" Now maybe it's just my British taste being used to shorter series, but one of the reasons why season 4 is one of my favourites is that at 14 episodes, it isn't dragged out, it isn't rushed either, it carefully unfolds at the pace the writers decide, not the network. I truly believe the first 3 seasons could've benefited from a shorter length as well.

Going back to my original point about hype, maybe I'm a hypocrite, considering whenever a new series of Doctor Who begins - no, make that at least one or two months beforehand - it always gets hugely hyped up. Seriously, it's ridiculously big over here. Although maybe you don't have as much hype for it over in the US: ever seen a trailer for Doctor Who at the cinema, Ricky?

- Melike

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I love all those cliffhangers
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I'm a fan of cliffhangers too, Heather: one of the biggest reasons I became a Who fan in the first place was that it was nearly all serials! Brilliant!

But with the new series, even though there's fewer of them, definitely has the better cliffhangers! Especially the end of Utopia, which was a 7 minute long cliffhanger! When I first saw it and knew I had to wait a week to find out what happened next I was like, "What?!? Nooooooooooooooo!" That's just good television!

- Melike

Country
    Country Flag

I think the best thing about season 4 is that, at the considerably shortened length, I think Lost was allowed to flow much better than the first 3 seasons. Take season 1, for example: began brilliantly, with a lot of mystery, great character stories and hints of a bigger story arc going on.

Now maybe it's just my British taste being used to shorter series, but one of the reasons why season 4 is one of my favourites is that at 14 episodes, it isn't dragged out, it isn't rushed either, it carefully unfolds at the pace the writers decide, not the network. I truly believe the first 3 seasons could've benefited from a shorter length as well.
    That's why season 4 is one of my favorites. Short season, but fast-paced and action packed. So many good mysteries and character/plot arcs (plus one of the greatest finales ever!). Though I do love the longer seasons of LOST as well, I think the writer's strike definitely helped to move things along and get rid of all the "filler" that might've been added had there been more pre-production time.

Although maybe you don't have as much hype for it over in the US: ever seen a trailer for Doctor Who at the cinema, Ricky?
    Actually, no, I've never seen a promo for Dr. Who on TV or at the movies. I suppose that's because it's not too popular in the US. In fact, I didn't hear of it until about a year ago. I guess that since it's a UK-based show, it would get more hype than in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    I love all those cliffhangers
    Me too!
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Although the show doesn't have as many fans in the US as there are in the UK, they certainly aren't a small number. Especially over the past year, where BBCAmerica have really been promoting the series. It's a show that gets the highest ratings for the channel at over a million viewers, which isn't saying much considering that it's a cable channel, but it's still impressive for BBCAmerica.

It also surprises me just how devoted the american fans are: look at what happened when the first episode of series 5 premiered in New York this year. Seriously, watch it, you'll be surprised. I know I was!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rMdppMXqYM&feature=related"]YouTube- BBC America Doctor Who Series 5 - Doctor Who Hits the Big Apple![/ame]

- Melike

Country
    Country Flag

Hmm...that is quite a lot of people. But still, I never heard of that event when it was going on, nor did I see coverage or advertisements for it.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Exactly, so without much advertising or hardly any promotion whatsoever, you have to admit that the only reason there's so many people there is because the show has got to be really good. Just saying!

- Melike

Country
    Country Flag

Probably so. Kind of like Stephen King signings. The only people that know about them (for the most part) are those actively searching and keeping an eye out for them.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Goldmember ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I decided to give Tom Baker as The Doctor another go. The last time I tried to watch him was around 1976ish and at the time I couldn't get past the silly man in the phone booth running from the trash cans (Daleks).

Fast forward to a few years ago and Christopher Eccleston, David Tennant and now Matt Smith whom I all LOVE. Now I understand the story of the Tardis, time lords and yes the Daleks.

So I found City of Death on Netflix and watched it. Overall I have to give it and Tom Baker a 4 out of 5. Even though the old Doctor Who seemed to have a more soap opera like quality about it, it was quite enjoyable!

Guess I'll have to check out all the other Doctors now.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Very good point. Of course, with Doctor Who being one of, if not the biggest show in the UK, it's pretty easy to look for anything major Who related. Hell, the promotion of it over here is near non-stop. I remember going to see Cloverfield mostly for the fact that a Doctor Who trailer for series 4 was gonna be shown before it! And mate, you cannot begin to imagine how awesome that was! Beginning quietly enough, before launching into booming music, seeing tons of planets, aliens and mega dramatic moments on the big screen! I'll be honest, even though it was only about a minute and a half, it was so awesome to see what Doctor Who would be like on the big screen! Even more awesome than Cloverfield!

- Melike

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by ICry4Oy View Post
    I decided to give Tom Baker as The Doctor another go. The last time I tried to watch him was around 1976ish and at the time I couldn't get past the silly man in the phone booth running from the trash cans (Daleks).

Fast forward to a few years ago and Christopher Eccleston, David Tennant and now Matt Smith whom I all LOVE. Now I understand the story of the Tardis, time lords and yes the Daleks.

So I found City of Death on Netflix and watched it. Overall I have to give it and Tom Baker a 4 out of 5. Even though the old Doctor Who seemed to have a more soap opera like quality about it, it was quite enjoyable!

Guess I'll have to check out all the other Doctors now.
    I'll be honest with ya ICry4Oy, City of Death is probably one of my favourite stories ever, so I'm not sure what you'll make of the rest of the series. Still, at least you gave Baker another chance. Also good to know you love Matt Smith and have not sided with too many die hard Tennant fans who've decided to give up on the show just because he's not in it!

Btw, a few favourites of mine, in no particular order whatsoever: Genesis of the Daleks, The Deadly Assassin (seriously, that's what they called it! ) The Talons of Weng Chiang, The Caves of Androzani. That's just a few, just so you don't pick a more laughable story by mistake and get put off for life. And considering how cheap the BBC were back in those days, there's quite a few stories that are shockingly cheap even by Who's standards out there to avoid!

- Melike

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Just to be clear, that doesn't mean that Lost is my favourite show ever! Tbh it's probably not quite in my top 5 yet, either. I think it will really depend on how I find the ending, really. The one thing that put me off watching Lost for years is that it's one of those shows where a lot of things about the show depend way too much on how it ends. But it's been pretty bloody brill so far, i will say that!
    someetimes, i think i helps to have the natural gap when a show is being shown live. This way instead of being gorged on 3 or 4 episodes you have the week to reflect on the episode and have the thrill of waiting a week for the next episode. I am not taking anything away from Box sets, i think they are the best invention ever.

But i watched season 2 and 3 of Lost on Box set and because i didnt give each episode the time it needed, i felt i did i a dis-service. Its not just with Lost that i have done this, i also did it with Torchwood, Children of the Earth. Its a natural re action to watch them all at once, but sometimes i think you take something away by gorging

just my opinion

Citizen of Gilead Empath of the White is on a distinguished road Empath of the White's Avatar

Does anyone else here watch Hell's Kitchen? That show is a guilty pleasure for me. I really wonder how Ramsay can keep at it season after season. His standards combined with the chefs they bring in look like one big stress overload.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by candy View Post
    someetimes, i think i helps to have the natural gap when a show is being shown live. This way instead of being gorged on 3 or 4 episodes you have the week to reflect on the episode and have the thrill of waiting a week for the next episode. I am not taking anything away from Box sets, i think they are the best invention ever.

But i watched season 2 and 3 of Lost on Box set and because i didnt give each episode the time it needed, i felt i did i a dis-service. Its not just with Lost that i have done this, i also did it with Torchwood, Children of the Earth. Its a natural re action to watch them all at once, but sometimes i think you take something away by gorging

just my opinion
    A gap can certainly help appreciate a show a little bit more, and the anticipation of the next episode is after all one of the biggest reasons why I tune into Doctor Who week after week. But to be honest, I don't think I've taken that much from Lost by gorging on the box sets. I've watched both seasons of Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex in box set form, and honestly I still think it's superior to Lost. Great characters, great mix of stand alone character stories and mega complex arcs, and feeling much more satisfied after watching a mega complicated 25 minute ep of GITC: SAC than after watching a 40 minute ep of Lost, these are only a few of the factors to why it's one of my favourite shows. That, and the kickarse constant action thrown in is a nice bonus! It's been several years since the 2nd season, but I do hope a 3rd season does get made.

- Melike

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Empath of the White View Post
    Does anyone else here watch Hell's Kitchen? That show is a guilty pleasure for me. I really wonder how Ramsay can keep at it season after season. His standards combined with the chefs they bring in look like one big stress overload.
    Obscene amounts of cash are a guaranteed cure for stress.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Goldmember ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Also good to know you love Matt Smith and have not sided with too many die hard Tennant fans who've decided to give up on the show just because he's not in it!
    Wow! Hard to believe that some people would do that. For me, the Doctor is much bigger than any one actor.

Smith is superb. Although I do have to admit that sometimes I have to put the closed-caption on to understand him.

Bowties are cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Empath of the White View Post

I've never watched it but just from the commercials I can't understand how Ramsay hasn't been stabbed in the face yet.

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

I caught an episode of the american version, so not impressed

Much prefer my Uk masterchef (and the australian one was fan bloody tastic)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 188 FirstFirst ... 15 23 24 25 26 27 35 75 125 ... LastLast