Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rosemary's Baby

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Rosemary's Baby

Ok guys, I finally got around to reading this after weeks of putting it to one side due to RL getting in the way.

When I finally bought the book, i was quite surprised at how slim it was, for some reason I was expecting a huge book. Anyhoo........

So what did we all think of Rosemary, her baby and her husband? Did the book belong in the horror/supernatural part of the book store or would you say its more of a thriller?

I am aware that this book was written a while ago, so I did not dwell on how 'weak' Rosemary was in regards to her husband and friends. However Guy did come across as very abusive to her even before the whole 'sex while you sleep' business. At one point in the book when she disagrees with him on a certain point he 'yanks' her hair!

On the whole I thought the book did a very good job of keeping the suspense as to whether the satanic goings on where real or whether they were in Rosemary's head, its only in the last chapter that we learn that actually its all been true. (whereas I believe this is not so in the film, although I have not seen the film so luckily I did not have this to compare with)

Let me know your thoughts

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

can someone summon Brice? I know he wanted to discuss this

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I am planning to participate as soon as I am back (October 16). I want to write a comparison of the book and the film. Judging by the current level of activity here, you won't move too far by that time; I hope there will be some discussion, though.

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

I dont think there is too much interest in the Book club Jean, hence the reason I just kinda left it

Country
    Country Flag

no, don't worry, it's always been like this - waning and waxing, or whatever the correct phrase is. Everything is going to be all right.

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

"Everything always is when you'r in the world. '

The answer is within

all matter is energy, all energy is GOD

Country
    Country Flag

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

I havent found a copy of the book yet, but I will add my thoughts soon. I have always liked the book club. At least 3 of the books we have read have been my nominations. I hope that we can eventually find more members with interest in this club.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I remember I couldn't stop reading it and ended up reading it in one night. I. personally, bought into the "Satanic" angle almost immediately so to me it was horror all the way. The most disturbing thing (more so I guess at the time it was released) was that after all she went through, all she could "see" and all she knew, she still cared for the Baby.

At the time, I think that was the most controversial aspect of the book. At least that I can recall from so many years ago.

28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Goldmember mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Cool another book for me to look for and read. Will discuss this further when I have found and read it.

Does whatever a spiderman does.

Demon of the Prim blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne's Avatar

My Mood
    Sad
    Country
    Country Flag

It has been a long time but I definitely remember it being very scary, so right now I am saying horror, but maybe that will change with a re-read at my age now. I will be picking up a copy tomorrow. I am looking forward to this discussion.

"Head Clear. Mouth shut. See Much. Say little." Roland Deschain

"Go your way, I'll take the long way 'round. Ill find my own way down, as I should." Ben Howard

Country
    Country Flag

as I promised, I have done an analysis of the differences between the book and the movie, posted it here. Sorry it looks quite a dissertation; I just wanted it to be as exhaustive as possible [for bears at the moment].

I dearly hope:

1. Brice will have a look, since it was mainly written as an answer to his question;

2. There'll be some discussion about Levin's novel here in The Book Club. It has been inactive for almost a year by now.

+ Reply to Thread