Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 58 of 567 FirstFirst ... 8 48 56 57 58 59 60 68 108 158 558 ... LastLast
Results 1,426 to 1,450 of 14170

Thread: Stephen King Collecting Questions

Gunslinger Apprentice wahlers will become famous soon enough

Thank you for the replies.

So, as far as the Stephen King Library books go, were the faux red leather editions the earliest ones and then the regular books (just without prices on the dust jackets) the later editions?

I've never really gotten much information about the way the SK Library worked.

Thanks,
    Wahlers

Servant of Gan e_taylor will become famous soon enough e_taylor's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by wahlers View Post
    Thank you for the replies.

So, as far as the Stephen King Library books go, were the faux red leather editions the earliest ones and then the regular books (just without prices on the dust jackets) the later editions?

I've never really gotten much information about the way the SK Library worked.

Thanks,
    Wahlers
    Not 100% on that. I know the first book to use 1st ed text blocks as opposed to later printing or book club edition text blocks was "Nightmares and Dreamscapes" (in regards to the red leather titles). So I assume the ones with unpriced jackets came first, ending in '93 - but I don't know that as fact.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by e_taylor View Post
    ... Let me put it this way: if I were looking for a copy, I wouldn't hesitate to pay $300 for one.
    I agree wholeheartedly.

Citizen of Gilead sleeplessdwarf is on a distinguished road sleeplessdwarf's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

In my Needful Things proof, someone used a pencil to write $150 then reduced it to $75 on the opening page. Why would anyone do this? My thinking of proofs were that the worth was much more about the person willing to buy it. The guy I bought from seems to be a pretty good collector based on his other items so I am thinking it was done before him. I just do not understand the purpose of listing a price there. Any ideas? Would it be really bad if I erased that?

Gunslinger Apprentice Earth's Militant Mind is on a distinguished road Earth's Militant Mind's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I'm looking for some help and I'm prepared to be perfectly honest.

The item below sold for $35.00 at auction to one of our new members. There was some discussion about weather or not it is a "not as collectible" BOTM edition. The shovel on the front is not cut out.

I really need an answer to this question as it's against my grain to sell something at auction WAY above it's worth. People have got some great deals out there this year but I'm not looking to move anything that isn't worth the money paid.

dyetye, if you read this. Hold tight, we'll work something out on this edition

This "is" a book of the month edition but a gift edition as well it is rare that a BotM is printed this way but this one is in fact. I brought my copy for $12 on e-bay which is the going rate but I agree it's for charity and he should just write it off as such. You should also know what you are bidding on this would not be an issue on e-bay really.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Thank you--the buyer and I made a nice concession and Haven ended up with the entire amount.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by sleeplessdwarf View Post
    In my Needful Things proof, someone used a pencil to write $150 then reduced it to $75 on the opening page. Why would anyone do this? My thinking of proofs were that the worth was much more about the person willing to buy it. The guy I bought from seems to be a pretty good collector based on his other items so I am thinking it was done before him. I just do not understand the purpose of listing a price there. Any ideas? Would it be really bad if I erased that?
    If you bought the proof from a collector and not a dealer, he probably purchased it from a dealer. Whichever, the dealer probably lowered the price to $75. A large number of used book dealers do this.

According to my records, about 2500 of the US Needful Things proofs were produced, which doesn't make it a scarcity. Given the general decline in prices, I can understand this reduction.

I personally would NOT erase it, mainly because I'd worry about damaging the book, even though it's in pencil. I'm sure there are other opinions on this, though.

John

Citizen of Gilead sleeplessdwarf is on a distinguished road sleeplessdwarf's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

This sounds good to me. I will leave the price as is. I am just glad to have it.

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post

I personally would NOT erase it, mainly because I'd worry about damaging the book, even though it's in pencil. I'm sure there are other opinions on this, though.
    I erase most all pencil notations and prices in my books. You can buy good quality non-abrasive erasers at any office supply store. I've never damaged a book with one. I wouldn't use an eraser on the end of a pencil though. Those can do more harm than good.

Gunslinger Apprentice batsker will become famous soon enough

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by sleeplessdwarf View Post
    Thanks e taylor. It will be the only S/L I have atm if I manage to win the auction. 300 was the amount I/wife was willing to spend for my bday so I am happy if I win. I just wanted to get an idea of what others thought, and I started with Jerome since he was part of the talks when I first mentioned Carrie.
    I think that is a pretty decent price. Did you get it? I thought about bidding, but now am glad I didn't as it went to a good home @ a good price.

Steve
    "Bist du so feige, dass du Angst hast vor der Finsternis zwischen zwei Laternen? Willst du nur Laternen haben? Komm, Beckmann, weiter, bis zur nächsten Laterne". - Draussen vor der Tür - Borchert

Country
    Country Flag

Yes batsker, I got it. I should have it by Monday. I am so glad you did not bid. I put in the 299 bid about 24 hours before auction end. I told myself that if I was outbid, then there were a couple other things I would do with the money and I would not bid any higher. I am glad my resolve was not tested. Who knows what could have happened. You can rest assured that it will be in a good home though.

Gunslinger Apprentice F1racefan is on a distinguished road F1racefan's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Viking HB 2003 DT Re-issue question

I have a copy of the Viking re-issue of DT1 and DTIV that do not have prices listed inside the dust jackets. Did they issue book club editions of the Viking re-issues? The books do have number lines on the CP page. One shows 1st printing and the other is a 5th. I did not think book club printings had number lines on the CP page. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Hi F1racefan, glad you made it over here. I still have no idea on this one. Anyone?

John

Country
    Country Flag

I don't really have an answer. But I do know that in recent years, book club editions don't always state so on the dust jacket.

With no price on the jacket, its either an export copy (possible in this case as there are no UK hardcovers for books 1-4) or a book club edition (perhaps being a reprint they just used unsold stock with new jackets as opposed to a separate printing).

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I'd have to agree with e_taylor. According to the Catalog the Viking DTI has the following points:

State: Trade Hardback First Edition. Issue price $25.00
    Comments: Fully bound in black cloth with silver lettering, featuring illustrated endpapers and pastedowns. Revised and expanded throughout with a new introduction and foreword by King. New cover art by Whelan. Print run 60,000 copies. Copyright page states:

First published in 2003 by Viking Penguin, a member of Penguin Books (USA) Inc.

1 3 5 7 9 10 8 6 4 2

Gunslinger Apprentice F1racefan is on a distinguished road F1racefan's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    I'd have to agree with e_taylor. According to the Catalog the Viking DTI has the following points:

State: Trade Hardback First Edition. Issue price $25.00
    Comments: Fully bound in black cloth with silver lettering, featuring illustrated endpapers and pastedowns. Revised and expanded throughout with a new introduction and foreword by King. New cover art by Whelan. Print run 60,000 copies. Copyright page states:

First published in 2003 by Viking Penguin, a member of Penguin Books (USA) Inc.

1 3 5 7 9 10 8 6 4 2
    Thanks for the responses.

Mine has all as stated above except the price and the number line is
    5 7 9 10 8 6

So I guess it would be worthless to a collector.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by F1racefan View Post

Thanks for the responses.

Mine has all as stated above except the price and the number line is
    5 7 9 10 8 6

So I guess it would be worthless to a collector.
    Not worthless, just worth less. It would make a good reading copy, and I am sure it looks nice on the shelf.

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Friends... Just wondering what a Gunslinger 2nd is going for in the fair market right now?

( yeah, I'm thinking of using my tax refund )
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by turtlex View Post
    Friends... Just wondering what a Gunslinger 2nd is going for in the fair market right now?

( yeah, I'm thinking of using my tax refund )
    The days of $400 are long gone, thats for sure. I would imagine that you could find one in the $150 - $200 range.

My Mood
    Gay

Thanks, Eric. Much appreciated ! I need to know some kind of guideline before I go searching !

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks, Eric. Much appreciated ! I need to know some kind of guideline before I go searching !
    Another route to go (this is what I did) is to buy a new 2nd ed dust jacket ( http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Book...6x%3D0%26y%3D0 ) and then wait for a fine copy that has a price clipped dust jacket, or no jacket, which will sell for much less.

At a time when they were selling for $300- $35o I managed to get a fine/fine copy for about $175 this way.

My Mood
    Gay

That's a great idea, Eric! Thank you! It never would have occured to me.

Country
    Country Flag

That's a great idea, Eric! Thank you! It never would have occured to me.
    No problem Pam. PM me when you track a copy down - I've got an extra slipcase with your name on it.

My Mood
    Gay

Woowhoo... Will do! Thankee, big-big !

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Good luck, Pam.

Does anyone know of an aftermarket slipcase or traycase for the DOLAN'S CADILLAC S/L? I recently obtained one of the 1000 limitation copies (as issued without a case).

Thank you for any info you can provide.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 58 of 567 FirstFirst ... 8 48 56 57 58 59 60 68 108 158 558 ... LastLast