Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 564 of 567 FirstFirst ... 64 464 514 554 562 563 564 565 566 ... LastLast
Results 14,076 to 14,100 of 14171

Thread: Stephen King Collecting Questions

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Do we know why such a low print?
    The number of libraries in the UK back then?
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

King was an unknown in the USA, and even more so in the UK.

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by herbertwest View Post
    The catalog says that Carrie UK first has a printrun of less than 1k copies
    I recently read that it was only 600 copies that mostly went to libraries : can someone confirm?

Thanks
    600 yes
    Do you have a definitive source for that Kris? I would be happy to update the catalog if so.
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by stroppygoblin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    The catalog says that Carrie UK first has a printrun of less than 1k copies
    I recently read that it was only 600 copies that mostly went to libraries : can someone confirm?

Thanks
    600 yes
    Do you have a definitive source for that Kris? I would be happy to update the catalog if so.
    No, this is the consensus I have always been told and that a good portion of them went to libraries.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

So that goes back to my original question

Anybody got or know of any concrete sourced information?
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Gunslinger Apprentice Curly has a spectacular aura about Curly has a spectacular aura about

So that goes back to my original question

Anybody got or know of any concrete sourced information?
    It can't be 600. UK publishers of hardbacks use multiples of 500.

Country
    Country Flag

Do we know where the number "lower than 1,000 copies" comes from?

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Do we know where the number "lower than 1,000 copies" comes from?
    Most sources will state "between 600 and 1000" which almost certainly comes from an entry in our own catalog by Neo Trinity (Gerald Winters) - "On a personal note, while I have been searching unsuccessfully for years for concrete evidence of the actual U.K. print run of “Carrie”, the generally accepted belief is somewhere between 600 and 1000 copies. Personally, I don’t believe the number to be this high. From speaking with many collectors, book dealers and auction houses in the U.K., the NEL First Edition of “Carrie” has become an allusive copy to obtain, and very rarely appears. On the other hand, the Doubleday edition is very easy to find through many different avenues. The fact that Stephen was basically an unknown writer in 1973, I find the treatment that they awarded his first novel to be very supportive, with an original dust jacket design, as opposed to a standard bold typeface design that was common at the time."

As Gerald stated, this is a rare book, and infrequently comes up for sale. I doubt if an accurate number will ever be truly known.

It might be interesting to do a poll, to see who here on the site actually has a copy in their collection.
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

Me got one.
    Ain't she cute?

I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

Citizen of Gilead Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of

That is not so much cute as absolutely gorgeous.
    Beautiful Steve.

Totally agree with Simon’s comment reference the alleged number of UK Carrie 1st editions. I doubt if an accurate total will be found. Personally I think the comment on how few surface, says it all.

Honky Mahfah MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Cool

That's looks great Steve. Congrats on having one.

Did you guess it was me? becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69's Avatar

The First Level of Hell - It's got a great view!
    Country
    Country Flag

Grail!
    Wanted: Human skin edition of The Book of the Dead. Will accept PC copy.

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

It’s one of the few great deals I ever got on a scarce King book. I purchased my copy of the UK Carrie 1st many many years ago in South Africa and only paid a few dollars for it. I found it at a used bookstore. It’s in decent shape. Around that same time I bought the US 1st from a book dealer in the USA. I was still in SA at the time. I can’t remember his name but it was $250 and in pristine unread condition.

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

One of these days if I am absolutely bored I need to dig through my old L.W. Currey catalogs (some of which are pictured on the upper right), and see what I paid for my copies of CARRIE. I'm still fairly certain I paid $55 for the US 1st and $45 for the UK 1st, and they were the first two King books I bought when I decided to start collecting him. I now have 1229 Stephen King books. I am positive that the first L.W. Currey catalog I ever saw was in Howard Devore's garage, where I was buying some books from him, and I asked him what it was. He sure had a lot of mean dogs.

I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

Country
    Country Flag

Never heard of those, but could be interesting.

I remember that, years ago, Bob shared a small info found in an auction catalog : about what was the "After the play" epilogue of "The Shining" that was then lost... until John Page found his manuscript
    Sometimes, very interesting informations are hidden among those

Gunslinger Apprentice jsweet has a spectacular aura about jsweet has a spectacular aura about jsweet has a spectacular aura about

Country
    Country Flag

Trying to find info on this edition of The Gunslinger. Appears to be a rebound of the 2003 Plume trade PB by a company called Amereon House? I've found a few photos of it online, but not really any background. Anybody know the story?

Servant of Gan Roog has a spectacular aura about Roog has a spectacular aura about Roog's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

http://www.roog.nu/stephenking/darkt...ardcover_1.htm

I had this book once, but sold it some years ago. As you said, it's a rebound but I don't have much more info.

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jsweet View Post
    Trying to find info on this edition of The Gunslinger. Appears to be a rebound of the 2003 Plume trade PB by a company called Amereon House? I've found a few photos of it online, but not really any background. Anybody know the story?
    I think there is a thread about this. I'll look for it. I think it was 100 copies of the paperback rebound.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Here is a conversation in a collection thread about it. The first post will have pictures and there is some discussion further down thread.

https://www.thedarktower.org/palaver...=1#post1227975

Roog also has one in his collection.

I said earlier maybe 100, I found what I misquoted and it was, "Probably less than a thousand."

Gunslinger Apprentice jsweet has a spectacular aura about jsweet has a spectacular aura about jsweet has a spectacular aura about

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Br!an View Post
    Here is a conversation in a collection thread about it. The first post will have pictures and there is some discussion further down thread.

I said earlier maybe 100, I found what I misquoted and it was, "Probably less than a thousand."
    Thanks

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jsweet View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Br!an View Post

Thanks
    A fairly rare item, if only a rebound paperback.

There's also a permabound edition of the 1st Plume paperback edition.

Gunslinger Apprentice roopeshjoshi is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by ur2ndbiggestfan View Post
    Me got one.
    Ain't she cute?

Absolutely cute. I really like this cover.

Servant of Gan kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Can someone help me with Glenn Chadbourne contact info for remarques? Thanks.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
    ANYTHING DT Related #246
    Dead Zone First Edition F/F or NF/NF

Country
    Country Flag

+ Reply to Thread
Page 564 of 567 FirstFirst ... 64 464 514 554 562 563 564 565 566 ... LastLast