Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 417 of 567 FirstFirst ... 317 367 407 415 416 417 418 419 427 467 517 ... LastLast
Results 10,401 to 10,425 of 14170

Thread: Stephen King Collecting Questions

Demon of the Prim TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, it's always interesting to find out when you look at those early copies you own and figure out that they're either later printing or BCE. My own example is that I had CLEAR memories of reading the original version of The Stand when I was 14 or 15 which would have been '84 and I'm sure that I would have just appropriated my mom's copy which seemed to have been around forever. After finally looking through what remained of my original collection though, and after finally figuring out the gutter code, I was amazed to find out though that what I had was a 1988ish printing! I must have been reading a library copy for my first 4 or 5 readthroughs. *shakes head* What a malleable thing memory is.
    WANTED
    US 1st Printings. I have THESE
    #92 IT Portfolio (or the #95 IT to swap for the #92 that I have)
    Any #95 SK-related Cemetery Dance Edition
    Any #7 PS Publishing Edition
    Sleeping Beauties: Signed Tour version.

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

I've also seen a first printing dustjacket on a BCE book. The person might have seen the numberline and assumed it was a first. The color of the boards and pastedowns helped sort it out.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Demon of the Prim AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AKC View Post
    How many different types of remarques did Vincent Chong do for the SP Shining Editions?

- Jack with the Croquet Mallet
    - Woman in 217

I thought he did 3 different types for the series of 50. Anybody else have a different type other than the two above?
    Yes. I requested and got a drawing of two hedge lions.
    Damn, I need that one.....have the other two, need to complete the set!

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

How many different types of remarques did Vincent Chong do for the SP Shining Editions?

- Woman in 217

I thought he did 3 different types for the series of 50. Anybody else have a different type other than the two above?
    He's a nice guy. I'm sure he'd draw one for you.

Demon of the Prim AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

- Woman in 217

Quote Originally Posted by Br!an View Post

- Woman in 217

He's a nice guy. I'm sure he'd draw one for you.
    No doubt. Hoping to secure one of the 50 "official" Remarqued copies with the tipped-in page...

Maerlyn's Imp allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte's Avatar

My Mood
    Confused

Quote Originally Posted by AstroDad View Post
    I guess it was the stated First Edition that got me. The copyright page is word for word the same as the Trade copyright page.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Green-Mi...cAAOSwiwVWRl-4
    Here you go. Just popped up!!!
    Words have no power to impress the mind without the exquisite horror of their reality. Edgar Allan Poe

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I was under the impression that a true 1st/1st US trade hardback of IT has dark grey pastedowns and free front endpapers.
    Is there any instance where a true 1st/1st has white pastedowns and FFE?

Goldmember Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

I've only seen IT with dark grey paste downs.

Mulleins
    I'm the caretaker of Room 217..............I've always been the caretaker of Room 217

Country
    Country Flag

My 1sts are dark grey. I don't have a BCE to compare.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Country
    Country Flag

They took it down.

Goldmember Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Oh....I see what Jerome is saying. Interesting indeed!
    I'm the caretaker of Room 217..............I've always been the caretaker of Room 217

Maerlyn's Imp allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte's Avatar

My Mood
    Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Room 217 Caretaker View Post
    Oh....I see what Jerome is saying. Interesting indeed!
    Like many sellers on ebay, how many times are they listing book clubs as first editions? Way more then you can count as I see it way too often.
    Words have no power to impress the mind without the exquisite horror of their reality. Edgar Allan Poe

Servant of Gan firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

I think this signature is real, but I would love a second opinion if anybody is willing? Also, any thoughts on the price? Seems relatively fair, but I'm not sure. Thanks for any help!
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Night-Shift-...IAAOSwf-VWWzRj

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

It's a nice early signature. As a BCE unless your name is "Barbara" it probably is worth just about the asking price. Estimate $200-$250.

Servant of Gan firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    It's a nice early signature. As a BCE unless your name is "Barbara" it probably is worth just about the asking price. Estimate $200-$250.
    Haha, the 'Barbara' is the only thing really holding me back. I think I'd prefer a 'Fluck' inscription.

Citizen of Gilead bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

For 1st editions of The Shining, is there a difference in value between those that have the 'Compliments of Doubleday' stamp, and those that don't? If so, how much?

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I would say there is a price differential. The ones with the Doubleday stamp are probably Advance Reading Copies. These may have been sent out after the proofs were all gone. The ones with the stamp would be interesting to collectors (like me) who are interested in pre-publication items. I have a few of these Advance Reading Copies but not the one for The Shining. Just my opinion, but I think the ones being offered are overpriced. The ones I have are usually about double what the trade retails for. I would put the price for The Shining at about $50-100 more than the equivalent trade edition.

John

Citizen of Gilead bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks John. Appreciate the info.

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Did anyone here (except Gerald) ever consider having slipcases or traycases made for their proofs? I'm not a big fan of aftermarket cases and don't think they are necessary to protect my hardcover books. But proofs are a bit more vulnerable, so...

My US Dead Zone proof came with a custom traycase but I don't think I've seen any others, except Gerald's. Thoughts?

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by biomieg View Post
    Did anyone here (except Gerald) ever consider having slipcases or traycases made for their proofs? I'm not a big fan of aftermarket cases and don't think they are necessary to protect my hardcover books. But proofs are a bit more vulnerable, so...

My US Dead Zone proof came with a custom traycase but I don't think I've seen any others, except Gerald's. Thoughts?
    I think you got your US Dead Zone proof from me. If so, I got it originally from Dawn Treader Bookstore. The owner told me that his mother-in-law had made the traycase. I remember it being a pretty decent job. I usually just put my proofs in a bag and tape them shut. I'm not a big fan of aftermarket slipcases. But, having said that, I did commission Patricia Sargent at Dragonfly Bindery to craft a custom traycase for the long galley proof pages of The Shining. I just didn't know what else to do with them.

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Yes, I have considered slipcases or traycases for my proofs but the only one so far that I've had made was a traycase for the signed Cujo. As you know, I tend to like aftermarket slipcases and traycases. So when funds allow, I may have some made for a few of the signed rarer ones. For now, I just use plastic bags to store them.

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    Yes, I have considered slipcases or traycases for my proofs but the only one so far that I've had made was a traycase for the signed Cujo. As you know, I tend to like aftermarket slipcases and traycases. So when funds allow, I may have some made for a few of the signed rarer ones. For now, I just use plastic bags to store them.
    Of course we are all ridiculously careful with our books but would you worry about the possibility of snagging a corner of the front or back cover of a paperbound proof when sliding it into a slipcase? I think I might. Or do you plan to bag it first and then slide it into the slipcase?

And while we are talking about it I'll just say I absolutely detest the mylar paperback covers that some people put on proofs. I take them off as soon as I can if I get one sent to me with one of those on it.

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Yes I would be concerned with possibly bending a corner when inserting into a slipcase. Although, I don't really have any proofs in slipcases so haven't had to deal with that. If I ever do, yes maybe I will bag it first. Haven't thought much about that. Why don't you like the paperback covers on your proofs?

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I thought the same (about potential damage to the book when sliding it in and out of a slipcase) so I imagine traycases may be a better option. And I don't like those Mylar paperback covers either - I did use them for a while but discarded them after a couple of months. Living in Europe, I'm not sure where to start looking for someone who makes traycases. But I think it might be wise to get a couple, at least for my scarcest proofs.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 417 of 567 FirstFirst ... 317 367 407 415 416 417 418 419 427 467 517 ... LastLast