Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 36 of 567 FirstFirst ... 26 34 35 36 37 38 46 86 136 536 ... LastLast

Thread: Stephen King Collecting Questions

Hankerin' for poundcake gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

And of course Beahm's price guide will be updated and published any day now . . .

This collecting stuff is a sickness! ~Patrick

Rabid Billybumbler Ruthful is on a distinguished road Ruthful's Avatar

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Question For Collectors

I apologize if this is in the wrong forum-I didn't put it in the collectors' forum because it's unrelated to Stephen King-but my friend has a question regarding the value of a rare book she owns and I'd appreciate any advice you could render, which I'll forward to her.

I have a 1945 edition of 'Big Red' by Jim Kjelgaard with the dust jacket. It says book club edition on the inner flap and is Illustrated by Shannon Stirnweis. Anyone have any idea of what it is worth?

Thank you, in advance, and feel free to move this thread if you deem it necessary.

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Off hand, a dollar, maybe two.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

It does look kind of beat-up.

To be honest, I have no idea what this author's popularity was, or how many editions of this particular book were printed. I glanced over at some of asking prices for the book at Alibris, and the sellers there seem to be in agreement that it's not worth much from a collectible standpoint.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

The Collector's question thread is predominately, but not exclusively abut Stephen King.
    I'll move this to the Q&A thread in Calvin's Corner, with a brief rediect.
    I am confident a valuable response will be forthcoming.

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

This is a book club edition that is not in good condition. Additionally, while the book itself was printed in 1945, we don't have a print date for the book club edition. It was the author's most famous novel and one of nearly forty that he wrote. Unless you were to find out that it was a case of a book club jacket on a non-book club book, I stand by my estimate of $1 or $2. This book is still in print in paperback as well.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks for the information, Sam. I'll pass it along.

World Leader Pretend Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Are the Salem's Lot book blocks from Centipede very sought after?
    I bought one from Jerad when he had them up for sale, but never got around to binding it in any way.
    I've been streamlining my book collection down, and it may be one of the items that I sell off. (It came with a set of the photos, which I know always sell very quickly).
    Mark Twain

World Leader Pretend Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Anyone? Thoughts on a price?

If I were to sell the book block, should I include the photo set or sell them on their own?
    I'm undecided at this point, but would like to make a decision by this weekend.

Thanks.
    Mark Twain

Servant of Gan Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed

Is this a true 1st UK edition?. I'm kind of thrown off by the description of the issue price of $11.95

http://cgi.ebay.com/SALEMS-LOT-Steph...QQcmdZViewItem

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Fsmdr View Post
    Is this a true 1st UK edition?. I'm kind of thrown off by the description of the issue price of $11.95

The copyright info is correct for a first edition, but the issue price was £3.95.

The DJ is priceclipped.

Servant of Gan e_taylor will become famous soon enough e_taylor's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Rabbit Trick View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fsmdr View Post

The copyright info is correct for a first edition, but the issue price was £3.95.

The DJ is priceclipped.
    Yah, being price clipped, he may well just have his information wrong.

Were there lots of "export copies" of the NEL releases, as there are with the MacDonald and early Hodder ones? I always stay away from price clipped UK 1sts for that reason (not that I own any price clipped US 1sts either....)

Servant of Gan Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed

Thanks.

That makes sense that the DJ is clipped. Must be another price sticker on the DJ.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Scoogs View Post
    I bought one from Jerad when he had them up for sale, but never got around to binding it in any way.
    I've been streamlining my book collection down, and it may be one of the items that I sell off. (It came with a set of the photos, which I know always sell very quickly).
    At the risk of sounding stupid, what are "book blocks"?
    I perceive a book block to be the support placed underneath a book's pages to prevent "sagging".

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    I perceive a book block to be the support placed underneath a book's pages to prevent "sagging".
    I think he means the text block. Probably a set of unbound pages like Stu bought and bound.... right?

Goldmember Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    You don't sound stupid. It's a great question.

Book Block is the sewn book but no hardcover binding over it. It looks like a ream of paper sewn together but no cover on front or back.

Hope this helps

Mulleins
    Cumberland VA
    Attached Images

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

That's exactly what it is Mulleins, thanks.
    Stu must have purchased several of them from Jerad to create the edition that he offered.

It's kind of an odd, but unique item. If you know a good binder and what to make your own customized version, this would be the way to do it.

I had originally planned to bind it myself (a few friends have taught book binding), but never got around to the project.
    Mark Twain

Demon of the Prim Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

This might be an offensive question to thedarktower.org, but I hope not.

Anyway, does anyone know of any book collecting forums and/or web sites? I post here and over at the Horror Mall, which also has collectors, but I know of no other forums where people gather to talk about collecting books.

Obviously my largest collection is Stephen King, but I collect a lot of genres, and I would like to find a site that is pretty much dedicated for book collectors that covers any genre.
    Geoff

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Demon of the Prim Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks Jerome!
    Geoff

My Mood
    Stressed

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post
    Bernie Wrightson's FRANKENSTEIN (well actually it is Mary Shelley's) has been reissued by Dark Horse. It includes King's introduction as well as all of Wrightson's great illustrations.

Has anyone bought one of these yet? If so, can you comment on the quality, price, etc.? I'm trying to decide whether or not to get one.
    Got myself a copy today. It's quite a nice edition. Cloth binding with embossed tittle. Surprisingly hefty too, considering the original 1st edition is quite slim. Definitely recommended. Amazon has it for $19.77. Well worth the price.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Bernie-Wrightsons-Frankenstein-Wollstonecraft-Shelley/dp/1595822003/ref=sr_11_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1229236868&sr=11-1"]http://www.amazon.com/Bernie-Wrightsons-Frankenstein-Wollstonecraft-Shelley/dp/1595822003/ref=sr_11_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1229236868&sr=11-1[/ame]

Country
    Country Flag

In regards to "New Tales of the Cthulhu Mythos" published by Arkham.

What price should be on the jacket of the 1st printing?

What information should be on the copyright page? (Was there more than one printing?)

Thanks in advance guys!

Hankerin' for poundcake gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

My copy has $11.95 on the dustjacket and "First Edition designed by Jason Van Hollander" on the cp. I'm pretty sure it's a 1st, but we'll let the gurus on here confirm or correct!

This collecting stuff is a sickness! ~Patrick

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by e_taylor View Post

What information should be on the copyright page? (Was there more than one printing?)

Thanks in advance guys!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cthulhu...Cthulhu_Mythos

there were three printings
    Geoff

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by gguthrie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by e_taylor View Post

Thanks in advance guys!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cthulhu...Cthulhu_Mythos

there were three printings
    Is this one like the earlier Arkham House books, where the printing info is on the last page of the book, or is it on the copyright page?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 36 of 567 FirstFirst ... 26 34 35 36 37 38 46 86 136 536 ... LastLast