Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 98 of 567 FirstFirst ... 48 88 96 97 98 99 100 108 148 198 ... LastLast
Results 2,426 to 2,450 of 14171

Thread: Stephen King Collecting Questions

Citizen of Gilead surly is a jewel in the rough surly is a jewel in the rough surly is a jewel in the rough surly is a jewel in the rough surly's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

When the seller asked the reason for the return, I sent him my pics and explained that I was looking for a higher grade.

It still sounds like it will all work out but this was his response:

"Please send it back and we will refund your money.

I believe you are looking for a True Fine dust jacket. The photos
    you have supplied classify the dust jacket as Near Fine. "

Okay class, what I learnded today is: classifications can be highly subjective and make sure you agree on a definition before any money changes hands.
    "When I have a little money, I buy books; and if I have any left, I buy food and clothes."
    Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamus

Not An Addict lophophoras is on a distinguished road lophophoras's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by surly View Post
    When the seller asked the reason for the return, I sent him my pics and explained that I was looking for a higher grade.

It still sounds like it will all work out but this was his response:

"Please send it back and we will refund your money.

I believe you are looking for a True Fine dust jacket. The photos
    you have supplied classify the dust jacket as Near Fine. "

Okay class, what I learnded today is: classifications can be highly subjective and make sure you agree on a definition before any money changes hands.
    Hope it works out for you!

Life is a garden...dig it!

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

Call it Fine, Mint, Near-Fine, whatever...bottom line, the actual description was inaccruate...

It had a variety of small tears to the spine and edges, and a two-inch scratch to the front cover. No major tears or creases, and many flaws will be hidden by a Brodart.

THAT is close to how I would have described it in a listing...I would not have called it 'fine' or whatever. Surly's right, it is subjective...

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Did anyone from OUTISIDE of the US, ordered "The Illustrated Stephen King Companion", from amazon?

When I try to order one, (used or not), it tells me that :

Stephen King Illustrated Companion: Manuscripts, Correspondence, Drawings, and Memorabilia from the Master of Modern Horror cannot be shipped to the selected address.
    This item cannot be shipped to the address you selected. (Learn more.) You may either change the shipping address or remove the item by clicking Delete.

But the link doesnt give any information... I dont see any reason why it cant be shipped overseas...

@Bev : any idea when the new printing will be available? There wont be anything new in the new printing, right?
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

I think the second printing will be available around July, which means you should be able to order it from bn.com. There won't be anything new in the second printing. A handful of small errors were corrected, that's all.

I think that if you try to order it from Amazon, you're actually ordering it from an individual who is selling through Amazon. Individuals often decide not to ship overseas because it takes more time and effort.

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks for the input Bev

About amazon: even the amazon warehouse dont want to send it abroad.
    There are no geographical restrictions on the book right?
    (it s sometimes the case for educational books for instance)
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Gunslinger Apprentice Clacke will become famous soon enough Clacke's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by herbertwest View Post
    Thanks for the input Bev

About amazon: even the amazon warehouse dont want to send it abroad.
    There are no geographical restrictions on the book right?
    (it s sometimes the case for educational books for instance)
    No, there are no geographical restrictions on the book. I ordered two from Barnes & Noble before Christmas and received them here in Ireland with no problems. (Great book, by the way!)

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I ordered my copy through B&N too, and it arrived in The Netherlands shortly thereafter. I didn;t even know Amazon sold the book - are you sure it's not just an individual selling '2nd hand' copies via Amazon?

Country
    Country Flag

I did both... i'll have to wait then...

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I got a copy from B&N website a couple of months ago.
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I don't have my SK Bibliography at hand right now, so I thought I'd ask you guys.

Did Gallery magazine only do SK pull-out booklets for The Jaunt, The Raft, and The Monkey? Or are there more?

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by biomieg View Post
    I don't have my SK Bibliography at hand right now, so I thought I'd ask you guys.

Did Gallery magazine only do SK pull-out booklets for The Jaunt, The Raft, and The Monkey? Or are there more?
    I think those are the only ones with pull-out booklets. Gallery also printed "The Crate" and "The Man Who Loved Flowers" but not as pull-outs.

Thanks for bringing up the topic. I hadn't "pulled-out" my Gallery mags in quite a while. They really had some quality pictorials. Much better than the skanks that graced the pages of Cavalier.

Country
    Country Flag

You're welcome.

I hadn't seen The Jaunt before but I got a copy this morning on eBay. My collector genes dictate that now, I'll have to get The Raft and The Monkey as well (which is okay because The Raft is one of my favorite short stories)!

Citizen of Gilead shnnrc01 is on a distinguished road

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

hey bob,thats not fair about the "cavalier skanks",maybe slutty or crackhead whore would be a nicer term for those slippery slappers!! aaahh, manys a quiet night i spent with those girls under the covers,although i've got an awful itch lately that i just cant shake!!

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Must be the hair on your palms

Number42 Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by herbertwest View Post
    "The Illustrated Stephen King Companion"
    I actually found a copy at Barnes and Noble near my house and I hadn't paid much attention to the thread on the site about it but while I was in the store I took a look at it. I must say, I was incredibly impressed with the book as a whole. I bought a copy that day and it was a really cool experience taking it home and going through it.

If you don't have a copy - get one.

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Today I was talking a closer look at The Lost Work of Stephen King and even when I find that book really interesting, it's funny how out-of-date it is. Things changed A LOT since its publication in 1998. Several of the "Impossible to find" writtings appeared for sale at least once (not to mention some were published finally, like Blaze or Under the Dome (and even the two first parts of The Cannibals)). And even when several of the writings remain impossible to be found in their original publication ("People, places, and things", "I was a teenage grave robber", "King's garbage truck" (Coincidence, Bob? )), photocopies are available of many, so I think hardcore collectors managed to read almost all the "works".

At first sight, the only ones I see that I don't know about photocopies are The Aftermath, The Star Invaders and the complete "Sword in the darkness" (I read only the excerpt present at sk uncollected, unpublished.

Has anyone here was ever able to read any of these?
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Along the Path of the Beam dubrosa22 is on a distinguished road dubrosa22's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Too Much Light For My Books?

Hey guys,

I've just bought a lovely antique bookcase with glass doors (30s-40s art deco style?) and was wondering:

How much daylight is too much in regards to dust-jackets and cloth-spine fading?

All the books are quite deep inside the case and it gets no direct sunlight but there are two large windows on either side of the large room it's in so plenty of light throughout the day reflects into the bookcase giving it 'ambient' lighting.

Will my books fade or become damaged at all?

Thanks!
    “All you need for a movie is a gun and a girl.” - JLG

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Absolutely gorgeous bookcase!
    No direct sunlight, of course, is an absolute must, but I think (indirect) (sun)light in itself does enough damage over the years.
    I used to display my books in my living-room, also without direct sunlight, but moved them to a separate room, where I always keep the curtains closed.
    But, I don't know what I prefer: proudly displaying my collection for everyone to see and admire -in room with sunlight- or displaying it in a dark room for none to see and drool - except for myself.

sk

Along the Path of the Beam dubrosa22 is on a distinguished road dubrosa22's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by frik View Post
    Absolutely gorgeous bookcase!
    sk
    Thanks! I picked it up for a song!
    Quote Originally Posted by frik View Post
    I don't know what I prefer: proudly displaying my collection for everyone to see and admire -in room with sunlight- or displaying it in a dark room for none to see and drool - except for myself.
    sk
    That's precisely my problem for far too long I have hidden my books away in a dark office I never go into so I thought: why not enjoy looking at them in my living room everyday?

During workdays the windows are fully curtained, so I guess it's only weekend sunlight the books may receive (which is ALWAYS brighter!), so I think they may be safe.

Now I worry about the books getting damaged - I just want to enjoy them!
    “All you need for a movie is a gun and a girl.” - JLG

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

No sunlight is good for books, direct or not. The colors in the red spectrum will fade.

It's not only the light you have to worry about. Temperature changes can cause condensation and damage books. This can be the difference in temperature between day and night, or even the sun going behind a cloud.

Number42 Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan's Avatar

Listen - oxygen isn't good for books... but that doesn't mean you are going to seal them behind a vault.

I would be worried about direct sunlight. Other than that, display your books proud and enjoy looking at them. Great case by the way.

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by dubrosa22 View Post
    Now I worry about the books getting damaged - I just want to enjoy them!
    Don't!!
    Display, READ and enjoy your collection. That's what it's there for!!

sk

John F. Kennedy mattv2099 is on a distinguished road mattv2099's Avatar

You could replace the glass in your bookcase with UV glass.

I have several valuable prints framed behind UV glass. It's supposed to block out all the rays that do damage.

It is very expensive, however.

And BTW, your bookcase is beautiful. When I look at threads of people collections I'm always hoping they show the bookcases the books are in... Not the individual books I've already seen a million times. So thank you for showing your case!

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by Dolan View Post
    Listen - oxygen isn't good for books... but that doesn't mean you are going to seal them behind a vault.

I would be worried about direct sunlight. Other than that, display your books proud and enjoy looking at them. Great case by the way.
    Yes - direct sunlight is a killer...but short of that, I think you'll be okay in the fairly long term.

I have a lot of my books in a darker space with no sunlight at all...but I've had another bookcase in a sunny (but no direct light) bookcase for about three years and there's been not even slight fading to even older d/js (not high end books in any case...)

And...like Kenny's saying, these books are ALL going to fall apart someday, and only the hand of God can stop that from happening...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 98 of 567 FirstFirst ... 48 88 96 97 98 99 100 108 148 198 ... LastLast