Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 68 of 567 FirstFirst ... 18 58 66 67 68 69 70 78 118 168 ... LastLast
Results 1,676 to 1,700 of 14172

Thread: Stephen King Collecting Questions

Gunslinger Apprentice SkippyD023 is on a distinguished road SkippyD023's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks John, that is what I thought but I wanted to be sure.

One more question, if its all right. I don't know much about UK editions of King's books and I ran across a copy of Pet Sematary and was wondering how you can tell if it is a first edition and if it is a first edition what it is worth. Both the book and DJ are in fine condition.

Thanks again for everyones help.

Traveler Spawn is on a distinguished road Spawn's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Hello, I have a question that I hope any of you may be able to answer me. I'm starting to collect Stephen King books ( nothing really serious yet, just some HB first editions, but not the "big ones") and I would like to know how much is ok to pay for the five issues of the Fantasy and Science Fiction magazine that collect The Gunslinger.
    Thanks.

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
    Hello, I have a question that I hope any of you may be able to answer me. I'm starting to collect Stephen King books ( nothing really serious yet, just some HB first editions, but not the "big ones") and I would like to know how much is ok to pay for the five issues of the Fantasy and Science Fiction magazine that collect The Gunslinger.
    Thanks.
    About $10 each seems to be standard.

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks for your answer. I guess I'll have to look for them a little longer, because most of the issues on ebay are way more expensive than that.

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks for your answer. I guess I'll have to look for them a little longer, because most of the issues on ebay are way more expensive than that.
    A tip for everyone. Be patient. Don't jump in and buy things on impulse. Do your homework and you will save yourself a lot of money.

Always check the ebay "completed auctions" to see what price things have actually been selling for. Nearly 90% of SK books on ebay do not sell.

And a tip for sellers... if your item does not sell, it's can only be for 2 reasons.

1, It's crap
    2. It's too expensive.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Sage advice, Mr. R.T.

You forgot this option:

3. Both of the above.

Spawn, I think I paid about $100 for my set of the five issues, but I was overeager and the timing was the top of the market - a dangerous combination!

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Rabbit Trick View Post
    A tip for everyone. Be patient. Don't jump in and buy things on impulse. Do your homework and you will save yourself a lot of money.

Always check the ebay "completed auctions" to see what price things have actually been selling for. Nearly 90% of SK books on ebay do not sell.

And a tip for sellers... if your item does not sell, it's can only be for 2 reasons.

1, It's crap
    2. It's too expensive.
    or

3. It's too expensive and it's crap.

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Patrick and Brice got it right. 3 options

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Spawn, I think I paid about $100 for my set of the five issues, but I was overeager and the timing was the top of the market - a dangerous combination!
    $100 is right for good condition copies. (Even in this poor selling market)

Country
    Country Flag

Good tip, Mr.Rabbit. I'll keep it in mind.

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Condition is another factor to consider. While it is true that average condition copies with mailing labels glued permanently to the covers can be had cheaply I don't think that is the case with truly fine unread copies without mailing labels. Those are significantly more difficult to find and, IMO, worth a premium (say $20-$25 apiece).

Oops. I didn't see Mr. Rabbit Trick's response ahead of mine. We are saying essentially the same thing.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeeeeeah, mine are pretty average.

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

You can often find them at abebooks.com if you phrase your search terms properly.

Gunslinger Apprentice SkippyD023 is on a distinguished road SkippyD023's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Rabbit Trick View Post
    Weird Tales No. 301 (Summer 1991) containing "It Grows on You".

According to Justin's book, there was a hardcover limited edition of this signed by King.

Is this true?

(I know about the Whispers version)

There are at least two different hardcover editions of the King appearances in Weird Tales #298 and #301. One with blue boards and one with red boards. None are signed by King.

Weird Tales #298, Fall 1990, with King's "The Glass Floor" has 200 numbered copies in blue signed by four authors/editors and 30 lettered copies in red signed by the same four.

Weird Tales #301, Summer 1991, with King's "It Grows On You" has 105 numbered copies in blue signed by four authors/editors and 43 lettered copies in red signed by the same four.

I know this is an old topic but are the softcover copies of Weird Tales with King's stories in them worth anything? They are not the first appearance of the story which I woul dguess make them less valuable to a collector.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Yes, Skippy, the softcover versions are worth quite a bit less, but they are still fairly collectible. Prices I've been able to find range from about $5 up.

John

Gunslinger Apprentice DanishCollector will become famous soon enough

Default maffia

Ok, here's the scans of the illustration to The Crate in Gallery magazine.
    Attached Images

Country
    Country Flag

By coincidence, I just bought the 2 blue hardcovers in the above picture recently.

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks for posting'em!
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Servant of Gan e_taylor will become famous soon enough e_taylor's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

In regards to the S&SF magazines.

Just wondering about thoughts on the importance of them to a DT collection. I'm sure there won't be any consensus, but in a collection of DT S/Ls, are they needed on account of being the 1st appearance of the Gunslinger, or is it just a nice add on?

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I consider them just to be a nice add-on.

John

The summaries before each of the installments are very important -- they show King's evolution in the way he thought about the man in black, finally arriving at the idea that he and Marten were the same individual, although that isn't clear in the texts until far later.

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I think I'm going to have to go back and reread those.

John

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by e_taylor View Post
    In regards to the S&SF magazines.

Just wondering about thoughts on the importance of them to a DT collection. I'm sure there won't be any consensus, but in a collection of DT S/Ls, are they needed on account of being the 1st appearance of the Gunslinger, or is it just a nice add on?
    Eric-

I consider them add-ons, but a necessary part of a Dark Tower collection.

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.
    Luke : Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand

Servant of Gan e_taylor will become famous soon enough e_taylor's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Yah, I've been wrestling with them on an off for about a year and a half. On the one hand, a "brief" (for lack of a better term) DT collection w/ the S/Ls doesn't seem that it NEEDS it. But surely a more in depth DT collection would need every state of every book, which I would consider the set of mags to be.

But at the same time, its the freakin' Gunslinger we're talking about, shouldn't even the most basic of DT collections make an exception?

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    I think I'm going to have to go back and reread those.

John
    I included them at the back of The Road to the Dark Tower, trimmed down a bit to get rid of the repetitive sections.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 68 of 567 FirstFirst ... 18 58 66 67 68 69 70 78 118 168 ... LastLast