Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 502 of 567 FirstFirst ... 2 402 452 492 500 501 502 503 504 512 552 ... LastLast
Results 12,526 to 12,550 of 14170

Thread: Stephen King Collecting Questions

Servant of Gan Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm sure this has been discussed numerous times on here but I'd like to get some opinions. A friend of mine and I were discussing PC's and their value in relation to a numbered edition. I told her that I believe numbered editions are more valued over PC copies but I couldn't explain the why's of that. I only own one PC copy (Letters From Hell) and have numbered everything else. There are less PC's than numbereds so I'm just curious to folks' thoughts on the matter.

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by herbertwest View Post
    How many UK Whsmith purple variants are there?
    - Revival
    - Mr Mercedes, Finders Keepers, End of Watch
    - The bazar of bad dreams
    - Sleeping Beauties

Did I forget something? Does anyone have a picture of all of them next to each other?
    Just wait for Bruce....

Gunslinger Apprentice PennyUnwise is a jewel in the rough PennyUnwise is a jewel in the rough PennyUnwise is a jewel in the rough PennyUnwise's Avatar

My Mood
    Relaxed

Quote Originally Posted by Beverly Marsh View Post
    I'm sure this has been discussed numerous times on here but I'd like to get some opinions. A friend of mine and I were discussing PC's and their value in relation to a numbered edition. I told her that I believe numbered editions are more valued over PC copies but I couldn't explain the why's of that. I only own one PC copy (Letters From Hell) and have numbered everything else. There are less PC's than numbereds so I'm just curious to folks' thoughts on the matter.
    I always thought that was an interesting note too with the lower value coupled with the lower amount available. I always assumed two things, but am not a publisher so have no idea really beyond speculation.

One, the PC lettered edition I have from Subterranean had a dinged up case when shipped. I assume out of their overall run of the book they selected the "most" pristine copies for distribution and kept the others for themselves. Also I think from a rarity standpoint, although there are technically less PC copies than numbered, there is only one single copy for a given number. There are typically a handful if not much more of PC copies. I thought that was the main reason people put higher values on the numbered copies, because you are the only one who owns that number. Many people can own the PC.

Just my thoughts, but not certain as I am not involved in the publishing side!
    Lettered Wants:
    Altered Carbon "O"

Lettereds for Trade:
    The Passage Trilogy
    Wool Trilogy
    Silence of the Lambs
    Jekyll & Hyde

Servant of Gan Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by PennyUnwise View Post
    I always thought that was an interesting note too with the lower value coupled with the lower amount available. I always assumed two things, but am not a publisher so have no idea really beyond speculation.

One, the PC lettered edition I have from Subterranean had a dinged up case when shipped. I assume out of their overall run of the book they selected the "most" pristine copies for distribution and kept the others for themselves. Also I think from a rarity standpoint, although there are technically less PC copies than numbered, there is only one single copy for a given number. There are typically a handful if not much more of PC copies. I thought that was the main reason people put higher values on the numbered copies, because you are the only one who owns that number. Many people can own the PC.

Just my thoughts, but not certain as I am not involved in the publishing side!
    Those are excellent points, especially about the one number as opposed to a few PC's. Thank you for your input!

Goldmember Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm one of the older collectors on here (been collecting since early 80's) and I own PC as well as numbered. For me, the only time an actual number is important is when I'm trying for a matching number set like the Dark Tower, or matching an art portfolio to a limited. Other than that, it's the signature/s that holds the value for me, not a number or letter. The quality of material used also makes a difference to me over a number or letter.

This is just one guys opinion.

Mulleins
    I'm the caretaker of Room 217..............I've always been the caretaker of Room 217

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

In most cases the actual numbered or lettered edition is more desirable and therefor worth slightly more. There is often a 10%-20% difference in value.

There are some discrete cases in which some collectors value a PC edition more highly than a numbered edition. Collectors are funny people.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

While not a "purple" variant, there is also a WH Smith limited dustjacket for The Wind Through the Keyhole.

MISSING STICKER!

BLIND WILLIE EXTRA STORY.

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Would it greatly devalue those if the stickers were missing?

I believe it does. I was really pissed when the book showed up without it. Bought in on the internet with no description & was not pleased it was missing. Who removes this type of sticker?

Spoiler:
    VJ BOOKS (But I have told that story already.)

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

Agreed. All my copies have the sticker ... except Mr Mercedes! Was similarly annoyed that it was removed.

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

It has been discussed several times. The numbered and lettered versions are unique. There is only one of each. PC however, may have dozens of copies. The more unscrupulous ones have 50 PC copies for each release. (You know who you are.)

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks all on the WHSmith answer and pictures.
    I did forget DOCTOR SLEEP, thought about THE KEY but didn't include it in the listing because wasnt purple but it is a variant indeed, and didnt know about BAG OF BONES
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
    ------------------------------------------------

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks Ralph, Brian, and RT for chiming in. I appreciate your thoughts on the subject!

Demon of the Prim lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Room 217 Caretaker View Post
    I'm one of the older collectors on here (been collecting since early 80's) and I own PC as well as numbered. For me, the only time an actual number is important is when I'm trying for a matching number set like the Dark Tower, or matching an art portfolio to a limited. Other than that, it's the signature/s that holds the value for me, not a number or letter. The quality of material used also makes a difference to me over a number or letter.

This is just one guys opinion.

Mulleins
    Newer collector here (~7 years, so not brand new by any means, but definitely not 30 years!) and I agree with all of these points.

I use the following criteria (roughly) for my preferences: (1) quality of material and uniqueness of presentation, (2) a book or author I like, (3) the signatures, (4) extras like new art or deleted scenes, and (5) number or letter.

I also prefer to have matching numbers for a set, and as such I would prefer to have matching PC copies as opposed to unmatched numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Rabbit Trick View Post

It has been discussed several times. The numbered and lettered versions are unique. There is only one of each. PC however, may have dozens of copies. The more unscrupulous ones have 50 PC copies for each release. (You know who you are.)
    The uniqueness is kind of beside the point to me. I'd rather have a nice book that's one of 5000 copies than a so-so book that has 26 copies. I recognize that your position seems to be the dominant position, which I guess is nice for me because it results in a lower price point for PC books I like and a higher potential selling point for numbered editions that I already own but don't enjoy as much.

That said, I agree that a publisher with 50 PC copies is acting unscrupulously. Nobody regularly releases their PC runs (that I'm aware of) and I think it's one of the grayer areas in collecting as a result of that.

Guardian of the Beam ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I don’t know if this had been mentioned before, but it looks like Gauntlet Press is trying to get King to do. A Little Book:

We are currently assembling the roster of writers for Series III and have already signed Ramsey Campbell, Mort Castle, Richard Chizmar, Heather Graham, Charles L. Grant, Owen King, Josh Malerman, William F. Nolan, and Tim Waggoner. In the coming months, pending negotiations, we hope to announce the addition of writers such as Thomas Ligotti, Bentley Little, Gahan Wilson, Caitlyn Kiernan, and Stephen King.

If you wish to guarantee you acquire a complete matched set of Series III, be sure to pre-order the A Little Gray Book of Shadows below and send us a note indicating you would like reserve the same number for the entire Series. Limited to 350 copies, all books are signed by the author (Charles Grant edition signed by the editor, Kathryn Ptacek), and we expect the series to sell out completely . . . . so don't delay!

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ELazansky View Post
    I don’t know if this had been mentioned before, but it looks like Gauntlet Press is trying to get King to do. A Little Book:

We are currently assembling the roster of writers for Series III and have already signed Ramsey Campbell, Mort Castle, Richard Chizmar, Heather Graham, Charles L. Grant, Owen King, Josh Malerman, William F. Nolan, and Tim Waggoner. In the coming months, pending negotiations, we hope to announce the addition of writers such as Thomas Ligotti, Bentley Little, Gahan Wilson, Caitlyn Kiernan, and Stephen King.

If you wish to guarantee you acquire a complete matched set of Series III, be sure to pre-order the A Little Gray Book of Shadows below and send us a note indicating you would like reserve the same number for the entire Series. Limited to 350 copies, all books are signed by the author (Charles Grant edition signed by the editor, Kathryn Ptacek), and we expect the series to sell out completely . . . . so don't delay!
    King Is not signing Barry said to me....
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Guardian of the Beam ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Then his email is very deceptive. I can imagine a bunch of people signing up to collect the series, and then finding out that the King book would not be signed.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

It didn't seem misleading to me.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    It says all books signed by the author. If King isn’t signing then that would be misleading.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

He talked about it with me about 3 months or more ago... I specifically asked if King was signing and he said no. Now... that was 3-4 months ago. It could have changed since then.... but it doesn’t seem so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Citizen of Gilead Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ELazansky View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    It says all books signed by the author. If King isn’t signing then that would be misleading.

I think the key phrase was “we hope to announce...”. They haven’t promised he will write and sign a story in the series, only that they are trying to get him. I ordered the first one with very little hope that he will sign on. If he does, great. If not, there are enough other authors listed that will make it worth it to me.
    "Thanks, but no, it isn't a cowboy hat. It's a fedora. And yes, Indianna Jones is still socially relevant."

President-Matt Fisher Fan Club Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Asleep

FYI Borderland Books is doing the little book series. Not BARRY or Gauntlet Press. It says pending negotiations.

CWalker beat me to post! I was on the phone with the Publisher. HOPE. not a done deal.

See below:
    In the coming months, pending negotiations, we hope to announce the addition of writers such as Thomas Ligotti, Bentley Little, Gahan Wilson, Caitlyn Kiernan, and Stephen King.

Not misleading, negotiations might work and they might not. As Tippy pointed out, they did not work for SERIES II. Its a gamble. Are you an optimist or a pessimist? Heads or Tails? Paul got him to sign Misery. Owen is signing, Joe Hill signed. Maybe we need to petition Tabitha and really put the pressure on KING.

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

I joined both in the hope of King doing one and because I like some of the other authors. There's one I really dislike too, but every barrel has a bad apple or two.
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

I've come across some information that two copies of BARE BONES from Underwood/Miller were done with red foil stamping instead of blue. Anyone here ever seen, or have, one of these?
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 502 of 567 FirstFirst ... 2 402 452 492 500 501 502 503 504 512 552 ... LastLast