Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 244 of 567 FirstFirst ... 144 194 234 242 243 244 245 246 254 294 344 ... LastLast
Results 6,076 to 6,100 of 14174

Thread: Stephen King Collecting Questions

Servant of Gan shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

If anyone p*sses me off today they are gonna get a 'lunkhead!!'

:-)
    Nobody likes a clown at midnight

Gunslinger Apprentice RandyinAK will become famous soon enough RandyinAK's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

This is probably the most idiotic question but whenever I buy a SK book that comes from someone who has taken care of their books, They always have these super nice DJ protectors or covers on them. Do you have any idea where to get those DJ covers? Like Mylar, maybe it is mylar but it seems better. Any idea? I have a bunch of 1st/1st I want to get covers on.
    Randy in Alaska

Wanted:
    These 1st/1st Editions:
    Salems Lot
    Dead Zone

Wish List:
    The Stand S/L in coffin box
    Firestarter S/L
    Doctor Sleep S/L
    Cujo S/L
    Christine S/L

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Guardian of the Beam ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by RandyinAK View Post
    This is probably the most idiotic question but whenever I buy a SK book that comes from someone who has taken care of their books, They always have these super nice DJ protectors or covers on them. Do you have any idea where to get those DJ covers? Like Mylar, maybe it is mylar but it seems better. Any idea? I have a bunch of 1st/1st I want to get covers on.
    Randy,

These are the ones I use - http://www.shopbrodart.com/Book-Jack...Y6MDo6Ojo6OjA6

I get the 10" H by 21 length - usually does the trick for most regular hardcovers. I also have some larger ones for larger books.

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

John is correct.

This is the product you want:

Broadart
    #10 426 005
    Height: 10 In
    Depth: 23 In

http://www.shopbrodart.com/Book-Jack...ers?q=20426005

It comes in a variety of sizes, but this size will fit most of Stephens books. You can order either 25 or 100 sheets.

You might want to consider their Brodart BroDex Multipurpose Cleaner to clean the dustjacket before covering.

http://www.shopbrodart.com/supplies/...pose%2bCleaner

ps. The covers that ELazansky suggests come with an adhesive. I don't think I would like that for collectible books. I haven't tried them though.

Gunslinger Apprentice RandyinAK will become famous soon enough RandyinAK's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks everyone for the info, looks like exactly what I need. Perfect for my winter project when I'm not shoveling snow!!! Thanks again

Rand
    Randy in Alaska

Wanted:
    These 1st/1st Editions:
    Salems Lot
    Dead Zone

Wish List:
    Firestarter S/L
    Doctor Sleep S/L
    Cujo S/L
    Christine S/L

Guardian of the Beam ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by cabinetmaniac View Post
    John is correct.

This is the product you want:

Broadart
    #10 426 005
    Height: 10 In
    Depth: 23 In

http://www.shopbrodart.com/Book-Jack...ers?q=20426005

It comes in a variety of sizes, but this size will fit most of Stephens books. You can order either 25 or 100 sheets.

You might want to consider their Brodart BroDex Multipurpose Cleaner to clean the dustjacket before covering.

http://www.shopbrodart.com/supplies/...pose%2bCleaner

ps. The covers that ELazansky suggests come with an adhesive. I don't think I would like that for collectible books. I haven't tried them though.
    The Just a Fold III do NOT have an adhesive that sticks the dust jacket to the Brodart cover - I have hundreds of these jackets on my books.

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ELazansky View Post
    The Just a Fold III do NOT have an adhesive - please get your facts straight:

For library, home and rare collections
    Acid-free; chemically inert; will not yellow or crack with age
    Non-printed paper backing
    pH neutral PVA adhesive
    Convenient perforated folding guides
    Choose from 1.5-mil sheets or rolls
    Sheets are packaged in quantities of 25 or 100
    Rolls are packaged in Brodart’s guaranteed SafePack box
    Did posting that actually make sense to you?

Upon further research the adhesive listed is to secure the protective paper to the plastic cover, and not the plastic cover to the book.

I did state that I had not used the item.

The difference between this item and the one I posted seems to be that this item has pre-perforated folding lines.

Since SK books are not the same size, I fail to see the benefit of the pre-perforation.

Perhaps you could enlighten us.

[/QUOTE]

Country
    Country Flag

No thanks. I'll pass. Everyone has their preference, and there are no right or wrong jacket covers. Any of the Brodart jackets work just fine. The Gaylord ones are great, too. Any jacket better is better than nothing.

Demon of the Prim Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm thinking about insuring my collection. After talking to my home insurance agent, he informed that I would only get $2,500 max for ALL of my collectables. So basically he suggested that I need to seek an independent insurance provider for my book collection. He gave me the company http://collectinsure.com/. He told me that he has suggested them to others but never dealt with them personally.

My questions would be, does anyone have insurance suggestions regarding a specific company or just general suggestions? Has anyone used CollectInsure.com? I have a spreadsheet of my collection with the price I paid, low market value and high market value. I figured it would give me a good value range to insure for.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    I'm thinking about insuring my collection. After talking to my home insurance agent, he informed that I would only get $2,500 max for ALL of my collectables. So basically he suggested that I need to seek an independent insurance provider for my book collection. He gave me the company http://collectinsure.com/. He told me that he has suggested them to others but never dealt with them personally.

My questions would be, does anyone have insurance suggestions regarding a specific company or just general suggestions? Has anyone used CollectInsure.com? I have a spreadsheet of my collection with the price I paid, low market value and high market value. I figured it would give me a good value range to insure for.
    I have a policy from Collect Insure for $25,000 - costs me around $100 a year. So far, they have been very nice via email. I haven't needed to file a claim, so I don't know how that whole process would work. I also have a spreadsheet with what I paid. I don't know how they would value a book if you filed a claim. I figure it is better to have the policy than not to.

Demon of the Prim Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Sweet, thanks! I agree, better to have something.

Demon of the Prim RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65's Avatar

No thanks. I'll pass. Everyone has their preference, and there are no right or wrong jacket covers. Any of the Brodart jackets work just fine. The Gaylord ones are great, too. Any jacket better is better than nothing.
    I prefer the Gaylord brand covers. Good stuff.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by RC65 View Post
    I'll have to try those.

What is better about them?

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/...ting-Tutorials

Check out the link above, there are many answers to your questions.

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by RC65 View Post
    You would. Oooooooooooooooh!

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/...ting-Tutorials

Check out the link above, there are many answers to your questions.
    Thanks Shannon,
    It was your books that I just got in the sale that were in beautiful shape and had excellent covers on them.... Looking at those now, I want them on all my Collectibles.
    Randy
    Randy in Alaska

Wanted:
    These 1st/1st Editions:
    Salems Lot
    Dead Zone

Wish List:
    Firestarter S/L
    Doctor Sleep S/L
    Cujo S/L
    Christine S/L

Citizen of Gilead barlow will become famous soon enough barlow's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The Just a Fold III do NOT have an adhesive - please get your facts straight:

For library, home and rare collections
    Acid-free; chemically inert; will not yellow or crack with age
    Non-printed paper backing
    pH neutral PVA adhesive
    Convenient perforated folding guides
    Choose from 1.5-mil sheets or rolls
    Sheets are packaged in quantities of 25 or 100
    Rolls are packaged in Brodart’s guaranteed SafePack box
    Did posting that actually make sense to you?

Upon further research the adhesive listed is to secure the protective paper to the plastic cover, and not the plastic cover to the book.

I did state that I had not used the item.

The difference between this item and the one I posted seems to be that this item has pre-perforated folding lines.

Since SK books are not the same size, I fail to see the benefit of the pre-perforation.

I would add, if you have a steady hand, you get a better fit, especially if the book is slipcased, by folding and creasing cover to the exact jacket size. The pre perforated lines sometimes, become troublesome when doing this.

Ken

[/QUOTE]

Citizen of Gilead barlow will become famous soon enough barlow's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Ok somehow my reply got added into th quote itself? Sorry about that one.

Ken

Demon of the Prim ChristineB is a jewel in the rough ChristineB is a jewel in the rough ChristineB is a jewel in the rough ChristineB's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

In relation to the DJ covers, if you have an extensive collection or plan on having one I highly suggest you go with a roll of which ever ones you plan to get. This insures that you will have the correct length for any of the books and is less wasteful. They are easier to store this way too.
    My biggest pet peeve is people that don't completely cover the entire DJ with the plastic cover.
    Christine

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by barlow View Post
    I would add, if you have a steady hand, you get a better fit, especially if the book is slipcased, by folding and creasing cover to the exact jacket size. The pre perforated lines sometimes, become troublesome when doing this.

Ken
    You're right, Ken. I usually don't try to add a jacket protector is the book is in a slipcase. In those situations, the slipcase is doing the protecting. In many instances, thebook just fits into the slipcase nicely. If you add any jacket protector, it becomes a really tight fit, and sometimes, it won't fit at all.

Gunslinger Apprentice dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I use Brodart because it was recommended via a rare book seller. In fact, I just got an order in from them. I use the rolls, as I can more closely get them to the size of the dustjacket. They also have magazine covers, paperback covers, and non-dust jacket book covers. I like to keep them on hand in case I go on a buying binge! The "bone" folder is nice to have t0o, and only costs $3-4.

Gunslinger Apprentice dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post

I went through this not too long ago. I talked to my insurance agent and he suggested a rider to the policy specifically to cover my book collection. For that, I needed an appraisal. However, as I live in hell, I couldn't find anyone credible to do the appraisal. (I had one local bookstore owner get on his computer with the name of a book I'd just bought and say: hey--here is a copy of this book for $.99 when I had just paid $200 for the 1st! Never mind that he was looking at a paperback reprint. Needless to say, that did not instill any faith in his abilities.) So I went back to my insurance agent and we increased the amount covered in my regular homeowner's insurance policy for the contents. That way, if the worst happens, my books will be covered there.

Gunslinger Apprentice subie09lega will become famous soon enough subie09lega will become famous soon enough subie09lega's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The problem that I've seen with not using covers on DJs with slipcases is the rubbing between the case and DJ. The covers that I have on slipcases books help the book glide out of the case. I haven't had one tight enough to be too tight with the cover. I like the idea of the clear cover for Cujo to protect the cover from the rubbing.

Quote Originally Posted by barlow View Post

Ken
    You're right, Ken. I usually don't try to add a jacket protector is the book is in a slipcase. In those situations, the slipcase is doing the protecting. In many instances, thebook just fits into the slipcase nicely. If you add any jacket protector, it becomes a really tight fit, and sometimes, it won't fit at all.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by subie09lega View Post
    The problem that I've seen with not using covers on DJs with slipcases is the rubbing between the case and DJ. The covers that I have on slipcases books help the book glide out of the case. I haven't had one tight enough to be too tight with the cover. I like the idea of the clear cover for Cujo to protect the cover from the rubbing.
    Very true. If I have the room with a book in a slipcase, I do add one. But many of the non-SK books that I have fit very snugly in their slipcase, so there is no way to add a protector. and if I am being honest, I don't take the books out of the slipcase that often, so I don't worry about the rubbing so much.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 244 of 567 FirstFirst ... 144 194 234 242 243 244 245 246 254 294 344 ... LastLast