Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: The Whedonverse

Gunslinger Apprentice Steve will become famous soon enough Steve's Avatar

God, I love Firefly. I'm a hardcore Browncoat (even got a few props from the show).

"I aim to misbehave."
    -- Malcolm Reynolds

"I am a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar."
    -- Hoban Washburne

"What does that make us?"
    "Big damn heroes, sir."
    "Ain't we just."
    -- Malcolm Reynolds and Zoe Washburne

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Firefly/Serenity = #1 in my book!

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Yeah, I'm a hard-core Browncoat too, in more ways than one.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Gunslinger Apprentice Lance is on a distinguished road Lance's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Awesome thread SJ. This is a rant but because it involved the Whedonverse I'll put it here. Months ago I re rented Season 3 of Angel. from Blockbuster. I ended up losing it in my living room. I was positive that I had returned it along with about three other dvds. Well about a month and a half ago my gf ended up cleaning up all the clutter of my living room and found it. I tried to return it but they said that since it had been more than sixty days they had charged it to my account. Well I told the GM up front that I wasn't going to pay 70$ for a set of dvd's I had right there to give back. We went back and forth for a while and I ended up leaving with the set. The good news is that I now own season three for free. The bad news is that I can't rent from BB again. Which really sucks since they're the twe stores closest to me.
    I'm Joe Collins, bitch. Recognize!

"I don't like pot. It dulls my hatred" - Darlene Conner

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Netflix, baby.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

I also enjoyed "Alien: Resurrection," which seemed like a proto-Firefly (especially the crew of the Betty).

"I aim to misbehave."
    -- Malcolm Reynolds

-- Hoban Washburne

"Big damn heroes, sir."
    "Ain't we just."

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

I just saw that I can pick up the entire Firefly series for about 40 bucks on Amazon.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Oh, great. Now I have to go get it.

Last week I bought the Collectors Edition Serenity. Totally worth it for the extra bucks.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Excellent!

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by All_Hail_The_Crimson_King View Post
    I just saw that I can pick up the entire Firefly series for about 40 bucks on Amazon.
    I would hold off on getting it for that price. It often goes lower than that. I've seen it for close to $20 quite a few times, and sometimes even as low as $15 if you're lucky. And with the holidays coming up I'm sure someone will have it on sale for cheap.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Not to start a battle or anything but I'm curious on what is so good about Firefly? It was only on TV for three months before getting cancelled yet I hear people rave about how its one of the best TV series ever made...so why was it cancelled? I can't see a station cancelling a show if it's loved and has as large of a fanbase as it appears to have. The fact it didn't even last a full season (unless I'm wrong) is enough to make me not to want to watch it, beside the fact Whedon created it.

I just want to know, what is so good about this cancelled television show that the fanbase is so expansive? It simply looks like another cheesy, science fiction show like Andromeda or Deep Space Nine so I'm wondering if I'm wrong on this. Considering I though Buffy and Angel were god awful, what did Whedon do in this series to make me change my opinion on him?

Serenity did little to grab my attention either but perhaps the advertising was just really bad. My dad seen it, said it was above average.

Maybe it's just because I, personally, have never seen the appeal in most TV shows and sci-fi shows have a long history of being incredibly cheesy and hokey. If I get some decent answers I may look into it. My brother has been telling me to watch Battlestar Galactica for over a year but every preview I see makes it look cheeseball.

Just watch it. It ain't hokey, it ain't cheeseball. Fox canceled it because they put it at a time where most people are (a) at high school football games, or (b) on the road for the weekend. The Friday time-slot of death. Goddamn Fox.

"I aim to misbehave."
    -- Malcolm Reynolds

-- Hoban Washburne

"Big damn heroes, sir."
    "Ain't we just."

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

What Steve said. Watch it, and form your own opinion. NEVER rely on others' opinions.

And the new BSG? WATCH IT.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Just watch it. It ain't hokey, it ain't cheeseball. Fox canceled it because they put it at a time where most people are (a) at high school football games, or (b) on the road for the weekend. The Friday time-slot of death. Goddamn Fox.
    big question; Is there any kind of dininitive conclusion? Can I watch it beginning to end and have it feel complete, as a whole? I hear people complain about how Carnivale finished which is why, though I've wanted to, watch it. Is Serenity a follow up?

Second big question; Is it done in a similar style as Buffy and Angel were done in? I enjoyed buffy when I was twelve but never stuck with it, never went back. Buffy and Angel just wasn't my thing. So my views on what Whedon is capable of is a little skewed. Firefly seems about as opposite of Buffy and Angel as you can get.

Watch the series, then read the graphic novel bridging the gap "Serenity: Those Left Behind," then watch the film "Serenity." It's sooo worth it.

"I aim to misbehave."
    -- Malcolm Reynolds

-- Hoban Washburne

"Big damn heroes, sir."
    "Ain't we just."

Banned sarajean is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    not only this, but FOX has a tendency to cancel things after a relatively short period of time if the show isn't living up to the high expectations they set forth for it.

they broadcast the episodes out of sequence, so some people felt that they were coming into a story without having any clue what was going on and were turned off. many of them eventually returned to the fold when the DVDs were released as they could finally watch the episodes in some sort of chronological order. FOX was showing commercials for "the girl in the box" for weeks before the show even premiered, but didn't even show that episode until 3 or 4 weeks in.

the pilot was actually the last episode ever aired on FOX.

firefly is some of the best television ever. it was better than buffy and it was better than angel. and this is coming from me, a diehard buffy and angel fan. i have not had one person who sat down and watched the series come back and tell me they didn't enjoy it. not one.

ps. say, your coat's kind of a brownish colour, isn't it?

Mother of Dragons Erin will become famous soon enough Erin will become famous soon enough Erin's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Mattrick:

I've seen the first season of Buffy and really couldn't get into it. I'll eventually watch the rest of the show and Angel, but i'm dragging my feet because of how little I liked that season.

That being said, I loved loved loved LOVED Firefly. It's an excellent show and worth watching.
    I am Daenerys Stormborn and I will take what is mine. With fire and blood.

Along the Path of the Beam Sympathy For The Devil is on a distinguished road Sympathy For The Devil's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Im a huge firefly fan, i didnt really dig serenity all that much though but i loooovvvveeee firefly, its a disgrace that the show was cancelled. I never really got into buffy/angel, although i loved the buffy movie when it first came out when i was like 11, i even had a cat called buffy.

Id love it if joss whedon could bring back the show somehow, imo its porbably the best adventure show ever, for me every episode was like watchin star wars or indiana jones, its sad when they cancel this but still have all those shite csi programs on every night of the god damned week.

P.s Sorry if i offended any csi fans.

The White! MonteGss is on a distinguished road MonteGss's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Fuck the CSI fans!

Banned sarajean is on a distinguished road

does anyone else have the serenity graphic novel? i was reading it again the other day, and jo chen's kaylee cover looks eerily similar to our own dear erin.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

There is a GRAHPIC NOVEL??? Why was I not told????

Linky?

Mother of Dragons Erin will become famous soon enough Erin will become famous soon enough Erin's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Well geez. I googled that Kaylee cover and was surprised. It does kinda look like me. Especially the nose and eye area. Weird!

The White! MonteGss is on a distinguished road MonteGss's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Link to hot pics of Erin/Kaylee? Anyone?

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast