Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: The Collectible James Herbert

Weedeater Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa's Avatar

My Mood
    Sleepy
    Country
    Country Flag

OOOOh i love 'The Dark', a really great book!

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I've only read a few of Herbert's books, but they were great. I'm loving seeing y'all's treasures.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Manni Folken The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Received this yesterday. Secret Of Crickley Hall US proof.

Weedeater Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa's Avatar

My Mood
    Sleepy
    Country
    Country Flag

Not read that book yet! Really need to get along with the other titles that i haven't read yet.

Manni Folken The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

You should give it a read Tom. Very entertaining story. I loved it.

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quirky item I just received. The Rats in an edition from 1988 made especially for a filofax. Signed too.

My Mood
    Sleepy
    Country
    Country Flag

Very cool!

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Now that's original!

My Mood
    Sleepy
    Country
    Country Flag

Update with pictures of 'Fluke' and 'The Jonah'.

UK limited edition proof of 'The Ghosts of Sleath'.

UK proof for 'Creed'

UK limited edition proof for 'Once'.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Interesting that those proofs are numbered and even signed in the one case!

John

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

I travelled down to Birmingham last week for a signing and Q&A with James Herbert. Got 3 books signed, had a nice chat with the man himself, and he happily posed for pictures with everyone whon asked. He really was a nice fella.

Will post up some pics when I get a chance.

My Mood
    Sleepy
    Country
    Country Flag

Argh i didn't realise there was a signing until it had been and gone, luckily he is at Fantasy Con at Brighton on the 29th of September!

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Alan G View Post
    I travelled down to Birmingham last week for a signing and Q&A with James Herbert. Got 3 books signed, had a nice chat with the man himself, and he happily posed for pictures with everyone whon asked. He really was a nice fella.

You travelled all the way from Scotland to Alabama for a signing?

If you rescue me

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post

You travelled all the way from Scotland to Alabama for a signing?
    Haha not quite, Brice. Just a 4 hour train journey to England. Although I would probably make the trek to Alabama for a certain Mr. King to be honest!

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Default James Herbert ASH book signing, Waterstone's, Birmingham New Street, 03/09/12

I was lucky enough to attend a book signing and Q&A with James Herbert a couple of weeks back. Mr Herbert doesn't appear at public events all that often due to ill health I believe, so when this event was announced I jumped on it straight away. It's been six years or so since Herbert's last novel was published and this event was to promote his new novel ASH, and was his only Waterstone's signing in the UK.

Without going into too much boring detail, I've been a James Herbert fan for nigh on 30 years, as long as I've been a fan of Stephen King actually, and I fulfilled a personal ambition of mine by finally meeting the man himself on 3rd September. Any way, I travelled down to Birmingham by train on the Monday morning from Glasgow which was a four hour journey. I had a hotel room booked for an overnight stay so went and checked in and left my overnight bag and had a meal. I headed to Waterstone's about 6:30 for the event at 7. It was a ticketed event and there were around 200 people there. Mr Herbert gave a talk on his new book ASH and then took some audience questions. He mentioned a certain Stephen King a few times and said they are still good friends who stay in touch quite reegularly. He also said that if he could have written a novel by any other author then it would have been The Shining

After the Q&A we went and purchased our first edition copies of ASH and waited in line for Mr Herbert to sign them. He was a lovely man and happily chatted to everyone and posed for pictures. I took 2 of my favourite books by him along to the event and he signed them for me without any problem.

Here are some pictures below: (sorry for the poor quality)

Mr Herbert signing ASH

Me and James Herbert

My signed and inscribed 1st/1st of ASH

Signed 1st/1st of The Fog which I took along to be signed

Signed Hodder 1st/1st of The Rats which I also took along with me.

The reason I took this Hodder edition of The Rats to be signed was that it's part of a trilogy and I have the other 2 Hodder editions in the series signed already and this completed my set.

So, there we have it. When I got to speak to Mr Herbert, he chatted to me about Scotland when he heard my accent as he had been up in Scotland researching ASH and he also said I should be able to work out which castle (featured in the book) his fictional castle was based on as I was a Scot. He also said he would love to see a film version of his book The Fog, and I should hold onto my 1st edition which he had just signed as it was pretty rare and "would be worth a few quid" lol. His words exactly. He was a very gracious and humble man and it was a pleasure to finally meet him.

After the signing, I went for a few beers with a couple of fans I had been queuing with who were from the Birmingham area. So I also made a couple of new friends as well. After drinks it was a Burger King and back to the hotel tired but happy, then train back home the next morning.
    Sorry for rambling on but I had a fantastic experience and thought I'd share it with those who are interested.

Alan.

My Mood
    Sleepy
    Country
    Country Flag

Sounds great and i am gutted that i didn't go!

Really can't wait until the 29th now so i can meet the man myself!

Citizen of Gilead Lauterer has a spectacular aura about Lauterer has a spectacular aura about Lauterer's Avatar

My Mood
    Devilish

Sorry for rambling on but I had a fantastic experience and thought I'd share it with those who are interested.

Alan.

This was a good idea

Servant of Gan shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Man, I wish I could have attended that, I was in Birmingham Centre on the 1st Sep and usually pop into Waterstones, if I'd gone that time I'd have seen that event advertised and made sure I was there on the 3rd!

Glad you had a great day Alan.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Great story and pics, Alan!

John

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Awesome! Congratulations! I love Herbert.

If you rescue me

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks for sharing, Alan.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Wait! He's sharing? I'll PM you my address, Alan.

If you rescue me

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Tito_Villa View Post
    Sounds great and i am gutted that i didn't go!

Really can't wait until the 29th now so i can meet the man myself!
    You're in for a treat Tom. Hope you enjoy it, mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Lauterer View Post

This was a good idea
    Thanks my friend. Very kind.

Quote Originally Posted by shaq View Post
    Man, I wish I could have attended that, I was in Birmingham Centre on the 1st Sep and usually pop into Waterstones, if I'd gone that time I'd have seen that event advertised and made sure I was there on the 3rd!

Glad you had a great day Alan.
    Gutted for you Shaq Hopefully next time though!

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    Great story and pics, Alan!

John
    Thanks John

Awesome! Congratulations! I love Herbert.
    Thanks Brice. Me too

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    My pleasure. Thanks Patrick

Wait! He's sharing? I'll PM you my address, Alan.
    You crack me up Bricey!

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Since I'm here, I got my Limited Collectors Edition of ASH the other day too. This is the edition exclusive to WH Smith here in the UK (same thing they did with Wind Through The Keyhole) and features a slightly different cover and includes a poem by James Herbert. Half price at £9.95 it was worth getting.

My Mood
    Sleepy
    Country
    Country Flag

Nice, i'm tempted to get one of those too!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast