Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The Collectible James Herbert

Weedeater Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa's Avatar

My Mood
    Sleepy
    Country
    Country Flag

Default The Collectible James Herbert

An author who i have really got into in the past few months is James Herbert and i'm so glad that i have done. His books are bloody good reads and i can't encourage people enough to give them a try!
    His first novel way that was published way back in 1974 ( a few months before Mr King) and there were only 1,000 books produced. I was very lucky to find this copy because there are less than a handfull for sale on the internet and at 5 times the price that i paid for mine. its another library copy but i love it!

The second book that James Herbert had published just a year later is the infamous 'The Fog'. Its grusome deaths & sexual references gave it a name and in some places was banned. But Stephen King & especially Ramsey Campell have campaigned to have it recognised as the classic work of genius that it is. I feel very lucky to own this copy because depite being over 35 years old it is in mint condition and was signed at last years World Horror Con in Brighton.

His 3rd book came out in 1976 and was another hit. A plane chashes in a quaint english village and one man survives without a scratch to his body and with no memory as to his survival and to why the plane crashed. I mean he should do because he was the co-pilot and feel bad to have lived, buit is it just that, there is another feeling deep down that other forces are at play, darker forces. Thus off he goes in search of answers and it leads to a great read. Here is a near fine 1st edition.

Weedeater Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa's Avatar

My Mood
    Sleepy
    Country
    Country Flag

Here's 'Fluke' a fantastic little story of a man who thinks he's a dog or a dog that think he's a man. Can't recommend enough. A really rare copy, especially with no sunfading

Finally taken a picture of my 1st edition of 'Lair' which i got signed last year at Fantasy Con in Brighton

So next is a novel called 'The Spear' which was the first James Herbert book i read. A story of a Nazi occult trying to take over the world, what more do you want. It's cleverly done and never ending action from start to fiction.
    The book on the left is a 1st edition and the one on the right is a signed copy but with a faded spine. I have been in contact with 'Frank' who the book was made out to and he has provided a photocopy of a letter that Mr Herbert sent back when he signed the book.

Next is a book titled 'The Dark'. What are most people scared of? Yes you guessed it, the answer is the dark. Its in our instincts to fear things we can't see, a primevil fear that has been with the human race since its beginning. Herbert takes that fear to a spectacular new level which results in deaths worse than those that occured in 'The Fog'. Simply one of the best books i have ever read and one i need to aquire in fine condition, but this 1st edition will do for now as i have a Centipede Press version that will be shown later.
    Last edited by Tito_Villa; 03-30-2013 at 06:26 AM.

My Mood
    Sleepy
    Country
    Country Flag

How could i miss a book arghhhh and one that seems to be very hard to find, i want to fine a fine copy but this will do for the moment - Half light. The shadow of his past was always with him. But he never knew what it was, or when it would strike next. Sent to a small coastal town to investigate drug smuggling, Kelso stumbles onto a dangerous organisation and suddenly, more than just his life is at stake. It's his past, his future, his sanity. Through torture and drugs he discovers the terrifying secret of the The Jonah. And learns, in the most horrifying way, that it can destroy him as well.

Shrine, what a great story, wierd ending but even my girlfriend liked it - Alice, a deaf-mute, has a vision of a lady in white who says she is the immaculate conception. Suddenly Alice can speak, hear, and perform miracles. The visitation site becomes a shrine. But Alice is no longer the guileless child overwhelmed by her new saintliness. She has become the agent of something corrupt, a vile force centuries old - i can't wait to read them!
    Left is 1st edition & the right is a signed 1st edition again with accompanying letter from 'Frank'.

Domain 1st edition
    Last edited by Tito_Villa; 12-13-2011 at 03:02 AM.

My Mood
    Sleepy
    Country
    Country Flag

Moon 1st edition

The Magic Cottage 1st

Sepulchre 1st

Creed 1st

My Mood
    Sleepy
    Country
    Country Flag

The Secret of Crickley Hall S/L

My Mood
    Sleepy
    Country
    Country Flag

Now i have always heard that Centipede Press make top notch books and when Knowing Darkness came out it encouraged me to break out and get a copy. I was so blown away by the quality and design on the monster artbook that i decided to sample some more of Jerads masterpieces. And where better to start than with the trio of novels by James Herbert that he has produced.
    The Fog limited to 300 copies signed by James Herbert & Ramsey Campbeell who provided the foreword. The book is smyth sewn with the original artwork from the UK & US 1st editions, with a yellow ribbon marker and translucent, fog like title pages. Even better are the 2 bonus short stories included.

My Mood
    Sleepy
    Country
    Country Flag

The Dark limited to just 150 copies signed by James Herbert & Brian Hodge who provided the foreword. This is a big, thick book with a lot of art, marbled endsheets, ribbon marker, printed front cloth, and beautiful back cloth from Europe and again a bonus short story and interview from long, long ago.

You can't really tell from the picture but the back of the book is covered by this amasing textured material that feels and looks great.

An example of the internal artwork

The US 1st cover

Signature page

James Herbert's novel of genocide and germ warfare tackles the unpleasant subject of "what if the Axis had won World War II." However, rather than dwelling on the moral and philosophical aspects of life under such a reign, Herbert throws us right into the story, surrounding us with people of action who cannot take time to mull over the ramifications of this loss but who instead must fight and act. This thriller is a refreshing take on this theme, here presented with a whopping four bonus short stories by Herbert. Each copy is signed by James Herbert. WHAT A BOOK, YOU MUST READ THIS!!!!!!!!!!!

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Awesome, thanks for sharing. And I love your recent pics, high quality and with a gorgeous backdrop. I assume that's where you guys live now?

My Mood
    Sleepy
    Country
    Country Flag

Yes i took them in the garden and with actual sunlight, it makes loads of difference

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Very nice collection, Tom! You've piqued my interest in reading some of his work.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

My Mood
    Sleepy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Very nice collection, Tom! You've piqued my interest in reading some of his work.
    Great

Gunslinger Apprentice Clacke will become famous soon enough Clacke's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Great collection of early Herbert!! I was in on James Herbert from the beginning of his career mainly due to my next-door neighbour at that time. He was a salesman for NEL and Sphere books and he knew I was into horror books. So whenever a new Herbert came out he would send it in to me. Trouble was he worked in the paperback division, so all my early Herbert books are the paperback first editions - worth very little compared to the hardbacks! I think the first hardback I bought was The Jonah. It's how I discovered Clive Barker as well - I got the Sphere paperback Books Of Blood from him. Herbert is well worth checking out though.

Manni Folken The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Just noticed this thread. Great stuff Tom. I also collect Herbert and have some interesting stuff I think you'd like. Will post some pics when I can. Those Centipede editions are ace productions, eh? I have those three and I love them. Wish Centipede would do some more titles.

My Mood
    Sleepy
    Country
    Country Flag

Yes please post what you have Alan i have got one or two more things too, just need to find the time to take pics!

Gunslinger Apprentice agrabin is on a distinguished road agrabin's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

You might be interested in this...

http://img837.imageshack.us/img837/8398/thefogi.jpg

THE FOG - a painting by Tim White

This is the original painting by artist Tim White which was to be used as the cover artwork for the paperback version of the book ‘The Fog’ by James Herbert. It was commissioned by the publishers, New English Library (UK), in 1981. They wanted a simple design for the cover which would have been dominated by large type for the book, thus the available (lower) area for a picture was small. The painting was
    completed and the publishers were happy with it. However, Herbert decided at the last moment that he wanted a typography only cover for the paperback using a typeface which he designed himself. Tim then produced another artwork for the paperback cover featuring only type which was used instead of this original painting.

The top half is unadorned to allow for the insertion of what would have been the title and Herbert's name.

The painting measures 151/4 inches x 91/4 inches.

Medium: 'Gouache' (opaque watercolour) on art board.

I'm a big Herbert fan and recently took the opportunity Tim gave me to buy this unique piece of art.

I have since had the picture framed and it hangs above my fireplace. There are pics so I'll try to dig them out.

I also have a fine copy of The Survivor signed (interestingly) ''to Ted - Jim Herbert''

My Mood
    Sleepy
    Country
    Country Flag

Oh that is great very jealous!

Manni Folken The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

That is a fantastic looking painting agrabin. Congratulations!

Below is a sampler proof of the new (i say new, but it is already a full year late, scheduled to be published 10-10-10, but unfortunately delayed due to Mr Herbert's ill health) James Herbert novel ASH. It is the 3rd book featuring psychic investigator David Ash, the first two being Haunted and then The Ghosts Of Sleath.

Below is my unsigned copy. I also have a copy which was signed at last years Horror con in Brighton. I will take a picture of the signed copy tomorrow when I have more time. I have carefully read this sampler and the new novel looks to be fantastic. Can't wait till it gets published.

[IMG][/IMG]

My Mood
    Sleepy
    Country
    Country Flag

OMG i want one of those!!! Really hoping that when the book eventually comes out he will do a signing or two!?

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

I got to meet Mr. Herbert at the World Horror Convention when it was in Brighton last year and got him to sign my copy of Dark Dreamers, which is my "autograph book." He was charming, drank absinthe during his afternoon signing session and put me in mind of a classic Doctor Who!

My Mood
    Sleepy
    Country
    Country Flag

Very jealous again!

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Tito_Villa View Post
    OMG i want one of those!!! Really hoping that when the book eventually comes out he will do a signing or two!?
    Tom, e-mail the publisher and ask for one. That's how I got one of mine, although it was over a year a go now.

Here is my other copy signed at horrorcon last year:

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

When ONCE... was published, they decided to go with a black dustjacket and a variant white dustjacket (same kind of thing they did with the UK edition of Black House). For some reason I have never really understood, there seems to be a lot more signed copies with the white dustjacket than there is with the black. I got a signed "white cover" copy pretty easily (will post a pic later, along with the signed, limited, numbered white proof) but it took me a while to grab a signed "black cover" 1st/1st.

My Mood
    Sleepy
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks Alan i will defo give it a go!

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

The film based on The Rats is terrible. Truly awful. When it was released in the US they renamed the film Deadly Eyes for some reason, and here is the movie tie-in paperback.

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

A Signet ARC Proof of The Dark

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast