Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: The Collectible Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

The 1998 Easton Press signed SLAUGHTERHOUSE 5:

I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

This was just released:

I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

KURT VONNEGUT - LETTERS, edited by Dan Wakefield, Delacorte Press, October 2012:

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I hadn't heard of that book. How is it?
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

I'm 2 to 3 years behind in my reading, so I'll let you know in 2014 or 2015. Maybe I'll even have my lettered WOMAN and SCREAMPLAYS from CD by then! (But I doubt it)

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I won't hold my breath then.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

A 'new' Vonnegut (formerly an e-book or something like that), now in paperback. (I think this book might be about me!) EDIT - I should probably retract that statement, but what the hell, I'll let it stand.

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Interesting. The display is pretty impressive too.

Two Gunslingers Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ur2ndbiggestfan View Post
    A 'new' Vonnegut (formerly an e-book or something like that), now in paperback. (I think this book might be about me!) EDIT - I should probably retract that statement, but what the hell, I'll let it stand.

PJF
    Wanted
    CD Carrie Portfolio 719
    Dark Tower S/N LE's 171 or 203
    ANY Stephen King S/N LE #171 or 719

A Storm of Swords #218 or 346
    Ancillary Justice #455
    American Gods (+ SC Reader copy) #624

Michael Whelan original art
    DT VII: Michael Whelan Remarque

Farmer (one of my two favorite authors) and Vonnegut go together very well.

World Leader Pretend Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Just ordered the new Cat's Cradle S/L from Easton Press.
    Slipcased and numbered out of 500 copies.
    Mark Twain

I ordered one of those CAT'S CRADLEs too.

Two recent Vonnegut paperbacks. WE ARE WHAT WE PRETEND TO BE has a holographic cover which makes photographing it difficult, and the other, I think, is a print on demand book:

Traveler Dutch is on a distinguished road

Hello, I also just purchased Cats Cradle from Easton and have a question you may be able to help me with. Seeing that Vonnegut has been gone for some 6 years now, how exactly does EP still release autographed, new editions of his (KV) work? I am assuming they had him sign thousands of blank pages while he was still living and now they sew these pages into the books they manufacture years later. Is that correct? Also, taking into consideration that he really never signed the book as a separate entity, but only a page that was later attached to the book, how much effect does this have on the collectability of the book itself? I also purchased SlaughterHouse-Five from EP back in '98 when it was first released and was under the assumption that Vonnegut signed the book itself. Was I wrong here as well? And is this how signed editions from the other presses are made? Thanks in advance for clearing all of this up for me!

World Leader Pretend Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

I believe most/all publishers send a stack of limitation pages to the author for signing and later bind them into the finished book.
    It's far cheaper to ship one box of signature pages to the author than it is to ship several hundred books or fly them in and put them up in a hotel.

I assume Easton must have had a contract with him that involved him signing a large number of pages at some point, and they are now using those for new editions.
    I don't really see either point having a negative effect on the value. The signature is good and the limitation page is numbered, that's what counts.
    Mark Twain

Traveler Dutch is on a distinguished road

Default Thanks

Thanks for the reply Scoogs. I've been collecting signed books for about 15 years now and never thought of the authors signing pages only. Always pictured them sitting at a kitchen table or something with a big stack of books around them. Does make much more sense signing the pages first before they are inserted into the finished product. Just not as personal I guess.
    Thanks again!

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Scoogs View Post
    #121 arrived today. Hopefully I'll have a chance to post some photos in the next couple of days. The signature is tipped into/onto the limitation page, which looks better than it sounds.
    It's a really nice edition overall as expected from Easton. The book is also larger than I expected it to be.
    Mark Twain

#121 arrived today. Hopefully I'll have a chance to post some photos in the next couple of days. The signature is tipped into/onto the limitation page, which looks better than it sounds.
    It's a really nice edition overall as expected from Easton. The book is also larger than I expected it to be.
    Mine arrived also. It is a large, heavy book, delivered by FedEx. Very nice, but unfortunately in impregnable shrinkwrap! I wonder what number it is?

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Maybe it's missing that page...

Mine arrived also. It is a large, heavy book, delivered by FedEx. Very nice, but unfortunately in impregnable shrinkwrap! I wonder what number it is?

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Staad View Post
    Maybe it's missing that page...

"A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

Keep that talk up and I might have to really open it! I didn't remember the book was so expensive; four payments of $69 each.

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

We all know you are just a tease.

Keep that talk up and I might have to really open it! I didn't remember the book was so expensive; four payments of $69 each.

Here's a picture of the slipcase, at least:

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Here's a picture of the slipcase, at least:

Supergirl looks distraught that you haven't freed your book from its plastic prison yet.
    Mark Twain

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

I added photos of Cat's Cradle to my collection thread if anyone wants to see what it looks like out of the plastic.
    Mark Twain

I will probably not have as many toys and statues to take pictures of any more, since my comic book store went out of business and absconded with almost $500 of my hard earned money....sigh, I 'll never learn.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast