Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: The Collectible Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Very nice!

I knew about the Easton and Franklin editions of S/L's of his work, but I didn't realize that other publishers produced S/L editions as well (Putnam, Delacorte, etc.).

On a side note, I once held a signed U.S. 1st Edition of Breakfast of Champions (in the Rare Book Room at Powell's Books in Portland, Oregon). It was beautiful thing, but the price was way over my budget.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

JAILBIRD:
    The Franklin Library 1st edition with original box
    1st US hardcover
    Delacorte Press S/N edition of 500
    1st UK hardcover
    paper bag promoting US paperback
    1st UK paperback
    1st US paperback

I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

Breaker Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

House trained and a great cook, wanna reconsider that adoption? Don't make me off Angelina Jolie to move up on the list
    Wish List:
    Any of the following flatsigned or inscribed-
    It, Shining, Salem’s Lot, Mr. Mercedes, The Stand
    Brother ARC, Seed ARC

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I have a very modest collection of Easton Press S/L editions of Vonnegut's work.

I am building this collection very slowly but can imagine branching out at some point down the road.

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

Love those Easton Press books! Now you've given me the urge to pick up the ones I don't have, but I just got my summer taxes bill and for some reason the state frowns if you don't pay it on time!
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

SLAPSTICK or LONESOME NO MORE!

1st US hardcover
    Delacorte Press one of 250 S/N copies
    Frankling Library 1st Edition (although it didn't come out first this time!)
    1st US trade paperback
    2nd printing, 1978, UK paperback (for some reason I never got the 1977 1st papberback)
    1st US paperback

Weedeater Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa's Avatar

My Mood
    Sleepy
    Country
    Country Flag

I really like that cover!

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Pay your taxes, man! Then go get yourself that UK 1st paperback of SLAPSTICK. It's absence from your collection is positively glaring.

Personally I'd like to get all the Easton S/L's, then the other publisher's S/L's, then maybe the Franklin S/L's, and 1st editions of BREAKFAST OF CHAMPIONS and SLAUGHTERHOUSE-FIVE. I doubt I'll ever amass all that, but it's fun to imagine.

In the meantime, I live vicariously through your collection.

Quote Originally Posted by daveblog View Post
    Hi

For those of you that collect Kurt Vonnegut, Easton Press is releasing a new deluxe signed limited edition of Slaughterhouse five. It looks to be a nice edition with a slipcase. here is a link to the page from the recent catalog.

http://v.eastonpresscatalog.com/0033.asp#catalog

I ordered one and am looking forward to adding it to my Vonnegut collection.
    Quote Originally Posted by ur2ndbiggestfan View Post
    I ordered the SLAUGHTERHOUSE FIVE too. ...
    Has anyone received this yet? What do you think?
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

John F. Kennedy daveblog is on a distinguished road

Hi

I received this in the mail from Kurt Vonnegut after his appearance on The Daily Show with Jon Stewart

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

WOW! That is amazing, Dave. You must have really made an impression on him.

Oh my God! (Vonnegut, being a humanist would laugh at that expression but I can't think of a better way to put it) I love that drawing!

I didn't receive the Easton Press Slaughterhouse Five yet, but I did get the bill and sent my first payment in.

FATES WORSE THAN DEATH:
    1st US hardcover
    Putnam, one of 200 copies S/N edition
    1st UK hardcover
    1st US trade paperback

PALM SUNDAY:
    Delacorte S/L one of 500
    1st US hardcover
    1st UK hardcover
    1st US trade paperback
    1st US paperback

When Kurt Vonnegut was a guest on The Daily Show, He pulled a piece of paper from his pocket to read from. You can see the interview here

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/tu...xrs=share_copy

Well, I ended up receiving that piece of paper that not only had his printed notes, but also his hand written ones and cross outs.

After some conversations with his print maker, it was turned into a print (sorry for the crap photos)

It is probably the most cherished thing I have

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Again, great stuff, guys!

Easton Press Limited Editions

I came across this eBay article that discusses the Easton Press editions of Vonnegut's work to be useful. There are some book title misspelling and it lacks the two most recent releases, but information like the identifiers for the older signed vs. unsigned books is educational, at least for novices like me.

http://reviews.ebay.com/Easton-Press-Guide-to-Books-by-Kurt-Vonnegut-Jr_W0QQugidZ10000000003837106

See also: http://www.leatherboundtreasure.com/author/vonnegut_kurt.html

Here is a cleaner, updated list of the Easton Press editions:

01) Player Piano - SIGNED

02) The Sirens of Titan - SIGNED
    03) The Sirens of Titan (Masterpieces of Science Fiction) - SIGNED
    04) The Sirens of Titan (Masterpieces of Science Fiction) unsigned

05) Mother Night - SIGNED

06) Cat's Cradle - SIGNED

07) God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater - SIGNED

08 ) Welcome to the Monkey House - SIGNED

09) Slaughterhouse Five – SIGNED
    10) Slaughterhouse Five (Great Books 20th Century) unsigned
    11) Slaughterhouse Five – SIGNED (2011 Slipcase Deluxe Limited Edition of 850)

12) Breakfast of Champions – SIGNED

13) Slapstick - SIGNED

14) Galapagos - SIGNED

15) Bluebeard - SIGNED

16) Timequake - SIGNED FIRST EDITION

17) Bagombo Snuff Box - SIGNED FIRST EDITION

18 ) Fates Worse Than Death - SIGNED FIRST EDITION

19) God Bless You Dr. Kevorkian - SIGNED FIRST EDITION

20) A Man Without A Country - SIGNED

21) Look at The Birdie - SIGNED FIRST EDITION (Limited Edition of 1000)

22) While Mortals Sleep – SIGNED

If anyone has one, I would be interested in seeing a list of the Franklin editions, and the Signed/Limited editions released by other publishers as well.
    Last edited by Patrick; 07-09-2011 at 01:47 PM. Reason: added a second weblink

Dave, you continue to amaze me!

That is an interesting Easton Press list. Some I knew of and some I did not. It's also strange that I have gaps in my collection. For instance I do not have the TIMEQUAKE signed edition but I did get GOD BLESS YOU, DR. KEVORKIAN. Either EP didn't send me fliers on them or they sold out before I knew about them. Must try filling those missing slots in soon!

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

The following is based on Steve's posts of his impressive Vonnegut collection, and on other sources.

What others should be on this list?

Signed/Limited editions by publishers other than Easton or Franklin

Putnam:

BLUEBEARD, limited edition of 500

HOCUS POCUS, limited edition of 250

FATES WORSE THAN DEATH, limited edition of 200

BAGOMBO SNUFF BOX, issued with gray slipcase, limited edition of 175

TIMEQUAKE, limited edition of 225 copies,

TIMEQUAKE, specially bound and signed for friends in a glassine envelope dust jacket, limited edition of (small quantity)

Delacorte Press:

GALAPAGOS, limited edition of 500

DEADEYE DICK, limited edition of 350

JAILBIRD, limited edition of 500

SLAPSTICK or LONESOME NO MORE!, limited edition of 250

PALM SUNDAY, limited edition of 500

Nouveau Press: (for the Mississippi Civil Liberties Union 1984)

NOTHING IS LOST SAVE HONOR, limited edition of 40
    - printed on Japanese Etching & quarterbound in cloth over boards with leather spine and corners

NOTHING IS LOST SAVE HONOR, limited edition of 300
    - in cloth and hand marbeled paper over boards

Finally, one that I haven't seen mentioned yet (and that I would love to own):

Origami Express:

MISSING IN ACTION
    Signed Book, Limited Edition of 100

This hand-made signed limited edition book is the May 29, 1945 letter written home by PFC Kurt Vonnegut, Jr., concerning the events of the death-defying months after he was taken prisoner of war on December 19, 1944. Vonnegut's searing and wry recounting of that experience laid the foundation for his classic novel Slaughterhouse-Five. An edition of 100 numbered copies, signed and dated in ink by Kurt Vonnegut on May 29, 2004. This edition includes a bound-in, hand-pulled silkscreen of "Kilgore Trout", titled and signed in pencil by Kurt Vonnegut. Published by Origami Express, May 29, 2004 — 49 years to the day he originally wrote the letter. Text was hand-set in Joseph Blumenthal's Emerson type and printed by Larkspur Press, on a hand-fed C&P letterpress on heavy warm white Rising Stonehenge cotton deckled paper. Half-bound and corners in brown Nigerian goatskin, hand-made marble papered boards, slipcased in Record Basalt cloth and spine gold gilding. Book dimensions: 9 x 1/2 x 11 inches. Price: $1,000.
    Last edited by Patrick; 07-09-2011 at 01:39 PM. Reason: list update

DEADEYE DICK - 350 copies
    GALAPAGOS - 500 copies

NOTHING IS LOST SAVE HONOR - Nouveau Press for the Mississippi Civil Liberties Union 1984

And as far as I can tell, TIMEQUAKE was not published by Easton Press, but by Putnam in an edition of 225 copies, in addition to a small number specially bound and signed for friends in a glassine envelope dust jacket.

Some later Vonnegut and THE VONNEGUT STATEMENT

here is another for the list. again sorry for the crappy picture

Bagombo Snuff Box
    publisher is Putnam
    175 signed and numbered copies, this one is 121
    also has a gray slipcase

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks for the additional info, guys. I updated the list posted above.

I like that edition, Dave!

Quote Originally Posted by ur2ndbiggestfan View Post
    And as far as I can tell, TIMEQUAKE was not published by Easton Press, but by Putnam in an edition of 225 copies, in addition to a small number specially bound and signed for friends in a glassine envelope dust jacket.
    According to these guys, Easton published TIMEQUAKE in 1997 as part of Easton's "Signed First Editions" series.

Perhaps both Easton and Putnam published signed editions...

Yup, I stand corrected on the TIMEQUAKE editions. Two more to add to my list. Oh yeah, must also add the two Bagombo Snuff Boxes to my list. I remember calling Easton Press when I got the flier for Snuff Box and was told it was already sold out. I was kind of mad, but I'm ok now.

THE SIRENS OF TITAN &
    CANARY IN A CATHOUSE:

1st US hardcover SIRENS; I guess this is a somewhat rare book, but the price isn't just clipped on this copy, the whole section of dust jacket with the price on it was cut out vertically! Whoever did that - shame on you!
    Easton Press hardcover
    Canary hardcover from Buccaneer Books, library binding, bought in 2000
    SIRENS 1st US paperback
    SIRENS 1st UK paperback
    SIRENS 1st Dell New Edition November 1966
    SIRENS 1st Dell New Edition January 1970
    SIRENS 12th paperback printing (this is the one I bought first and read before Vonnegut collecting fever took hold. And even though I read it it's still in mint condition!)
    CANARY 1st US paperback September 1961, MINT!
    same as above VG condition

I received the new signed/limited of Slaughterhouse Five today. I don't have any pictures yet, but here is a link to photos of the book on another site. http://www.librarything.com/topic/120438

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Looks good. What's your impression?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast