56. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

26 46.43%
  • No

30 53.57%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Roland's choice *HARD spoilers*

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

A cheerful man...

Roland would have understood.

Citizen of Gilead TerribleT is on a distinguished road TerribleT's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

[quote=TerribleT;88931]
    Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TerribleT View Post
    I'll bet she's blushing!!!!
    I have known him for long so I am not.

Guys, let's go back to the topic, okay?
    So, for me it's quite strange that someone finds this book boring but all the DT books are quite unique so it's not a shock if someone doesn't like one of them (or some of them).
    Well, i don't know if you noticed or not, but the topic you were originally trying to steer this thread back to, was not the topic of the thread. Not that it matters to me, mind you, but just sayin....
    It's stressful being an other. ~ Juliet

I believe there ought to be a Constitutional Amendment outlawing Astroturf and the designated hitter. ~ Crash Davis

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I have edited that post of mine already.

Along the Path of the Beam timtempest6 is on a distinguished road timtempest6's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Not just yet, seeing as how i brought it up i must defend my comment. Roland went into the pink one befor he went to eyebolt, and he was given a choice. read page 581 of the hardcover or chapter 10 sub 10. now i will try to stop siring the pot

West Coast sarah is on a distinguished road sarah's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Ok, so I finally voted. I've been keeping track of this thread but unable to vote. I voted yes. Yes, I would have dropped Jake if I was Roland and his position.
    It all worked out in the end anyways...right?

Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa
    Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa

sugarpop <3

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by maerlyn View Post
    Ok, so I finally voted. I've been keeping track of this thread but unable to vote. I voted yes. Yes, I would have dropped Jake if I was Roland and his position.
    What convinced you?

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by timtempest6 View Post
    Not just yet, seeing as how i brought it up i must defend my comment. Roland went into the pink one befor he went to eyebolt, and he was given a choice. read page 581 of the hardcover or chapter 10 sub 10. now i will try to stop siring the pot
    Don't worry about the pot

I think that is a valid point, I thought I remembered him actively choosing the Tower.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

I have a different perspective to give (as usual). What I would do, would be to lift Jake up so that he can get ahold of something and then begin to tickle him until he couldn't stand it anymore, laughing so hard, he has to let go and then fall to his death.
    Thats what I would do if I were Roland.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

West Coast sarah is on a distinguished road sarah's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by maerlyn View Post
    What convinced you?

It wasn't so much as convincing as it was just thinking it through. I didn't want to jump in and vote without thinking about it first.

Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa
    Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa

sugarpop <3

Gunslinger Apprentice JQ The Gunslinger is on a distinguished road JQ The Gunslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I would of let Jake drop if I was Roland at the time. Because in the beginning of the series/book he made crystal clear he will choose the tower over friends (he even says this at one point in the series, maybe not Gunslinger) I think later on the series he starts lovin his katet more than just pawns in Chess/Castle. But if I had his postion then, Jake would of been falling all the same.

The White! MonteGss is on a distinguished road MonteGss's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by All_Hail_The_Crimson_King View Post
    I have a different perspective to give (as usual). What I would do, would be to lift Jake up so that he can get ahold of something and then begin to tickle him until he couldn't stand it anymore, laughing so hard, he has to let go and then fall to his death.
    Thats what I would do if I were Roland.

Ok...so I know this was posted a while ago but I just saw it and thought it was pretty damned funny.

Citizen of Gilead blackrose22 is on a distinguished road blackrose22's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Roland might have thought well if doesn't die here Jake will die somewhere else down the line like all the people he knew and cared about. It was just one more life in the long line who had died on his quest for the tower. If he failed to reach the tower and prevent its destruction all life would die so he sacrificed Jake to prevent this. And as far as myself saving Jake I think self preservation would have kicked in and let him drop. Not much point in trying to save one and falling and dying yourself and then letting the tower and all known life be destroy for one moment of heroics.

Traveler The Walkin Dude is on a distinguished road

Sorry, Jake's just gotta go. He'll come back anyhow.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by The Walkin Dude View Post
    Sorry, Jake's just gotta go. He'll come back anyhow.
    But at that time you cannot know that he will come back, sai.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Somewhere back in this thread I said it was a "good point" that Roland had already let Susan die for the Tower, why not Jake?

I would personally not drop him no matter how bad off the Tower was (I believe this is the point of the story) but the good point I was talking about is that it wasn't a surprise that he would choose the Tower over Jake.

Even though that's a bad choice

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Somewhere back in this thread I said it was a "good point" that Roland had already let Susan die for the Tower, why not Jake?

I would personally not drop him no matter how bad off the Tower was (I believe this is the point of the story) but the good point I was talking about is that it wasn't a surprise that he would choose the Tower over Jake.

Even though that's a bad choice

Do we really know that he let Susan die for the Tower, though? It's not as if the crystal showed him what was happening until it was too late. There might be something in the comics that I missed. I only own the first issue of the first arc, so I could be missing something critical. I think he believes that he let Susan die, but the way I read W&G is that by the time Roland saw what was going on, it was far too late to do anything. Events had progressed to the point that there was no saving anyone. It's not as if he dropped her.

I've not yet voted because I want to be sure that I understand the question. If I were Roland, of course I would let Jake drop. If I were me, I'm not sure I would be in exactly the circumstances that Roland was to face that choice. Walter would've been long dead. Seriously, though, it would be a difficult choice, but you know... Jake was rather annoying in book one.
    It'll take a lot more than words and guns,
    A whole lot more than riches and muscle.

The hands of the many must join as one.
    And together we'll cross the river.

Puscifer, "The Humbling River"

Country
    Country Flag

Why was Jake annoying to you?

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

It's more of a reflection on me than on Jake. I'm not a kid person. I'm so not a kid person that I made sure I won't ever have one. However, I understand exactly why he acted the way he did. He'd been through a great trauma, what with dying and all, and was going through another at the time. Knowing what we know now about Jake possessing the touch, he undoubtedly felt his impending second death. So while he was perfectly justified, I would've been hugely annoyed. I think I missed out on the patience gene. It is the reason that I chose not to go into teaching.

By the way, when I am around kids IRL, I do not show this. Well, as a rule. In fact, kids seem to love me. It's freaky.

Go ahead. Pelt me with tomatoes.

Country
    Country Flag

But Jake didn't act like a kid, did he? Not like a typical kid.

My Mood
    Worried

See, that's what I mean about it being more about me. He probably wasn't excessively whiny, and I do understand he certainly had reasons - unlike a kid crying over a dropped ice cream.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Woofer View Post
    See, that's what I mean about it being more about me. He probably wasn't excessively whiny, and I do understand he certainly had reasons - unlike a kid crying over a dropped ice cream.
    I see, thank you for the explanation.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Woofer: it must be that we're not human, neither of us... I don't like kids, either (though they do like me for some unfathomable reason); I do like to read about kids, though (for some other unfathomable reason), but I didn't like Jake anyway - he is my least favorite of the Ka-tet - maybe precisely because to my mind he was not depicted as a real kid. His horrible experience might indeed have had something to do with that - namely, that sai King tried his best to imagine a kid who would go through such set of circumstanses, and somehow failed, as a result presenting him as a conglomerate of kid and adult features

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Banned obscurejude is on a distinguished road

Interesting points Jean. I have often felt that we (as the reader)
    Spoiler:
    being able to accept Jake as a gunslinger at the end of Wolves is a little premature. He is not my least favorite of the tet though.
    Last edited by sarah; 05-09-2008 at 01:22 PM. Reason: edited my maerlyn for spoiler in a future book.

Traveler SpektR is on a distinguished road

goddamn! I think ill vacate till i finish the story. Bye

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

hahahahahah

Probably a good idea SpektR--we should have some forums on whatever book you are up to though.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast