Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Truth and Fiction

Fuck Adumbros is on a distinguished road Adumbros's Avatar

My Mood
    Brooding

what i know is that i'm fuckin hungry

Gunslinger Apprentice The Road Virus will become famous soon enough The Road Virus will become famous soon enough The Road Virus's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

haha me too. I'm on a fast to try to be slim (but I f'in need something) for when the g/f comes/ my bday (last night I kind of made yesterday not count cuz I had 8 beers and like 28 tostinos pizza bites )
    "If you accept the expectations of others, especially negative ones, then you will never change the outcome" -Michael Jordan

My Mood
    Brooding

fuck that if God meant us to be skinny He wouldn't have provided so much food now if i can only decide between ramen noodles and wetf else there is in this house might surprise my better half by makin dinner since she's @ work til 7

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm not certain if I agree or how much. Too many possible meanings to "Write what you know." I do agree that "Left Behind" is a good example of overly contrived fiction, (but please don't assume that I'm down with every word of that post) and yet some amount of contrivance is indespensible to any writing. (Even a private diary, lol.) Maybe I should re-read On Writing again and then get back you guys.

My Mood
    Brooding

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    I'm not certain if I agree or how much. Too many possible meanings to "Write what you know." I do agree that "Left Behind" is a good example of overly contrived fiction, (but please don't assume that I'm down with every word of that post) and yet some amount contrivance is indespensible to any writing. (Even a private diary, lol.) Maybe I should re-read On Writing again and then get back you guys.
    the bread and butter of the quote is "don't try to bullshit people" or "keep it real", etc. in other words, don't try to write a story about a guy who hates slaughterfarmers ownin a fuckin burger joint or some such.

Gunslinger Apprentice The Road Virus will become famous soon enough The Road Virus will become famous soon enough The Road Virus's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

I would def like to see what your thoughts are when you are done with the re-read. I don't know, King says you go to the depths of your mind. That it is like unearthing a huge fossil and it is like writer's job to bring it out as intact as possible. In the same vein of keeping it real, I think when writers deliberately hammer in things that don't belong most adept/seasoned readers can spot it as foreign, it comes off preachy/forced etc.
    "If you accept the expectations of others, especially negative ones, then you will never change the outcome" -Michael Jordan

My Mood
    Brooding

precisely. it's be like, ok, basically...the focal character of my long-dormant tale is dark in ways that few published fiction authors have ever explored. say i had this guy stopping to help a wounded dog on the side of the road (granted, there is a certain species of animal he has something of a soft spot for, but it sure as hell ain't no dog). fans would take one glance at that sentence and be like WTF MAN HE'D EAT THAT FUCKIN MUTT! ALIVE!!!

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

And what's the point of that? Does something happen in the book that makes it worth reading? Maybe you don't want to spoil it... I'm just asking if you've given thought to what it is about. Don't get me wrong; I mean, I like dark fiction more than standard stuff ... when it has a meaning. Believe me, I'm not trying to say that there should be a normal hero and a happy ending; that's usually totally fake and boring. Give me a book that shows that in reality the kind of people we think of as good guys can often be sadisitc themselves and it will make an impression. I think that work that makes a mockery of conventional morals is good: most of us are too secure in that morality, IMO, with no real reason. But I don't care about violence for the sake of violence or anything like that. Why should I?

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

I just don't think that, if we're starting with the questions "What does fiction mean? What makes a good story?" that "Keep it real!" is very helpful. It leaves practically the same unclarity. -- "What does real mean? What makes a real story?"
    How about this theory? The best themes are (or include) matters which the author himself doesn't fully understand. In reality, we all have subjects that mystify us, if we're honest at all. The writer of fiction who assumes that he has all of the anwers on the most important questions makes his readers feel talked down to. Good enough if the message which a book has is basically just one or more hanging questions. Almost everybody can identify with someone writing what he doesn't quite know.

John F. Kennedy rosered is on a distinguished road rosered's Avatar

My Mood
    Confused

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    I just don't think that, if we're starting with the questions "What does fiction mean? What makes a good story?" that "Keep it real!" is very helpful. It leaves practically the same unclarity. -- "What does real mean? What makes a real story?"
    How about this theory? The best themes are (or include) matters which the author himself doesn't fully understand. In reality, we all have subjects that mystify us, if we're honest at all. The writer of fiction who assumes that he has all of the anwers on the most important questions makes his readers feel talked down to. Good enough if the message which a book has is basically just one or more hanging questions. Almost everybody can identify with someone writing what he doesn't quite know.
    I like your point. I totally like your point, in fact. I think that fictions, more than have a moral message, should make the reader make questions. Of what? I don't really know. I don't think make your character say your opinions it's neither good or bad: even if they're your characters, they don't allways have to have the same way of viewing the world as the autor. And, in fact, how does the autor himself/herself, knows that his judgements are right, or are correct? That's even a bigger problem. One of my favorite autors, Ernesto Sábato, said that his characters were shadows that fight againts themselfs or with him. Argentine autor, Julio Cortazar, said that "there are no messages, there are messangers". It's quite a point where it's very difficult to get a conclusion...Like all in life HAHAHHA.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2