Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Hearts and Hearts in Atlantis *SPOILERS*

Gunslinger Apprentice Harrald is on a distinguished road Harrald's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

:radioactive: Hearts and Hearts in Atlantis *SPOILERS*

I’m just about done with “Hearts in Atlantis”. Without spoiling to much, I was wondering if the second story could be appreciated if you didn’t ever play hearts for money? I played for about 2 years at one of the places I worked. We played about 2 hours a night.

I loved the game so much I started honing my skills on Yahoo and at one point was in the top 5 players. It paid off too. I went back to the place I used to work and played 2 hands. On the second hand I shot the moon.

I haven’t played in years. Maybe I’ll teach the guys that work with me how to play. Not for money though.
    Insert witty comment here.

Demon of the Prim Ruki is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

i've never played hearts at all but i psychotically love that story. it sort of reminds me of my obsession with skipping school to get high and play mortal kombat.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'd been playing Hearts long before I read the story (am, in fact, playing it right now with three computer opponents), and it still bored me to death.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Citizen of Gilead tamez is on a distinguished road tamez's Avatar

:rose:

i do not like card games... or any games really...
    and i liked the story.
    for me in college, hanging out with my friends
    getting drunk and shit was why i didn't do my work
    so there were familiar things about that part of the book
    although, the first story is my fave.
    There are other worlds than these.
    "You brought your bitch to the Waffle Hut?"

"(859): You were wearing a sombrero. And a crown. And told me to use the nerf gun to protect your room from the cat. You don't have a cat."
    ~ texts from last night

West Coast sarah is on a distinguished road sarah's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I loved hearts in Atlantis. I was so swept up in the story that I could barely put the book down when I had to attend to the real world. I played hearts before but appreciated the game much more after reading the story.

Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa
    Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa

sugarpop <3

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maerlyn View Post
    I loved hearts in Atlantis. I was so swept up in the story that I could barely put the book down when I had to attend to the real world. I played hearts before but appreciated the game much more after reading the story.
    Same here, not including the part about playing Hearts, which I would never do because I hate card games.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Gunslinger Apprentice Jorge will become famous soon enough Jorge will become famous soon enough Jorge's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheeky
    Country
    Country Flag

I read the book a few years ago and just recently decided to read it again. I had played hearts before, although never for money.

You know, come to think of it... the first time I read this book was my first year in college. And I'd skip a lot of classes to stay in my room and sleep/read. And because of that, my grades sucked ass. So I guess I really CAN relate to that story. Except I guess mine would be titled "Hearts in Atlantis in Atlantis." *rimshot*

Gunslinger Apprentice Harrald is on a distinguished road Harrald's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I can understand why a DT fan would like the first story. It's like a fix for a DT junkie. (The main reason I read it)

I've only got a few pages left and must say I enjoyed this book more than I would have thought. The rest of the stories are not what I had expected. Just goes to show how King can turn his stories into an web that connects at odd angles.

Quote Originally Posted by tamez View Post
    <<SNIP>>the first story is my fave.
    Insert witty comment here.

The White! MonteGss is on a distinguished road MonteGss's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I don't really like playing cards either....except Poker.
    Loved Hearts in Atlantis though!

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Harrald View Post
    I can understand why a DT fan would like the first story. It's like a fix for a DT junkie. (The main reason I read it)
    Its one of my favorite Dark Tower related short stories, it and Everything's Eventual.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I've played Hearts off and on over the years, but never for money.

I loved the whole HIA book.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I read it years ago, and only read the first story and the last bit of the last story to find out what happened...I couldn't get into the other two stories at the time - but I'll give it a reread soon.

How do you play hearts?

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Darkthoughts View Post
    1. I read it years ago, and only read the first story and the last bit of the last story to find out what happened...I couldn't get into the other two stories at the time - but I'll give it a reread soon.

2. How do you play hearts?
    1. I only liked the first story, and some bits of the last. I strongly suspect the Men in the Yellow Coats are the only part I'll ever re-read.

2. Here.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks Jean

Breaker Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

I've never played it for money, just on my computer

I really liked the story even though the game isn't that great, at least to me

Rabid Billybumbler Ruthful is on a distinguished road Ruthful's Avatar

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

I loved about three-quarters of the collection.

Aside from Blind Willie-which was utterly absurd-and the last story I really enjoyed reading it. I loved the title story. I think it's interesting that he chose a more obscure card game, rather than something like poker, to build the story around.

Breaker Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Well said

Citizen of Gilead blackrose22 is on a distinguished road blackrose22's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I loved all the stories in Hearts in Atlantis and think it's one of SK best efforts. Only play Hearts on the computer and prefer Poker anyway.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I just reread this book and still couldn't really get into any of the stories apart from Low Men In Yellow Coats.

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

i've never played hearts and yet I love the title story in "Hearts in Atlantis." It's prob my fav story in the book [yes, even more than Ted's Connecticutt adventure].

Banned obscurejude is on a distinguished road

I read Low Men in Yellow Coats right before Wolves of the Calla came out. Needless to say, I didn't make it through the rest of Hearts until much later. When I went back and re read Low Men and the rest of the stories, I'd say I agree with Jayson.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Yes, HiA was good, I liked Pete and Stoke was intriguing - it was good to see Carol too. But I trudged through it at times.

it could be that it is, in part, an anti-war story that attracts me to it. part of it is also that i see a lot of one of my own years of college in the story, just substitute video golf for hearts and you have a similar situation of students forsaking their studies to bond playing games. of course we were not facing a draft should we fail [a very compelling element of that story] but we were still facing failure. it may not be everybody's fav story, but the titular story from Hearts in Atlantis is def up there on my list.

the thing is, i'm not sure how much i'd have liked Low Men were it not for the connections. it's a good story for sure, but without the greater context, i'm not sure i'd like it as much as i do.

Banned obscurejude is on a distinguished road

I really liked Ted's character. To be honest, I didn't know it was Dark Tower related until the very end. I had no idea- it was amazing for that reason. I read it in one sitting and missed class the next day. I found it a compelling story, and felt a lot personal similarities with Bobby and his mom. I also had a Ted figure in my life, but he wasn't a breaker- to my knowledge.

I liked the anti war element too Jayson. King is amazing at providing pointed arguments for or against something without ever having to explicitly say anything. The human spirit speaks volumes in his works. I read Hearts in one sitting too. It was so damn good.

Quote Originally Posted by obscurejude View Post
    ...King is amazing at providing pointed arguments for or against something without ever having to explicitly say anything. The human spirit speaks volumes in his works. I read Hearts in one sitting too. It was so damn good.
    agreed, he addresses issues like that in a way that reads as realistic rather than an argument for one "side" or another. i also read it all at once. i was unable to put it down. different strokes for different folken.

as for ted, i also didn't know until the end the first time through, but that's my point really, were it not for that, i don't know how many re-reads i'd have given it. i liked the story, though not bc of any personal identification with anyone in this one.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast