Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Hearts and Hearts in Atlantis *SPOILERS*

Gunslinger Apprentice lowdown is on a distinguished road lowdown's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

since my dad missed the draft by luck ....he told me all that hippy knowledge at a young age....it's one lottery you wouldn't wanna win ....http://www.sss.gov/lotter1.htm

I'm nonviolent with those who are nonviolent with me. But when you drop that violence on me, then you've made me go INSANE, and I'm not responsible for what I do

Malcolm X

Along the Path of the Beam rico567 is on a distinguished road

Default Hearts in Atlantis question

I've got a question about the segment in this book entitled "Low Men in Yellow Coats." I'm sure I could find out the answer in some reference, but given the level of knowledge in this forum, this might be quicker. Does anyone know the chronological sequence in King's work where "Low Men in Yellow Coats" was written, specifically in relation to the rest of the DT series?

I realize that this question may be in the wrong forum, since it is (in one sense) a DT question, but Hearts in Atlantis is not usually regarded as part of that oeuvre.....but on the other hand, I couldn't find any better place to list it.

Kingslayer John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

I'm gonna try to answer this off the top of my head.

Time is a weird concept in this series, as we all know, basing myself off the difference of the eras from which each of the Ka-Tet was drawn. However, Ted does at first think that Jake bears a strong resemblance to Bobby, but later dismisses it by thinking that Bobby is a man grown by then. So I'd say it was anywhere from 10-30 years before our Ka-Tet came barreling through that door into Thunderclap. In Ted's timeline, anyway.
    "So many vows. They make you swear and swear. Defend the King, obey the King, obey your father, protect the innocent, defend the weak. But what if your father despises the King? What if the King massacres the innocent? It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or another."

Traveler Bloodsoup is on a distinguished road Bloodsoup's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Hearts in Atlantis is my favourite King book and I've read it to bits, I can remember there are a few clues as to when it takes place in relation to DT. As John Blaze said, time is a weird thing in this series, and there are many ways to look at chronological order. You might ask when it is taking place according to Roland's timeline or Ted's timeline or even Bobby or Carol's timeline. My guess is you're interested in Roland's timeline, and for that there's a good link, when Ted says to the Can-Toi after mentioning a Gunslinger (Roland) that "he and his friends have reached the borderland of End-World", which puts Low Men in Yellow Coats around the start of Wolves of the Calla or thereabouts.

John Blaze: I'd say it was anywhere from 10-30 years before our Ka-Tet came barreling through that door into Thunderclap. In Ted's timeline, anyway.
    That's about right, for Ted it was many years, this is possible because it is stated in DT VII: part 2, chapter 7, section 5 that Ted is not from Keystone Earth, which means travel between the the HiA version of Earth and All-World can go backwards and forwards in terms of when.
    "The Marsten House - A great place to hang!"

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

These guys are right, and your question isn't very clear. If you mean, by asking for "the chronological sequence in King's work where 'Low Men in Yellow Coats' was written" that you'd like to know when the RL author wrote it, actually, that is much easier to answer. Is that it, at all?

Traveler augella13 is on a distinguished road augella13's Avatar

I do not remember the name of the character, but I still think about this character every couple times a month.

It is they guy that was playing "chase the bitch" in college and then in Vietnam.

He is always there.

Kingslayer John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

Ronnie Malenfant? what about him?
    "So many vows. They make you swear and swear. Defend the King, obey the King, obey your father, protect the innocent, defend the weak. But what if your father despises the King? What if the King massacres the innocent? It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or another."

Traveler Jack Lee is on a distinguished road Jack Lee's Avatar

Didn't Ted say that when he returned from his "Conn. Adventure" there was a change in the leadership, that a new boss (Pimli) was in charge? Then in Pimli's mind he was going over his stay in Pleasantville; that he arrived there when he was around fifty, some "twenty five years" ago. Doesn't that mean that Ted's summer in 1960 lasted 25 years in End-World?

John F. Kennedy Lowmen45 is on a distinguished road Lowmen45's Avatar

Default Hearts in Atlantis *Book 1* LOWMEN ONLY *NO spoliers past first story please*

One of Kings best by far.

One of the only King books that could make my eyes swell.

One of the best written novels by King, showing the talent for emotional wretching dialog he is capable of writting.

Hitting the nail on the head , concerning typical greedy, superficial women, in the worst way. Almost yelled at Bobbies mom in the page as I was reading. What a cunt. Belongs in California, along with all the other greedy, superficial cunts Ive dated in my 29 years. Outstanding writting, with obvious homework done concernig a boy in that situation. Believe me when i tell you, Its pretty damm realistic.

I must say this, I cant fucking believe this was placed on some of your "Worst King Books" list. Im not one to rag on others opinion, lord knows I give mine, and dont give a fuck if you dont like it. But for christ sake, this book is beautiful, and to put it up there with Tommyknockers is beyond my comprehension.

And yes, Ive read every one of Kings Novels, multiple times for alot of them. And I owne them all. So yes, Ive done my homework. This was the one book I never had until recently, and never read or knew anything about it. I regret that, and at the same time Im pleased. Its like finding a diamond in your draw after years, just sitting there unfound. I prefer his horror books, mixed with emotional gripping situations, and Low Men delevers, not only with its connection to the TOWER series, but with its uncanny ability to rip your heart out of your chest, and hold in in front of your face.

HEARTs Has a MASSIVE HEART.

up there with "THE BODY" "GREEN MILE" "RITA AND SHAWSHANK" a true classic.

Silverloch John_and_Yoko will become famous soon enough John_and_Yoko's Avatar

My Mood
    Angelic

Quote Originally Posted by Lowmen45 View Post
    One of Kings best by far.

One of the only King books that could make my eyes swell.

One of the best written novels by King, showing the talent for emotional wretching dialog he is capable of writting.

Hitting the nail on the head , concerning typical greedy, superficial women, in the worst way. Almost yelled at Bobbies mom in the page as I was reading. What a cunt. Belongs in California, along with all the other greedy, superficial cunts Ive dated in my 29 years. Outstanding writting, with obvious homework done concernig a boy in that situation. Believe me when i tell you, Its pretty damm realistic.

I must say this, I cant fucking believe this was placed on some of your "Worst King Books" list. Im not one to rag on others opinion, lord knows I give mine, and dont a fuck if you dont like it. But for christ sake, this book is beautiful, and to put it up there with Tommyknockers is beyond my comprehension.

And yes, Ive read every one of Kings Novels, multiple times for alot of them. And I owne them all. So yes, Ive done my homework. This was the one book I never had until recently, and never read or knew anything about it. I regret that, and at the same time Im pleased. Its like finding a diamond in your draw after years, just sitting there unfound. I prefer his horror books, mixed with emotional gripping situations, and Low Men delevers, not only with its connection to the TOWER series, but with its uncanny ability to rip your heart out of your chest, and hold in in front of your face.

HEARTs Has a MASSIVE HEART.

up there with "THE BODY" "GREEN MILE" "RITA AND SHAWSHANK" a true classic.

Do I assume you haven't read the entirety of Hearts in Atlantis yet? If not, you really should. Especially if you loved "Low Men In Yellow Coats" that much.

John F. Kennedy Lowmen45 is on a distinguished road Lowmen45's Avatar

almost finished the book, on heavenly shades right now, love it. Again, some of his best work, in the drama books catagorey.

Horror favorites go to

To many to name

Sci FI / Fantasy

Dark Tower & Eyes of Dragon of cource.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Lowmen45 View Post
    almost finished the book <...>
    good; this thread will be merged, then

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Cool. So, now that it's merged, how do you feel about Hearts, Lowmen?

Along the Path of the Beam rico567 is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    These guys are right, and your question isn't very clear. If you mean, by asking for "the chronological sequence in King's work where 'Low Men in Yellow Coats' was written" that you'd like to know when the RL author wrote it, actually, that is much easier to answer. Is that it, at all?
    I'm prepared to learn anything i can on this subject but, yes, I would like to know when SK wrote HinA (specifically Low Men, of course) in relation to the sequence of the DT series, and not just where indicators in the text place it (this has already been answered to my satisfaction).

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Funny that I found this topic, regarding my favourite section of Hearts in Atlantis, namely the title story: even though I've never played Hearts, I loved this story, and funnily enough, very strongly could relate to it. Not that I have any clue how to play Hearts at all, but I know what it's like to go to college, feeling cocky about it because you got through high school easily, and then fucking it up by getting distracted, getting obsessed and being lazy. These days, I think the equivalent of something like Hearts for a lot of students would be spending way too much time on a computer getting distracted on facebook or computer games or whatever, but really distraction can apply to anything (trust me, as someone who prefers to write on paper rather than computers, I speak from experience). It's not the card game that was important to the story - not to me, anyway - but it just shows how easy it is for anyone to not only get addicted to anything, but how quickly that addiction can spread. Hearts in Atlantis was probably my favourite section - even moreso than Low Men in Yellow Coats.
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

Story List

•Blind Willie
    •Hearts in Atlantis
    •Heavenly Shades of Night are Falling
    •Low Men in Yellow Coats
    •Why We're In Vietnam
    Buddy, you think you look strong? You’re wearing a cape.

Gunslinger Apprentice beam*seeker will become famous soon enough beam*seeker's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by John Blaze View Post
    Ronnie Malenfant? what about him?
    WOnder where he is these days?
    People are always talking about truth.Everybody knows what the truth is,like it was toilet paper or somethin...All there is is bull*...One layer of bullshit on top of another...what you do in life...pick the layer of bull* that you prefer...

Gunslinger Apprentice BigSchu22 is on a distinguished road BigSchu22's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

This is kind of random, but does anyone know of a recipe for the spicy beans and ranks casserole thing that Ted makes for Bobby in Low Men? Google didn't come up with much. Thanks!

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

I just finished reading this book again and it has reaffirmed my opinion that it's the best SK book ever. I love the characters and I love the ending.

It's one generation off for me but I really connect with it for some reason.

Two things I noticed this time around. First off, Bobby, Carol and SJ are just about the same age as the kids in IT. Another one of my favorite books.

Second is the appearance of Randall Flagg under a different name. He goes by Raymond Fiegler and teaches Carol how to be "dim". He's the leader of the group she joins that planted the bomb that went off at the wrong time.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Gunslinger Apprentice mtdman has a spectacular aura about mtdman has a spectacular aura about mtdman's Avatar

My Mood
    Angry
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm re-listening to this book right now. I have mixed feelings about this book, and as soon as I finish tomorrow I have some thoughts. I will say, the actual HIA short story is well done, and King really puts you into the time, and makes you nostalgic for something you never experienced. I think that's my favorite of the stories in the book. I am not so enamored by the first story, Low Men. But HIA is very good. So is the story about Sully John, which is what I'm listening to now. Blind Willie has left me with a pile of questions, and I find that story the most intriguing of them all.

Banned Joka42 will become famous soon enough

Country
    Country Flag

I quite liked the book, although I can not know if an anthology or novel. Any help?

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I would say it is an anthology consisting of interrelated novellas / short stories.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

It's listed on the official Stephen King site as a collection.

John

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3