Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: The Great Smoking Debate

Breaker Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Again, I'm not for excluding anyone, It is your own choice.

Just wanted to clear that up

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkthoughts View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ZoNeSeeK View Post
    Nicotine should be a banned substance and it baffles me as to why its not.
    It puzzles me too.
    Because prohibition never works.
    True, though I meant it from the perspective of - how is it decided something like cannabis is illegal, but niccotine isn't.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

because cannabis ruins your brain, and nicotine doesn't (if anything, it enhances your brain's work, as some research has shown). It is bad for health, but please let's not exaggerate - it doesn't kill you directly any more than any other substance, barring solely natural (non-chemical) vitamines. If you want to ban nicotine, you might as well ban sugar (sweet death), salt (white death), conservants, colorants, saturated fats etc etc.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Ok, not nicotine in itself but cigarettes - they ruin your lungs etc, so why aren't they banned?

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm not sure "pot smoking" ruins your brain

But that might be another thread.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Ok, not nicotine in itself but cigarettes - they ruin your lungs etc, so why aren't they banned?
    the stuff I listed above ruins all your systems, why do we single out lungs? (Although the answer seems obvious, and I completely agree with Jimmy here: only because a scapegoat is needed.)

Banned Jimmy is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    because cannabis ruins your brain

Since when? Why wasn't I informed of this? I should've gotten the memo.

the stuff I listed above ruins all your systems, why do we single out lungs? (Although the answer seems obvious, and I completely agree with Jimmy here: only because a scapegoat is needed.)
    The sun damages our cells. We should get rid of it, pronto.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy View Post

Since I needed that "fact" as an argument, of course. You see, it's all the same as what we've already been talking about (namely, Kevin and me at the first page of this thread). I've been raised within a culture where all kinds of drugs are considered evil, and I've been fed lots of "scientific", "medical" evidence, as well as "statistics", showing very convincingly that yes, cannabis does kill brain cells. I have no idea whether or not it really does, just like nobody who has been fed the "information" about the horrible danger of smoking has any idea of how reliable it is.

Precisely. Likewise, not being born is the best (and the only) guarantee against premature, or any other, death.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

And on that last point, we totally agree.

Since I needed that "fact" as an argument, of course. You see, it's all the same as what we've already been talking about. I've been raised within a culture where all kinds of drugs are considered evil, and I've been fed lots of "scientific", "medical" evidence, as well as "statistics", showing very convincingly that yes, cannabis does kill brain cells. I have no idea whether or not it really does, just like nobody who has been fed the "information" about the horrible danger of smoking has any idea of how reliable it is.

Precisely. Likewise, not being born is the best (and the only) guarantee against premature, or any other, death.
    Brain cells grow back though.

I'm afraid of the future where haircuts are illegal because it infringes upon the rights of follicles to grow freely.

I'm even more afraid of ungroomed pubic regions in the future.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    And on that last point, we totally agree.
    you see, I just thought that it isn't even as funny as it appears. All that exaggerated concern about one's health at the expense of some traditional joys of life, making people avoid the dangers human living abounds in, ultimately leads to the peace and hygiene of a good modern crematorium. Not being born, or being already dead, is really the best way to avoid lung cancer, it's much more radical than non-smoking or even living in a rural area.

Demon of the Prim Ruki is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

I've been raised within a culture where all kinds of drugs are considered evil, and I've been fed lots of "scientific", "medical" evidence, as well as "statistics", showing very convincingly that yes, cannabis does kill brain cells.
    somebody's been lying to you marijuana actually helps with the development of new brain cells.

and hey this one is actually sorta on-topic cigarette smokers who also smoke weed are less likely to end up with cancer than those who don't smoke pot

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

So what do you guys think? This is the "great smoking debate" but do we need a separate conversation for smoking pot?

Goldmember Kevin will become famous soon enough Kevin will become famous soon enough Kevin's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post

I have also never gotten up in somenes face and tried to make them feel guilty or 'less of a person' as you put it.
    I've known several people that have died i automobile accidents. Do I try and push people to stop driving, even though it's a risk on their, and others' health?

NO.

And neither should you.
    I think I've been pretty clear that I dont push people to not smoke, and I dont think anyone in this thread has either. I want to learn more about both sides of the argument, hence the thread.

Matt, I think we can include pot in this discussion. Would you like me to change the blurb at the start?

Sorry this has been edited so many times, I'm tired and I cant seem to get my thoughts across all in one go.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    So what do you guys think? This is the "great smoking debate" but do we need a separate conversation for smoking pot?
    If this conversation has to take place, please let it be elsewhere. These are different subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruki View Post
    I've been raised within a culture where all kinds of drugs are considered evil, and I've been fed lots of "scientific", "medical" evidence, as well as "statistics", showing very convincingly that yes, cannabis does kill brain cells.
    somebody's been lying to you marijuana actually helps with the development of new brain cells.
    This is exactly the point I've been trying to make. Somebody has been lying to me about cannabis, and somebody else has been lying to my highly esteemed opponents about the dangers of smoking.

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post

Matt, I think we can include pot in this discussion. Would you like me to change the blurb at the start?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean
    If this conversation has to take place, please let it be elsewhere. These are different subjects

Hmmmm...

Last edited by Jean; 10-29-2007 at 08:45 AM. Reason: corrected the typo in my quote

I would suggest a seperate thread for pot. They're 2 completely different animals.

Goldmember Kevin will become famous soon enough Kevin will become famous soon enough Kevin's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

A new thread is fine with me, I'm just trying to conserve some space. They are two different issues though, they should probably be seperated.

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Sounds good to me, we'll stay on topic in here then and if anyone would like to discuss out favorite green monster, feel free to get it going.

we could change the name it to mark it as a cig conversation.

Country
    Country Flag

Somebody has been lying to me about cannabis, and somebody else has been lying to my highly esteemed opponents about the dangers of smoking.
    Compliments from Jean, O happy day!

Sounds good matt, a more specific name would be helpful to differentiate between the two.

Country
    Country Flag

...everybody is laughing at humble old bears.......

Not true. We're all friends here, are we not?

Country
    Country Flag

Not true. We're all friends here, are we not?
    Definitely.

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I actually totally agree with Jean. We have people that are worried about how much second hand smoke they are sucking up while at the same time living life in ways that are actually very dangerous.

I think its all about moderation. You can overdo anything and even too much food and water can kill you.

Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast