Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: The Collectible Clive Barker

Citizen of Gilead swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek's Avatar

My Mood
    Relaxed

In a failed attempt to keep me from taking him to court, Michael Autrey sent me this and a bunch of other Barker and King items.
    Bob,

I'm probably waaay out of line here, but this statement has stuck in head for a few days- any chance you'd be willing to elaborate? I met the guy only once, ages ago- in 1989 at the Pasadena Public Library where King was giving a talk (incidentally, this event is still one of the highlights of my life; it was when Sk was pretty much at his manic saturation "peak". It was a great talk and Q & A- I recorded it- and he inscribed my first edition Gunslinger which at the ripe old age of 22 cost me a small fortune. He even extended some great small talk about my Megadeth T-shirt, and smoothed out the Head Librarian Lady who chastised me for not having my book pre-opened to the spot I wanted him to sign. He was awesome). Autrey was a pretty big deal back then. Pretty much THE King dealer- he had EVERYTHING in his catalog. Don't think I ever bought a thing from him, but LOVED looking through his catalogs back then and drooling. Anyway, the short story (lol) is in that brief meeting at the Library all those years ago- the guy really rubbed me the wrong way. Just didn't care for hm right off the bat. He seems to have disappeared, so was just wondering when you had a problem with him, and what ever happened to him.

Sorry for derailing the thread!

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by swintek View Post
    In a failed attempt to keep me from taking him to court, Michael Autrey sent me this and a bunch of other Barker and King items.
    I'm probably waaay out of line here, but this statement has stuck in head for a few days- any chance you'd be willing to elaborate?
    I've told the story a few times before but don't mind going over it again. Later today (or tonight) I'll type out the sequence of events that led to the "trial of the century."

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

I'd known Michael J. Autrey for a few years and had actually had some good dealings with him. I got my lettered asbestos FIRESTARTER through him. Trouble started in 1996. I sent him $1500 for a copy of NEBEL, by Phantasia Press. Autrey claimed he sent the money to someone in Germany but never got the book. He convinced me he was good for the money that was apparently lost. About that time the S/L THE REGULATORS was announced. I really wanted a lettered copy and didn't know very many other people in the business. Autrey said he could get me one for $3500 so I sent him another $2000. It sounds so stupid to type this out now but I really thought Mike was on the up and up and would do what he said. I didn't know at that time what a scumbag he was.

The book was released in November 1996 and needless to say I didn't get a copy. Autrey also stopped returning my calls or e-mails. In May 1997 I started pursuing legal action. I tried to get the US Post Office involved in a mail fraud case but didn't get anywhere with that. I tried to get our local DA (in Amarillo, Texas) to indict him but the "crime" was done in California so I had to get a local attorney in LA. I got someone Roy Robbins (Bad Moon Books) knew and he was more than happy to take my case. The next step was to find the sorry SOB to serve him a subpoena. No one had any idea where he was. iowabob (Bob Sprowell) said that Autrey always showed up at the San Diego ComicCon so we had a process server track him down and serve him a subpoena in front of the whole convention. I would have loved to have been there.

The case finally was tried in small claims court in Whittier, CA in December 1998. I, of course, had to travel out there. I "won" a judgement against Autrey for about $4500 but never really collected anything. Forcing the judgement would have involved additional expenses and I just got tired of spending money on it. Lawyer fees, travel etc. really had started to add up.

One good thing came out of this. I had a GREAT time in LA. Roy Robbins and Bob Sprowell went to the courthouse with me. We spent a lot of time getting to know each other and talking books. We went to a lot of bookstores and really had fun. Chris Cavalier joined us one night and we all four went to see John McLaughlin at his store The Book Sail. John ended up angrily throwing us out of his store. But that, kiddies, is a story for another day.

Autrey is still around but only online. His eBay user ID is: a1981a He still sells the same old shit but seems to do pretty well at it. I try not to think of him. I just get angry when I do.

Almost forgot....Autrey sent me a bunch of stuff to try to get me not to take him to court. A bunch of press kits of King's movies (including THE SHINING, which I like), the bound galley of THE DAMNATION GAME (to keep this post on topic and which I also really like), NIGHT VISIONS V proof, and a bunch of lesser stuff, probably about 50 items in all. King related Playboys, Oui, Weirdbook, Rolling Stone, etc.

Banned Ric is an unknown quantity at this point

My Mood
    Angry

That's a great story thanks Bob!! I've never had any dealings with Autrey myself; so sorry to hear that he took advantage of you like that.

Citizen of Gilead swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek's Avatar

My Mood
    Relaxed

Wow. I'm sorry that happened to you. What an incredible pain in the ass to have to deal with. It's too much money to just write off- you had to jump through all the hoops- and spend even MORE to chase it!. Sorry to open that wound, but it is a valuable cautionary tale! Scumbag, indeed.

I won't derail Ric's thread any further (sorry, Ric!), but you CAN"T drop the John McLaughlin reference without elaborating- at least somewhere else and some other time. Even though I live in L.A., I never did make it out to The Book Sail. Always meant to, and I've been long sorry I never did. He seemed like such an interesting character. One of my absolute favorite items in my collection is his legendary "Catalog", featuring the Dracula manuscript. That thing is a like a book collector's wet dream. Just the pure joy of collecting- bound in cloth.

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

One of my absolute favorite items in my collection is his legendary "Catalog", featuring the Dracula manuscript. That thing is a like a book collector's wet dream. Just the pure joy of collecting- bound in cloth.
    That sounds very interesting! Maybe you can elaborate in another thread (although I don't think our mods really care if we only go off-topic for a couple of posts)?

My Mood
    Angry

I don't care about the off-topic, it is kind of relevant anyway! Plus I love Bob's collecting stories!

My Mood
    Relaxed

Quote Originally Posted by biomieg View Post
    One of my absolute favorite items in my collection is his legendary "Catalog", featuring the Dracula manuscript. That thing is a like a book collector's wet dream. Just the pure joy of collecting- bound in cloth.
    That sounds very interesting! Maybe you can elaborate in another thread (although I don't think our mods really care if we only go off-topic for a couple of posts)?
    I'm really bad with saying I'm going to photograph and upload book images- and then not finding the time to do it! (Hey, 3 small kids, a full time job and a wife who is in school seemingly all the time) But, this "catalog" is so special it deserves to be admired. I'll really try to get to this soon, and post in another thread.

Gunslinger Apprentice Justin Case is on a distinguished road Justin Case's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by biomieg View Post
    I'm really bad with saying I'm going to photograph and upload book images- and then not finding the time to do it! (Hey, 3 small kids, a full time job and a wife who is in school seemingly all the time) But, this "catalog" is so special it deserves to be admired. I'll really try to get to this soon, and post in another thread.
    Please do - man, I'd love to see that!
    Phil

I almost forgot I had this book stored away in a closet until this thread got me to thinking if I had anything else Barker related to post. In 2001 Peter Schneider's Stealth Press published the BOOKS OF BLOOD combined into one volume. Here is one of the 52 lettered copies. Housed in a hardwood case with an engraved title plate (similar to the S/L THE STAND). It's a nice book fully bound in leather. Haven't seen one around in ages but I don't follow the Barker collectibles these days.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Bob, you never cease to amaze me. Thanks for sharing.

My Mood
    Angry

I love how I spend my life trying to collect Barker items and Bob is like, oh wait, I have something buried in my closet... and it's something I've been looking for.

You're like the swami of collecting.

My Mood
    Relaxed

Yep, you just don't see those! I've got the numbered and think it's a REALLY nice production. Thanks for sharing the pics! I think it looks even better in the red leather.

One minor question/possible correction: I don't believe Peter Schneider was involved with STEALTH. I know it was Craig Spector, and possibly Peter ATKINS, who was later involved with Schneider at Hill House. Just for posterity.

My Mood
    Angry

Yes Peter Atkins was most certainly involved at Stealth; especially on that particular book.

I only dealt with Stealth Press through communications with Peter Schneider. I mistakenly assumed he was the head honcho. Here is something I found using Google. He was in sales, not management.

http://www.libraryjournal.com/article/CA156323.html

I also think (though I might be wrong) that Peter Schneider was the driving force behind the design and production of the BOOKS OF BLOOD limited edition. I've saved all of my e-mails from Peter regarding the book, updates on progress and design, etc. It seemed like he was the one calling the shots on that particular book, but I don't know for sure.

My Mood
    Relaxed

Then I certainly stand corrected. I had no idea he was involved at all. Very interesting. Thanks for clarifying. Also interesting that Schneider was the driving force behind the Stealth B.o.B, because that's just another classic, gorgeous book to go along with all the other King & Gaiman masterpieces that he assembled.

By the way, has anyone else noticed any concave-ness (for lack of a better word!) in the spine on B.o.B.? My copy is a little... indented in the wide spine area. Hard to explain, I guess. I always look at other pictures because I thought I had noticed it in other copies.

Gunslinger Apprentice Justin Case is on a distinguished road Justin Case's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post
    I almost forgot I had this book stored away in a closet until this thread got me to thinking if I had anything else Barker related to post. In 2001 Peter Schneider's Stealth Press published the BOOKS OF BLOOD combined into one volume. Here is one of the 52 lettered copies. Housed in a hardwood case with an engraved title plate (similar to the S/L THE STAND). It's a nice book fully bound in leather. Haven't seen one around in ages but I don't follow the Barker collectibles these days.

Wow, that's gorgeous. I think that is the picture with Barker behind the mask - I get it confused with the one he actually took for Cold Heart Canyon. What a great object d'art to have in the closet! Very cool!
    Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Case View Post
    Wow, that's gorgeous. I think that is the picture with Barker behind the mask - I get it confused with the one he actually took for Cold Heart Canyon. What a great object d'art to have in the closet! Very cool!
    I think that Barker took the picture but the guy behind the mask is supposed to be his friend/life partner. There is a nude photograph of Barker in the book on the back of the limitation page.

My Mood
    Angry

I think that Barker took the picture but the guy behind the mask is supposed to be his friend/life partner. There is a nude photograph of Barker in the book on the back of the limitation page.
    Not quite. Clive took the photograph, but the model in the picture is Maurice Irvin not David Armstrong. David took the picture of Clive that is opposite the limitation page.

Quote Originally Posted by Ric View Post
    Not quite. Clive took the photograph, but the model in the picture is Maurice Irvin not David Armstrong. David took the picture of Clive that is opposite the limitation page.
    I don't know anything about it other than what Peter told me. Here is a letter sent to those of us who ordered the lettered version. This letter was prepublication. Not quite half way down the page Peter says it is David who is the model and that Clive took the photo. That is all I know. Maybe Peter had his info wrong. Ric, I think you know a lot more about Barker than I do and I accept your version.

My Mood
    Angry

Look on the copyright page Bob. There's a credit for the cover model. Perhaps Peter was simply mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by Ric View Post
    Look on the copyright page Bob. There's a credit for the cover model. Perhaps Peter was simply mistaken.
    Yep. It looks like Peter had it wrong in his letter. Thanks for the clarification.

Traveler Count Screwloose is on a distinguished road

This is a bound galley of THE DAMNATION GAME, published by Weidenfeld & Nicolson. It is bound in thick black cardboard and has two pages of text per galley page. It is signed by Barker. I have heard there were only four of these done but have no idea if that is factual or not. In a failed attempt to keep me from taking him to court, Michael Autrey sent me this and a bunch of other Barker and King items. Most were not worth anything but this one may have some financial potential. I've looked but have never seen another.
    Hey, guys:

Pardon me for barging in, but I had to as this is only the second copy of this I've seen! Have no idea how many were done, but mine is signed as well and with the same color of ink. Very, very curious.

CS

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast