Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Thread: The Collectible Clive Barker

Servant of Gan jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jeffingoff View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by St. Troy View Post
    I bought Tortured Souls. This is a collection of 5 (6?) stories that were originally included with action figures he designed for McFarlane Toys. The short pieces described the lives of these Tortured Souls who were cenobite-ish and how they came to be the mutilated freaks represented by the action figures. These were very cool toys and they fetch a lot of money now, but I didn't collect them. When SubPress announced they were publishing these in a collection signed by Barker I was all for it. It's pretty good, but the stories (written for toy packaging) really don't hang together all that well, but it's good writing and I wanted more of it. So I'd recommend but wouldn't go so far as to rave. I passed on Infernal Parade for reasons known to no one.
    Good to know.

Any thoughts on collections etc.?
    Definitely read the Books of Blood! I thought I had them all, but I only have an omnibus of the first three volumes. But all I've read has been fantastic. Highly recommend those. I passed on Tonight, Again because I didn't really care to read erotic fiction. I haven't even considered The Essential Clive Barker. To be honest, I've been turned off by his later works. Sacrament was meh and I've already shared my thoughts on TSG. If I read Barker it'll be through re-reads of Books of Blood, Imajica, Hellbound Heart, Damnation Game, Cabal, Weaveworld, and The Thief of Always.
    OH and Everville and Great and Secret Show.

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

OH and Everville and Great and Secret Show.
    Fun story touching on these:

I read TGASS and absolutely loved it; when Everville came out, my fiancee bought it for me as a Christmas gift - but then we broke up a few weeks prior to Christmas.

She didn't know what to do with the gifts she'd already bought for me; I bought them from her to save her trips to the mall/bookstore etc.

Not long after, life became quite busy indeed, and to this day, my red metallic dust-jacketed Everville hardcover sits on my bookcase...unread.

And does my wife know that this other person bought me that book? Probably not...
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

I believe the concepts that were originally planned for the scarlet gospels found their way into Abarat 3, the to be published Abarat 4, and into another work I can’t recall that still hasn’t been published.

I’ll try to find the reference.

ETA: so this is all I could find: http://legacy.aintitcool.com/node/69120

It’s an interview with Mark Miller. He’s the vice president of barkers own publishing company, and served as “editor” on the scarlet Gospels. Here, he mentions in passing that there were plot points characters and scenes that “found their way into other narratives“, and were therefore excised from the final version.

I recall a similar interview with both Clive and Mark talking about this, where one of them also talked about making the novel much more streamlined, to match the feel of a movie rather than of a sprawling novel. But I can’t find that interview now.

HBJ
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

Looking for SubPress Lettered::
    Angel's Game and Prisoner of Heaven (Zafon)
    Ilium (Simmons)

Citizen of Gilead mattgreenbean has a spectacular aura about mattgreenbean has a spectacular aura about mattgreenbean's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Definitely read the Books of Blood! I thought I had them all, but I only have an omnibus of the first three volumes. But all I've read has been fantastic. Highly recommend those. I passed on Tonight, Again because I didn't really care to read erotic fiction. I haven't even considered The Essential Clive Barker. To be honest, I've been turned off by his later works. Sacrament was meh and I've already shared my thoughts on TSG. If I read Barker it'll be through re-reads of Books of Blood, Imajica, Hellbound Heart, Damnation Game, Cabal, Weaveworld, and The Thief of Always.
    Don't forget The Books of the Art: The Great and Secret Show and Everville. The third book of that may never come out though.
    And the Books of Abarat are enjoyable. Also, unfinished. But still a fun world to visit.
    "That which you think, becomes your world" Matheson

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by Hunchback Jack View Post
    I believe the concepts that were originally planned for the scarlet gospels found their way into Abarat 3, the to be published Abarat 4, and into another work I can’t recall that still hasn’t been published.
    Strange, although not inconceivable, for narratives involved with something as adult and disturbingly violent as a Pinhead/Hellraiser work to fit in with Abarat, which is for children. But then, I guess everything can be reworked.

More generally, I've heard several times that they removed much of The Scarlet Gospels for use elsewhere, and that makes me wonder: did the narrative wander away from Pinhead into generalities, other settings? I'll always wonder about the long TSG we didn't get (especially since so many hated the one we did).

Quote Originally Posted by Hunchback Jack View Post
    I recall a similar interview with both Clive and Mark talking about this, where one of them also talked about making the novel much more streamlined, to match the feel of a movie rather than of a sprawling novel.
    Yeah - who wants sprawling novels...

me! me! over here! I have an attention span! me!

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

Maybe I’m incorrectly inferring that it was Abarat. I thought I’d read that somewhere but I can’t find it now.
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”

Ilium (Simmons)

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Small bit of Barker info to add since I found some new (to me) sources (Barker's Facebook pages, the info on which comes from Phil & Sarah Stokes, who run his website (clivebarker.info) and are in actual contact with Clive):

- On Apr 26 2020: there will be an update on Deep Hill shortly (more about Deep Hill at https://www.clivebarker.info/bookswip.html#deephill)

- On Feb 28 2020: Clive is working on Abarat 4 and a draft of Deep Hill is "with the typist"

- On Feb 12 2020: during breaks on Deep Hill (when it's being typed), he works on Abarat 4 & 5, and he has the plot points for Book of the Art 3

- On Feb 9 2020: they met with Clive and discussed Abarat 4 & 5, as well as Book of the Art 3, and said Deep Hill will come before all of those

I've heard some version of all of this before, but statements like these coming from people who are in direct contact with him are encouraging (he seems to be toiling away, as creative as ever).

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Background:
    Stealth Press did an omnibus edition of the Books of Blood (all 6 Books in one book) in 3 forms:
    - signed/lettered (52 copies, $400)
    - signed/numbered (500, $200)
    - unsigned trade (production count not known to me; $39.95)

I believe these were red, black, and white, respectively.

I'm personally interested in the trade edition (as it should be easier to find and cheaper (I seldom go over $100)), but I can't seem to find any out there; the only white copies I've found are signed, so I may have the colors mixed up, or maybe the only people reselling the trade edition went through the trouble to get it signed on their own.

Does anyone know how many of the trade edition were printed, what color they actually were, and if there's a reason (other than my own meatballery) I'm not seeing them out there? I suppose it could be that there just isn't as brisk a level of turnover with his stuff.

Citizen of Gilead swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek's Avatar

My Mood
    Relaxed

You're right- that damn Stealth Trade Edition does seem to prove elusive, for whatever reason. You can find the numbered more readily it seems. I have zero idea of print run on the trade, but I do believe that there was a 2nd printing. Can't say 100%, but I seem to remember that. Regardless, its a great edition, and you can't go wrong with any of them. I think it's damn near "essential". Isn't it- still, unbelievably- the only single volume complete edition of these seminal stories? After all these years? That's.. insane to me. Paul Suntup- email Clive!

* Edited to add that the signed editions were indeed bound in Red (Lettered), and Black (Numbered) leather, and unjacketed in slipcase, The Trade(s) had a White Dust Jacket. Never had one, so not sure of the color of the boards underneath. Would love to know all this, though.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by swintek View Post
    You're right- that damn Stealth Trade Edition does seem to prove elusive...Isn't it- still, unbelievably- the only single volume complete edition of these seminal stories? After all these years?
    I believe so.

Paul Suntup- email Clive!
    I can only think Paul would do an amazing job with just about anything of Barker's. For me personally, the trouble with some Barker deluxes (such as The Great And Secret Show) is that they use Barker's art, which, while completely logical, unfortunately doesn't appeal to me at all.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

If anyone has the Cemetery Dance edition of The Damnation Game, could you post some pics of the interiors (not so much the art; I'm interested in seeing how the text pages look)? I haven't been able to find much online for that.

Quote Originally Posted by St. Troy View Post
    If anyone has the Cemetery Dance edition of The Damnation Game, could you post some pics of the interiors (not so much the art; I'm interested in seeing how the text pages look)? I haven't been able to find much online for that.
    Took some quick ones, let me know if you want to see something else:

Founder and publisher of Lividian Publications. My other website is BrianJamesFreeman.com. Please always feel free to email me or send me a PM if you have any questions about either!

My Mood
    Yeehaw

That's great - thanks!

Citizen of Gilead swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek's Avatar

My Mood
    Relaxed

Brian- why was this limited to "598" copies? I'm guessing dictated by the exact number of advance orders, but- why the hell not make it an even 600?

Brian- why was this limited to "598" copies? I'm guessing dictated by the exact number of advance orders, but- why the hell not make it an even 600?
    Because then there would have only been 50 copies of the Lettered Edition, and what would collectors of YY and ZZ have done then?

Real answer: sometimes a contract is simply for a maximum number of copies across all editions. In this case, it was 650 total copies. So, had we only printed 26 for the Lettered Edition, the Limited Edition would have been 624.

I’d say this comes up about once per 40 or so contracts, so not often!

Brian
    Founder and publisher of Lividian Publications. My other website is BrianJamesFreeman.com. Please always feel free to email me or send me a PM if you have any questions about either!

My Mood
    Relaxed

Ah. Well, that would 'splain it. Messes with my OCD a tad, but- thanks!

Ah. Well, that would 'splain it. Messes with my OCD a tad, but- thanks!
    You're not alone! I have no clue why some rights holders prefer that method...

Brian

My Mood
    Yeehaw

An interview with Clive (compiled from 4 interviews April by Phil & Sarah Stokes, who run his websites) appeared on his site today. Some interesting bits:

- "Deep Hill [his current writing project and next novel] is now in its last draft"
    - "Abarat Four...needs one more draft, otherwise it’s finished."
    - Abarat Five "is huge. It’s huge in terms of its narrative, it’s huge in terms of its number of characters, it’s huge in the way I want to wrap it up."
    - About Book of the Art 3: he has four "big plastic boxes, bucket kind of things…filled with Art ideas."
    - He is "doing a collection of original, new and collected short fiction," "a big, diverse collection" including (among other things) the Nightbreed Chronicles, the Tortured Souls narratives, Chiliad, and "some original pieces that have never been seen before."
    - There will be new tie-in editions of the Books of Blood (in conjunction with the upcoming adaptation)
    - He will be releasing a poetry collection, the title of which will likely be The Presence Of This Breath (If you like his poetry - or poetry in general - this is the interview for you)
    - He'd planned to attend around 6 events this year that were cancelled due to COVID
    - At one point, he actually went into a second coma
    - People he'd considered friends worked against him while he was ill: "certain people...did a lot of their own work to make sure people didn’t know why" he had disappeared from public view, "made sure people ‘knew’ that I was intellectually incapable now, that I would never again write, that I would never again be a creative, cogent person," and "had, in the midst of my being ill, drawn up a contract, a document that said upon my decease 50% of everything I have would become his."

Full interview: https://www.clivebarker.info/intsrevel34.html

What a great interview! Thanks for posting.

All this sounds very promising ... up to a point. It's great to hear that Barker's health is improving and that he now has the energy to work. It's great to hear he's getting back to projects that have long been on hold, and it sucks people tries to sabotage him while he was ill.

But when I hear statements like [Abarat Five] "is huge. It’s huge in terms of its narrative, it’s huge in terms of its number of characters, it’s huge in the way I want to wrap it up.", and he has four "big plastic boxes, bucket kind of things…filled with Art ideas.", my heart sinks. Barker's ability to finish things has all but disappeared. Having an abundance of ideas and plans for massively-scoped endings to series would be exciting ... if I had confidence that he could corral those ideas into a coherent narrative and bring them to publication. After The Scarlet Gospels, I'm not sure he can.

I still hope he has an Art 3 in him, or another Imajica. I hope he lives to see these works in print.

HBJ

Ilium (Simmons)

My Mood
    Yeehaw

His gradual improvement (going from bedridden to attending multiple public events) gives me confidence that things have turned around for him.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I'm especially excited about the "collection of original, new and collected short fiction" because it is the closest thing to publication-readiness (containing, as it does, mostly completed work).

After reading the interview, I'd assumed that it included only completed work (and could be published virtually at any time), but Phil/Sarah Stokes corrected me (I'd been in touch with them by e-mail a few days prior to the posting of this interview, they were kind enough to e-mail me when it was posted, and I followed up on this particular point after reading it), saying "Clive’s planning to include some unpublished work that still needs a little work to prep before publication."

Agreed, that will be one to pick up, for sure. It sounds like it will include almost all his short work of the last couple of decades!

Ilium (Simmons)

Servant of Gan kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The Body Book Deluxe Signed and Numbered in Slipcase. 1 of only 66.

The edition limited to 400 does not have Mick Garris' signature or slipcase.

$225 OBO shipped to the U.S.

P.P. f&f

seeking: anything DT related #246
    ANYTHING DT Related #246
    Dead Zone First Edition F/F or NF/NF

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Nice.

Honky Mahfah MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Cool

You're right- that damn Stealth Trade Edition does seem to prove elusive, for whatever reason. You can find the numbered more readily it seems. I have zero idea of print run on the trade, but I do believe that there was a 2nd printing. Can't say 100%, but I seem to remember that. Regardless, its a great edition, and you can't go wrong with any of them. I think it's damn near "essential". Isn't it- still, unbelievably- the only single volume complete edition of these seminal stories? After all these years? That's.. insane to me. Paul Suntup- email Clive!

* Edited to add that the signed editions were indeed bound in Red (Lettered), and Black (Numbered) leather, and unjacketed in slipcase, The Trade(s) had a White Dust Jacket. Never had one, so not sure of the color of the boards underneath. Would love to know all this, though.
    I have one of the white ones. Grey boards and end papers. All this new Barker stuff is neat to know. Looking forward to new things he is working on.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast