Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Thread: The Collectible Clive Barker

Honky Mahfah Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Finally... again a German limited+signed book by C.Barker and D.Serra.

Clive Barker - Tortured Souls-Infernal Parade
    Cemetery Dance Germany
    signed limited 321/999

Cemetery Dance Germany promo stuff

Servant of Gan kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Stockerlone View Post
    Finally... again a German limited+signed book by C.Barker and D.Serra.

Clive Barker - Tortured Souls-Infernal Parade
    Cemetery Dance Germany
    signed limited 321/999

Cemetery Dance Germany promo stuff
    Good looking book. Congrats

seeking: anything DT related #246
    ANYTHING DT Related #246
    Dead Zone First Edition F/F or NF/NF

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Nice book and artwork! I recognised the artist's name before seeing his name
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Servant of Gan kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Hopefully you Clive fans can help out. Was just wondering your thoughts on The Body Book (DRP)? I realize there are 3 states. Good construction and content?

What is the value of each?

Thx!

ANYTHING DT Related #246

Traveler mark211219 will become famous soon enough mark211219 will become famous soon enough mark211219's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Hello!

I've been collecting first and/or signed editions of authors I love for years and recently decided to jump into the limited/lettered world.

After introducing myself on the newbie thread, a welcoming member PM'd me and after a few messages he offered to part with a S/L Carrion Comfort by Dan Simmons. Thanks kind member!

It was suggested by book collecting veterans to make a priority list. That was easy since I already had a perfect place to start after moving some other memorabilia: Clive Barker horror books. My most recent is a numbered The Scarlet Gospels from Earthling Productions to round out The Hell Priest's story.

Here's my (work-in-progress) Clive Barker horror corner:

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Looks pretty nice !
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mark211219 View Post
    Hello!

I've been collecting first and/or signed editions of authors I love for years and recently decided to jump into the limited/lettered world.

After introducing myself on the newbie thread, a welcoming member PM'd me and after a few messages he offered to part with a S/L Carrion Comfort by Dan Simmons. Thanks kind member!

It was suggested by book collecting veterans to make a priority list. That was easy since I already had a perfect place to start after moving some other memorabilia: Clive Barker horror books. My most recent is a numbered The Scarlet Gospels from Earthling Productions to round out The Hell Priest's story.

Here's my (work-in-progress) Clive Barker horror corner:

Awesome, Mark! The red light is a cool touch.

ANYTHING DT Related #246

Servant of Gan jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute

Country
    Country Flag

Fantastic display. For a fantastic author.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Demon of the Prim lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Love the display!! One of the cooler ones I've seen for any author/publisher.

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I just finished The Hellbound Heart and have a question for anyone who might know: is this story (or its world/background etc.) continued anywhere other than the Hellraiser movies and The Scarlet Gospels?

I ask because it seems there's quite a jump between the end of THH and the beginning of TSG, which has lots to do with Pinhead (I've read a short online sample of TSG), and so TSG can only make sense if the reader has either read something else from Barker in the meantime concerning the Order of the Gash, or if there wasn't anything written, then the Hellraiser movies (and if so, are they all canon? (and I hate asking such a question)).

If it matters, I have read The Damnation Game, The Great And Secret Show, and Weaveworld, but haven't read any of the Books of Blood (the title of which sure evokes the Order, but I believe the BoB predate THH (I'm not certain of this - correct me if I'm wrong)).

Bottom line: I'd like to pick up the story after THH, hopefully without watching the movies, but I'll do that if necessary to understand TSG.
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Servant of Gan jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by St. Troy View Post
    I just finished The Hellbound Heart and have a question for anyone who might know: is this story (or its world/background etc.) continued anywhere other than the Hellraiser movies and The Scarlet Gospels?

I ask because it seems there's quite a jump between the end of THH and the beginning of TSG, which has lots to do with Pinhead (I've read a short online sample of TSG ), and so TSG can only make sense if the reader has either read something else from Barker in the meantime concerning the Order of the Gash, or if there wasn't anything written, then the Hellraiser movies (and if so, are they all canon? (and I hate asking such a question)).

If it matters, I have read The Damnation Game, The Great And Secret Show, and Weaveworld, but haven't read any of the Books of Blood (the title of which sure evokes the Order, but I believe the BoB predate THH (I'm not certain of this - correct me if I'm wrong)).

Bottom line: I'd like to pick up the story after THH, hopefully without watching the movies, but I'll do that if necessary to understand TSG.
    My advice to you: enjoy the memories you have of The Hellbound Heart. Maybe watch the first two movies as well. If you get the need to revisit the cenobites, re-read the book or re-watch the movies. Pretend there is no such blasphemy as The Scarlett Gospels--I don't care how goddamned gorgeous that Earthling Edition is (OK, you can buy it for the signature, but do not read it!).

Seriously, Hellraiser: The Toll is supposed to pick up where The Hellbound Heart left off. And then The Scarlet Gospels is supposed to close the tale. But The Scarlet Gospels was just a trashing of everything that makes Barker readable and brilliant. It smeared the entire legacy. The Hellbound Heart is a brilliant book about the lengths people will go to for love and the betrayals that are inevitable. The Scarlet Gospels is like Barker wrote a PS to that powerful letter, stating only "jk LOL."

I've never been more disappointed.

Also, if you want a Hell Priest fix, you can check out the Hellraiser comics from EPIC. I collected those and some of those stories were fantastic.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jeffingoff View Post

I ask because it seems there's quite a jump between the end of THH and the beginning of TSG, which has lots to do with Pinhead (I've read a short online sample of TSG ), and so TSG can only make sense if the reader has either read something else from Barker in the meantime concerning the Order of the Gash, or if there wasn't anything written, then the Hellraiser movies (and if so, are they all canon? (and I hate asking such a question)).

My advice to you: enjoy the memories you have of The Hellbound Heart. Maybe watch the first two movies as well. If you get the need to revisit the cenobites, re-read the book or re-watch the movies. Pretend there is no such blasphemy as The Scarlett Gospels--I don't care how goddamned gorgeous that Earthling Edition is (OK, you can buy it for the signature, but do not read it!).

Seriously, Hellraiser: The Toll is supposed to pick up where The Hellbound Heart left off. And then The Scarlet Gospels is supposed to close the tale. But The Scarlet Gospels was just a trashing of everything that makes Barker readable and brilliant. It smeared the entire legacy. The Hellbound Heart is a brilliant book about the lengths people will go to for love and the betrayals that are inevitable. The Scarlet Gospels is like Barker wrote a PS to that powerful letter, stating only "jk LOL."

I've never been more disappointed.

Also, if you want a Hell Priest fix, you can check out the Hellraiser comics from EPIC. I collected those and some of those stories were fantastic.
    Sorry, I have more to bleed here.

Barker wrote The Hellbound Heart and he also wrote and directed Hellraiser. In THH, the main cenobites were called The Female Cenobite and the Hell Priest. Only when they made the movie, the make up artists dubbed the cenobites: Pinhead, Butterball, Chatterer, and Female Cenobite (sexist much?). Anyway, right there represents a breaking apart from the source material. Pinhead vs Hell Priest. And the movies were far more popular, elevating Barker from author to director to monster maker--giving us an entity to fear right up there alongside Freddy, Jason, and Pennywise. And that's when we lost the Hell Priest. Seeing the sequel being titled Hellraiser: The Toll tells you the allegiance lies with the movie and not the novella. And it's not even written by Barker. And in The Scarlet Gospels, there's an attempt to bridge both works but it falls to pieces and the whole thing turns into a sanitized romp through hell. There's zero tension. I have a very hard time believing that Barker wrote that one.

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Well, fiddlesticks.

Country
    Country Flag

Well, fiddlesticks.
    Also I could just be an asshat.

Country
    Country Flag

Well, fiddlesticks.
    Also I could just be an asshat.

Actually both are true. Scarlet Gospels sucks and I’m an asshat. The last I’ll say (probably not) is that the book started out splendidly. I was settling in for a fantastic read. And then about a quarter of the way through it all came undone.

You’ll just have to read for yourself. You might love it. The worlds a crazy place. There are people who actually live in Illinois! And even crazier ones who like Bentley Little.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I’ve heard lots about TSG going off the rails and (perhaps more importantly) that CB didn’t write it himself.

I suppose I’ll just have to stick with reading the rest of his work.

...but if curiosity does one day lead me to read The Scarlet Gospels, would you recommend I watch the movies first to understand it?

Country
    Country Flag

I don’t think it really matters. None of the characters make it from the movies to Scarlet Gospels. Maybe Kirsty is in it for a minute I don’t recall. Most of the book features Harry D’Amour going into Hell after Pinhead (they call him Pinhead in the book!!) to save his friend. I’m remembering it and it is so stupid. Holy shit. Origami birds play a major role in one pivotal scene. What a joke.

Anyway, I’d read the novella and watch the first two movies. The rest is fan fiction.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

thanks

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

The official story is that Barker wrote hundreds of pages of "raw material" for The Scarlet Gospels, and someone else assembled/edited it for publication. I'm inclined to believe it.

I'm more forgiving of the novel than Jeff is, but it is not the sprawling epic we were promised. One reason for that (we are told) is that many of the concepts and scenes originally written for the novel had found their way into other works, written later than but published sooner than Gospels. Also, Barker decided during editing that he wanted to be faster-paced like a movie, and less epic. Either way, what we got was more like an expanded screenplay than a fully-fleshed out novel.

HBJ
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

Looking for SubPress Lettered::
    Angel's Game and Prisoner of Heaven (Zafon)
    Ilium (Simmons)

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Hunchback Jack View Post
    The official story is that Barker wrote hundreds of pages of "raw material" for The Scarlet Gospels, and someone else assembled/edited it for publication. I'm inclined to believe it.

I'm more forgiving of the novel than Jeff is, but it is not the sprawling epic we were promised. One reason for that (we are told) is that many of the concepts and scenes originally written for the novel had found their way into other, already published works. Also, Barker decided during editing that he wanted to be faster-paced like a movie, and less epic. Either way, what we got was more like an expanded screenplay than a fully-fleshed out novel.

HBJ
    I’m just angry.

Gunslinger Apprentice craigobau has a spectacular aura about craigobau has a spectacular aura about craigobau's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I’m thinking of re-reading The Books Of Blood which I haven’t read since they were first released.

Has anyone read them recently? Have they aged well?

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by Hunchback Jack View Post
    ...many of the concepts and scenes originally written for the novel had found their way into other works, written later than but published sooner than Gospels.
    I'd heard this as well. Do you (or does anyone) know what works they found their way into? I'm not seeking a list of Hellbound Heart-related short stories (I wouldn't ask anyone to go to that much trouble), but is there a collection I should seek out? Black Is The Devil's Rainbow was said to be intended to include material cut from TSG, but may have eventually morphed into a collection of poetry (I say "may have" because not all of my sources - mostly bits and bobs from Barker's website - are explicit with titles), and despite having an Amazon listing, I'm not sure it was ever published, or even completed.

After Books of Blood, I'm aware of The Essential Clive Barker and Tonight Again. Would these be worth my time, either for Hellbound Heart-related content or just as general Barker? TECB is said to include several excerpts, and that strikes me as counterproductive (pieces I enjoy will frustrate me for having to hunt down the full text). I've heard that Tonight Again is mainly erotic fiction, and while I don't mind some graphic content (you can't get far in Barker's oeuvre if you do), I'm not sure I'm interested in anything strictly focused on that (if indeed Tonight Again is strictly focused on that - perhaps "erotic fiction" is a gross oversimplification of the material - you tell me).

Other than those two, are there any other collections I should try? His website lists several collections (peruse the right-hand column here: https://www.clivebarker.info/booksindex.html), but I suspect they aren't solely his material (anthologies etc.). In general, I'm interested in eventually reading as much of his conventionally available material as I can, but I won't hunt down magazine issues, I'm not interested in screenplays (unless a dramatic case can be made for something special), and I generally don't read comics/graphic novels, although the form intrigues me and I'm open to persuasion.

Some potential properties of comics/graphic novels that would turn me off:

- "Clive Barker"-branded stories that he didn't write (glorified fan fiction intended as a revenue stream; I don't begrudge the man his living, but this type of thing is not for me)

- how numerous magazine issues can be (I don't want to have to buy 20 of anything in order to read one story)

Seduth appears to be acceptable (an original (new) work, directly written by Barker, in a single format (not 20 issues)); I don't know if there are more that would interest me.

I'm not sure I have a handle on what Next Testament is (is it done? is it good?) or which way I'd go with it:

- it appears to have several issues (bad)

- ...but may be available in an omnibus edition (good)

- is mainly written by someone other than Barker (bad) - Mark Alan Miller, who helped do The Scarlet Gospels, which disappointed and infuriated fans (bad)

- ...but is co-written by Barker (good).

Perhaps this is worth a try? The whole "generate an idea and hand it off to someone else for the actual writing" method of creation (let's call this doing a Patterson, shall we?) has always struck me as a particularly pungent variety of cheese, but perhaps I shouldn't have such a knee-jerk reaction to a mode of collaboration that might enable the creation of interesting work that otherwise wouldn't exist.

How about The Infernal Parade and Tortured Souls - are these unique to Subterranean Press, or available conventionally? And of course - what is their content? I've read that they are backstory for "a range of figures" - is this essentially marketing for, well, horror toys? That sounds terrible - but again, tell me they're good and I'll get them (unless only available via expensive Subterranean Press editions).

Then there is Chiliad (aka Revelations), which I understand consists of two short novellas (and nothing more). I believe these novellas were also presented in a Douglas Winter collection helpfully titled...Revelations. The Winter collection includes much non-Barker material, but if the Barker material here is everything that appeared in the Barker standalone editions of Chiliad/Revelations, that is good enough for me (likely to be more material for less money, always good, and I'd enjoy the opportunity to read other fiction new to me).

Again, any help is appreciated.

[Hey, look: I wrote my own epic.]

Country
    Country Flag

I bought Tortured Souls. This is a collection of 5 (6?) stories that were originally included with action figures he designed for McFarlane Toys. The short pieces described the lives of these Tortured Souls who were cenobite-ish and how they came to be the mutilated freaks represented by the action figures. These were very cool toys and they fetch a lot of money now, but I didn't collect them. When SubPress announced they were publishing these in a collection signed by Barker I was all for it. It's pretty good, but the stories (written for toy packaging) really don't hang together all that well, but it's good writing and I wanted more of it. So I'd recommend but wouldn't go so far as to rave. I passed on Infernal Parade for reasons known to no one.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I bought Tortured Souls. This is a collection of 5 (6?) stories that were originally included with action figures he designed for McFarlane Toys. The short pieces described the lives of these Tortured Souls who were cenobite-ish and how they came to be the mutilated freaks represented by the action figures. These were very cool toys and they fetch a lot of money now, but I didn't collect them. When SubPress announced they were publishing these in a collection signed by Barker I was all for it. It's pretty good, but the stories (written for toy packaging) really don't hang together all that well, but it's good writing and I wanted more of it. So I'd recommend but wouldn't go so far as to rave. I passed on Infernal Parade for reasons known to no one.
    Good to know.

Any thoughts on collections etc.?

Country
    Country Flag

Good to know.

Any thoughts on collections etc.?
    Definitely read the Books of Blood! I thought I had them all, but I only have an omnibus of the first three volumes. But all I've read has been fantastic. Highly recommend those. I passed on Tonight, Again because I didn't really care to read erotic fiction. I haven't even considered The Essential Clive Barker. To be honest, I've been turned off by his later works. Sacrament was meh and I've already shared my thoughts on TSG. If I read Barker it'll be through re-reads of Books of Blood, Imajica, Hellbound Heart, Damnation Game, Cabal, Weaveworld, and The Thief of Always.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast