Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16

Thread: The Collectible Ray Bradbury

Demon of the Prim RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65's Avatar

Since various editions of THE MARTIAN CHRONICLES are mentioned above, I'd add that the nicest one I've ever seen -- and certainly the most expensive deluxe limited of it, as far as I know -- is the Subterranean / Hill House edition.

I passed on that one at publication for, I think, $450, and it's about twice that now on the aftermarket, maybe a hair less. I try not to lament about books not bought, but that's one where I sure wish I would've pulled the trigger on it..it's beautiful, it's massive, it's the definitive edition of the collection.

I hope someday to be able to add it to my collection, but at this point that ship may have sailed. :-(

Citizen of Gilead swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek's Avatar

My Mood
    Relaxed

Quote Originally Posted by RC65 View Post
    Since various editions of THE MARTIAN CHRONICLES are mentioned above, I'd add that the nicest one I've ever seen -- and certainly the most expensive deluxe limited of it, as far as I know -- is the Subterranean / Hill House edition.

I passed on that one at publication for, I think, $450, and it's about twice that now on the aftermarket, maybe a hair less. I try not to lament about books not bought, but that's one where I sure wish I would've pulled the trigger on it..it's beautiful, it's massive, it's the definitive edition of the collection.

I hope someday to be able to add it to my collection, but at this point that ship may have sailed. :-(
    It's funny you said that- recent talk about TMC here jogged loose the reminder about that very edition- I have the same longing feelings for it as yourself- and the main thing that occurred to me is that you just never see it out there in the wild. Or, maybe because I haven't really been looking for it, merely because of the hefty price tag. But, yeah- from pictures alone- it looks amazing.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Camelot sold one for $800 within the last month or so. I wonder if there were any illustrations in it.

World Leader Pretend Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by swintek View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RC65 View Post

It's funny you said that- recent talk about TMC here jogged loose the reminder about that very edition- I have the same longing feelings for it as yourself- and the main thing that occurred to me is that you just never see it out there in the wild. Or, maybe because I haven't really been looking for it, merely because of the hefty price tag. But, yeah- from pictures alone- it looks amazing.
    I'm right there with both of you on the Hill House edition. I have their edition of The Cat's Pajamas and The Wish chapbook, but kept putting off my TMC order for whatever reason. I remember getting the order offer from Sub Press, but don't recall if there was a price increase or not that caused me to pass.

It's been a long time, but I keep thinking that Hill House and also talked about a third book in their Bradbury series. I have no memory of what if may have been, just a vague memory of them discussing more of his titles before they went under.
    Mark Twain

Demon of the Prim RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WeDealInLead View Post
    Camelot sold one for $800 within the last month or so. I wonder if there were any illustrations in it.
    There are some full-color glossy illustrations within, but I don't know how many.

Servant of Gan George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Signed Fahrenheit 451 First Edition up at Heritage Auctions

Ray Bradbury. Fahrenheit 451. New York: Ballantine Books, Inc., [1953]. First edition. Signed by the author on title page.

Illustrated by Joe Mugnaini. Publisher's textured red paper over boards and lettered in yellow; original illustrated dust jacket. Corners just bumped, minor wear to head and foot of spine. Internally clean and tight; very minor edgewear. Dust jacket with minor chipping to head and foot of spine panel, spine sunned; minor dampstaining on spine panel verso. Near fine book with near fine dust jacket. In addition to the title novel, the short stories "The Playground" and "The Rock Cried Out" are bound in rear. Currey p. 55-56 (binding D). Listed as a First Purchase (Core Collection) title in Anatomy of Wonder (3-61), "...based on 1951 short story "The Fireman" (SFHF), work's title refers to the flash point of book paper."

Current Bid is $1650 ($2062.50 w/Buyer's Premium) with 14 days remaining

WANT LIST: Any SK #186; Dark Man Unbound 1st Proof; FDNS Unbound 1st Proof; FDNS Black Tape Spine Proof; FDNS Unbound Color Proof

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Sad news (well, from last September, but I just found out now...):

https://www.facebook.com/J.Eller/pos...2990?__tn__=-R
    Thanks for your question about the Collected Stories of Ray Bradbury volumes. The original series contract only covered the first three volumes, which recovered the earliest published versions of the stories that RB wrote up to 1945. I had established a timeline for the stories that RB wrote (and eventually published) up through the spring of 1950, his breakout year with The Martian Chronicles. I had the stories written from 1945 to 1950 set out in another five volumes, making a total of eight. Unfortunately, the contract was not renewed; the sales did not recover costs, and so it doesn't look like there will be any further volumes to extend the series beyond the three volumes in print. The Center for Ray Bradbury Studies curates Ray's author's copies of his early magazine appearances for the post-1945 period, as well as a fairly complete reprint record, for on-site research. That capability remains an open question until we know when (and how) the Center can open again in the post-COVID era. We have high hopes.

Appreciate the alert on the unfortunate news...I was also unaware and have been awaiting the additional volumes. Really a shame there won’t be any.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16