Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 23 31 32 33

Thread: The Dark Tower Q&A - Ask a question, get an answer! *spoilers*

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by OY V(ann)AY View Post
    Hello! I am brand new to the forum, and am reading through the series for the first time. I'm 300 pages into Book 7, so I'm almost there.

I just had a quick question. I'm trying to figure out the first time we hear about The Crimson King. I know there's an allusion to him during Roland and Walter's palaver in the revised version of The Gunslinger. But was he mentioned at all before Wizard and Glass in either book 2 or 3? Maybe this isn't an important question but I'd like to know.

Thanks!
    I think the first mention in the revised edition is from Sylvia Pittston:

“It’s him that will come as the Antichrist, a crimson king with bloody eyes, to lead men into the flaming bowels of perdition, to the bloody end of wickedness, as Star Wormword hangs blazing in the sky, as gall gnaws at the vitals of the children, as women’s wombs give forth monstrosities, as the works of men’s hands turn to blood—”

The first mention other than the revised was in W&G:

"At that moment the revving sound of an engine tore into the air. From beyond the fence, on the Forty-sixth Street side of the lot, chugs of dirty brown exhaust ascended like bad-news smoke signals. Suddenly the boards on that side burst open, and a huge red bulldozer lunged through. Even the blade was red, although the words slashed across its scoop—ALL HAIL THE CRIMSON KING—were written in a yellow as bright as panic. Sitting in the peak-seat, his rotting face leering at them from above the controls, was the man who had kidnapped Jake from the bridge over the River Send—their old pal Gasher. On the front of his cocked-back hardhat, the words LAMERK FOUNDRY stood out in black. Above them, a single staring eye had been painted."
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Br!an View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by OY V(ann)AY View Post
    Hello! I am brand new to the forum, and am reading through the series for the first time. I'm 300 pages into Book 7, so I'm almost there.

I just had a quick question. I'm trying to figure out the first time we hear about The Crimson King. I know there's an allusion to him during Roland and Walter's palaver in the revised version of The Gunslinger. But was he mentioned at all before Wizard and Glass in either book 2 or 3? Maybe this isn't an important question but I'd like to know.

Thanks!
    I think the first mention in the revised edition is from Sylvia Pittston:

“It’s him that will come as the Antichrist, a crimson king with bloody eyes, to lead men into the flaming bowels of perdition, to the bloody end of wickedness, as Star Wormword hangs blazing in the sky, as gall gnaws at the vitals of the children, as women’s wombs give forth monstrosities, as the works of men’s hands turn to blood—”

The first mention other than the revised was in W&G:

"At that moment the revving sound of an engine tore into the air. From beyond the fence, on the Forty-sixth Street side of the lot, chugs of dirty brown exhaust ascended like bad-news smoke signals. Suddenly the boards on that side burst open, and a huge red bulldozer lunged through. Even the blade was red, although the words slashed across its scoop—ALL HAIL THE CRIMSON KING—were written in a yellow as bright as panic. Sitting in the peak-seat, his rotting face leering at them from above the controls, was the man who had kidnapped Jake from the bridge over the River Send—their old pal Gasher. On the front of his cocked-back hardhat, the words LAMERK FOUNDRY stood out in black. Above them, a single staring eye had been painted."
    The first time he was EVER mentioned was in Insomnia.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

So, I'm watching "IT" again an something occurred to me that I have been thinking about for a long time. One of the things that first drew me to King 30 yrws ago was that his "horror" was based partially on psychic powers Psy). So, now having read all his works to date I'm wondering what the general opinion of you folks would be to the question "Do you think that most King villains employ psychic powers or the more traditional magic/supernatural (MS) powers". Seems to me that you could make a compelling case for "psychic powers" for at least the Dark Tower series and all of its related novels/short stories.

So, what do you folks think on the matter? "Psy or MS"? Feel free to explain your thoughts in detail.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Psy.

I base that on my personal first contact with King's works which was either The Stand or the first The Gunslinger. I cannot remember which was my first.
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Okay, seeing as we have a virtual Federal Reserve bank of King fan/collectors here I thought I would pose a question that has long been on my mind regarding TDT series. In all his speaking engagements/Q&A/appearances has anyone ever heard an answer or rationale for the following two part question?

What were his reasoning for including Ted Brautigan and Dinky Earnshaw in the series? Why did he not include some of his obvious candidates such as, Charlie Mcgee (Firestarter), Danny Torrance (The Shining), Tyler Marshall (?) (Black House) or Jack Sawyer (Talisman)?

The question has always kind of nagged at me and I wondered if it was ever posed at one of his appearances in the past. I mean Tyler and Jack seemed like no-brainers though I could maybe understand that, Sawyer had a another story trail to follow and was a character belonging to King and Straub. Tyler, who I believe was referred to as perhaps the most powerful breaker in history, would seem to be a free agent of sorts even though he is a character from the King/Straub novels. I could understand, Danny as well given that he had a distinct story line in mind as evidenced by "Dr. Sleep". Charlie though was/is a powerful potential breaker that had no strings story wise in my mind.

IDK maybe its a moot point but it always bothered me and comes to mind again during a re-read so, I was hoping that among out treasure trove of King fans here someone once heard anything that King may have said that speaks to this question. Your help would be greatly appreciated here. Thank you, folks in advance for any insights you may be able to share!!!!

Along the Path of the Beam Eternal Unity will become famous soon enough Eternal Unity will become famous soon enough Eternal Unity's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Author

New to the forum as well.
    Stephen King is my favorite author.
    I've been a fan of The Dark Tower from July 2005 and the first book by Stephen King which I read was Bag of Bones in October 2003.

I scanned all the information sources about The Dark Tower which are available and hasn't found an answer to the following question:

What was the name of Arthur Eld's ORIGINAL group of knights - Which later became the first gunslingers - and how many knights were they?

Thank you,
    Greg
    Last edited by Eternal Unity; 05-04-2019 at 09:15 AM. Reason: Definition of Stephen King's Career

Traveler Tsip is on a distinguished road

Spoiler:
    I am confused about John Farson/Randall Flagg/Walter O'dim. We know that Flagg = Walter, but there are places that say that Flagg/Walter "served" Farson and also that Walter was Farson.
    So which is it? It they are indeed different entities, then who would "out rank" Farson under the Crimson King?

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

I always assumed it was something like the holy trinity. But then my read began in the 80's. It's been a while.

Servant of Gan Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

From what I remember Farson was a pawn being used by Walter O'dim (born Walter padick) and the crimson king I never remember Walter being referred to as farson.
    Walter Padick
    Walter o'Dim
    Marten Broadcloak are the names associated with the the man in black (not including names from other books)..
    Could be wrong but that's the best of my memory..

Servant of Gan Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I do have a question
    Please don't read spoiler until all 7 books are finished.
    end game

Thanks

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Sai Sheb View Post
    I never remember Walter being referred to as farson.
    Maybe in The Eye of the Dragon....or was that Bronson?

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sai Sheb View Post
    I never remember Walter being referred to as farson.
    Maybe in The Eye of the Dragon....or was that Bronson?

John Farson (also known as The Good Man) was originally a harrier and stage-robber who began to gain a political following in the lands of either Garlan or Desoy while Roland was still a boy. His sigul was the eye of the Crimson King.

Although Farson's name features large in 'Wizard and Glass' he does not actually appear to any of the characters in any of the seven 'Dark Tower' volumes and is only referred to by other characters. Probably due to the confusion of those times, some characters even identify him with Walter/Marten/Flagg. However, John Farson is a separate individual.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

On that ominous tract Whidden will become famous soon enough Whidden will become famous soon enough Whidden's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I have read the whole series 3 times.

I still don't get what or who the Dark Tower is. Show me the thread here that explains it please.

Thanks!!!

On that ominous tract Whidden will become famous soon enough Whidden will become famous soon enough Whidden's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

yeah dudes, this is the answer thread from way way back. Give me the the link to what the Dark Tower is. Explain it to me. Not in this thread, show me a link with spoilers and spell it out, everything...for dummies.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

+ Reply to Thread
Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 23 31 32 33