Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 80 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20 21 22 30 70 ... LastLast

Thread: Dark Tower Same-Number Sets: Who owns them?

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

To each his/her (although this book collecting seems to be 90% a male thing) own. If the person is that interested-and has the financial wherewithal, perhaps they should locate and buy all 500 copies.
    When the person passes on, the books will be re-distributed.
    It's interesting to view, but I've long since determined I won't own a DTI S/L so I'm dispassionate about it.

Gunslinger Apprentice shibus is on a distinguished road shibus's Avatar

Sorry Guys, Wasn't meant to upset or make anybody sick. Rick said it all with "It must have some meaning to them". What's to figure out? They're a Collector-The End.
    I guess it all comes down to a simple choice for me. "Get Busy Living, or Get Busy Dying".

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Gah! The photo won't load here at work.

EDIT: Ok, now I can see it. Wow.

Like Jerome, I don't really expect to own a DTI S/L, but if I ever do, there are two numbers that would be of interest to me. I kind of like the idea that maybe they are in this person's collection because at least that would mean that they're not completely lost to the collecting world.
    Last edited by Patrick; 01-08-2010 at 05:25 PM. Reason: yep

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

I can't see the photo either...

So are they all DT I's? 20 of them? Talk about being able to crush the market if he ever decide to sell....

Servant of Gan Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed

Quote Originally Posted by Rahfa View Post

So are they all DT I's? 20 of them? Talk about being able to crush the market if he ever decide to sell....
    Talk about cornering the market. That's amazing!.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Fsmdr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rahfa View Post

Talk about cornering the market. That's amazing!.
    Doesn't always work:

Silver Thursday was an event that occurred in the silver commodity markets on Thursday 27 March 1980. A steep fall in silver prices led to panic on commodity and futures exchanges.

Background

Nelson Bunker Hunt and Herbert Hunt, the sons of Texas oil billionaire Haroldson Lafayette Hunt, Jr., had for some time been attempting to corner the market in silver. In 1979 the price of silver jumped from $6/oz to an record all-time of high of $48.70/oz. The brothers were estimated to hold one third of the entire world supply of silver (other than that held by governments). The situation for other prospective purchasers of silver was so dire that the jeweller Tiffanys took out a full page ad in the New York Times, condemning the Hunt Brothers and stating We think it is unconscionable for anyone to hoard several billion, yes billion, dollars worth of silver and thus drive the price up so high that others must pay artificially high prices for articles made of silver. [1]
    But in early 1980, the exchange rules regarding leverage were changed, placing heavy restrictions on the purchase of commodities on margin. The Hunt brothers had borrowed heavily to finance their purchases, and as the price began to fall again, dropping over 50% in just four days, they were unable to meet their obligations, causing panic in the markets.
    Silver Thursday

The Hunt brothers had invested heavily in futures contracts through the brokerage firm Bache Halsey Stuart Shields, now Prudential-Bache Securities. When the price of silver dropped below their minimum margin requirement, they were issued a margin call for $100 million. The Hunts were unable to meet the margin call, and facing a potential $1.7 billion loss, the ensuing panic was felt in the financial markets in general, as well as commodities and futures. Many Government officials feared that if the Hunts were unable to meet their debts, some large Wall Street brokerage firms and banks might collapse[2].
    To save the situation, a consortium of US banks provided a $1.1 billion line of credit to the brothers which allowed them to pay Bache which, in turn, survived the ordeal. The U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) later launched an investigation into the Hunt brothers, who had failed to disclose that they in fact held a 6.5% stake in Bache. [3]
    Aftermath

The Hunts lost over a billion dollars through this incident but the family fortunes survived. They pledged most of their assets, including their stake in Placid Oil, as collateral for the rescue loan package they obtained. However the value of their assets (mainly holdings in oil, sugar and real estate) decline steadily during the 1980s, and their estimated net wealth declined from $5billion in 1980 to less than $1billion in 1988.[4]
    In 1988 the brothers were found guilty on federal charges of conspiracy to corner the market in silver. They were ordered to pay $134million in compensation to a Peruvian mineral company that had lost money as a result of their actions. This forced the brothers to declare bankruptcy, in one of the biggest such filings in Texas history.[5]

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by shibus View Post
    Sorry Guys, Wasn't meant to upset or make anybody sick. Rick said it all with "It must have some meaning to them". What's to figure out? They're a Collector-The End.
    You didn't make me sick Shibus, and I actually DO appreciate the information. What I would really like to have is a list of the numbers he has so I would know not to purchase those numbers of the other books should I ever decide to try to put together a matched set myself.

I've known collectors in other areas to do this, and they made me ill too. One fellow was attempting to purchase every copy of one of the works of a certain artist simply because he loved it so much he didn't want anyone else to own a copy of it. Since the artwork was comic related, it was fairly inexpensive at that time, but the edition size was 1500 (and nevermind any A/Ps that might be out there) so he has a very tall order. I'm not saying your friend is like that shibus. The other fellow is collecting out of selfishness and greed. He doesn't want anyone else to own what he considers "his" painting.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I actually think it'd be pretty cool to see that many S/Ls side by side. I can't see Shibus's picture though.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    I can't see Shibus's picture though.
    Neither can I.

BTW, I do have an almost complete set op signed DTs. The Gunslinger unfortunately is the unsigned edition, plus The Drawing of the Three is # 703. The rest is a complete set.

Anyone looking for a missing DT2 -#703? (It's not for sale, but I would consider exchanging it for another SL DT II)

sk

Oops - of course, only 1-500 counts....

Servant of Gan e_taylor will become famous soon enough e_taylor's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Shibus, does he have a PC copy, or two of the Gunslinger??

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

I can't see the picture either.

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.
    Luke : Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I can't see the picture now. I could yesterday.

John

Citizen of Gilead shnnrc01 is on a distinguished road

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

nope,me either.

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

And me neither. Maybe Shibus took it offline again? A pity, I liked the looks of it makes me wonder how many other one-item-multiple-copy collections there are, 'out there'...

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by shibus View Post
    You didn't make me sick Shibus, and I actually DO appreciate the information. What I would really like to have is a list of the numbers he has so I would know not to purchase those numbers of the other books should I ever decide to try to put together a matched set myself.
    I agree with this completely! Haha...I'm looking for a DT II to complete my matched set, and while I wouldn't be all that excited to find out it was someone else's impenetrable collection, I'd at least like to know where it was.

Without seeing the pic, and knowing what it shows, is it a bunch of matched sets? A wide variety of different s/ls?

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

No, the picture basically showed a bookshelf with 19 Gunslinger S/L editions lined up and one lying on top for good measure.

(it's possible not all of them were S/L because I think 3 of them had no slipcase but I can't be sure... but most of them had one)

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I cannot see the photo anymore either.

If I recall correctly from yesterday, there were 21 First Editions of THE GUNSLINGER that Shibus said in his post are all S/L's. Pretty amazing.

As others have commented, it would be interesting to see the list of which numbered copies they are.

I do agree with Jerome's post about the dangers of such a strong position...

Had he sold those at a slow drip starting about 2001-2005, he could have made about $6-$7K per book....now it's down to $4K tops, and he might kill the market entirely if those showed up all at once.

Maerlyn's Imp tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4's Avatar

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    I cannot see the photo anymore either.

As others have commented, it would be interesting to see the list of which numbered copies they are.
    I would not count on getting that list. Assuming it is the guy I think it is (shibus, does his name start with the letter J?), after I determined he was not going to be selling me the book that matched a set I had for sale, I asked him to see if he had the DT1 that matched my personal set (a set that was not for sale), and he was not really interested in looking. I was frustrated by this to say the least.

Lucky for me, a year or two later I did find my matching DT1 , and now like Rahfa, I am only missing DT2 to complete my set.
    FOR SALE OR TRADE

Dark Tower 7 Artist Edition n/a
    The Waste Lands 1st Edition in Shrinkwrap $200
    1984 Grant Gift Edition of The Talisman $400
    Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED
    Signed 1st Edition of Storm of The Century (Paperback)

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Can anyone please repost the picture ?
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
    ------------------------------------------------

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Shibus could, but I think he intentionally removed it, so perhaps we should just let it be.

Gunslinger Apprentice Greg will become famous soon enough Greg will become famous soon enough Greg's Avatar

My Mood
    Relaxed
    Country
    Country Flag

Hello everyone and a Happy New Year from a very cold and snow laden England. I have not been on this site for quite some time and thought I'd drop a line or two and see if anybody may know of the whereabouts of DT 1-3 #281. I am betting that the bloke with all the Gunslingers has mine sitting cosily amongst all it's mates on his bookshelf. I hope he doesn't have a fire!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Any info. would be gratefully received, cheers.

Gunslinger Apprentice shibus is on a distinguished road shibus's Avatar

Hi Guys, Sorry for the delay. Busy days at work,

I did pull the image. I never had permission to post it and put it up thinking I'd share the "That's pretty cool" thing I got when I first saw it. It generated some different imput than I thought it would. Possibly putting the owner in a negative light. I regret not thinking it through before I posted it. I should'nt have without permission.
    I guess it all comes down to a simple choice for me. "Get Busy Living, or Get Busy Dying".

Maerlyn's Imp tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4's Avatar

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

DT3 SL#352

Jmaher....I think this is calling your name.
    FOR SALE OR TRADE

Dark Tower 7 Artist Edition n/a
    The Waste Lands 1st Edition in Shrinkwrap $200
    1984 Grant Gift Edition of The Talisman $400
    Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED
    Signed 1st Edition of Storm of The Century (Paperback)

Citizen of Gilead jemaher will become famous soon enough jemaher will become famous soon enough

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

i thought about it but someone beat me to it

+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 80 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20 21 22 30 70 ... LastLast