Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 28 of 80 FirstFirst ... 18 26 27 28 29 30 38 78 ... LastLast

Thread: Dark Tower Same-Number Sets: Who owns them?

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

A matched set is obviously worth more - it's more unique, more difficult to find, etc. There's no doubt that's true.

However, finding the market for a matched set - especially with it up to 9 books now - is the hard part. Basically, it's a buyer who is going to jump in with both feet all at once...or try to sell their current collection to cover the cost.

It's not like there's 50 people lined up ready to pay $11K or whatever for a matched set.

If you already have 2-3 books, you might buy an unmatched as opposed to matched, just to avoid duplication. That would make sense.

But nobody's going to pay more for an unmatched set...there'd be no reason to. If you're in the market for a full set, and there were two for sale, one matched, one unmatched, I don't think anyone here would deliberately choose the unmatched set if all other factors were equal. If somebody would - that's great, but it wouldn't make sense to me, that's all.

Gunslinger Apprentice RIC #520 will become famous soon enough RIC #520 will become famous soon enough

Great response Divemaster. I would say that I am the Buyer 2, especially for items below a couple hundred dollars. More expensive items, I try be buyer 1, if an item that I have been looking for a long time, then sometimes I many go a little overboard.. if you know what I mean…. . I have more experience in coin collecting and in my experience, as the price of a piece increases, then buyer drifts naturally more towards buyer 1. I have sold many $25 coins on ebay, and the bidding could sometimes go 100-200% more than I have hoped. This doesn’t ever happen with a $500. $1000, $2000 coin. I have been reading and collecting Stevie since the summer of 81. I would estimate 700-800 pieces in my collection. I may have sold a dozen or so King pieces, because I upgraded. So, I am not a seller of King material. I really enjoy the search of the hobby. Some reason the search for King material is more entertaining than any other hobby.. Just recently, I have expanded my collection to include S/N II-VII. I think I purchased them a good price. I am thinking about the best approach to complete the set. I once thought from places like ABE, ebay buy-now, The Collector, etc. that you would have to pay 18-25k for a matching set. I think that that would be a nice premium and really worthwhile for work that would go into building and matching one. I am coming to realize (many of you may disagree and I welcome that, I learn from others) from my observation of the guy trying to sell the UK set for $11k, that may not be the case. In fact, it may cost more to build a matching set from scratch than to negotiate a purchase price… Thoughts?

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, with the new Dark Tower book shipping now, prices for DT sets, partials, full and full same-number have increased. I've sold 3 complete same-number sets 1-7 + LSOE all at $10,000+ in the last 9 months...one set included Desperation matching number and sold for $12,500!

That said, I think value today WITH the new DT book is $9500-$10,000 as a good deal.

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.
    Luke : Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Full set #459 for sale at Betts!

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

GUNSLINGER #196 now resides in divemaster's collection!

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I edited the list to add a comment about #196.

EDIT NOTE:

I updated the comment for further clarity about the rest of the series of this number.
    (Thanks for allowing me to barge in on your post, Jerome.)
    - Patrick
    Last edited by Patrick; 04-26-2012 at 10:05 AM. Reason: additional comment

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

So what might a set consisting of all 8 DT novels, DESPERATION, THE TALISMAN and CHRISTINE (all the same number, all brand new and never opened more than an inch) go for, do you think? I am just curious, have no intention of selling them.
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

Maerlyn's Imp tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4's Avatar

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

Then why do you want to know?

Ha ha...just being a smartass....mostly.

The fact that the Desperation, Talisman, and Christine have numbers that match your DT set adds no extra value to them.

I would ballpark all the books at $9,500-$11,000.
    FOR SALE OR TRADE

Dark Tower 7 Artist Edition n/a
    The Waste Lands 1st Edition in Shrinkwrap $200
    1984 Grant Gift Edition of The Talisman $400
    Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED
    Signed 1st Edition of Storm of The Century (Paperback)

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

Well - I don't agree that it adds no extra value...I think to the right person at the right time, it adds a LOT of extra value.

Of course, I say that as someone who has 22 books with the same number, inc. Desp., Christine, Danse, and many others...

But...the problem is the "right person at the right time" part. Basically, the only customer is a brand new collector who wants to jump in with both feet and buy an almost-complete collection all at once. If you already have half those books, and the number doesn't really interest you, then you're not a customer at any price above the normal value.

Or, the customer could be somebody like Bob or Betts who takes a leap at something very unique that they don't already have in some form...but they aren't going to pay extra for it, since they'll have their eye on it as an investment/resale...or they'll look at it as a curioisity that's neat to have, but not worth jumping through hoops for.

Or, it's a normal collector who is willing to buy this matched set, and maybe sell their other books to offset the cost...that's the likeliest customer to pay anything over and above the market price for all the books.

Having said that - I think the three books you mention get your full set to about $11K...but it would take a lot of time to actually get that price.

I would value my set at $16K minimum. It's below #100, and would be difficult to duplicate - and it even has an Author's Copy in place of the numbered DT II, so you'd still have something to hunt for!

Maerlyn's Imp tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4's Avatar

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Rahfa View Post
    But...the problem is the "right person at the right time" part. Basically, the only customer is a brand new collector who wants to jump in with both feet and buy an almost-complete collection all at once. If you already have half those books, and the number doesn't really interest you, then you're not a customer at any price above the normal value.

Or, it's a normal collector who is willing to buy this matched set, and maybe sell their other books to offset the cost...that's the likeliest customer to pay anything over and above the market price for all the books.
    Yeah....but you have a better chance of being struck by lighting than finding the above.
    FOR SALE OR TRADE

Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

As I sit here on a cushion to relieve the pain of the lightning strike, I thank you both for your answers.
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

Quote Originally Posted by tippy4 View Post
    Yeah....but you have a better chance of being struck by lighting than finding the above.
    Haha...yeah, it would take awhile - but that's why it's worth a lot, because it goes both ways. That buyer won't have any other choices. If you want a super-matched set, then there's only going to be a VERY tiny handful to choose from.

So if you want it, you gotta pay.

Quote Originally Posted by ur2ndbiggestfan View Post
    As I sit here on a cushion to relieve the pain of the lightning strike, I thank you both for your answers.
    Are you saying that's how you got your set?

As my boss always says, "Seriously!!??"

Nah, never been hit by a bolt from the blue, bought them all from Grant as they were released so I guess I got a pretty good deal.

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Rahfa View Post
    This could be me one of these days, for the nine Dark Tower books. I've got matched #464 for six of them, plus mis-matched #s for two others. I could see myself buying a full matched number set and then selling what I've got now to offset the cost. However, I don't see myself doing the same for other Grant books. I don't really care what numbers those are.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Honestly I can't concieve of a situation where I could ever afford it (I've yet to get even one DT s/l book), but I think the idea of having as many books possible with the same number is a pretty cool one. It is the uniqueness of it that appeals to me.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Rabid Billybumbler Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Why would anyone collect books that have the same number?

“The battle between good and evil is endlessly fascinating because we are participants every day.” - Stephen King

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

If you rescue me

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Still need The Gunslinger S/L, but after seven years in the making, this set is almost complete.

Each of these Signed Limited editions is #196

(Not pictured above is TWTTKH S/L #196 which had yet to be released at the time of the photo.)

Quote Originally Posted by biomieg View Post
    GUNSLINGER #196 now resides in divemaster's collection!
    I wish it had been within my budget when it was on the market recently, but I am very happy to hear that THE GUNSLINGER S/L #196 remains in the TDT.org family!

Demon of the Prim TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Up to this point, I always thought of the challenge of getting the S/L from Grant part of the excitement of collecting Dark Tower. I should have been a bit smarter/richer back when I started and bought a secondary market S/L for DTII so I could have progressed from there. Since I didn't win any lottery until DTVII, my collection is just a hodge podge of a few S/L's filled out with artist and/or other first editions. The UK Waterstones S/L is quite a departure for me.

I almost lucked into a complete set when I met my husband's extended family. One of his aunt's had a complete set going back to DTI (I don't know the number), but she died before I had a chance to know the family well enough to "inherit" the set. The remaining family has fallen away a bit, so I don't even really have a chance to get the ones that are there, which is a shame.

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I wish it had been within my budget when it was on the market recently, but I am very happy to hear that THE GUNSLINGER S/L #196 remains in the TDT.org family!
    Patrick, I don't know if you saw this, but in another thread someone asked me about your collection of #196 and my acquisition of the S/L Gunslinger. I responded:

Quote Originally Posted by divemaster View Post
    I could be mistaken but I believe Patrick had a crack at this before I was able to acquire it. And for whatever reason he passed it up. I'd always be willing for a straight-up trade (and I have a non-spine-faded DJ I could marry to it), or even a sale. Let me put it this way--I'd never stand between someone and a same-number set if I can help it, and I wouldn't try to jack someone on the price.

Any time you want to discuss this, just give me a PM.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Very fucking awesome!

If you rescue me

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Patrick, I don't know if you saw this, but in another thread someone asked me about your collection of #196 and my acquisition of the S/L Gunslinger. I responded:

I could be mistaken but I believe Patrick had a crack at this before I was able to acquire it. And for whatever reason he passed it up. I'd always be willing for a straight-up trade (and I have a non-spine-faded DJ I could marry to it), or even a sale. Let me put it this way--I'd never stand between someone and a same-number set if I can help it, and I wouldn't try to jack someone on the price.

Any time you want to discuss this, just give me a PM.
    Hi, I'm way behind in catching up on many of the threads, thanks.

Yes, the prior owner and I talked. The offer was on the table graciously, but the market price for this book is simply out of my budget for the time being.

Thanks for your openness and offer to discuss, I really appreciate it. I was serious that it makes me happy, and gives me peace of mind, to know that he was able to find a home for it and that the book remains in good hands with another fellow collector and TDT.org member that I respect and trust.

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

DT1, DT2, and DT3 S/L #349 offered for sale on 04/28/12 by ebay seller rfbooks.

Same seller was also selling S/Ls of DT456...but did not list # in auctions.
    FOR SALE OR TRADE

Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED

Gunslinger Apprentice RIC #520 will become famous soon enough RIC #520 will become famous soon enough

I have seen some of rfbooks listings on ebay. They seem a little pricey.. Is rfbooks a member here? Just cusrious if he is able to sell anything at his pricing...

Demon of the Prim TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Does anyone in the loop know of a near complete set under the family name Jenkins in Texas? She is the deceased aunt of my hubby, and I know she had at least some if not all of them, but unfortunately she died before I could really chat her up about her collection and that branch of the family has grown a little distant. I'd step on a few toes if I made inroads with them about her book collection, but I will if that collection is in danger of dying out. I've already made a few veiled inquiries, but haven't been able to make my point about keeping the collection complete with them yet. Does anyone what extent this collection is in? I'm afraid that I don't even know a number, I just know that I saw the collection in her bookcase the 1 time I was able to meet her.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 28 of 80 FirstFirst ... 18 26 27 28 29 30 38 78 ... LastLast