Quote Originally Posted by St. Troy View Post
This thing with Amazon & Book Depository has me wondering and trying to apply the logic of publishing to it the best I can, which isn't that great considering I don't work in that world, but here goes:

Let's say the Aug 20 2020 date is an actual date, "actual" meaning they intend to publish on that date. Assuming that, what state would the book be in right now?

I'm thinking:
- if it's done being edited, I would expect it to go to press long before Aug 2020, but
- if it is still undergoing any kind of editorial work, wouldn't putting any date on it be presumptive in the extreme (given Rothfuss' years-long work timelines)?

Or is the editing process only of indefinite length when it's just Rothfuss on his own, prior to submitting to the publisher, and once he starts working with them, it's pretty straightforward (even if still months long)? Perhaps there are simply too many variables for any meaningful conclusions to be reached. I just can't wait for the book.
My guess (and it is a guess) is that if the August 2020 is in any way real, it's probably based on a tentative delivery of the manuscript around the end of this year or early next. I don't know enough about Rothfuss's writing process to know what state the MS is in now is he's planning delivery by end of year - he could be revising a full draft, or have a many-times-revised partial draft.

I may be inferring too much from the podcast interview he did at the end of March, but he didn't sound like he was approaching any kind of milestone that he was excited about. I would guess (and again, it's a guess) that he still has a significant amount to write, or if he has a complete draft, it needs a lot of revising.

HBJ