Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Patrick Rothfuss

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Patrick Rothfuss

Not too long ago I was in The Hague visiting my favorite bookstore, the A(merican) B(ook) C(entre), where I noticed a huge pile of books that looked kind of intriguing:The Wise Man's Fear, by Patrick Rothfuss.

Never heard of him, so I didn't buy it right away, but I did have a closer look (Amazon) and found out it was the second part of a trilogy, Kingkiller Chronicles. Part 1, The Name of the Wind, got some good reviews (plus some bad ones...) so I decided to order it.

Question: did I do the right thing? Has anyone read this series and if so, is it worth my while to order this sequel?
    Thoughts anyone??

sk

Salvation Comes w/ a Cost OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO's Avatar

I love Patrick Rothfuss. The first book was really good, one of the better books I have read recently. I am about half way through The Wise Man's Fear right now and I have loved every minute of it. I just hope he doesn't take as long to write the third book as he did the second. I don't know if I can handle it. I greatly look forward to anything else he writes, though.

He also has an epic beard.
    There's one hole in every revolution, large or small. And it's one word long.. people. No matter how big the idea they all stand under, people are small and weak and cheap and frightened. It's people that kill every revolution.

Kvothe The Bloodless SigTauGimp is on a distinguished road SigTauGimp's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by OchrisO View Post
    I love Patrick Rothfuss. The first book was really good, one of the better books I have read recently. I am about half way through The Wise Man's Fear right now and I have loved every minute of it. I just hope he doesn't take as long to write the third book as he did the second. I don't know if I can handle it. I greatly look forward to anything else he writes, though.

He also has an epic beard.
    QFT.

I found him quite randomly at a bookstore when The Name Of The Wind came out, and instantly fell in love with his writing style.

About halfway through The Wise Man's Fear, and loving that as well. To me, it's a breath of fresh air in the fantasy genre.

And yes, his beard is quite epic.

Elodin: "Tombs is for feckless twits who can't chew their own food. My boy's a Re'lar! He has the feck of twenty men!"

Kvothe: “Books are a poor substitute for female companionship, but they are easier to find.”

Simmon: ”It’s just ointment in case you get burned...but if you mix it with piss, it turns into candy.” Sim’s expression was deadpan. “Delicious candy.”

Were you there to see the Bear?
    YouTube

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks, Jean.
    I had no idea there were already threads on Mr. Rothfuss.

In other news, I just now finished "The Wise Man's Fear"...very, very awesome. Not quite as good as "The Name Of The Wind", IMHO, but still a very enjoyable read.

The one thing that bugs me about this series is the way that the books just seem to suddenly...stop. No real fanfare or anything like that. It is brilliant, in it's own right, because all I can think about after finishing is "How soon until the next one? GIMMEGIMMEGIMME!"...but it's still super-aggravating to me.

Elodin: "Tombs is for feckless twits who can't chew their own food. My boy's a Re'lar! He has the feck of twenty men!"

Kvothe: “Books are a poor substitute for female companionship, but they are easier to find.”

Simmon: ”It’s just ointment in case you get burned...but if you mix it with piss, it turns into candy.” Sim’s expression was deadpan. “Delicious candy.”

YouTube

Honky Mahfah Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Have never read a book from Mr. Rothfuss... but in Nov. he comes to my hometown to present his newest
    book. Think i go to the bookpresentation + signing event, maybe i try to go to a special meet + greet before...

Mother of Dragons Erin will become famous soon enough Erin will become famous soon enough Erin's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm reading The Wise Man's Fear right now and it's great! I love everything about Kvothe while he's at University.
    I am Daenerys Stormborn and I will take what is mine. With fire and blood.

Honky Mahfah Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Stockerlone View Post
    Have never read a book from Mr. Rothfuss... but in Nov. he comes to my hometown to present his newest
    book. Think i go to the bookpresentation + signing event, maybe i try to go to a special meet + greet before...
    Damn.... the complete European Promo Tour ... Cancelled

Gunslinger Apprentice onlylivingboyinny is on a distinguished road onlylivingboyinny's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    I'm reading The Wise Man's Fear right now and it's great! I love everything about Kvothe while he's at University.
    I'll be starting this one soon, absolutely loved TNotW.
    "Everyone suspects himself of at least one of the cardinal virtues, and this is mine: I am one of the few honest people that I have ever known." - Nick Carraway
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald, "The Great Gatsby"

Mother of Dragons Erin will become famous soon enough Erin will become famous soon enough Erin's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Then you will not be disappointed! I think I liked The Wise Man's Fear even better than The Name of the Wind.

*edit* I am very curious though as to how he can tie up all that remains from the story in one more book. I really don't see it happening and think it will branch out past a trilogy.
    I am Daenerys Stormborn and I will take what is mine. With fire and blood.

Gunslinger Apprentice onlylivingboyinny is on a distinguished road onlylivingboyinny's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Agreed 100%. Rothfuss was definitely not expecting the tremendous success of book 1, so any less than two sequels would be a let down.
    "Everyone suspects himself of at least one of the cardinal virtues, and this is mine: I am one of the few honest people that I have ever known." - Nick Carraway
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald, "The Great Gatsby"

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post

*edit* I am very curious though as to how he can tie up all that remains from the story in one more book. I really don't see it happening and think it will branch out past a trilogy.
    I've wondered the same thing quite a bit lately. I just finished up my n'th reread of NotW and WMF, and from where I'm sitting, if he were to tie everything up in one more book, it would be close to the 2K page mark. Not that I'm against that, of course.

YouTube

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Amazon and Book depository listed an Aug 20 2020 date for Doors of Stone; it isn’t known is there’s anything solid behind this.
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by St. Troy View Post
    Amazon and Book depository listed an Aug 20 2020 date for Doors of Stone; it isn’t known is there’s anything solid behind this.
    I wouldn't believe anything unless it's announced by the author or publisher. Rothfuss himself has recently given no guarantees on when it will be done. Any dates you see at this point are fiction.
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

Looking for SubPress Lettered::
    Angel's Game and Prisoner of Heaven (Zafon)
    Ilium (Simmons)

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

My thinking is overzealous, or tricksterish, behavior on the part of someone who thinks they’re in the know when they’re really not...still, I hope.

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

Believe me, I hope it is August 2020. I'm just skeptical that there's good evidence to think that's a real date.
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

Looking for SubPress Lettered::
    Angel's Game and Prisoner of Heaven (Zafon)
    Ilium (Simmons)

Gunslinger Apprentice knightmare has a spectacular aura about knightmare has a spectacular aura about knightmare has a spectacular aura about knightmare's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

You’re probably aware, but if not, Rothfuss has a charity site with store where you can get sign3d copies of all his books for a very fair price.

https://worldbuildersmarket.com/coll...er%20Chronicle
    Seeking:

Suntup Misery Lettered + Rights
    Suntup Shining 1st Paperback Large Art Print

Servant of Gan kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Well . . . Never read him. The Kingkiller series a "not-miss" or? Do not really read fantasy stuff but this seems pretty epic!

seeking: ANYTHING DT related #246
    Ready Plyer One Sub Press S/L
    ANYTHING DT Related #246
    Dead Zone First Edition F/F or NF/NF

Gunslinger Apprentice knightmare has a spectacular aura about knightmare has a spectacular aura about knightmare has a spectacular aura about knightmare's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

It’s pretty special. Almost everyone I know who has read it loves it, but it’s not for absolutely everyone. The writing has a depth regarding music that I haven’t experienced and as a protagonist the lead is both incredible while also very flawed and human. It does take 8 chapters to get going, as they set up the secondary story that someone will be chronicling his life, but it’s not just entertaining with a fantasy aspect, it’s a relatable story of learning, love, and challenges. I highly recommend it.
    Seeking:

Servant of Gan kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Sounds like a ringing endorsement to me. I will add it to my growing stack! Thanks

ANYTHING DT Related #246

My Mood
    Yeehaw

This thing with Amazon & Book Depository has me wondering and trying to apply the logic of publishing to it the best I can, which isn't that great considering I don't work in that world, but here goes:

Let's say the Aug 20 2020 date is an actual date, "actual" meaning they intend to publish on that date. Assuming that, what state would the book be in right now?

I'm thinking:
    - if it's done being edited, I would expect it to go to press long before Aug 2020, but
    - if it is still undergoing any kind of editorial work, wouldn't putting any date on it be presumptive in the extreme (given Rothfuss' years-long work timelines)?

Or is the editing process only of indefinite length when it's just Rothfuss on his own, prior to submitting to the publisher, and once he starts working with them, it's pretty straightforward (even if still months long)? Perhaps there are simply too many variables for any meaningful conclusions to be reached. I just can't wait for the book.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Of course, I'm one of the people who recommends Rothfuss to one and all, but whenever I make recommendations, I can't forget that everything I've ever read that felt like a total waste of time is beloved by someone.

Country
    Country Flag

Of course, I'm one of the people who recommends Rothfuss to one and all, but whenever I make recommendations, I can't forget that everything I've ever read that felt like a total waste of time is beloved by someone.
    Ha! Never thought of that. Even Pauley Shore movies! Predator 2!

ANYTHING DT Related #246

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Absolutely right! While I don’t understand someone not loving Kingkiller Chronicles that certainly doesn’t make them wrong. I’ve heard some decent points by people who find it a little slow, which is certainly fair. I just say that there are a few books in adulthood I have read twice and I’ve gone through Name of the Wind and Wise Mans Fear over 20 times. It’s like a favorite song, when all else fails....
    Seeking:

My Mood
    Yeehaw

When we have a real release date, and The Doors Of Stone is 2 - 3 months away, I will begin re-reading The Name Of The Wind and The Wise Man's Fear.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast