Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 28 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 24 ... LastLast

Thread: The Collectible Dan Simmons

Gunslinger Apprentice Rooster will become famous soon enough

I noticed that there aren't any pictures of the lettered Ilium and Olympos here -- or anywhere, it seems. If someone wants to see what they look like, here are a couple of pictures:

Demon of the Prim goheat will become famous soon enough goheat will become famous soon enough goheat's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Rooster View Post
    I noticed that there aren't any pictures of the lettered Ilium and Olympos here -- or anywhere, it seems. If someone wants to see what they look like, here are a couple of pictures:
    Wow, thanks for posting those beauties! Subterranean Press certainly knows how to produce amazing books! I am drooling over those...
    "God punishes us for what we cannot imagine." - Stephen King, Duma Key

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

What are these priced at? Or worth?
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Quote Originally Posted by goheat View Post
    Wow, thanks for posting those beauties! Subterranean Press certainly knows how to produce amazing books! I am drooling over those...
    No problem! And yeah, SubPress has really done good work with the Simmons lettereds. The Drood, the Terror, the oversized Cantos, and these puppies... The Black Hills (which I don't have, but have seen it somewhere on this site) also looks really sleek.

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    What are these priced at? Or worth?
    They issued at $500, I believe. But their worth? I haven't the slightest.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm REALLY glad that I'm not collecting Simmons limiteds. I would want them all, and I just don't have the space!

John

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    I'm REALLY glad that I'm not collecting Simmons limiteds. I would want them all, and I just don't have the space!

John
    John... I am worried about myself... I can't start.. I won't!!!
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Demon of the Prim Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jsmcmullen92 View Post
    So I have never read Simmons and want to start with the Cantos Series. Does anyone have spare copies they are willing to sell? Preferably 1/1 but not an absolute deal breaker if not.
    I'm not trying to split hairs, but it's the Hyperion Cantos. Cantos just describes a division of a larger piece of work. Again, not trying to be an A-hole, just making a comment.

Demon of the Prim goheat will become famous soon enough goheat will become famous soon enough goheat's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

John
    John, not trying to tempt you, but I did get this Simmons' proof recently, with all the promo letters :

"God punishes us for what we cannot imagine." - Stephen King, Duma Key

I've started putting books in my wardrobe. The clothes are now on chairs in my room. I guess I could fit them all if I did some serious min-maxing of space, but hey, the system works... Cough.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    I'm not trying to split hairs, but it's the Hyperion Cantos. Cantos just describes a division of a larger piece of work. Again, not trying to be an A-hole, just making a comment.
    You're right, of course. I did the original mistake.

Si em, tow en can de lach jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmcmullen92 View Post
    So I have never read Simmons and want to start with the Cantos Series. Does anyone have spare copies they are willing to sell? Preferably 1/1 but not an absolute deal breaker if not.
    Hey no worries. I like to learn, I have yet to read anything by him so all info is new info to me. thanks for the fix

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by goheat View Post

John
    John, not trying to tempt you, but I did get this Simmons' proof recently, with all the promo letters :

John, you're BAD!!!

John

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Those are simply wonderful. This is what limited editions should look like - so much better than the fancy books with glossy DJs and satin-lined traycases we see so often these days. Really nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Rooster View Post

Demon of the Prim Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm actually liking all this Dan Simmons love. The guys here turned me on to him a few years ago with The Terror and I have read nearly all of his works since. I have loved almost all of them. The ones I didn't love we're still good.

Gunslinger Apprentice bugen will become famous soon enough bugen's Avatar

Wow, Rooster, thanks for the pics of the lettered Ilium and Olympos! I've never seen them.
    “Reality is a nice place to visit, but you wouldn’t want to live there.”
    -John Barth

bugensbooks.com

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Never saw them either.
    These are gorgeous books.
    Wanna sell??

sk

bugen, no problem! I like to look up pictures of the rarer editions myself, so I'm always frustrated when there's absolutely none available on the Net. So, I'm glad to fill this particular void.

frik, I might've been so inclined if I didn't have "my" letter (i.e., "P")! Because, and I'll confess, I never particularly cared for Olympos. Ilium is the bee's knees, yes, but Olympos disappointed me.

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I haven't read either book yet, and do own the numbered editions, but this lettered set is simply amazing.

sk

Citizen of Gilead Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker's Avatar

There is a halloween special at www.vjbooks.com right now on a bunch of different titles, but i saw 3 Simmons S/L's including Endymion all for %40 off. Hope this helps anyone who has been looking for them.
    "Thanks, but no, it isn't a cowboy hat. It's a fedora. And yes, Indianna Jones is still socially relevant."

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

John
    I'm having to exercise some will power myself on this. I have many 1st editions of Simmons signed, but only two limiteds. It's really tempting to get into this, but when you do, you know where that goes... signed 1st trade editions, limited editions, proofs.... will have to resist for now.

Quote Originally Posted by biomieg View Post
    Those are simply wonderful. This is what limited editions should look like - so much better than the fancy books with glossy DJs and satin-lined traycases we see so often these days. Really nice!
    I agree, those limited editions look really sharp. Few "bells & whistles", but such a great 'classic' sort of look.

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I've never ever understood the english title of CARRION COMFORT until now : the french wikipedia explains it.
    Here is a quick translation of this part of the page that is not in the english wikipedia article :

"The original title of the novel by Dan Simmons, Carrion Comfort , is the title of a poem written around 1885 by the British poet and Jesuit priest Gerard Manley Hopkins2 . This poem , whose title means " putrid comfort " describes the strenuous efforts of the poet to resist the " abyss of despair and without future" which opens at 3 lui4 ."

It always intrigued me as the french title of this novel is THE CHESS-SET OF EVIL.
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
    ------------------------------------------------

Gunslinger Apprentice NoahM will become famous soon enough NoahM will become famous soon enough NoahM's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

What a gorgeous set!! I'm only missing a few Simmons lettered editions, among them these two. Super-jealous!! Thanks so much for sharing the photos!!!
    Looking for the following lettered editions: Dark Forces, 999, Crown of Shadows (Hill)

Thank you for the kind words! I'm also missing a few SubPress lettereds: Black Hills and Flashback. Also missing all the lettereds from the other publishers except "Children of the Night", which I have here somewhere.

Gunslinger Apprentice NoahM will become famous soon enough NoahM will become famous soon enough NoahM's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I missed out on the Black Hills lettered, but have Flashback. I have all the lettered editions from all the other publishers except for Song of Kali, which was too expensive upon publication for me, but boy am I regretting it now!! :-)
    Looking for the following lettered editions: Dark Forces, 999, Crown of Shadows (Hill)

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

I think the lettered Song of Kali by Earthling is the single most beautiful book in my entire collection.

Si em, tow en can de lach jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post
    I think the lettered Song of Kali by Earthling is the single most beautiful book in my entire collection.
    I hear that a lot. Why does everyone say that? I have never seen it but what puts it so far above the rest?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 28 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 24 ... LastLast