Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast

Thread: The Collectible Dan Simmons

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

The book was only available to attendees -- those left over were pulped, as I understand it. I snagged an extra copy when I registered so I could send one to Dan. He was the Grand Master of the convention but was unable to attend. I presented him as Grand Master in absentia during the opening ceremonies.

Gunslinger Apprentice NoahM will become famous soon enough NoahM will become famous soon enough NoahM's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Wow - that's so wild that you got to present Dan Simmons (even if he wasn't there!). Yes, I know the programmes were limited to attendees. I have loads of previous WHC programmes, even though I've never been to one. You can usually find them for sale via the usual channels online. . .was pulping the unclaimed copies a practice unique to 2013, or is that always the protocol? Jeez, someone should have gone from table to table and collected all of the untaken ones for later resale!! This is reminding me of The New Lieutenant!!

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

Here's the inside page where Simmons' excerpt appears.

Gunslinger Apprentice NoahM will become famous soon enough NoahM will become famous soon enough NoahM's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

So cool!! Why was the novel abandoned?

I'm not sure. He told me it was very scary. Maybe it's just on the back burner. He tends to take a lot of time with his books.

Country
    Country Flag

I hope you're right!! It's been a long time since he's written a full-on horror novel. Fingers crossed it isn't fully abandoned. . .

Servant of Gan Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

A couple of new ones for the shelves:

from Murder By The Book

If I had just known what Bev looked liked I could have gotten my DT ARC signed!

You were at the Houston signing? I was the one who asked the last question: what he was working on now.

Demon of the Prim Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post
    You were at the Houston signing? I was the one who asked the last question: what he was working on now.
    What was the answer?

He’s currently working on a book called Omega Canyon that deals with the Manhattan Project and espionage and Richard Feynman.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I just got notice that my signed copy of The Fifth Heart has shipped from Poisoned Pen.

John

Demon of the Prim Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post
    He’s currently working on a book called Omega Canyon that deals with the Manhattan Project and espionage and Richard Feynman.
    Sounds intriguing! Can't wait!

Servant of Gan Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Yep. Low profile blend in. I'm just a bit south of Houston down 45 for now.
    Not many people there in my opinion.

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

Just finished The Fifth Heart. It was well written and very entertaining with a couple of Easter eggs for added measure. I have recently been reading a lot of Sherlock Holmes, including Anthony Horowitz's two recent novels (The House Of Silk and Moriarity), and TFH is a worthy addition to the canon.

Citizen of Gilead swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek's Avatar

My Mood
    Relaxed

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Mears View Post
    Just finished The Fifth Heart. It was well written and very entertaining with a couple of Easter eggs for added measure. I have recently been reading a lot of Sherlock Holmes, including Anthony Horowitz's two recent novels (The House Of Silk and Moriarity), and TFH is a worthy addition to the canon.
    Thanks for your thoughts on this, Ben. Looking forward to it. Incidentally- if you're reading SH pastiche's- I'd highly recommend Edward B Hanna's THE WHITECHAPEL HORRORS (1993). Yes, it yet another Holmes Vs Jack THe Ripper, but it's so well done it rises above all the rest, I feel. If anyone's interested, here's a link to a remainder TP for $4.95:
    http://www.hamiltonbook.com/the-whit...herlock-holmes

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by swintek View Post
    Thanks for your thoughts on this, Ben. Looking forward to it. Incidentally- if you're reading SH pastiche's- I'd highly recommend Edward B Hanna's THE WHITECHAPEL HORRORS (1993). Yes, it yet another Holmes Vs Jack THe Ripper, but it's so well done it rises above all the rest, I feel. If anyone's interested, here's a link to a remainder TP for $4.95:
    Thanks Ron; I'll check it out.
    I recently sent Bill at Sub Press an email imploring him to do a Summer Of Night 25th anniversary limited edition in 2016 with Banished Dreams and Watching The Presidential Debates in Elm Haven included in appendices. Maybe if there is a groundswell of support he will give it serious consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by Lurker View Post
    Yep. Low profile blend in. I'm just a bit south of Houston down 45 for now.
    Not many people there in my opinion.
    Yes, it was a small turnout. Simmons probably isn't that well known among the mystery group, his "hard case" novels notwithstanding.

Citizen of Gilead swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek's Avatar

My Mood
    Relaxed

Quote Originally Posted by swintek View Post
    Thanks Ron; I'll check it out.
    I recently sent Bill at Sub Press an email imploring him to do a Summer Of Night 25th anniversary limited edition in 2016 with Banished Dreams and Watching The Presidential Debates in Elm Haven included in appendices. Maybe if there is a groundswell of support he will give it serious consideration.
    This is a no-brainer. I, too, have asked Bill about doing this and he wasn't interested at the time. That was a few years ago, so maybe we can change his mind now. I'll have to start bothering him again- he loves that. What a great book- and truly terrifying at parts.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I just got my ARC of The Fifth Heart. $20.96!!!

John

Demon of the Prim goheat will become famous soon enough goheat will become famous soon enough goheat's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    I just got my ARC of The Fifth Heart. $20.96!!!

John
    Awesome, congratulations to you, John!
    "God punishes us for what we cannot imagine." - Stephen King, Duma Key

Gunslinger Apprentice uturn83 will become famous soon enough

My Mood
    Cheerful

My Poisoned Pen personalized Fifth Heart arrived today- they even put it in a protective cover which I appreciated!

Country
    Country Flag

Got my inscribed Fifth Heart yesterday too. A Summer of Night S/L would be fantastic!
    Looking for the following lettered editions: Dark Forces, 999, Crown of Shadows (Hill)

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I got my flat-signed Fifth Heart from Poisoned Pen today, also in a Brodart cover.

John

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

I got a proof/ARC today. Finally found one for sale. $15.

Still waiting on Poisoned Pen but I ordered after you guys did.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast